STICK A FORK IN ME!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Re: A familiar dance...

Post by selfmademug »

A rope leash wrote: Buildings do not fall down in their own space without special planning. That's all there is to it! Did the Empire State Building burn and fall when it was hit by a B-25 "flying gas tank"?
Tall buildings (all buildings, for that matter) are built to resist the forces enacted upon them-- mostly vertical forces, just to hold the building up, but also lateral as they get higher, to withstand wind, etc. In the case of a very tall building, gravity will necessarily be stronger than whatever structures can be designed for lateral support, thus it falls down (into its own space) if incinerated from within. That is, if you believe that steel burns/melts, which clearly all those who write building code do, since they require steel beams to be coated with fireproofing. Look up next time you're in that parking garage. See the fuzzy stuff? That ain't a thick layer of dust, honey. And anyway, if Bush wanted to blow up New York, why the concern with neatness? Or did I miss your special theory about that? It's true I've been skimming.

I agree, strongly, with HS. It's an old tactic to say "if you disagree with my outrageous ideas it's because you're naive and kidding yourself." Yawn, indeed. We can find a million more threads like this all over the 'net. It ain't why any of us is HERE.

I know it's become locally fashionable to stick up for you because you 'challenge' and persevere, but if I may be honest you're a waste of my time when you write in this vein, because you're just grinding an axe and not interested in actual exchange, which would involve you entertaining the notion that you might actually be wrong. I don't have the case sewn up; if I did would I be wasting my fucking time here? But I do trust SOME of what I read and not ALL of it.

There is always a very simple explanation for everything, but it is nearly always wrong.
Last edited by selfmademug on Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A rope leash

It really irritates you?

Post by A rope leash »

To bad there's not punctuation for the more subtle aspects of language.

Of course I'm not always right. Rush Limbaugh is.

Jesus is the Light and the Way. He said so!

But me, I'm just dust.

Gosh, Hungstrung, I never knew my smartass arrogance was enough to inspire anger in one so consistently placid as you.

It's a joke man, but if I'm wrong, you can prove it. There's plenty of documented evidence on the web, as well I know you've seen the links. Just because it doesn't come from Fox or CNN or MSNBC doesn't mean that there isn't validity there. It's a matter of who we believe, and we know who has lied before...

The rest of the world knows. We need to accept it.

(See, it is an addiction. A few days relapse and I'm fighting with friends...)

We won't be voting on the war. Either you are for war, or you are against war. It looks like we Americans are for war. All we need is an excuse.

Of course, an Elvis Costello message board is no place for a discussion like this! Elvis could care less! He's way more into beautiful women and fast cars! He is so like me!

This message board is actually about me and everyone knows it. It's about the individual egos of everyone who posts here on a regular basis. Elvis was just a way for us to meet. One would think that if one found a rope leash to be repugnant, then one would be reluctant to read posts made by a rope leash, but one does not avoid reading posts by a rope leash, does one? Why is that?

My ego now requires a hangar and a crew of seven. Call me a name, and hurt me-hurt me. Maybe I won't come back. Or maybe I will say I'm coming back, then I won't.

Like Jesus.

Note to Taz: Do you think if I went ahead and said that Elvis is fat and ugly that would get me banned? I know that this is like asking the liquor store not to sell to me, but in this case, there really is no other "liqour store". Earth knows that I do not wish to go one "affecting" people in this manner. Please help me!

Elvis is a big fat four-eyed geek. There! I said it!

I will not lend credence to Timberlake. That would be a lie!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Come on over and let me cook you a nice homemade dinner, rope. :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

King Of Spain already tried that rope...

remember?

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... ugly+spain
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Rope,

You're a hypocritical bigot, and a giant egotist as well. You were gone weeks before I took my break. You had exactly nothing to do with my break. Sorry to dissapoint you. When you say offensive things, you have the decency to leave them there where others can see. I can deal with that.

I'm adding the following remarks after they were originally posted (see how easy that was?):

I only called Rope a hypocritical bigot because he asked us to. I don't really think he's a hypocrite.
Last edited by noiseradio on Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Wow. I've been gone for a while, and this is what I come back to? The maturity level of some of the posters on this board has dropped significantly, and the sensitivity level has gone through the roof. Noise, Rope--when people ask your age, do you hold up a few fingers and say "this many"?

