Lyrics to songs on `North`

Pretty self-explanatory
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Okay--enough!! Like Otis, I'll wait until I hear the lyrics in context with the music. Then, I'll download the lot & memorize 'em all...

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

How did the he get the lyrics? :?:
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

"Maybe this is the love song that I refused to
Write her when I loved her like I used to."

mmmhmmm.

"I want to kiss you in a rush
And whisper things to make you blush"

this album may very well turn out to be an Album To Have Sex To.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

bambooneedle wrote:"...Up where the polar bears and moose and geese will play
And some of them address you en français
Give me the ice and snow
Time to go...
North..." ~ North.

It seems he was thinking about Canada. Whether he'd want to live there or not, who knows?
Looks like Elvis doesn't want to be a songwriter anymore, he'd rather be leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. And with his best buddy by his side they'd sing ! Sing ! Sing !

I particularly like the last verse of this song:

"I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on Diana's clothing
And hang around in bars"

Now wouldn't it be great if he sang this on the Canadian tour as the coda to "Alison"

My guess is that, on the new album cover, Elvis will be wearing a lumberjack shirt and hat, high heels, suspendies and a bra.
Anybody out there good with Photoshop ?
Where's North from 'ere?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

And, if he moves to Canada, we might see the return of the long hair and beard. :!:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

storm wrote:
Looks like Elvis doesn't want to be a songwriter anymore, he'd rather be leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. And with his best buddy by his side they'd sing ! Sing ! Sing !

I particularly like the last verse of this song:

"I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on Diana's clothing
And hang around in bars"

Now wouldn't it be great if he sang this on the Canadian tour as the coda to "Alison"

My guess is that, on the new album cover, Elvis will be wearing a lumberjack shirt and hat, high heels, suspendies and a bra.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I've not read through the lyrics carefully like some of you, but....uh...don't they seem...kinda....um....

...oh God, this is gonna hurt....

hokey?

Perhaps the words will sound better when put to music.

I know our man is in love. But, when has love ever made him a sap? One of my favorite lines from one of his "love songs" is:

"Whenever I put my foot in my mouth
And you begin to doubt that it's you that I'm dreaming about
Do I have to draw you a diagram?"
(Human Hands)

I mean, THAT is our man in love. "I love you, damn it!" I agree with SMM. This scares me. A lot.

There is also a possibility (a small, wild possibility) that these aren't the real lyrics. I can't find any mention of the lyrics, or much else for that matter, on the Web.

It just seems as if these lyrics make him look all soft and fuzzy round the edges. Shit, there AREN'T any more edges. I do indeed understand that he's not that "angry young man" anymore, but this is just too much for me! This, in fact, does make me look forward to the new album, however. I want to see how he makes these words sound good.

I know I've committed blasphemy. I'm going to go flog myself now.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

SLC: You took so many words right out of my mouth.

I must say this all started concerning me when the engagement announcement came, in my opinion, a bit soon. I want him to be happy, really, but I don't want him stripped of that "edge." If Jazz Princess makes him happy, good enough for me. But I don't want to see Elvis as a sap either. With all these public pics of her where she practically has her legs wrapped around him (not that he hates that) I just wonder. Maybe it's just "new love" and maybe it's also how we change according to who we love.

But I'm not going to give myself a flogging for having said any of that until I hear the new album and find out for myself. If it is really good, I will promptly throw myself into the town square for floggings, stoning, and/or the stocks. :o
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I read the first three and then stopped myself, for just the reasons that SLC mentions. I want to be wrong, I want to be wrong, I want to be wrong....
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

SoLikeCandy wrote:It just seems as if these lyrics make him look all soft and fuzzy round the edges. Shit, there AREN'T any more edges.
The burr is missing. The bit that cuts you. You're right SLC, I wanted to say it but couldn't.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Plaything/Bunny wrote:
The burr is missing. The bit that cuts you. You're right SLC, I wanted to say it but couldn't.

Does love always have to hurt?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

well, i read them over again, and hey - i called it right the first time.

competent, intermittently amusing lyrics. not bad enough to cringe, occasionally better than okay, sexy-ish.

but no sting. or...no, that's not quite the right word...

i mean..."clown strike" is one of my all-time favorite EC songs. it's a love song. it's got a straight-foward chorus, but the verses are trademark Elvis - over-extended metaphor and tricky lines. and it's sharp, the honesty feels real, not this heart-on-sleeve, blinded-by-love-and-boobs hazy!honesty. honest like everything, like telling all the bad details with the good, being in love despite and because of the faults and failures, not because she's a fucking snow princess sitting on a moose in the middle of a fucking river in fucking CANADA.

