CD Graphics...

Pretty self-explanatory
Misha

Post by Misha »

SG,

I'm glad to see ya too! Sorry about the job, and hope you find one that makes the last one look like chicken feed!!

:D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Yeah, it's kinda funny about that...

Job got SOOOO depressing that I simply COULDN'T STAND IT ANYMORE, gave notice on Tuesday, the 13th, last day being Saturday the 17th. So, what comes out in the newspaper on Tuesday, the 20th???

Yakima Herald-Republic (WA)
January 21, 2004
Section: Main/Home Front
Page: A1
ClientLogic Closing Yakima Facility

Leah Ward
By LEAH BETH WARD and BIANCA VçZQUEZ TONESS YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

ClientLogic, a cornerstone of job growth in downtown Yakima for the past three years, said Tuesday it will close its nearly 400-employee call center in mid-April for unidentified business reasons.
ClientLogic declined to comment on speculation the company had lost one of its biggest customers, requiring the shutdown.
Among its corporatewide customers are Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, Sony, Palm One, which makes handheld devices, and Juno and Earthlink, both Internet service providers. Microsoft declined to comment.
One of the largest private employers in Yakima County, ClientLogic opened in December 2000, helped by $420,000 in grants from the city of Yakima. ClientLogic initially created about 80 jobs on the second floor of the Yakima Mall and grew to nearly 500 people working all the way across into the second floor of the neighboring Great Western Building.
Presently, about 360 people work at the call center.
ClientLogic's parent corporation, Onex Corp. of Toronto, Canada, has call centers in India and newly acquired facilities in the Philippines, but declined to say whether the Yakima jobs would be transferred offshore.
"This decision was driven strictly by business needs," the company said in a statement.
Increasingly and not without controversy, U.S. technology companies are shifting jobs overseas to take advantage of less-expensive but highly skilled labor. Bangalore, India, for example, has become a worldwide center for research and development for such giants as Intel Corp. and Sun Microsystems.
Amit Shankardass, spokesman for ClientLogic at its U.S. headquarters in Nashville, declined to say whether any of its customers caused the job losses in Yakima by demanding cheaper labor overseas.
"All I can really say is it's unfortunate we had to close the site. Obviously, it's been very well thought-out and necessary," Shankardass said.
Dave McFadden, president of New Vision, the Yakima County Development Association that helped to recruit ClientLogic, said growth in the call center industry nationally has been slowing from the go-go years of 1999-2000, pushing companies to seek lower costs by moving jobs overseas.
"I think there's an element of that going on with ClientLogic, though I can't say that's the cause," he said.
McFadden said it wouldn't be wise, however, for the city to abandon cash incentives to companies in exchange for creating jobs in Yakima. He said the incentives to ClientLogic were "carefully" crafted to occur on an annual basis provided the company met certain job-creation targets, which it did.
"The city was very careful in how it extended these. In my mind we may need to tweak the way we look at grants or subsidies rather than saying, 'No way, no how.'"
ClientLogic was the shining star in the city's job-creation and economic development portfolio. In fact, it was the only job-creation program the city funded for 2004.
For the past three years, the city has given ClientLogic $140,000 a year as part of a five-year agreement to stay in the area. In return, ClientLogic had to provide a targeted number of jobs. By February 2002, the call center reported 202 full-time employees earning an average annual wage of $20,511.
"It was a good return on our money," Bill Cook, the city's community development director, said.
State Rep. Jim Clements, R-Selah, said he doesn't doubt that lower costs overseas beckoned ClientLogic. "One of the biggest problems we're finding is that when you call that 800 number for help with your computer, those calls are going right offshore."
"This is one reason I'm troubled by moving public dollars into these situations. You commit public resources, and then they're gone," Clements said.
ClientLogic has been the beneficiary of state tax incentives, too. The Department of Revenue will not reveal the names or incentive amounts received by specific companies, calling them trade secrets protected by state law.
But in 1999, the Legislature established a 100 percent credit against business and occupation taxes for businesses engaged in help-desk, or call-center, services in rural counties. A bill to extend those credits is now before the 2004 Legislature.
Mike Gowrylow, spokesman for the Revenue Department, said because the incentive is a credit, there's no provision for companies to repay any taxes if they go out of business.
ClientLogic said Yakima employees will keep their current jobs and accrue benefits up to April 15, the effective date of the shutdown. Accumulated paid time off will be paid that day or sooner if employees leave before April 15.
The company also encouraged Yakima employees to apply for openings available at other U.S. call centers. Earlier this month, ClientLogic acquired a Florida-based call-center company called Service Zone, giving it eight facilities in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas.
The deal also expanded the company's client base, work force and its network of domestic and offshore call centers. ClientLogic now has a Philippines call center, in Pasig City, which supplements its existing center in Bangalore.

