"South" ???

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

"South" ???

Post by migdd »

I'm sure almost everybody on this board is getting pretty excited about the new EC&I recording now in progress and due out in the autumn. Here's some food for thought and fuel for the fires of anticipation. This new album is being recorded in at least 3 different studios with a different producer at the helm at each location. The recordings are bookended by 2 concert "rehearsals" at small clubs. Presumably, these shows are being recorded.

I wonder how many different recorded versions of each new song will rise out of all of these environments! I can see a mountain of unreleased material of live and "alternate" versions on the far horizon. The last "band" albums (Brutal Youth and All This Useless Beauty) book-ended the Attractions "reunion" and final break-up so neither were total "band"
efforts and it seems that in both cases, just enough material was recorded with the full band to fill the albums - not much in the way of interesting alternate material. (Some of you may disagree with this point.)

Anyway, with a reported 23 new songs being rehearsed (and probably a few that haven't seen the light of day yet), I wonder how much of this potential material will be released before, during or after the official release.

Anybody care to join in on these musing?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Im sure any unused songs from the album will find their way to the magical world of the Interweb, like everything else, before too long.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I hope it doesn't end up being titled 'South'.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

migdd wrote:The last "band" albums (Brutal Youth and All This Useless Beauty)...

... just enough material was recorded with the full band to fill the albums - not much in the way of interesting alternate material.
At least not in terms of previously unreleased songs which do appear on those respective reissued albums; there could be many more, just waiting to surface. Many of the ATUB extras (and ATUB songs for that matter) had been written years before. And the BY bonus disc is largely occupied by demos, so who knows(?) But as demonstrated by some of the demos, like Poisoned Letter (plus Alibi Factory, The Land Of Give And Take, etc), he likes to hang on to stuff to recycle it.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I dunno, South as a wroking title is quite cool....EC's music from the deep south album!

Wonder if they'll be a banjo on the album!

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I highly doubt the album will be called South. I think people are taking one of his stage jokes a little too seriously. :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I hope it's that. When he mentioned it at the Seattle show, I thought it was a joke. Then the Seattle Times, in their review of the show, noted the new material as being from the upcoming "South". I assumed they were just stupid, but when I read about "South" being the working title, I started thinking maybe he wasn't joking.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I have a feeling the author of the review just took the joke a bit too seriously, but I could be wrong. It certainly seemed in the concert to be a joke though :P
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

I think EC is a bit more clever and artistic to come up with a better name then "South." But you never know with him.
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Going South wouldn't be a bad title.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Did everyone get these tv ads or was it just the more hickish areas of the US?

And in case you don't know what the hell that is, this is the CD: http://www.body-dome-online.com/products/967055887.html

As Blue said "whoa, it's white trash rock!" :lol:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I deliberately didn't say Goin' because of that movie.

Hmm.... ok, what about Southbound...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Highway 61 Revisited Revisited
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Southern Rock Ditties Vol. 1, featuring Sweet Home Alabama and special guest Ted Nugent.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Y'allmost Bluegrass
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Goin' down South like in Kinder Murder??? or.?
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Southern Accent :lol: .
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

southern exposure.

southern comfort.

southern nights. (please not this....)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

>>southern nights. (please not this....)

Actually a GREAT Allen Toussaint album. I recommend it highly and I am sure EC would agree.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I was actually thinking of, god help me, Glen Campbell. I think.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Glen Campbell recorded the single which was written by Allen Toussaint. You should check Allen's version which is on the classic album by the same name.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

sabreman, if "Last Train" and "You Will Not Lose" are any indication of that albums worth, I will pick it up in my next set of CD purchases. Two great songs.

Allen Toussiant is a genius. My favourite story about Mr. Toussaint is how he wrote horn arrangements for a bunch of The Band's songs for the live shows that ended up resulting in The Band's fantastic live album, Rock Of Ages. Apparently all he wanted was a pad of paper, a piano, and a tape of all the songs that they wanted arrangements for.

In the end, he LOST the arrangements, but managed to transcribe them by ear. And of course, when listening to the album the horns add so much to the songs!

What a talent... of course, we all know of his various EC connections too, but what a talent.[/i]
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

BC, I think you are going to really like the Southern Nights album. It is a great concept album. As Doctor John says 'The Great' Allen Toussaint!

I would also recommend reading Dr. Johns auto biography. There are some great stories about NO music scene and especially James Booker.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Southern Harmonies With His Musical Companions