*hyperventilates*

i want Elvis to be sharp and touching, not all fuzzy and ick. be in LOVE, man, not 'wuv'.

grrrrrrr.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

SoLikeCandy,
You have absolutely hit the nail on the head.
I was starting to think that I don't belong here at all after having similar thoughts to what you've expressed.
No need to flog yourself either.
SoLikeCandy wrote: Perhaps the words will sound better when put to music.

I know our man is in love. But, when has love ever made him a sap? One of my favorite lines from one of his "love songs" is:

"Whenever I put my foot in my mouth
And you begin to doubt that it's you that I'm dreaming about
Do I have to draw you a diagram?"
(Human Hands)

I mean, THAT is our man in love. "I love you, damn it!" I agree with SMM. This scares me. A lot.
i want Elvis to be sharp and touching, not all fuzzy and ick. be in LOVE, man, not 'wuv'.
I read the first three and then stopped myself, for just the reasons that SLC mentions. I want to be wrong, I want to be wrong, I want to be wrong....
Me too, guys. Me too.
I'm not angry anymore....
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

mood swung wrote:Plaything/Bunny wrote:

Does love always have to hurt?
Ask Elvis at any point over the last 20-odd years and he'd have yes. Has there been enough time for cups to be thrown or faces to be slapped? According to these lyrics, no. This is a content EC.

When has love not hurt?
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

tokyo vogue wrote:
not because she's a fucking snow princess sitting on a moose in the middle of a fucking river in fucking CANADA.
YES! Now, if we could just get that sort of anger into these new lyrics...

Is this really the same man who wrote "I Want You", arguably the creepiest love song ever written? "I want to say things to make you blush?" Oh, for fuck's sake...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels like this. I'm certainly not saying that EC has to be surly for the rest of his life--no, not at all. However, his writing has NEVER been this fluffy. Very, very strange, y'all...
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

SoLikeCandy wrote: It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels like this. I'm certainly not saying that EC has to be surly for the rest of his life--no, not at all. However, his writing has NEVER been this fluffy. Very, very strange, y'all...
Yeah Candy, what you said!!
I'm not angry anymore....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Maybe this just wasn't a good time for him to record an album. He could have just sat around doodling their names on a piece of paper for a few more months until he got it out of his system. You know, something like:

Declan and Diana sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g.

This just isn't yielding vintage Elvis material. A lot of us have probably been in "that kind of love" before, and I'm usually not worth crap when I'm there. My own creativity is never as good when I'm happy as when I'm tormented or lonely or angry.

This is what I'm imagining :? :
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Dude, that is the funniest thing I have seen in my whole entire life. All twenty-four years, three months and three days. If I had my own computer, it'd be my wallpaper.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I've never had an Elvis dream, that I can remember, anyway, but I think I'm gonna have NIGHTMARES now! :lol:

Can't stop laughing!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Good lord Spook!!!! Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

wow, that is almost scary, and yet, on the other hand . . .

:wink:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

noiseradio wrote:I read the first three and then stopped myself, for just the reasons that SLC mentions. I want to be wrong, I want to be wrong, I want to be wrong....
The first three? I can understand thinking that the lyrics of the second half of the album might sound "hokey" - love IS hokey. But the first half of the album sounds pretty bitter to me.

I'll reserve judgement for now, but do get the feeling that this album is really going to divide people - they'll either love it or hate it. Not a bad thing IMHO.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It's gonna be GREAT.

...you monsters. :wink:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

THANK YOU for that picture...I'm having another day from hell and that made me pee my pants! Let's all hope he doesn't wish he was a girlie just like his dear Mamar...

Yeah, ditto that--this album will most likely divide folks. Love it or hate it. Though, I have this strange feeling that fifteen or so years from now, when "North" is reissued by Rhino or Ryko or whoever, the liner notes will echo "Goodbye Cruel World" (which wasn't all that bad of an album, really):

"Congratulations! You've just purchased our worst album."

I'm being a bitch. I'm sorry. But the lyrics haven't grabbed me by the scruff and shook me like a malnourished kitten yet. I'll have to wait, I reckon, like the rest of you, to be proven wrong.

Please, let me be wrong.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

SLC: Now I have to live with myself for making you pee your pants! And you're not being a bitch. I just couldn't help myself with that picture. You had the guts to make the statements I had been holding back. I'm waiting for those lyrics that make you think so hard you get that little crinkle just above your nose and in between your eyes. I'm not getting that with these lyrics. :cry:

Maybe it will sound better to music. :?

I hope. I hope more than I can say.