Oliver's Army up for an award

Pretty self-explanatory
noiseradio

Oliver's Army up for an award

Post by noiseradio »

Oliver's Army was honored to find out this week that we've been nominated as best cover band in Dallas by the Dallas Observer. We're thrilled to have the nomination, especially since several of the other nominated bands on the list are excellent and good friends of ours to boot. Niceties aside, we'd like to win this year.

You can vote by going to the following link and filling out the ballot. To keep voter fraud to a minimum, they ask for some personal infor. Feel free to make up fake info if you don't want to give real info. A good zip code to use for the area (if you're making stuff up) is 76014. A good phone prefix would be 214. Dallas, TX, of course.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/musicawards/ballot2004/

To keep voter fraud to a minimum, they ask for some personal infor. Feel free to make up fake info if you don't want to give real info. A good zip code to use for the area (if you're making stuff up) is 76014. A good phone prefix would be 214. Dallas, TX, of course.

I know that most of you have never heard us, unless you clicked on the "preview of audio clips" link. But I promise we're worth your vote.

Thanks in advance,

noise.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Charlie Sedaka

Post by Charlie Sedaka »

i listen yo your stuff and you sound very nice band
Sorry, got distracted - I was poring a dirty book as if I was playing the piano.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Thanks. Be careful there, it looks as if you've bitten a hole in your big bottom lip. Nice little boy look, by the way.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Charlie Sedaka

Post by Charlie Sedaka »

and u sing very nice to mr noise.
Sorry, got distracted - I was poring a dirty book as if I was playing the piano.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

Simply for geographical reasons, I probably will never get to see you guys live, but I've listened to your website stuff and absolutely would not hesitate to vote for you. Great stuff!!
...even in a perfect world, where everyone was equal..
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Oliver's Army is here to stay, man. Congratulations. I look forward to sharing you with the rest of the world via the tribute CD.

Oh, and don't be bothered by Charlie Sedaka. It's just our old friend Jackson DoofsterMonk
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The return of whoring lawyer. Huzzah!
--William Shakespeare
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

bless you noiseradio.

Don't ever change. You either Blue.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Congratulations Noise....here's hoping you take the glory! You got Billy Frears' vote anyway :wink:

What's the competition like?

Boys Named Sue
Chris Holt’s Jukebox
Hard Night’s Day
Queen for a Day

I see Deathray Davies were there a couple of times too...they contributed to an EC tribute disc as I recall!!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

laughingcrow wrote:
What's the competition like?

Boys Named Sue
Chris Holt’s Jukebox
Hard Night’s Day
Queen for a Day

I see Deathray Davies were there a couple of times too...they contributed to an EC tribute disc as I recall!!!
Boys Named Sue are a Johnny Cash tribute. They're very good, so I've heard. I've never actually seen them.

Hard Night's Day is an excellent Beatles tribute band that we've played lots of shows with. The guitarist from this band is now touring with Rhett Miller of the Old 97's. Hard Night's Day won last year in this category and are probably the odds on favorite to win this year.

Chris Holt's Juke Box is a side project of one of the Hard Night's Day guys. They're a cover band as opposed to a tribute band, as they play songs by whatever artists they like. I think they make an attempt to mimick the sound of the original recordings as much as possible. Haven't seen them.

Queen for a Day is a Queen tribute that does a pretty amazing job. Their singer even wears the black and white harlequin tights and has the haircut from Queen II. All he's missing is the buck teeth. I like Queen, but not as much as when I was 15, so it's hard for me to be objective here. They do what they do very well; it's just that I would rather listen to someone else.

Deathray Davies are local heroes. Nice guys. I wasn't aware of them contributing to an Elvis Costello tribute disc, but I'm sure they did a fine job. (By the way, they pronounce it day-veez).
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Noise, they cover Men Called Uncle on Almost You: The songs of Elvis Costello...

http://www.glurp.com/costelloinfo.html

It's an averagey record...really nice delicate interpretation of Angel's wanna wear my red shoes by a band called Hem, and a great rootsy version of Sleep of the Just (hidden track) by some guys called Kev Russell's Junker.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I made sure that I cast my vote with a strong southern drawl for purposes of authenticating the ruse.

Based on the 5 songs that I've heard to date, I hope that you win the recognition.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

noiseradio wrote:The return of whoring lawyer. Huzzah!
Yes, my immediate thought too... I'd recognize that accent anywhere.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I LOVE Men Called Uncle....an underrated EC classic....can you do that one Noise?
corruptio optimi pessima
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

We're learning new material right now, heavily from Get Happy, Trust, and rounding out TYM, and I believe Men Called Uncle is on the list.
--William Shakespeare
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Can anyone fill me on how and where I can get a listen to Oliver's Army?
Or can I be directed to a website?

How very exciting!
Congratulations to Noise and his mates! :D
I'm not angry anymore....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Gladly.

Go to http://www.oliversarmyband.com

Click oline music.

Here's the direct link:

http://www.tanksleyalves.com/OliversArmy/music/

Enjoy.
--William Shakespeare
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

NOISE: Im routing for yer! I tried to go vote too but all I got was a blank screen! :(

Keeping my fingers crossed you win it!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Just voted there Noise...

And listened to the songs on the site, very impressed!
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Thanks!
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Happy to cast my vote for your excellent band.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Mission accomplished NOISE I got to vote! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Thanks to you both.
--William Shakespeare
HellboyOne

Post by HellboyOne »

When are you guys gonna play Los Angeles? I'm starvin' out here! :)

R.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

NOISE: Ive just been to your website and downloaded all your songs AND THEY ARE BLOODY AWESOME!!!!!!

I only wish you lived near enough to me so I could get to a gig!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!