Yep, they're sending my job to India, folks, not a damn thing I can do about it.

The upshot is, had I waited until the following week, I wouldn't have to jump through the 5,000 hoops now required for me to collect unemployment while looking for another position.

Joke's on me, eh???

:twisted:

Then again...maybe not... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And, in a related story...

ClientLogic Closure Rooted in Earthlink
Author(s): Leah Ward
Date: January 22, 2004
Page: A1 Section: Main/Home Front

By LEAH BETH WARD YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC
ClientLogic's announcement that it will close its Yakima call center this spring was the ripple effect of a cost-cutting decision by Internet service provider Earthlink, a major customer.
According to two e-mails from ClientLogic managers to employees, Earthlink supplied the 360-employee Yakima center with the majority of its business.
"Earthlink, our primary client here, has announced a comprehensive plan to restructure its contact center operations ... to reduce their overall costs.
"They are consolidating many of their contact centers and, as a result, the business serviced in Yakima will be serviced from another location," Ruth O'Brien, senior regional officer with ClientLogic said in an e-mail to employees Tuesday.
She said ClientLogic will shift the Microsoft business it handles in Yakima to its call center in New Brunswick, Canada.
ClientLogic spokesman Amit Shankardass declined to comment on the e-mail.
Call centers have exploded in recent years as industries of all sorts, from banks to catalog companies, farm out their customer-service departments to third-parties. At the ClientLogic call center in Yakima, employees handled customer service and technical questions from Earthlink customers.
ClientLogic opened in the Yakima Mall and Great Western Building downtown three years ago with the help of $420,000 in cash from the city of Yakima.
Atlanta-based Earthlink is the nation's third-largest Internet service provider after America Online and MSN. In a bid to become more competitive, the company announced last month that it was closing all of its company-owned call-center operations, resulting in 1,300 job cuts. Earthlink already farmed out most of the work and now will send all of it to third-party companies. And it's made no secret that it favors companies with lower-cost overseas operations.
"We are increasing the number of offshore agents we're using," Dan Greenfield, Earthlink spokesman said.
Experts say the customer has all the leverage in the ruthlessly competitive call-center business. And customers know that offshore call centers have at least a 25 percent cost advantage - and as much as 50 percent by some estimates - over U.S. operations.
"There's an awful lot of pressure from customers like Earthlink on their vendors, like ClientLogic, in terms of price," said Mark Plakias, partner and senior analyst with the Zelos Group, a San Francisco-based technology research firm.
"The offshore option, which started five or six years ago, is proven now and it's creating something of a domino effect. The genie is out of the bottle," Plakias said.
Three years - the length of ClientLogic's stay in Yakima - is a long time in the call-center business.
Richard Feinberg, director of the Center for Customer-Driven Quality at Purdue University, said it's not uncommon for call centers to roll out in a rural area with high unemployment, only to pull up stakes when a better pricing option comes along.
"These centers are very eager to open in rural areas and get local concessions and then move on. It happens," Feinberg said.
He added that no call center should be dependent on one customer, as ClientLogic's Yakima center apparently was, but their customers can put them in a kind of chokehold.
"These call centers face very tough competition, and so they find themselves in a trap where the customer comes back at them demanding lower prices or else," Feinberg said.
According to trade publication reports, ClientLogic is building a 500-desk call center in Bangalore, India.
And Canada has become a favorite location for many call center companies because the low Canadian dollar cuts costs, according to Call Center Magazine.
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

Oops!! Wrong thread, Misha just kinda got me started...

:oops:
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

Those of you that have contributed musically...

How do you want to be listed in the CD Credits?? Board name, REAL name (think: Legal Issues), nickname, whatever...please PM me A.S.A.P.!!

Mike Boom, still waiting for a photo....
Misha

Post by Misha »

Sulky,

How are you doing? I read some of the stories you posted above from the paper.....