I haven't been following the latest pissfest, but it doesn't look interesting. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Everyone has the right to disagree with it. Take a breath and chill the hell out, people.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Candy,

You've made it clear how you feel and that's groovy. You regularly chime in that you wish people wouldn't butt beads and that everyone should get over it. It's a bit of a mantra.

It doesn't look entertaining? It wasn't. And I'm not here to entertain you. Would madam prefer a little soft shoe?

People butt heads, and sometimes they have to deal with it.

Get over it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Misha

Post by Misha »

***DING!!****

Seperate corners....

Hey, I just saw Elvis last week, and he ain't fat!!!

He's actually turned into a tasty morsel.

The suit makes him look bigger.....

He must be getting a lot of ahem....exercise...

:D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:

***DING*** Resume bickering....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Why can't people seperate the argument from the person? Just cause you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to call them names. And I'm not singling anybody out here.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I'd forgotten why I didn't post as much. Thanks, Noise, for reminding me. Actually, if you've got your tap shoes handy, show me your moves, honey--perhaps it would distract you from typing for a while.

Perhaps I repeat my mantra because the bickering too often reaches fever pitch. I focused on you and good ol' Rope because you two are the loudest. Good Lord, man, get over yourself--it's really not that deep.

My parents told me often (does that qualify as a 'mantra'?) that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I'll work harder on following that philosophy.
A rope leash

Party!

Post by A rope leash »

It was established here some time ago that I am indeed a bigot. I've got a big chip on my shoulder for devout religious types. It's true.

I'm also a hypocrite, but you should all do as I say, and not as I do.

What I think we are failing to see is that a person can write a story about a murder without murdering. That means I can say that the WTC buildings were demo-ed, but that doesn't really mean that I actually think it's true. It just means I wrote it. That's why these discussions should never be taken to a personal level.

But, I take my positions sometimes just to test them. At this particular time, I feel like some of the alternate theories about the attack make more sense to me than the official story.

At the very least, the Bushies are hiding their ineptitude. At the worst, they are complicit in the attacks. I suspect they knew, and if they did not have a hand in it, they certainly let it happen. For cryin' out loud, no one denies the fact that GWB continued to sit and read stories to little children as the events unfolded.

I want answers, and I am not alone.

How official is this?

http://www.911independentcommission.org/

Elvis is sucking it in for Diana's benefit.

There is no such thing as a "vast conspiracy".

There is only truth, and logic. I'm just forming opinions based on what I've seen on the cave wall. Whether or not anyone agrees with me has nothing to do with whether or not I'm right. I'm right because I'm always right. If you were me, you would know that!

Also, just to clarify, I didn't think I chased off Noise, and I didn't read the "recipe thread", so I am blissfully ignorant about all that. I left for a while because this board was just taking up too much time, and it seemed to me that something so detatched shouldn't seem so real.

Yes, I have a fantastic ego. That's what it takes. Otherwise, I'd finish nothing...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

You don't use taps for soft shoe. That's why it's soft shoe...

I haven't made a peep for weeks. Rope for even longer. And Rope and are are not arguing now. The only reason I even emerged yesterday was because blame for my specific absence was being placed on the wrong person. I was trying to set that record straight.

Feel free to say whatever you want. But understand that it's a huge double standard to gripe and moan about my posts and then accuse me of griping and moaning. But that's pretty much par for the course anymore on here. It's ok to be offended about some things, but not others.

As for keeping me from typing, I was trying to do just that. I was checking on the status of the cd, and I saw the post about mood swung running me off and felt the need to respond. Thank you for reminding me.
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

BlueChair wrote:Why can't people seperate the argument from the person? Just cause you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to call them names. And I'm not singling anybody out here.
I gotta call you on that one buddy! what about when you said this about me?? :lol:

"That's cause you're sex obsessed and out of touch with your childhood. Hostility towards people who devote their life to teaching and entertaining children is pretty pathetic. It's about as low as you can get, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe you should start counseling and fix the chauvinism problem."

Not that it bothers me you said it.....I think freedom of speach is important.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Dear Noize...the way one deals best with Candy is to take responsibilty for one's actions.....she rags on me constantly, making remarks about how stupid or perverted I am......I don't debate it....just flow with it. :lol: :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
A rope leash

Lables that stick

Post by A rope leash »

Whenever someone pins a label on me, the first thing I do is evaluate it. Then, I evaluate the labeler.

For instance, my being called a bigot. After I thought about it, I accepted it as true. But I'm only bigoted against those who are bigoted, and if you think I'm "going to Hell" because I do not go along with your beliefs, then I think you are bigoted. Trust me, I get a lot of flack from religious types, every day.

