01. Hand In Hand
02. You Belong To Me
03. The Beat
04. Pump It Up
05. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

oh, and the weakest track: "This Year's Girl"

(i bet most people would say that isn´t such thing as weakest song, when were discussing about This Year´s Model)
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

1. Chelsea

2. Hand In Hand

3. Pump It Up

4. This Years Girl

5. Radio Radio

weakest track for me is Living In Paradise
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

001. The Beat
002. Lipstick Vogue
003. Pump It Up
004. Chelsea
005. Hand In Hand

Chelsea is by far my most overplayed song by Elvis. So it probably deserves a number one on here, but I've listened to it too much.

The Beat is so brilliant and layered.

The weakest track for me is "You Belong to Me", or "Not Action".
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

1. No Action
2. Lip Service
3.Hand In Hand
4. This Year's Girl
5. Lipstick Vogue

Weakest track: Night Rally
Last edited by BlueChair on Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bob And Charlotte

and finally BlueChair appear in defense of the first song on the record.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I love it! The perfect start to a great album. I must say though, I do prefer the earlier live versions of "No Action", sometimes referred to as "There's No Action." A bit longer and rawer.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

1. Lipstick Vogue
2. Radio Radio
3. No Action
4. Little Triggers
5. Chelsea
signed with love and vicious kisses
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

... so ends the 'Hand In Hand' streak.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

No Action
The Beat
Lipstick Vogue
Little Triggers
Hand In Hand
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

1. You Belong to Me
2. Lip Service
3. Pump It Up
4. (I Don't Want to go to) Chelsea
5. Radio, Radio
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
bobster

Post by bobster »

This Year's Girl
Night Rally
No Action
Lip Service
Hand in Hand
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

LITTLE TRIGGERS! I'm a fool...
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

1. Radio, Radio
2. No Action
3. The Beat
4. Lipstick Vogue
5. Living in Paradise
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Tsk tsk to all those who list Radio, Radio. As celebrated on the 'top 10 singles' thread, there once was a golden time when artists were so bursting with it and record companies were so mad for it they put out singles that weren't on LPs. Gilli, how can an original like you describe RR as a TYM track? You ran out and bought the vinyl in 1978, and did it have RR on it? Precisely. We've had this before with Detectives and MAIT, and it's probably the case that the US edition contained it, but that ain't the point.

Yours,

Angry of Tunbridge Vinylville
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Watching The Detectives is a My Aim Is True track.
Radio Radio is a This Year's Model track.

That's all I will contribute to this one...
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

Technically, no. Sort of in the same way that "North" is not a North track. I suppose it's like deleted scenes in movies. Are they still canon? I say no.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

So if somebody asks you what album Radio, Radio is on, you say "it's not on one"?

I bet you don't. "Radio" and "Watching" all got added fairly shortly after and have been a part of each record ever since. When you guys put in MIAT or TYM, do you turn it off before the last track to get that album experience? I doubt it again.

A scene might be deleted from a film, but if it's added to the dvd release and is a part of that movie in each release after that, it's still pretty much a part of the movie. We can get technical and go grab the old film reel, but what a waste of time!
daybreaker

Post by daybreaker »

The Beat
You Belong To Me
Little Triggers
Living In Paradise
Lipstick Vogue
John

Post by John »

Must depend on where you live and when you bought the album.
I don't associate either track with either album.
At the moment my only copies of MAIT are the vinyl LP and my own CD copy of it without WTD. WTD is so different to the album, different personnel for a start.
I've recently bought the 2cd reissue of TYM after only owning the LP for 24 years and can't get used to Radio Radio tagged on to the end. Surely the sudden ending of Night Rally was always meant to be the close of the album.
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
Bob And Charlotte

You may call me a purist, but i really don´t consider both tracks as being part of those records.

(its more or less like end Infidels with Blind Willie McTell. - It is a great song, but it wasnt intended to end that record!)
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Wasn't "Radio, Radio" on the original US release of TYM?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No doubt it was, but as a US record company decision to try and shift units. If someone asks me what album Radio, Radio is on I would laugh and say none, of course. Same with sticking PLU on at the end of AF. No, I don't switch the CD off, but it isn't 'right' in terms of the vision the artist had of his LP. In fact, your film analogy is the opposite of the truth: most deleted scenes are because of the pressure rom the studio to not make the film too long or whatever, and have to wait for the 'director's cut' to be reinstated. The original LP as released in the UK is the 'songwriter's cut', anything else is an aberration which has come to pass as the standard on reissues with time to make life easier by conforming to the one global issue.

The sad thing is you're missing the sense of creativity here. It was a time when these people had so much output they could conceive 45s that were separate entities as well as put out a full LP every year. They all did it, Elvis, The Jam The Clash, loads of others, in a tradition going back to The Beatles and probably before. Singles were glorious artistic statements in their own right, they didn't have to be on an LP to justify their commercial existence. Yes, John is right in terms of the punter's perception that it depends on when and where you're from, but in terms of the EC purist's standpoint, there is no debate.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i know it was a b-side ...but the number 1 track for me is: big tears

2. little triggers
3. lip service
4. this year´s girl
5.radio radio
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:No doubt it was, but as a US record company decision to try and shift units. If someone asks me what album Radio, Radio is on I would laugh and say none, of course. Same with sticking PLU on at the end of AF. No, I don't switch the CD off, but it isn't 'right' in terms of the vision the artist had of his LP. In fact, your film analogy is the opposite of the truth: most deleted scenes are because of the pressure rom the studio to not make the film too long or whatever, and have to wait for the 'director's cut' to be reinstated. The original LP as released in the UK is the 'songwriter's cut', anything else is an aberration which has come to pass as the standard on reissues with time to make life easier by conforming to the one global issue.

The sad thing is you're missing the sense of creativity here. It was a time when these people had so much output they could conceive 45s that were separate entities as well as put out a full LP every year. They all did it, Elvis, The Jam The Clash, loads of others, in a tradition going back to The Beatles and probably before. Singles were glorious artistic statements in their own right, they didn't have to be on an LP to justify their commercial existence. Yes, John is right in terms of the punter's perception that it depends on when and where you're from, but in terms of the EC purist's standpoint, there is no debate.

If anything, YOU'RE the one who isn't putting the artist's vision in mind. I didn't see "the artist" doing anything to stop these songs from being on the album... because maybe he WANTED them on the album. Given that he plays both songs in his live set, and has for over 25 years... I'd say he likes 'em.

AND he played them both on SNL. The artist's vision is obviously for these songs to be released. Who the hell are you to say they shouldn't be? Stop trying to act like the record company just threw it on randomly, especially when there was no resistance to the decision.

You're not a purist, you're just looking for something to cry about.