wife not so excited about going to EC / SN concert

Pretty self-explanatory
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

:-(
... feeling pretty selfish for suggesting we go

no one can deny EC is talented.. she is just not THAT much of a fan.
There are many who don't like his voice (even though they admit he sings well)

there must be some others who drag their spouses along.. or
who are occasioanlly ridiculed for liking one artist too much.
verbal gymnastics

Re: wife not so excited about going to EC / SN concert

Post by verbal gymnastics »

AlmostBlue wrote:there must be some others who drag their spouses along.. or who are occasioanlly ridiculed for liking one artist too much.
I dragged Mrs VG along once and she won't go again :lol: Fortunately I've got a mate who is a massive EC fan and goes to almost all of the concerts in England (he lives in Birmingham) and we meet up. It's much better to go with someone who appreciates that EC only plays a particular song once on the tour or Steve improvises a classical piece.

When I say to my mates I'm going to see EC they always say "What again? How many times is that?" Or "He should be paying you with the amount of money you've given him over the years". Hmm, I rather like the idea of that one!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Aw, you're new enough to the site that you haven't yet been bored to tears by the tale of my Elvis epiphany. Alas, other board members have heard it before, so I will condense.

Husband a fan since 1977 - I just tolerated his plethora of albums and cds by EC until I woke up one day, heard an EC song playing while walking through a store and it just hit me - whoa! Now I can't get enough. And if you saw my Ryman thread yesterday you can see that for yourself. Now my husband and I enjoy discussing lyrics, listening to him together, and finally seeing him together on Tuesday.

Don't feel bad though. You're not the first person to have this dilemma. I tell my story yet again in hopes that some of these other non EC loving spouses and partners might one day see the light. It could happen. :)
Pov

Post by Pov »

My wife was not a particularly big fan - she barely tolerated my interest -until I took her to her first show last fall: EC and Steve Nieve at Town Hall here in New York City. She was floored by the performance and said it was the best concert she had ever seen. Needless to say, we're going to see him again at the Beacon Theatre tonite and she invited some of her friends to join us.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my husband is not a fan at all, in no form, shape or fashion. and I have frequently suggested he stay home and let me take one of the kids, but he's afraid I'll run off with elvis (or maybe it's paddy he fears), so he suffers thru it. I consider it a fair exchange for 364 nights of Armageddon, Steven Seagal, etc. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

I think my wife's words were that she "didn't mind" Elvis Costello. She is not a big fan of his. I am not even sure if she can name any Costello songs. She is going to the Oriental Theater show with me, and I am looking forward to seeing her reaction at the concert. I think the fact that it is Elvis & Steve instead of the full band will make a more enjoyable show for her.

Look at it this way AB: How many concerts have you gone to with her that you wouldn't have otherwise? I went to Cher with my wife. I enjoyed the show, but I would not have gone on my own.
discarded luck

Post by discarded luck »

Mood Swung wrote
I have frequently suggested he stay home and let me take one of the kids, but he's afraid I'll run off with elvis (or maybe it's paddy he fears), so he suffers thru it. I consider it a fair exchange for 364 nights of Armageddon, Steven Seagal, etc.
I think I married your husband's science fiction twin.:lol:

I've got to admit that my husband has come around a bit (over these many years) but he still doesn't see what the point would be in sticking around after a show to meet the man. :?

signed, a frustrated dl
bryantb

Post by bryantb »

My wife is a casual fan. She enjoyed the Ryman 2002 show but "was bored most of the time" through the Ryman 2004 show. I think that she will go with me again if and when he comes back through with the Impostors but not with the Brodskys.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

welcome bryantb--glad to see a fellow rymanite! how did YOU like the show?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

What? Another board member was there and we didn't know? You could have partied before the show with us!

