Polaroid Questions Outkast Photography Advice

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Since their advice has turned out to be moded, how should Outkast rephrase "Heya"?

Shake it like a raw chicken or fish in a bag o' shake and bake!
27%
Shake it like an irresponsible nanny!
27%
Shake it like you're trying to figure out whether the Christmas present has clothes or something more interesting in it!
18%
Shake it Like You Just Don't Care -- About the Outcome of the Wisconsin Primary
27%

Total votes: 11

bobster

Polaroid Questions Outkast Photography Advice

Post by bobster »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... outkast_dc

Polaroid Warns Film Users Not to 'Shake It'

LONDON (Reuters) - Outkast fans like to "shake it like a Polaroid picture," but the instant camera maker is warning consumers that taking the advice of the hip-hop stars could ruin your snapshots.

Outkast's number one hit "Hey Ya" includes the "shake it" line as a reference to the motion that amateur photographers use to help along the self-developing film.

But in the "answers" section on the Polaroid Web site, (http://polaroid.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/po ... p/enduser/ std_alp.php?p_sid=MkDTr94h&p_lva=2509&p_sp=&p_li=) the company says that shaking photos, which once helped them to dry, is not necessary since the modern version of Polaroid film dries behind a clear plastic window.

The image "never touches air, so shaking or waving has no effect," the company said on its Web site.

"In fact, shaking or waving can actually damage the image. Rapid movement during development can cause portions of the film to separate prematurely, or can cause 'blobs' in the picture."

A Polaroid spokesman added: "Almost everybody does it, thinking that shaking accelerates the development process, but if you shake it too vigorously you could distort the image. A casual shake typically doesn't affect it."

Polaroid said its film should be laid on a flat surface and shielded from the wind, and that users should avoid bending or twisting their pictures.

Of course, "lay it on a flat surface like a Polaroid picture," doesn't sound nearly as cool.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

This is a hoot, bobster.

Jeez, everybody's a critic. Polaroid should be glad anyone even still buys one of their cameras since the whole world has gone digital.

Anyhow, I voted for the "just don't care" category. And that can apply to the primary, or any other number of things.

Just the mood I'm in right now. :?
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I decided to stick with the commercial aspect of it. Though I do kind of like "lay it on a flat surface like a polaroid picture."

It just has a certain ring to it . . .
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i remember shaking those damned polaroids.

i've got a polaroid camera somewhere. it's fun for one off insta-shots and retro-looking stuff.

anybody remember when you had to roll goop on the polaroid first? okay, fine, i'm old.

i don't have a digital camera. living in the dark ages, i know. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Poppet wrote:i've got a polaroid camera somewhere. it's fun for one off insta-shots and retro-looking stuff.
Not to be crass, but it also has one other thing it's good for...
Pov

Post by Pov »

Poppet wrote:i remember shaking those damned polaroids.

i've got a polaroid camera somewhere. it's fun for one off insta-shots and retro-looking stuff.

anybody remember when you had to roll goop on the polaroid first? okay, fine, i'm old.

i don't have a digital camera. living in the dark ages, i know. :)
I remember having to roll goop on the picture. This was back in the days when, after you took your shot you had to pull the picture out of the camera, wait 60 seconds and then peel off the paper containing the chemicals. The goop acted as a protective coating to preserve the picture.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Bobster....what the hell is the world coming to that Polaroid needs to issue a freakin press release about this.!!!???

I think Polaroid ought to give Outkast $ .05 for every time they sing that....Polaroid never had such great publicity....

Miss BA.....I know what you're talking about...turns out digital can do that too,,,,and fix the not so great parts at the same time!

:D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Miss BA - yes, my father used his polaroid for that purpose, at least once, that he left in his dresser so that when he moved w/o taking anything with him (long story, but it could be told if asked), it was there for me to find when he called and told me 'go thru the house, in a month the owners are coming to clean it out.' (we were poor folks, and rented all the days of our lives together).

if you decide to have items of this sort, be aware of happens to them. be sure you want your progeny to find them, if you box them away somewhere. 'cause they will. or someone will.

:)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

OK I know im gonna get blasted for my poor taste in music ....but I like this record!! :shock:

I voted the xmas pressie one - I do like to prod and shake and sniff , but I NEVER open them til xmas day!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I still don't understand the poll. Will someone explain it better to me :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Okay, Blue, here's the thing. In the song, they talk about "shaking it like a Polaroid picture." So, since that phrase got blasted, the poll gives options of what else could be said in the song - "Shake it like a (your selection of new phrases here).

Get it? :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Got it! Picked the first one. It's the best.

Thank you spooky for your basic yet understandable explanation. Now I will be able to concentrate in class today :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Blue, have a big mug of coffee before class today - on me! :)
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Gillibeanz wrote:OK I know im gonna get blasted for my poor taste in music ....but I like this record!! :shock:
Gilli, this is a great cd, don't fear about being blasted on that one...

(only complaint is the over-playing of two songs...but that's probably cuz I spend too much time in clubs, my own fault)
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Gillibeanz wrote:OK I know im gonna get blasted for my poor taste in music ....but I like this record!! :shock:
Anyone who would blast you for liking Outkast is out of their mind. They are one of, if not the most exciting thing happening in current pop music, it not current music all around.