Post by martinfoyle »

http://listserv.aol.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=i ... net&P=3946

Here's a report from a friend in Seattle:

> WOW! What a show. He was incredible.
> Here's tonight's setlist. Sorry, I don't
> know the names of the songs he did for the
> second encore. Elvis said they were new and
> appeared to be reading them, although he played
> guitar with piano accompaniment from Steve.
> Prior to Elvis returning for this encore,
> a roadie brought out a music stand and placed
> some paper (lyric sheets?) for these three songs
> on the stand. All was removed prior
> to Elvis returning for the third encore.
>
> - Andy
>
>
> ELVIS COSTELLO with STEVE NIEVE
> Seattle, WA - 03/08/04
>
> 1. 45
> 2. Green Shirt
> 3. Brilliant Mistake
> 4. Shot With His Own Gun
> 5. This House Is Empty Now
> 6. You Left Me In The Dark
> 7. Someone Took The Words Away
> 8. Home Truth
> 9. Little Triggers
> 10. No Wonder
> 11. Unwanted Number
> 12. You Turned To Me
> 13. Fallen
> 14. God's Comic
> 15. Sleep Of The Just
> 16. Girls Talk
> 17. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
>
> Encore 1
> 18. Either Side Of The Same Town
> 19. When It Sings
> 20. Still
> 21. Can You Be True?
> 22. Inch By Inch/Fever
> 23. Watching the Detectives
>
> Encore 2
> 24. (New Song? - Delivery Man?)
> 25. (New Song? - Country Darkness?)
> 26. (New Song? - Steal Time?)
>
> Encore 3
> 27. Almost Blue
> 28. Let Me Tell You About Her (EC on piano)
> 29. The Scarlet Tide (EC on ukelele)
> 30. You'll Never Walk Alone
> 31. Pump It Up
> 32. Dark End Of The Street
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

New songs!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

A girl I know went to this show. I'm jealous she got Brilliant Mistake/Green Shirt.

I'll have to ask her what she thought of it.

<3,
s.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

WHAR - Don't worry about what she thought of the show; just find out if there were new songs premiered! :)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

There were new songs. They had a bit more of a folkish vibe, it's hard to say just based on hearing rough versions live, but it's somewhere between a more rockin' Elvis and KOA maybe, but not so much. Hard to describe, especially since I don't know if the piano/acoustic guitar combo is what Elvis is going to use for the actual recordings.

EC did say "these are from our forthcoming album, South". :P
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/163919_elvis10q.html

Costello strays out of his element at Benaroya Hall

By BILL WHITE
SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Elvis Costello is a rock singer who has digested enough Tony Bennett and Jackie Wilson to successfully dabble in more ambitious musical projects.

MUSIC REVIEW
ELVIS COSTELLO

WHERE: Benaroya Hall

WHEN: Monday Night

Monday night at Benaroya Hall, accompanied by himself on guitar and longtime band-mate Steve Nieve on piano and melodica, Costello sang material from his latest project, the art-song cycle "North," as well as a healthy sampling from his songbook.

There were plenty of nuggets among the more than 30 songs performed, among them a passionate and direct version of "Sleep of the Just," from "King of America." But if Costello is going to play the high-stakes game of the legitimate singer, he is going to have to get better at it. Flaws that go unnoticed when accompanied by a loud rock band can seriously damage the credibility of a singer alone at a microphone in a recital hall.

Costello has a pleasant mid-tenor range, but his lower notes are barely there, and he is so tense in his upper register that it sometimes seems he is squeezing the notes out through his eyes. His choice of accompanist doesn't help. Nieve is capable of providing tasteful support, but too often is off on his own tangents, bashing out flourishes every which way but in the direction determined by the chord progressions.

The 2 1/2 hour concert opened with "45" from "When I Was Cruel," the album Costello was touring behind during his last Seattle visit. It also was when most of the material for "North" was written.

Much of "North" sounds like student work, but there were exceptions, such as the passionate "When It Sings," which found Costello really singing, not just trying to hit the notes.

As is often the case when Costello comes to town, the encores were as long as the main part of the show. The first six-song encore ended with a deconstruction of "Watching the Detectives" that would have made John Cale and Robert Fripp proud. The second offered a preview of three newly written songs, none of which was first-rate.

The final encore opened with a note-perfect rendition of "Almost Blue," a song that is almost beginning to fulfill its destiny as a jazz standard. Costello showed he still had some surprises left in him when he called Nieve back for a penetrating version of Rodger and Hammerstein's "You'll Never Walk Alone." Once Costello strapped on the big Elvis Gibson and played the opening chords of "Pump It Up," it was rock 'n' roll as usual for the remainder of the night.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

That was harsh, though I do agree about the new songs, none of them were fantastic.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/a ... vis10.html

Splendid Costello at prime of career

By Patrick MacDonald
Seattle Times music critic

A great artist in one of his great periods playing a great theater.
That was the formula that made for an unforgettable performance by Elvis Costello Monday night at Benaroya Hall. The bard of the 1970s New Wave movement featured songs from his artful new album, "North," as well as reinvigorated versions of some of his most classic songs, a few obscurities and covers, and even songs from his forthcoming "South" CD.

At 49, Costello showed that a rock star can remain vital and creative in middle age, without coasting on his past or compromising his integrity. His youthful songs of rebellion and cynicism were comparable in quality to his current ones about love lost and new love found. His situation has changed, but not his intelligence, passion or artistry.

The drama and emotions in his lyrics were emphasized by his brilliant delivery. His voice was better than ever, and he brilliantly used the near-perfect acoustics of the world-class concert hall. Several times he moved away from the microphone and let his unamplified voice fill the room, which thrilled the near-capacity audience.

In addition to the great songs and great singing, there was humor, too. During the droll "God's Comic," which he described as "a vision of the afterlife that's not spiritually correct," he worked in a comedy routine about Mel Gibson's fanaticism, the U.S. government's Orange Alerts, Iraq's phantom weapons of mass destruction and Vice President Dick Cheney's "Texas hand puppet."

Keyboardist Steve Nieve added drama to the songs, playing grand piano with classical flourishes and witty asides, as well as organ in a few numbers and a melodica, a handheld keyboard you blow like a trumpet.

Costello, in his usual black suit, black shirt and Buddy Holly-style black glasses — but with some bright blue highlights in his tie — opened with "45," a rocking meditation on 45-rpm singles, middle-age and World War II. He followed with "Green Shirt," from the '70s. Soon after came the powerful "Shot With His Own Gun," one of the obscure songs, from 1981's "Trust" LP.

The first showstopper was Bert Bacharach's "This House Is Empty Now." After Costello walked away from the mike and sang the last part a cappella, the audience leaped to its feet. The intensity continued with "North's" moving "You Left Me In the Dark" and "Someone Took the Words Away."

The generous set lasted 2-1/2 hours, but the time breezed by. Other highlights were the delightful "Girls Talk," a ragged but rocking "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," a reworked "Watching the Detectives," a surprisingly emotional cover of "You'll Never Walk Alone" and an energetic "Pump It Up."

Patrick MacDonald: 206-464-2312 or pmacdonald@seattletimes.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah , yes , good old Bert.....
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I took the album being titled "South" as a joke, maybe I was wrong, or maybe the Seattle Times writer is just out of it.