Ethical Dilemma for Photgraphers - What would YOU do?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Pov

Ethical Dilemma for Photgraphers - What would YOU do?

Post by Pov »

With all your honour and dignity, what would you do? This test only has one question, but it's a very important one.

Please don't answer it without giving it some serious thought. By
giving an honest answer you will be able to test where you stand morally.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation, where
you will have to make a decision one way or the other. Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous.

Please scroll down slowly and consider each line - this is important for the test to work accurately.

You're in Florida...in Miami, to be exact... There is great chaos
going on around you, caused by a hurricane and severe floods ....... There are huge masses of water all around you.... You are a photographer and you are in the middle of this great disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless.

You're trying to shoot very impressive photos. There are houses and people floating around you, disappearing into the water. Nature is showing all its destroying power and is ripping everything away with it.

Suddenly you see a man in the water, he is fighting for his life,
trying not to be taken away by the masses of water and mud. You move closer.

Somehow the man looks familiar. Suddenly you know who it is - it's George W. Bush! At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him away...forever.

You have two options. You can save him or you can take the best photo of your life.

So you can save the life of George W. Bush, or you can shoot a
Pulitzer prize winning photo. A unique photo displaying the death of one of the world's most powerful men.

And here's the question: (Please give an honest answer)

Would you select color film, or go with the simplicity of classic
black and white?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Thanks for a much needed giggle, Pov. :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

It's a tough call, Pov. Color can be so vivid and bring everything to life, and yet, black and white is - as you said - classic, and would capture the moment forever in a timeless manner.

I think maybe black and white. The magazines would probably pay more for it.

Just don't tell my dad - he's a huge W fan. :wink:
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i like the drama that B&W photography provides......
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Any chance Yoko Ono is struggling for air somewhere nearby? That would be a great picture.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Is it sunny or overcast?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote:Any chance Yoko Ono is struggling for air somewhere nearby? That would be a great picture.
Gufaw gufaw. How original.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Anytime I am in any position to save someone's life, I'll do it.

Unless they're a mass murderer or something.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

exactly how many do you have to kill before it becomes a "mass"?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

mood swung wrote:exactly how many do you have to kill before it becomes a "mass"?
At least two. It doesn't count if you shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Or if you're a killer Queen.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

What if you are responsible for the deaths of over 500 American soldiers and thousands of Iraqi soldiers and civilians? Does that count?
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

No Ms. BA, that's 'patriotism'/world saving....completely seperate column on the spreadsheet...
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

black and white

then i'd go on over to lapinjolis' crib
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

bambooneedle wrote:
noiseradio wrote:Any chance Yoko Ono is struggling for air somewhere nearby? That would be a great picture.
Gufaw gufaw. How original.

No comment on the killing of Bush joke from you, though. Hmmm. I guess it's ok to joke about killing some public figures, but not others.
Last edited by noiseradio on Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Bush joke form?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

from, sorry.
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote:No comment on the killing of Bush joke from you, though. Hmmm. I guess it's ok to joke about killing some public figures, but not others.
My comment had nothing to do with about 'who', but about 'how'... Pov obviously made a clever joke, then i found yours to be anticlimactically unfunny being a decidedly unoriginal spin-off of it (with other unoriginal elements). Fair enough?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Pov's joke has been going around since the Nixon administration. The first time I heard it, it was about Clinton (in 1993). So spare me the unoriginality accusation.

I don't see you jumping down anyone else's throat when they make a joke you find less than clever. By my count, there are at least 5 other spin-off jokes on this thread, one involving Johnny Cash, a couple about the Iraq War, and another that seems to be a Queen reference. I'm in good company. Still, it isn't surprising that you singled mine out for comment. Seems to me you responded to my joke because you like taking shots at me. Fair enough?
--William Shakespeare
Pov

Post by Pov »

noiseradio wrote:Pov's joke has been going around since the Nixon administration. The first time I heard it, it was about Clinton (in 1993). So spare me the unoriginality accusation.
It's not even my joke! I copied it from a photography bulletin board. Another variant I saw has you deciding which lens to use.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Dang! I so wanted to get my teeth into this....
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Pov wrote:
noiseradio wrote:Pov's joke has been going around since the Nixon administration. The first time I heard it, it was about Clinton (in 1993). So spare me the unoriginality accusation.
It's not even my joke! I copied it from a photography bulletin board. Another variant I saw has you deciding which lens to use.
I got it in French last week, but the question at the end was "mat ou brillant?" (Matte or glossy?)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Pov,

Just so you know, I think it's a funny joke, regardless of which President it's about or where it came from. It's just a really funny joke structure.
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

sheeesh, just get over it.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

So would that make you the pot or the kettle?
--William Shakespeare