Your Top Five, desert island Elvis Costello albums...

Pretty self-explanatory
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

SMM.....North is permanently on in my car at present. I think that it is the most consistent of his 'non-rock' records.

Indeed I was joking about Mel Gibson....

The fact that he felt so 'proud' about filming 'Braveheart' in Scotland, and then moved the filming to Ireland (cos it was cheaper!) says it all for me.

The greatest indictment of Hollywood has got to be the fact that 'Braveheart' won so many Oscars.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, atleast I know Jackson Monk is still a jackass.

Blood And Chocolate < Brutal Youth was the point I was getting across, Mug. Every comment about Blood and Chocolate was to be taken in comparison to Brutal Youth.

Blood and Chocolate is Brutal Youth's little baby.

<3,
s.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Agreed about Braveheart.

WHAR,

What Mug said. I will say that Blood & Chocolate is not as instantly accisible as Brutal Youth, and you may find that you like it better later. That was the case for me, having come to the Elvis game circa Spike (which I used to adore). Then I went backwards and bought KOA and B&C, along with a greatest hits. At first, the intimacy of the production on B&C was offputting to me (having cut my teeth on the hyper-produced Spike). I liked B&C, but it was a year or two before it became my favorite. (Hadn't bought TYM yet, which would become and remain my fave). All that's not a slam on your age, BTW. I don't know how onld you are, but I was 17 when I got into Elvis, and 18 when I bought B&C.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, thanks for treating this like a serious clash of opinions, and not sarcastically suggesting that I become voicecoach.

My Elvis preferences have changed a lot as it is, so I can see Blood and Chocolate becoming one of my favorite.

I've made a vow that I will never love another woman unless "Blood and Chocolate" is their favourite album.

<3,
s.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Wehitandrun. The pharmacy called. Your prescoption for Zolof is in.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Hopefully the hooked on spelling that I ordered came too. When you go could you check on that for me. LOL
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

dear, dear WHAR...you do have a tendency to get nasty.....you need to chill out a little.....try warm baths and a glass or two of a nice merlot..
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
godgivemestrength

Post by godgivemestrength »

The Year's Model
All this Beauty
For the Stars
Trust
King of America
"some say that all you need to money to be free from what is poor, well that's the lie of looking up from somewhere down"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

In Re: BY and B&C, what's funny is that the first time I heard Brutal Youth, I thought "Oh good, he's going for that Brutal Youth kind of feel on some of these" (like 20% Amnesia). So I definitely see (artistically and chronologically) Brutal Youth as the little baby of Blood & Chocolate.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I don't think either BY or B&C are super phenomenal. They're great records, but B&C seems to have a little too much filler and just feels drawn out, and BY has a similar problem with filler and the production is semi-horrendous. Like I said, I still think they're great records overall, but I think Elvis's more recent "rockin'" efforts, or his years as the "Angry <i>Old</i> Man" as I like to say(humorously), peaked at the near perfect When I Was Cruel.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

And another complaint I have with BY is that it's best songs aren't as great as the best songs on some of his other albums, including B&C.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

crash8_durham wrote:Hopefully the hooked on spelling that I ordered came too. When you go could you check on that for me. LOL
My favourite part of your little bash on my intelligence is your use of LOL. Hopefully hooked on spelling will teach you how to act like a 12 year old(the post LOL age). One step at a time.

I hold BY close to my heart, I'm sorry if I got nasty. I didn't read my posts from earlier in fear of reading me making an ass out of myself. But if I did call anyone out... please take it for what it is... a poor boy who loves Brutal Youth.

<3,
s.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Dude, withdraw the claws. The hooked on spelling referrence was not a slam on your intelligence, but a self-slam on crash's poor spelling of Zoloft. He was making fun of HIMSELF, so chill.

Ironic, of course, that after lashing out with such ferocity, in the next breath you apologize for being nasty in previous posts. Youth really is brutal.

(That was a slam on your age. I don't usually do that, but I couldn't resist. Plus it was really clever (self-serving compliment alert, egotism rampant), as it incorporated Brutal Youth, which you love so well.)
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Look for the sequel to Brutal Youth, expected sometime before Elvis takes a long dirt nap:

Effectively, Brutal Youth II has the running title:
"Pedagogical, Pontificating, and Sedated Elders".

Can you feel me? This record [PPSE} will be all me, son!
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I apologized because I was wrongfully rude.

When somebody gives me an attitude, I'll give one right back Noise... get over it. I dont need you guiding me through every thread, get the hell off my case already.

Now, his post may have been a bash on himself, but I didn't know that at the time. Now that I do, I offer him an apology. Gonna bitch about that too?

<3,
s.
*pads, paws, and claws
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yes. You jump to the conclusion that people are insulting you and then you make an ass of yourself attacking them for nothing in the process. Someone points out that you made an ass of yourself and you lash out again. I'm not trying to guide you through every thread, I'm trying to point out occasions when you risk alienating everyone one at a time.

And I'll do it every time you make an ass of yourself, as I damn well please, so get used to it.

