Elvis `n Diana - the Barneys factor

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis `n Diana - the Barneys factor

Post by johnfoyle »

People Magazine , March 8th issue

It's a busy time for singer Diana Krall. Her new CD will be released next month and she's preparing to go on tour. Meanwhile, the singer, 39, performs a benefit concert for the leukemia and bone marrow transplant program at Vancouver General Hospital on March 5. Oh, and she married Elvis Costello three months ago.

Did you and Elvis get time for a honeymoon?

We did. We went to fabulous Venice and Paris. Venice at that time of year is so quiet and moody, and I just love gloomy weather. We walked everywhere. We went to museums with nobody there, and we went to fantastic restaurants and stayed at a fabulous place.

You sound happy.

I'm thankful that I've met the man of my dreams.

For your next album, you wrote songs with your husband. How did that go?

It was really fun. We wrote mostly at my home on Vancouver Island. I wrote music sometimes in one room, and he was writing lyrics at the same time. It was a very cathartic process for me. The songs were so personal.

Your voice appears to be edgier and more intimate on the album. Did you do something to get that sound?

Besides the Jack Daniel's and Marlboros? I think there's wear and tear on my voice from singing so much, and I wanted to bring that out. I didn't want to hide the fact that I was tired. That's the way I sounded that day.

This marks the fifth year you've performed a fundraising concert for the Vancouver hospital where your mother, who passed away in 2002, was treated for multiple myeloma.

It is very close to my heart. I saw my mother experience the benefits of the program when she was in hospital. My mother was a children's librarian, and [with the money this raises] there'll be a library where patients can relax.

Has the marriage made you more recognizable to the general public?

I get better service at the shoe department at Barneys when I'm with him than when I'm by myself, okay? So I take him with me wherever I go.

[Sidebar]
"Elvis helped me put into words what I could never have done by myself," says Krall of Costello's writing help.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Dammit, I ALMOST wrote Barney's rather than Bendel's for my photo caption.... I shoulda pegged her for more th downtown type... :P
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Well f*ck me! I thought this was a post about that lovable dinosaur!
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

And I don't mean Sting.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I'm sure all those young male shoe clerks would have totally ignored the leggy blonde looking bemused by the high heels section before!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Oh yeah, young male shoe clerks at Barney's...definitely straight.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

MBA, I was gonna say the same!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Well...they might just want to talk about Liza Minnelli...
I don't even know what Barneys is! :lol: