Autograph question...

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Autograph question...

Post by BlueChair »

After Elvis signed my 'North' CD, RedShoes and I were trying to figure out what exactly he had signed.

It does not appear to be Elvis Costello, but rather something closer to Declan MacManus. Is this a rare occurance? The autographs from others that I had seen in the past look more like Elvis Costello.

Any thoughts? Here's my autograph:

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

thats what mine looks like. elvis costello.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Mine, too (thanks again legmanopentooffers). It's a scrawl, to be sure, but it's Elvis Costello. More precisely, it's:

E, with a curved 'l' coming off the top, leading to a cursive 'u.' And then a goofy C (that kind of resembles a 'G'), followed by a cursive 's' and and upside down heart. But it's supposed to be Elvis Costello.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

He signed his chin
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

It does kinda look different from other Elvis signatures that I've seen.

:?:
I'm not angry anymore....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

that's what mine looks like--maybe he's signing his name 'Diana' these days.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

he signed my ticket upside-down, I mean I held it upside down as I was a little nervous.. you should try looking at yours upside-down. Mine looks like "Declan Patrick" or "Heidi mcGear" if you look at it sideways. If you study it long enough while squinting, you see that is obviously says "Get A Life."

But it looks consistent with the other signature I got. But I think his ego was a little big that night because he signed right between Bill Frisell's and Elvis Costello's head, so there is no place for Bill to sign :-o
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Looks like mine, too. I don't think he knows what he signs sometimes - he just signs stuff for people.

Although I must admit what he signed for my daughter is remarkably legible - from start to finish because he wrote several words. But the name itself looks just like yours does.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

crash8_durham wrote:He signed his chin
:lol:

I see where you can get "McManus" out of it... that looks like a big 'M', but the 'M' can also be disected into a 'C' 'O' and 'S'.
Last edited by wehitandrun on Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Elvis needs a shave (and a haircut)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

ice nine wrote:Elvis needs a shave (and a haircut)
I'd rather have him record a new album than shave or get a haircut :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

SweetPear wrote:It does kinda look different from other Elvis signatures that I've seen.

:?:
Blue - are you sure you met the real Elvis Costello or has SweetPear got a load of fake autographs?

My take on it is that I've got him to sign stuff on three occasions. The first autograph I got in 1999 clearly reads Elvis Costello. However the last two I got last year are signed similar to Blue Chairs. I think his autograph is like my signature; the more you sign it, the less it resembles the original. perhaps that's why Doctor's handwriting and signatures are so bad :lol:

You should see the schoolboy signature on my driving licence compared to the signature I've got now (22 years later!).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:lol: ...that is a weird signature.

It does say Elvis Costello though...

There is no E, just a straight line, then a giant L followed by what can only be 'vis' trailing off into his chin.

Then your M like 'whar' said, is the loop of a C with an O inside, which then meets the last peak, a T...there doesn't appear to be an 'ello' though..no loops for the double L. In a rush I guess.

you'd probably realised that by now anyway, just thought I'd indiscriminately chime in.
jillbeast

Post by jillbeast »

That's the rushed signature of "Elvis Costello"...if he actually has time and a table, he writes really nicely and sometimes draws pictures for you :-) If he isn't in the mood or if there are tons of people, all you get is a scribble. My most cherished autographs from him are when he's had time to write nice things. I don't really try to get signatures much any longer unless I have a new CD or something special or if I just want to ask him a question. I think he gets sick of the bags of stuff people bring to shows and then sell on eBay. Sometimes it's fun to give autographs, other times you feel pretty silly. Take it from a community theatre performer :-) The little kids' enthusiasm is the big payoff though for a little note in ink and it makes you feel special. Elvis must laugh at us when he gets into his car...you should hear what we say about bad audiences back stage :P

Jill