Norah Jones

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Norah Jones

Post by BlueChair »

Before the media frenzy, I heard a sweet young female voice and piano on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, and knew I had to buy the album immediately. It was called Come Away With Me and the artist was Norah Jones. It took a while for the media to catch up, and for many to throw Norah into the pop star pile, but she is a unique talent!

Love her or hate her, Norah Jones has a new album coming out in February entitled Feels Like Home.

It seems to continue a lot of what made her first album great. Once again, the album is co-produced by legendary producer Arif Mardin. 7 of the 13 tracks were written by Jones and/or her bandmates.

However, this time there are some guests on board. Dolly Parton offers a hand on "Creepin' In", and The Band alumnus Levon Helm and Garth Hudson offer a hand on a few tracks.

Covers include "Be Here To Love Me" by Townes Van Zant, and "The Long Way Home" by Tom Waits & Kathleen Brennan.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

i kinda liked the 1st album. i listened to the newest one on http://www.norahjones.net and i'm not impressed. it's far too "country-jazz" for me. just my 2¢.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I really love her first record. Her voice is sultry without being absurd about it, and her piano is really gorgeous too. There's something about her musical persona that is rich but modest and unpretentious. I like it. I can't help but sing along with every track while it's on.

I'll check out her new record and see if the poor dear suffers from sophomore slump, but I don't expect she will. She's a talent, and though the over-exposure could harm her, but I hope it won't.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah. I dunno, the country/jazz medling is what I really liked about her first album, and her cover of Dylan's "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" that she played on a lot of the radio appearances around that time. But I know that a lot of people are countryphobic.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think her debut is really great. And the DVD "Norah Jones live in New Orleans" (or something like that) is quite good as well. I, too, dig the jazz/country vibe...probably for the same reasons that I like Lyle Lovett so much. Anyway, I'm excited to hear that she has a new album coming out. Hers was one of the few Album of the Year Grammy's I agree with.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare