Is 'Imperial Bedroom' The Best Album From The 80´s?

Pretty self-explanatory
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

WHAR,

Elvis, Mike Patton, and Faith No More?

Sounds to me like you want it all.

But you can't have it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noiseradio wrote:WHAR,

Elvis, Mike Patton, and Faith No More?

Sounds to me like you want it all.

But you can't have it.

SOMEBODY PUT ME TOGETHER. oh, i mean...

:wink:

<3,
s.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Did nobody mention Daydream Nation? Or did I miss it?
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Daydream Nation: Yet another Sonic Youth classic. Gorgeous
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I love Daydream Nation. Good job.

WHAR, to be honest I don't really get what's so great about Faith No More. They seemed terribly derivative to me. Perhaps you can shed some light on what I'm missing.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I'm sure he will :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Bob And Charlotte

Faith No More is a shitty band. Just like all this new metal or skate metal or stuped metal that are all over the world nowadays... oh, and they made some of the worst videoclips i´ve ever seen. Shitty band indeed!!!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:Faith No More is a shitty band. Just like all this new metal or skate metal or stuped metal that are all over the world nowadays... oh, and they made some of the worst videoclips i´ve ever seen. Shitty band indeed!!!
Nu Metal is over with. Faith no More was not apart of that phase, they came 10 years before it. Mike Patton is a genius, his new band "Tomahawk" is brilliant, and "Fantamos" as well.

<3,
s.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

But what was the deal with Faith No More? That song (was it called 'Epic?') seemed like such a mediocre Red Hot Chili Peppers wannabe tune. I could never understand what the big deal was supposed to be.
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Noise, I'm more of a Mike Patton/Tomahawk fan than a Faith No More fan. I like some of their songs a bit, but they're not really a favorite.

"mayday"/"flashback" - Tomahawk are really good. Mike Patton's vocal style for Tomahawk is great.

<3,
s.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I came across both Elvis Costello(well, kind of, i knew of him ,but never gave him a chance) and Mike Patton through my love for Daryl Palumbo's band Glassjaw. They are one of the greatest bands I've ever heard.

'two tabs of mescaline' / 'cavalcade' / 'ape dos mil'

those three songs from their newest album "worship and tribute" are well worth a listen.

<3,
s.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

alexv wrote:Aztec Camera: Steve McQueen (the sprouts and these guys both opened for EC in the 80s by the way)
And EC covered the fabulous Sprout song Cruel (Boston, '84 is the version I have). Steve McQueen was the second Sprout LP, by the way, not the Aztecs (High Land, Hard Rain, perchance?)

Mine:

Joy Division: Closer
New Order: Technique
EC: Trust, IB, PTC, B&C, KOA
Bowie: Scary Monsters (and NOT that one above!!!)
Josef K: The Only Fun In Town (not as good as it should have been)
Orange Juice: You Can't Hide Your Love Forever (even moreso, still wonderful though)
Talking Heads: Remain In Light (plus the above, but this is the one)
REM: see above
Tom Waits: ditto, especially Rain Dogs
The Jam: Sound Affects
Dexys: first two (yes, I still love Too Rye Ay!)
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions: all three, but especially Rattlesnakes, arguably the LP of the 80s
Prince: see above, but I'm with Noise on SOOT
Grace Jones: Nightclubbing
Stone Roses
The Smiths: Hatful of Hollow, and QID
Human League: Dare

A truly great decade for music. Hugely better than the 90s.
Bob And Charlotte

>A truly great decade for music. Hugely better than the 90s.

i don´t see it that way.
in fact, i think that the 80´s is the worst decade for all kinds of art.
blah
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

The 80s has it pros and cons.

Sadly, the cons are unbearable conful.

<3,
s.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Lots of the above+

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & The Lash, If I should Fall from Grace With God
The Proclaimers - This Is the Story, Sunshine On Leith
The Specials - More Specials
The Clash - Sandinista
The Ramones - End of The Century
signed with love and vicious kisses
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Good call on the Proclaimers. It reminded me that I adore:

Del Amitri's debut record: better than anything they've put out since.

And I'd also add to my list:

Zenyatta Mondatta - the Police
Raising Hell - Run DMC
Prince: Lovesexy, Around the World in a Day
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Just to nod vehement manic agreement with...

Proclaimers
Del Amitri
The Specials
Joy Division
New Order
The Smiths

''love, love wil tear us apart again.....''
alexv

Post by alexv »

Otis Westinghouse: High Land Hard Rain it was indeed. I get Roddy/Paddy confused sometimes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hmm, I'm not even sure "Imperial Bedroom" is the best Elvis album from the eighties.

If there is a best album of the eighties, I'd say it's either Imperial Bedroom, Get Happy!!, or Trust.

Or, ofcourse, Goodbye Cruel World.

<3,
s.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

How can you FNM weren't a part of nu-metal? They may not have been a part of the fad onslaught, but they were certainly instrumental in laying down the foundation for the movement.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

After the Chili Peppers, that is.
--William Shakespeare
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I think the three bands that led to nu-metal the most were RHCP, FNM, and Nirvana. RHCP bridged the gaps between hip hop, funk, and hard rock. FNM essentially took that, made it less bouncy and bridged it with metal. Nirvana repopularizing that self-loathing, whiney angst and what not got thrown into the mix and then we had Korn.

I look to Korn as kind of the Ramones of nu-metal, (not likening them in terms of quality, all around importance, or anything), but with nu-metal there were precursors like RHCP and FNM as there were with punk(The Stooges, Velvet Underground, and the countless other proto-punk/new rock and roll bands) and so on, but Korn came along and laid down the final combination of those styles as how it would be copied, recopied, and rerecopied for the next 10 years and so on. Though nothing exciting has really come out of nu-metal or music in a post-nu-metal landscape like things did with punk. Nu-metal really is the hair metal of our generation, but the analogy worked better for punk rock for some reason.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

In the mid 80's there were a lot of good heavy sounding (metal/hard rock doesn't describe them any better) bands while audiences felt uniquely a part of a subculture - very generically classified as 'glam' or 'cock rock', thrash, metal, (gulp) 'soft metal' et al. In those days they were supported mainly by magazines devoted to them, you could dress for your scene and see them play (I was underaged but I got by)... until MTV would gradually dilute and destroy that feeling.

For a while, MTV even spawned a lot of colourful escapist hair band videos (FNM's seemed an artier alternative to Guns N' Roses or Bon Jovi or whoever... they showed some promise but in fact sucked ass), then Nirvana and grunge were the "alternative" to all that. It was just different at the time. Neil Young is of course the godfather of grunge. Who cares/d about nu-metal or about derivative 'movements'? You couldn't better the originators...and besides them I just liked whatever I liked.

The apparent nihilism of Nirvana didn't appeal having already heard records like Springsteen's Nebraska and very early U2. I always liked Pearl Jam's style better, and thought Alice In Chains had the more interesting new sound of the time (early '90's).
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

seanpointblank,

I disagree about two of your three. The three most important bands in the development of nu metal are RHCP, Primus, and Helmet. The first Korn album couldn't be more derivative of Helmet if it was called "We used to be called Helmet, but we changed it to Korn." And the influence of Les Claypool on the entire bass playing generation that is nu-metal can NOT be underestimated.

Honestly, I think Faith No More are utter poseurs. They rode to fame on the coattails, just like Korn, of a true innovator.
--William Shakespeare
Bob And Charlotte

this was supposed to be a good thread with all of us talkin about our favourite 80´s records....... now were talkin about shitty bands!