I'm sure you spotted us. Me and Moody were the ones getting chewed out for using our digital cameras! :)

Welcome, bryantb!
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

My wife is not a big Elvis fan, but she is joining me for tonights show at the Beacon. This will be the 5th time she has seen Elvis with me. I have seen Elvis over 50 in the past 25 years and figures someday I might grow out of it.

In return I have seen (or sometimes endured) Paul McCartney, Elton John, Southside Johnny and Bryan Adams. So I guess after tonight I might owe her one.
Why are we racing to be so old?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Welcome elvicos01. Anyone who has seen Elvis 50 times should certainly be on a fansite. :wink:
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

Welcome, elvicos01!! I agree with Spooky, you definitely belong here!!
I've only seen The Man one time, as he doesn't visit Minneapolis that much... :cry:
But in any case, I have been a huge fan for a while, and my husband had to let EC "grow on him", as I'm sure other spouses have as well. However, he's become a fan himself and really enjoyd the one show we've been to in Oct. 2002. The moral of the story is...be patient with your loved ones and they will (hopefully) come around!
...even in a perfect world, where everyone was equal..
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Welcome elvicos01.

As you have a 25 year Elvis span, you'll be pleased to know that this is longer than some of the people on this board have been born!

As the lovely ladies have said, you belong here.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
elvicos01

Post subject: wife not so excited about going to EC / SN con

Post by elvicos01 »

Thank you all for your welcome.

Anyway, last night might be the last time my wife sees Elvis. She didn't appreciate Elvis's comments during God's Comic (those of you who have experienced this tour, or read this board know what i mean). In addition, the complete assholes around us at the show, drowning out Elvis with either bad signing voices, cellphones or chatter. And to top it off, about 1 hour to get our car out of hock (NYC parking garage).

While I still had an enjoyable evening, she was fit to be tied.

We will see what happens later in the year when he is back "with some surprises".
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not married, but RedShoes is almost as big an Elvis fan as I am. I guess I should hang onto her, huh? :D

Also, I really hope the Toronto show doesn't have loud and obnoxious people, though I worry that in the balcony it will :(

I'm not too worried about any negative reactions to EC's comments about Bush or whatever. Maybe some cheering :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bryantb

Post by bryantb »

Thanks to everyone for their words of welcome.

Missed everyone getting hassled by the Ryman staff because I was riveted by what was taking place on stage.

I thought that it was a fantastic show. I wish that I was 10 years younger so I could go see a couple more on this tour but unfortunately work and other responsibilites keep me in Nashville.

The last time I saw Elvis was at the Ryman in 2002 with the Impostors. He had played the night before in NYC. I was returning from NYC to Nashville and he and the Impostors were on my flight. Elvis sat in first class but the rest of the band, including Steve Nieve, had to sit back in coach.

The high point of the show for my wife was God's Comic as she is very democratic. I actually lean more the other way, but the monologue was dead on I have to admit.
HungupStrungup

and then there's the Cheney heart attack joke . . . .

Post by HungupStrungup »

elvicos01 wrote:. . . last night might be the last time my wife sees Elvis. She didn't appreciate Elvis's comments during God's Comic . . .
and
bryantb wrote:The high point of the show for my wife was God's Comic as she is very democratic. I actually lean more the other way, but the monologue was dead on I have to admit.
elv, was it the nature of his remarks that your wife didn't like, or the liberal use of the f-word?

Yes, bryantb, no matter which party they belong to or which candidate they plan to vote for, most sensible people should be able to empathize with a comment like (paraphrasing, but fairly accurately) "He [Bush] wants to amend the Constitution to prevent some people from pledging their love to one another. Have you ever heard anything more fucking stupid in your life?"
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Pov

Post by Pov »

Also, she shouldn't have been offended by the comment about hoping Cheney doesn't have a heart attack because, if he did, who would run the country. I've heard similar remarks from die-hard Republicans.
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

