When the new E.C. album leaks...

Pretty self-explanatory
wehitandrun

When the new E.C. album leaks...

Post by wehitandrun »

... will you download it?

It usually leaks around a month and a half before release. Knowing that you will definitly purchase it(or maybe not, depending on your ethics), will you download it out of anticipation and desparation to hear it?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Nah...

I downloaded some of WIWC in advance, and didn't like it nearly as much as when I heard the album in proper order and as intended.

I kind of like the anticipation, and running to the record store on the day of release, buying the record, getting home, and putting it on for the first time.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Downloading WIWC is actually what got my Elvis love going(the albums was already out at the time though).

I'm not sure why I did, I just remember "Alibi" and "Episode Of Blonde" blowing me away. "Veronica" was my first love, I think I got that a little bit before the other two.
Misha

Post by Misha »

I probably won't. I mean, I like the whole package. I have downloaded stuff off the net for free....but it has only caused me to buy more cds....I've actually bought more since learning how to get stuff for free. I'm always too curious to see what else is in the package....

In the case of EC...I can't imagine not having the whole package.....I need the artwork, the font, the everything. I like the anticipation, too.....
The rush just like Blue sez...

:wink:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I also like the anticipation.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

I definitely will not download the album. I love opening the wrapper on the day of its release and listening to it for the first time.
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I DID download "North" and enjoyed having a sneak preview. But it meant that the moment of excitement at settling down with the new record was definitely lost. (And I did buy the official release too!)

I will therefore wait until the new record hits the shops sometime this autumn.
And then buy it again when the "tour" edition comes out, with a bonus disc of live material from the shows in Oxford etc.
:D
Four eyes - one vision
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Definitely not.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Ok.....well I know that you think that I am out to persecute you WHAR, and I dont want to perpetuate your perceived feud...etc.....but I have to say that I think your attitude to this issue is disappointing (not just from this thread). Fans should buy the f***ing record and stop being such 24 carat tightarses (as we say in the good old U of K).

And pleeeeeasse WHAR stop making your banners so bloody big in an attempt to make us listen that bit harder...I can read your opinion...I don't need it rammed down my throat!!
:x
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

What's the point in sitting waiting for it to download,and listening to a shit quality version through computer speakers? We're all gonna buy it anyway...why not wait.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I agree with the concensus. Long may that anticipation and its fulfilment live.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

I agree with the concensus! I had a tape of Blood&Chocolate a good month before it's release. Of course I bought the official CD (and vinyl!) but they just got put on the shelf! I had worn the album out before its' release!
migdd

Post by migdd »

After saying that. . .I'd love to have a tape or CD of one of the shows in Oxford or Memphis! The anticipation iskilling me. This is going to be a VERY long summer!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Actually, it won't be shit quality. When it leaks it is the actual mastered version, in the same track order... not demos. I thought you guys were more educated on the subject, since you're so against it. I can't wait to hear the new album before you guys, then buy it when it comes out.

It isn't my banner, I didn't make it. I am just one out of a few thousand to use it.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

wehitandrun wrote:It isn't my banner, I didn't make it. I am just one out of a few thousand to use it.
So you stole the banner also. :wink:
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha, noooo. Goto the site that is advertised. :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:Actually, it won't be shit quality. When it leaks it is the actual mastered version, in the same track order... not demos. I thought you guys were more educated on the subject, since you're so against it. I can't wait to hear the new album before you guys, then buy it when it comes out.
MP3 is always shit quality compared to the actual CD. And it still ruins the anticipation. And while you may be able to download all of the tracks, that doesn't mean you are going to listen to them in order.

We have a community of true blue Elvis fans here that heed Elvis' call when he says he doesn't like people downloading his songs in mp3 format. We also like the anticipation of going out to the store on new release Tuesday, buying the album, and hearing it for the first time.

