What´s the Costello record that a new fan must be apart from

Pretty self-explanatory
Bob And Charlotte

What´s the Costello record that a new fan must be apart from

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

... until he´s really a loyal fan?

For example: I would never recommend Dylan´s Knocked Out Loaded for one that only has five of his records...

For what i read in some reviews the album that i must avoid is Kojak Variety. Is that right? Is it really Costello´s worst moment?:
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Juliet Files...... :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Pov

Post by Pov »

Juliet Letters, For the Stars (unless you really like Sofie Van Otter), Goodbye Cruel World. I'm on the fence about Mighty Like a Rose.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

For the Stars is really the only one I would say. All the rest seem to represent some real musical love of EC and are inspired.

Also, don't go out of your way to avoid Kojak Variety - it has some good songs.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Kojak Variety is great- a really unpretentious group of covers that were recorded very quickly and simply. I think KV is a lot of fun. Elvis' cover of 'Strange' is worth it alone.
Bob And Charlotte

every boards has its Eggrert....

so Kojak isn´t a bad album?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I'd normally say Get Happy!! But my mind has been changed on that album. But, then again, it's a mess to virgin ears.

Punch The Clock or Get Happy!! would seem difficult to get into.
Last edited by wehitandrun on Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

To actually answer your question, For the Stars (while not a terrible album) would be the last one I would give someone trying to get into Elvis. Probably likewise The Juliet Letters or Painted From Memory (both of which I love, but not at first listen).
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

I have never been able to appreciate KV like the rest of EC albums. I have tried to get into the CD, but it is just too hard to get into it. I don't think I should have to work that hard to enjoy a CD. Every time I play KV, I find myself skipping half of the songs. Five years from now, I may pop it into the CD player and try to figure out why I didn't love the CD in the first place.

I felt the same way about ATUB at first. It took me 5 or 6 spins to get into ATUB, and then I loved it.

GCW and AB are not albums I would recommend for the casual fan either.

GCW is an interesting one though. I think that the production of the album brings it down, not the content. Give this album the engineering of IB, and you would have a very good album.
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

After reading my post again, I would like to qualify that ATUB is a CD that I would recommend someone to have. It just took me a while to get into it.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

goodbye cruel world.......

kojak variety got me into ec´s music
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Bob And Charlotte

wehitandrun wrote:I'd normally say Get Happy!! But my mind has been changed on that album. But, then again, it's a mess to virgin ears.

i bought both records last week... theyre in my way home...
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I realized my answer looks really stupid compared to "For The Stars" and the other more truthful selections.

But Punch The Clock and Get Happy!! are pretty much a guarantee for any Elvis fan to get into... however, it'll take a lot of listens.
Bob And Charlotte

well... i can deal with that...
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:every boards has its Eggrert....

so Kojak isn´t a bad album?
LOL. 'Street Legal' is the greatest album ever!
Bob And Charlotte

IT´S A GREAT HONOR TO SEE A DYLAN.COM POSTER HERE!!!

WHO WERE YOU BACK THEN?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:I'd normally say Get Happy!! But my mind has been changed on that album. But, then again, it's a mess to virgin ears.

I dunno... I *loved* Get Happy!! instantly, as I'm sure most of us did. It's one of Elvis's best records.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Godammit! will I ever get it right? I ALWAYS call it the Juliet Files......! :shock: :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:IT´S A GREAT HONOR TO SEE A DYLAN.COM POSTER HERE!!!

WHO WERE YOU BACK THEN?
I was godvls....still am on the new board. I was on the board from September 2002. How about you? Who were/are you?
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I wouldn't try to get anyone into EC using any records but MAIT, TYM, AF, GH, Trust, or IB.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I agree.

What about Brutal Youth?
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I would have to say Almost Blue. Most fans who would be into any of EC's work would have a strange star on his only real country album. They might think "what the F?" if they heard eveything after that one.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

wehitandrun wrote:I agree.

What about Brutal Youth?
I wouldn't even go with Brutal Youth. I like it, but I still think people should start out with an artist's first album, or at least an early one, even if they missed that album by what's nearing 30 years. It's a lot more fun to go album to album and travel with the artist than jump around to different records and not be able to piece together how the artist got to that point. On top of that, I wouldn't try to get anyone into Elvis with a post-GCW album, because I think everything changed after that first major commercial and critical failure. I really divide his catalogue up by pre-GCW and post-GCW. It's like a mediocre Jesus. But if I were going to pick a latter album, I'd go with WIWC, because I value it above BY, and if "45" doesn't get you into the album right off the bat, you're a loon!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

CRASH: I agree with you about the 'Almost Blue' album, but there's one track on there worth buying the album for that alone - 'How Much I Lied'. It's one of my altime favourites.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I love Almost Blue. I think it would be a fine album for a beginner to hear, as long as they know the grounds of which it was recorded.

Annnnd, it would help if they saw the "making of" documentary of it too.

But, still, Almost Blue is great. I love his vocals on it, and the Attractions are superb as per usual.