Upcoming Concerts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

pophead2k wrote:I have never seen him before and would appreciate info from those who have seen this tour.
If you search a thread called, I think 'It's Bowie week' from last November, you will find impassioned words from me on one of his London dates. If you are even a modest Bowie fan, you'll have a great night out. He's fabulously brilliant live, his band are one of the best he's ever toured with, he's in a very good place in terms of doing good new stuff but being very much at one with the full span of his large back catalogue, very much like EC. I swear giving up the fags has helped his voice no end, and he jusst seems to be loving being there and determined to give everyone the best night out imaginable. I'd only seen him the once before, mid-90s, and though that was good, this was way better. Heathen and Reality both have great things to be played live on, especially Heathen, but he also played 5 songs off Ziggy and most of his most famous like Rebel Rebel, Life on Mars, "Heroes" (which was a true 'If it were now to die, then it were now to be most happy' moment for me, as was pretty much the whole gig, I spent a lot of the time with my eyes closed, absurdly content, and the rest of the time looking through the binoculars - I have been a serious fan since the age of 9, i.e. over 30 years). No Space Oddity though! My only criticism would be that he could pull out a few more unexpected classics from the past, e.g. I got very excited to read he was rehearsing Win off Young Americans for the tour, yet he didn't play it once. That would have been a great addition, and there was nothing at all from Young Americans or Station To Station (or only Fame), which is a doggone shame.

Do you know his stuff well? Do check out the last two LPs if you don't know them.

Enough info? Will write more if you wish! The bowiewonderworld.com is a good site for info and setlists. I haven't been following recent gigs at all, so I don't know if recent setlists have changed much.

OK, couldn't resist it:

Hong Kong, March 14

01. Rebel Rebel
     02. Hang On To Yourself
     03. New Killer Star
     04. Fame
     05. Cactus
     06. All The Young Dudes
     07. China Girl
     08. Reality
     09. 5:15 The Angels Have Gone
     10. The Man Who Sold The World
     11. Hallo Spaceboy
     12. Sunday
     13. Heathen (The Rays)
     14. Under Pressure
     15. Slip Away
(Snippet of Space Oddity)
     16. Looking For Water
     17. Quicksand
     18. The Loneliest Guy
     19. Be My Wife
     20. Sound And Vision
     21. Breaking Glass
     22. Fashion
     23. Ashes To Ashes
     24. White Light White Heat
     25. I'm Afraid Of Americans
     26. "Heroes"
Encore:
     27. Let's Dance
     28. Five Years
     29. Suffragette City
     30. Ziggy Stardust

Pretty similar, though Quicksand wasn't done in Europe (that would blow me away), and the trio from Low is VERY tasty. He only did Be My Wife in London ('only'! that was worth the £50 admission in itself).

You're in for a great night out. Others (Blue, Mug) will be seeing him soonish due to the rescheduling of gigs from the US/Canada leg earlier in the year due to flu. Looking forward to all your accounts.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Otis, thank you thank you. I also looked up some recent setlists from Japan and they looked very similar to the one you posted. I can't wait!! I have been a not-quite-diehard fan for ten years or more (I have most of his albums, the Sound + Vision set, but am not a completist) and I love Reality and Heathen, so sounds like a perfect evening. Thanks again for the great info.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Hoodoo Gurus have decided to put out a new album -- Mach Schau -- & are launching it at their gig I'm going to on Friday.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Morrissey and The Stooges are playing Dublin in June! I can't believe it!

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/cgi/asp_even ... liate=A002
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

gawd.

it's starting to feel like a mid-late eighties time warp.

very, very strange.

(though, i would be HAPPY to see Morrissey. and/or the Stooges. and/or the Hoodoo Gurus. 'Death Defying' is one of my favorite songs.)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Poppet, it's amazing how long The Hoodoo Gurus have been around... since '82, and Death-defying is already almost 20yrs old (!). I saw them at the peak of their chart success around '86-'90, but they got better and better through the 90's with Kinky (91), Crank (94) and Blue Cave (96).

Here's a site with all the latest on them, including that they're planning tours in Europe in September and North America around October/November:

http://guruvosity.net/main.htm
http://guruvosity.net/discogra.htm -- I'd recommend the 2cd compilation Ampology for a thorough primer.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Poppet wrote:gawd.

it's starting to feel like a mid-late eighties time warp.

very, very strange.

(though, i would be HAPPY to see Morrissey. and/or the Stooges. and/or the Hoodoo Gurus. 'Death Defying' is one of my favorite songs.)
Yes, let's have an '80s Oz Tour: Hoodoos, Mental As Anything, Hunters and Collectors... I'd be there! So much fun.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

You can go to the Bowie forum..
https://secure.ultrastar.com/davidbowie/signup/
no wait! it cost $64.99 per year!

actually, if you have a ticket, the forum is included
but he was worth $150MM a few years ago, right up there in the top three with the two Pauls

but seriously, Professor Steve Nieve gave the tour a great review.. great sounds, lighting, voice, great choices...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Well The Hoodoo Gurus kicked ass... best concert i've seen for ages. Remember, they're touring.

I'll probably see them again in 3 weeks.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Liz phair tonight, I'll post a review if anyone is interested.