At least you beat the crowd to the unemployment office, and there's something to be said for knowing a "relationship" is over and calling it quits first...

Just look at it as a bad ex-boyfriend....

Hit Monster.com, and Hotjobs.com....as I'm sure you have, cause you are far more talented than I am at this whole computer thing....

:D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

Okay, submittors...

crash & wehit, I have not recieved any photos from you as of yet, anybody else that's submitted tracks to Blue Chair, please send photo attachments (preferably, in jpeg format) along with how you want to be listed ("Flames of Troy", etc.) to:

mandtro@earthlink.net

Blue Chair is getting the final track list toward the end of the week, will update graphics w/ changes (God willing, and if the creek don't rise) sometime this Sunday, or as early next week as time permits.

My phone line was screwed up for 3 days, or would have replied sooner...

:roll:
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

wehitandrun...

I DO have your photos, located them finally in my photo archives....great!! Will work omthing up & move things around.

crash---

Am positive your track(s) will make the CD....please send photos ASAP!!!

Love ya ALL!!

:wink:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Okay, sounds awesome. I dont know if this is asking too much too late... but can you only include the picture of me? That other boy was not involved in the new recordings I've decided to submit into the project.(if 'Honey Hush' counts)... nor Riot Act.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Pics are sent. I am not sure if I read your post correctly. Is my track on there or not ? Just wondering.

thanks
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Don't worry, crash, your track will have a prime location on the tracklist, which I am currently finalizing :D

Also, wehitandrun, if you recorded anything besides "Riot Act" then please send it along immediately; otherwise I won't be accepting any further submissions.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

wehitandrun---

Can do!! I have the next 3 days off (Wednesday, Thursday & Friday), so will find time to get things together then.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

wooo, they look great. "less than zero" looks so cool!
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Are we able to view these online here somewhere?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think this is still it--

http://members.tripod.com/sulkygirlwa/
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Tracklist will be unveiled tonight. I swear! :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

Awesome!

Am looking forward to putting the final touches to the CD Graphics, although I may not be able to complete them until next weekend...

I have this upcoming Sunday off, then will be working non-stop (vacation fill-in) for 4 days, but then--a glorious 5 days off, which should give me PLENTY of time to polish this off!!

Wish me luck, lads & ladies...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sorry for the delay.. here goes nothing:

1. I Hope You're Happy Now - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
2. Tokyo Storm Warning - Mike Boom
3. Girls Talk - crash8_durham
4. Lipstick Vogue - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
4. Big Sister's Clothes - pophead2k
5. Brilliant Mistake - Adam Miller (aka BlueChair)
6. Alison - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
7. Just A Memory - Mark Reid (aka SmallFaces1)
8. Possession - pip_52
9. Honey Hush - Kevin Scampoli (aka wehitandrun)
10. Shallow Grave - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
11. Men Called Uncle - Adam Miller (aka BlueChair)
12. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)

I need to contact those who haven't used their real names and see if they want to.
sulkygirl

Post by sulkygirl »

Got it!! Will add crash8durham to the list, & work up the final graphics sometime between now & Tuesday evening (patience, my children!!), Then, will submit for the general approval of the board....

8)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Update..

1. I Hope You're Happy Now - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
2. Tokyo Storm Warning - Mike Boom
3. Girls Talk - Mark Clay (aka crash8_durham)
4. Lipstick Vogue - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
4. Big Sister's Clothes - pophead2k
5. Brilliant Mistake - Adam Miller (aka BlueChair)
6. Alison - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
7. Just A Memory - Mark Reid (aka SmallFaces1)
8. Possession - pip_52
9. Black Sails In The Sunset - Jason Carty (aja DrJ)
10. Honey Hush - Kevin Scampoli (aka wehitandrun)
11. Shallow Grave - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
12. Men Called Uncle - Adam Miller (aka BlueChair)
13. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding - Oliver's Army (feat. noiseradio)
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

any news ?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Massive bump.

Since the board crash can someone give us an update?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mimimartini

Post by mimimartini »

Sorry I'm new here. Is this a CD for EC himself by this board?

If so, that is the coolest thing I've ever heard! I wish I could have gotten involved in this. My bands name is FLOOZY. 8)

Really good job from what I've seen...this is amazing! Has it been finished?