Bruce Thomas with The Who

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Bruce Thomas with The Who

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/whatsnew.html

John E.`s Whats New page has news of what Bruce Thomas has been up to ; he also has those Elvis`n Diana in Paris photos - the Krall forum are saying they`ll delete them from there if Ms Krall`s people ask them to do so.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Since it was previously reported that The Who was using Greg Lake on bass, I'm guessing they're not limiting themselves to a single bass player on the new album.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Well that's another great beat combo for Bruce to play with. Elvis always likened the Attractions to the Who - he was right. I hope Bruce gets the gig.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Well, Pills & Soap has a direct quote from The Temptations' Papa Was a Rolling Stone and God's Comic is an affectionate conceptual steal that shows his enduring love for Randy Newman, who Elvis always berates himself for trying to imitate on the old Charlie Gillet demos (My Aim is True reissue).

The Attractions, especially in their noisier moments, were much influnced by The Clash, and bloomin' heck why not, although, if I'm being mischievous, they didn't have the posh school credentials some of The Clash did. Obviously the Gram stuff has been enormously important to Elvis, AB is virtually a one man Gram tribute album.

I'd cite Nick Drake and Kurt Wiel as big influences during the Brodskys period. I don't know about the rest of you but in London we do get treated to EC/Brodsky reunions with almost embarrassing frequency (their take on My Mood Swings last year was a thing to behold) and I wouldn't complain a bit if he chose to record with them in some form again.

As has been said, Ole Blue Eyes has been a big influence in the last decade too. Big time.

Mose Allison's lyrical gags were an influence I'm sure on the almost interminable punning that Elvis once felt compelled to put into every line - y'know, twisting some common phrase to make it sinister or absurd. 'Maradonna and child' and 'immaterial girl' from Chewing Gum and Sleep of the Just immediately spring to mind, but most of the best examples probably come from Trust and IB.

I'm interested in the Little Feet comparisons that have been made - I've been meaning to get into them so i'll give 'em a chance now. Thanks.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It occurs to me that Bruce Thomas has actually worked with Pete Townshend before, as part of Paul McCartney's "Rockestra" project in 1979.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

JE's site has been updated and it now says that he was asked but turned it down.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Bruce would have actually fit in well with the Who!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Too bad he turned it down. That would have been a good combination.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

He could have written memoirs like Big Wheel and On The Road Again. I wonder what the lead character names would be for The Who...

And I hope he doesn't go the same way as John Entwhistle.

So Lacklustre - I take it the JE you referred to was John Everingham as opposed to a beyond the grave John Entwhistle website!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?