Addendum:

In this thread alone, you've taken uncalled for shots at 3 different posters, one of them twice. And all anyone had done was to ask you, in one way or another, to calm down. In one case, you called johnfoyle a fool for nothing at all. He made a joke which amounted to you not wanting to marry him for being a man and not thinking B&C was the best record. Totally underserving of your scorn. Now, I grant it that you later went back after you understood the joke and aplologized, which was good. But it's a pattern, over and over. Misunderstand, lash out, apologize, but only while lashing out at the person who pointed out that you unfairly lashed out in the first place. Why not wait until you know you've actually been put down before responding with such misplaced anger and attitude? I expect you to take shots at this post, but that's fine. I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks it's good advice.
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

A pattern? I admit I have wrongfully lashed out twice, and it has been in this thread only, both defending Brutal Youth. Is that a good excuse? Ofcourse not, that is why I have apologized. Me mistaking the spelling comment is completely logical, as his post was right under mine. But, I need not explain what I already have.

You act like you're all justified, yet I'm not. I see how from your point of view, talking to some 17 year old kid- everything just might be right in your eyes... but you were a complete asshole to me. I lashed out at you for that, and will not apologize for it.

What's worse, is you took shots at me to defend another person. I have shown respect to you in this thread, because you took my argument seriously. If crash8 had a problem with what I said, and didn't accept my apology... let him PM me or talk it out, dont defend him with shots at my age.

Oh, and Jackson was also a complete jackass to me- and has been 'being so' for the passed week(along with Mr. Average). I had let it slide constantly, but this time it just wasn't funny... so I called him a jackass. Once again, justified.

You started a problem when there wasn't one, so I responded to your post. Once again, justified.

We had a shortlived discussion, that went okay. Things got out of hand because I mistook a person's post... so in a way this is all a big misunderstanding. But, what happened happened, and I feel that each of my posts were justified AT THE TIME- and later rightened if they happened to be wrong.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Whoa, Cowboy. How have I been a complete jackass to you in the last week. The last two weeks.

How?

Looking forward to your reply.

After providing some substance to my above query, then may I ask a personal question that is really very relevant to many of those on the board who would be categorized as your persecutors.

In one thread, your implied an age of 28 years. In another thread, 17 years of age. Which is is? It is actually a very telling fact. Recalcitrant behaviours at 17 are normal and can be chalked up to brutal youth, peer pressures, acne, bad dates, raging hormones, and the myriad of uncertainties of the life that lays before you.

On the other hand, the behaviour pattern that you have a tendency to exhibit over, and over, and over again is quite dysfunctional for a 28 year old. The pattern is textbook, by the way, for a particular type of affliction. And Oh! this affliction, I know thee well. Too well.

So clear that little mystery dance up for us, so we can all just get along and be each others Sargeant Hulka's... the biggest, bestest big toes for the good of us all.

By the way, after my post last week in the Annex, I have officially changed my middle name to jackass, so you hit that one right on the head.

Now don't run. Respond.

Good Health, my friend.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Can't we all just get along?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

WHAR,

That chip on your shoulder ain't getting any smaller, though at least I finally understand why you have it. If you want to justify yourself for acting like a schmuck, go right ahead. Hope you feel better. I'm not asking for an apology, by the way. Never did. I know better than to expect a high school kid to ever admit that they act like an ass. I teach kids your age and older. They think they know everything, too. Somehow I thought you were in your 20s. That explains EVERYTHING. Had I known you were that young, I wouldn't have bothered. I don't make it a practice to expect adult behavior from children.
--William Shakespeare
godgivemestrength

Post by godgivemestrength »

:D
Last edited by godgivemestrength on Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"some say that all you need to money to be free from what is poor, well that's the lie of looking up from somewhere down"
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Brutal Youth
King of America
This Year's Model
Juliet Letters
Spike

No particular order and some choices are for sentimental reason as much as they might be my favourites.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noiseradio wrote:WHAR,

That chip on your shoulder ain't getting any smaller, though at least I finally understand why you have it. If you want to justify yourself for acting like a schmuck, go right ahead. Hope you feel better. I'm not asking for an apology, by the way. Never did. I know better than to expect a high school kid to ever admit that they act like an ass. I teach kids your age and older. They think they know everything, too. Somehow I thought you were in your 20s. That explains EVERYTHING. Had I known you were that young, I wouldn't have bothered. I don't make it a practice to expect adult behavior from children.

Stop holding grudges, poor man.

Mr. Average, I don't recall ever claiming to be 28. I am actually positive I've never claimed I was 28, unless there was an internet-attempt at sarcasm, which I've been known to throw out there.

Mr. Average, I'm not going to go back and check every thread for examples of what you've said to me... hell, you probably haven't even been calling me out. I have just felt some abrasiveness between you and I. I don't know if it's because I'm younger than everyone else, or what. I remember way back when(ahhh yes, the blissful days of February) when we had a nice PM chat on Episode Of Blonde. I miss that conversation.

Noise, I explained myself earlie. If you really feel there is reason enough to "waste" your time and retort(with god knows what), then I'd love to hear what you have to say. But, please, try to keep the generalizations, cliches, "i hate that generation"s, and pidgeon-holding out of it.

I'm not some kid you teach... you don't know me, so don't act like you do. You can't judge my internet-personality because a couple of message board threads. I'd like to start new with you, or maybe we can ignore eachother completely. I just don't want these little squabbles to continue. Any thoughts?
God's Comic

desert island albums

Post by God's Comic »

it's gotta be:

Armed Forces
All This Useless Beauty

Painted From Memory
This Year's Model
Punch The Clock
You Say You Didn't Do it,
But You Know You Did OF COURSE!
wehitandrun