HungupStrungup

My wife was offended by the remarks, not the language. (She never was a fan of 'God's Comic' either).
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

great insight.. glad to here I am not alone. Now for the difficult part.
How do you explain that you might be interested in, er, seeing two concerts in a row, two days in a row ?? :-)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I won't take my wife again. When we were first going out, I took her to a show on the Brutal Youth tour and she pretended to enjoy it. She likes the hits, but hates the ballads. The last show I took her to was on the WIWC tour and she hated - hated all the slow numbers towards the end - I was a little miffed as she rolled her eyes and yawned through "Almost Blue" - but the last straw was a day I was listening to Blood and Chocolate and she came into the room and started in on how "I Want You" - was an awful awful song - at some point I said - "I'm not taking you with me to see him anymore" - she didn't really care until I only bought one ticket for the Lupo's show. So - she likes a bunch of his stuff and hates a bunch of his stuff - she did really love him hosting Letterman and she had a good time watching the A&E and Crossroads shows - but I just won't have her slagging "Almost Blue" and "I Want You."
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

BWAP, I can only imagine what would have ensued had you bought two tickets and not taken her. I'd have preferred to take Goody2 or either of my two oldest kids, but my husband insisted on going. He thinks he gets martyr points. He's wrong. :lol:
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

When Elvis and the Imposters played his first Rock and Roll show in nearly 20 years about 16 months ago at the Ackermann Center on the UCLA campus, I took my wife and my then 10 year old daughter, Allison Gabrielle.Considering her tender young age of 10, I was thrilled that she both wanted to go and that she was familiar with about 30% of the EC catalog (you can probably guess the songs, plus the entirety of Blood and Chocolate which she grew to love).

This was a dance hall show, and it was a long Elvis set. That, we all could have handled. But...

The first band to play was (as I think GilliBeast informed me) called the Like. It was a chick band (3 cute kids) featuring Pete Thomas' daughter on drums. Hey, I'm not drummer, but she seemed to know her way around the kit. The highpoint of the relatively long (for a first opening act) set was that they played loud enough to have acoustic ceiling tiles crash down around them during a particularly intense finish. Remember, my wife and daughter have now been standing for hours...in line to get up front on the floor so Allison can see, and through the first, entertaining set.

Second opening act was ridiculously out of place, a sort of FUD-glam rock meets the Cure meets the Urban Verbs. They were called ElectroLux, and it seemed that they would NEVER stop playing. They were angry at the crowd for calling louder and louder for Elvis, and finally stormed off the stage. Now my ten year old is very eager and tired, and my wife, attentive to our daughter to a heightened degree, has lost her sense of humour.

So it was great fun when Elvis entered stage left and wife, daughter, and daddy were whooping it up and dancing away...for a while. Alli dropped out and literally sat down on the floor in full view of EC as the crowd on the front stage railing was so remarkably considerate to ensure that she had a good visual of him at the front end of the stage. She watched him as if she was watching him on television.

After, we all agreed that Alliosn and my wife are better fans of Elvis' recordings, and less enthused by his live performances. Since then, I have been to two shows alone, and that is just fine with me. Everyone is happy.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

Boy With A Problem wrote:I won't take my wife again. When we were first going out, I took her to a show on the Brutal Youth tour and she pretended to enjoy it. She likes the hits, but hates the ballads. The last show I took her to was on the WIWC tour and she hated - hated all the slow numbers towards the end - I was a little miffed as she rolled her eyes and yawned through "Almost Blue" - but the last straw was a day I was listening to Blood and Chocolate and she came into the room and started in on how "I Want You" - was an awful awful song - at some point I said - "I'm not taking you with me to see him anymore" - she didn't really care until I only bought one ticket for the Lupo's show. So - she likes a bunch of his stuff and hates a bunch of his stuff - she did really love him hosting Letterman and she had a good time watching the A&E and Crossroads shows - but I just won't have her slagging "Almost Blue" and "I Want You."
so isn't buying one ticket a little awkward, a like going on separate vacations? Do you have to encourage her to do a "girls night out?"