I'm not going to tell you to stop filesharing or stop listening to mp3's, but perhaps from now on you can use a bit more discretion rather than shoving it down everyone's throats.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Blue, when the mp3s are ripped directly from the cd... it is not "shit quality" by any means. All of the mp3's on my computer are just fine, especially the ones ripped from the master cds I own.

Now, anticipation... I guess that's all up to you, which is why I made the thread. My anticipation is to hear Elvis's music, not look a sparkly 29 cent jewel case(which incidently costs 18$)- because most leaks are complete with the front and back covers of the album(as .jpg files usually, but vary).

*EDIT: but don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy it. But I will listen to it EXCESSIVELY before I do so.

And what order you listen to it is your own choice... noone says if I buy it i'll listen to it in that order, but it COMES that way... just as when it leaks.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I seem to remember there being quite a few on here who had early access to WIWC & North and I had the means to but didn't bother (the fact that I have a slow connection does come into it). There is no point in getting high and mighty about it, I for one don't feel as if I owe EC anything as I've bought most of albums several times over and whether I download the new tracks or not will not influence whether I buy the new album (I will). File sharing is a good means to get to know artists that you are unfamiliar with and increases the liklihood of cd sales. I think the major loss to artistes is probably pirating of legit cds via ebay etc.
signed with love and vicious kisses
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

That is a point worth taking.

Thankyou so lacklustre for seriously responding to both filesharing topics without a persecuting attitude about it (and without a "Elvis's word is the word of God" opinion either).
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

WHAR--I don't know enough about the subject to comment intelligently, so I won't. But I'm curious as to why, if the quality of the music is so good, and the covers can obtained in their complete form, you would bother to purchase it at all?

And no, I won't download the new album. Delay of gratification is good for the soul.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

WHAR, I hope you are not intimating that other well-informed responses to your positions weren't 'serious' just because they didn't gibe with your opinions. My feelings on this topic have nothing to do with your age, class, race, gender, religion or national origin. I just think you are wrong. That's why in another post I told you to go on ahead with it if you have no moral problems with it. It doesn't make a lick of difference to me or anyone else how you choose to conduct yourself. I don't think you are 'wrong' on this issue; its just that your feelings and mine are different. Although some people have had strong words, I don't feel you've been 'persecuted' by anyone. You are simply in the minority on this particular topic in this particular forum.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

No pophead, I was not implying that about you. I was referring to some opinionated comments from Blue (not about me directly, "Shitty indie bands").

But yeah, same applies here, I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

I'll post a review of the album on here, and if you want to read it then you can. I won't give anything spectacular away.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Post what you like, WHAR, but your opinion(s) seems to be so peripheral and antagonistic to right-thinking contributors of this forum that your review of an EC recording would have, for me, the value and merit of a pedophiles review of a Billy Crystals new book "I Already Know I Love You."

I won't be following that thread. One less long post from Mr. Average that you'll need to suffer through (I thought I would say it for you...save you some time).
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

The new trend in downloading seems to be SHN, APE and FLAC files on BitTorrent(peer to peer) downloads. These formats are lossless compression, so there isn't a quality issue anymore. SHN, APE and FLAC formats aren't as popular as MP3's because of the large file size and longer downloads, but you can find just about anything you want out there.

I personally don't have a problem with downloading but I do believe that it should be up to the musician. I've been in bands for 18 years, it was my only source of income for a couple years. I firmly believe that downloading doesn't hurt album sales. Sales numbers were at an all time high in 99 when Napster was at it's peak. The RIAA complains about lower revenues the last few years and tries to blame downloading(how bout the economy), but what they don't tell you is that they're only putting out about 60% of the releases they had from 1998 to 2000. Their gross revenues are down but their margines are up. The RIAA is just blowing smoke and people are buying it.

That being said I don't have any illegal downloads. If I hear something I like I buy it but honestly I don't find much out there that interests me so it's not a problem. I'd rather pay to see smaller live bands play than support anything on MTV. If I find a lossless copy of Elvis' new album I might have a listen to it. I'll still buy it when it comes out just like the 20+ others that I own.