I honestly think that religion as it is practiced across the world today is the number one cause of conflict among people. I honestly think we could do without it. The Bushies appear to be under the influence of "too much heaven", and none are so blind as those who will not see.

Of course, they will say the same about me. The difference is that I rely on facts and reality, rather than on faith and fairy tale. Religion is mass insanity as far as I'm concerned. These folks have no idea what deception their own minds can create, and what influence their religion has on their own mental state.

So, you say you believe in God. You probably do. But it's all internal, and it's all here on Earth.

One day my boss called me an "evil bastard". He said that because I am into sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll. He's a racist Christian who carrys a pistol, and can't keep a woman because of his abusive nature. He is very outspoken regarding his "beliefs", i.e. "the races shouldn't mix", "the wife is subservient", "homosexuality is an abomination unto the Lord", and "the Jews put beans in chili".

So, we have to consider the source. It takes one to know one. All you lemmings can run off the edge if you want, I'm just gonna hang here by the pool...

As Howard Stern is finding out, it's all about "what we think is evil" when it comes to these people. He is also finding out that "these people" are wielding unusual influence nowdays in the halls of government.

Well, here's what I have to say to "those people":

Pha Q!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Dude,

Didn't you hear So Like Candy? She told us to hush.
--William Shakespeare
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Alright, Noise. You're pissing me off.

My reasoning behind chiming in with my mantra was because it seems like there are a few folks who are making a lot of useless noise. My aim was to wave a white flag, so to speak--this board is fun when there people talk without getting their panties into a bunch about everything.

Noise, I do indeed realize that you're not here to entertain me. Tap shoes, soft shoes or platforms, you have every right to say whatever the hell you like. However, when you start pissing people off by being hypersensitive, it brings down the board. You're not the only one who does it--you're just the loudest. That's all I meant.

I didn't tell anyone to "hush", either. I suggested that everyone chill the hell out. Cope hasn't been around for a while (which is why I didn't mention you, Cope)--and though he can be nasty at times, he often has interesting things to say. He's not a touchy pansy when people challenge him, either.

I don't get this. Noise, you seem to put a lot of energy into defending and attacking--perhaps I overstepped my bounds. I'm not a moderator, after all. I just enjoyed the board most when it was more about music and other topics and less about flame wars.

So, bitch as loud as you like. Pass me the fork, too--I've got better things to do than to read snide remarks from a virtual stranger.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Thanks for clarifying.

Addendum to Rope:

Dude,

Didn't you hear So Like Candy? She suggested we chill the hell out.

Yours, quietly,
Touchy Pansy.
--William Shakespeare
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

God what I wouldn't give for that picture of a special olympics runner with the caption....

"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded."

Everybody needs to calm the hell down....we're getting dangerously close to personal attacks.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

Gee, Taz...I thought you didn't care!

I'm sure Jackson is enjoying this...

Have you noticed that the Brits don't seem to participate much in these discussions?

Hey! Did you just call me retarded?!

Why I oughta...!
A rope leash

The religious right

Post by A rope leash »

Really, though, this is very scary for me...

http://www.buzzflash.com/farrell/04/03/far04007.html
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The thing that I find particularly humurous in these exchanges is that someone makes a stark, direct remark without the 'feel-good' sugary coating, and it induces an uprising of posters who derogate the individual for being so stark and direct by BEING stark and direct, In other words, do as I say, not as I do.

"Please refrain from expletives and otherwise rude and caustic discourse, you stupid, ignorant, and bigoted son of a bitch". What the hell is wrong with you? Can't you be civil, you asshole!"

The epitome of the circular argument that spins out of control. I swear that Larry David monitors this forum, as he is the master of capturing the beautiful irony of these circular arguments.

Curb your enthusiasm. No one's been murdered yet. It's just a kinder murder, and that I can take, and walk away...

and don't look back.
Last edited by Mr. Average on Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Have you noticed that the Brits don't seem to participate much in these discussions?
That's cos we don't need anyone telling us we're bigoted hypocrites with gigantic forearms, eagle eye action and hitler haircuts...we already know! :lol:

A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

He's got mercury poisoning, you know...

Yes, Mr. Average, a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, but we should also take it with a grain of salt!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Thanks for that post, Mr. Average.

Was that chilled the hell out enough, or am I still being too loud?
--William Shakespeare