Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis gigging in Portugal in may?

Post by johnfoyle »

Can anyone here translate this?

http://jornal.publico.pt/publico/2003/1 ... .html#topo

Durutti Column e Elvis Costello Tocam em Portugal
Sexta-feira, 19 de Dezembro de 2003

Os Durutti Column, projecto do guitarrista britânico Vini Reilly, e o cantor Elvis Costello actuam no próximo ano em Lisboa e no Porto. Os Durutti Column tocam a 23 de Janeiro no espaço Santiago Alquimista, em Lisboa, e no dia seguinte no Rivoli Teatro Municipal, no Porto. Elvis Costello estará nos Coliseus do Porto e dos Recreios, em Lisboa, a 7 e 8 de Maio, respectivamente.

A realização destes concertos foi revelada à agência Lusa pela promotora PortoEventos, que desmentiu a ainda a actuação de David Byrne a 5 de Abril no Grande Auditório do Centro Cultural de Belém (CCB), como anteontem foi anunciado durante a apresentação da programação do CCB para 2004. De acordo com a PortoEventos, esse concerto foi transferido para o Coliseu dos Recreios, onde terá lugar a 3 de Abril. No dia seguinte, Byrne actuará no Coliseu do Porto.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Where's King of Spain when you need him??

:?
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

Durutti Column and Elvis Costello to play in Portugal

Durutti Column- the band of British guitar player Vini Reilly- and singer songwriter Elvis Costello will be performing live next year in Lisbon and Porto.
Durutti Column will play live on Jan. 23rd at the Santiago Alquimista (this is probably an arena) in Lisbon and at the Teatro Municipal Rivoli (theatre) in Porto the following day.
Elvis Costello will be playing at the Coliseus de POrto (Porto Coliseum) on May 7th and the Coliseu dos Recreios the following day (that is May 8th)
PortoEventos confirmed the afore mentioned dates to Lusa News Agency and stated that David Byrne will be playing the Coliseu dos Recreios on April 3rd and Porto´s Coliseum on April 4th.
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

and to think...

Gary Peacock is driving him to the gig!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here`s a link for tickets -

May 7th Coliseus de POrto (Porto Coliseum)

http://www.coliseudoporto.pt/elvis_costello_04.htm

and

May 8th Coliseu dos Recreios

http://www.coliseu-lisboa.com/index.php?mes=3&ano=2004
(who don`t have it listed yet )
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I wonder how many times Elvis has played in Portugal before. Martin? John?

Boy, would I love to see him there.

I haven't heard hardly anything since the early 80s, but I absolutely adore and own most of the early Durutti Column stuff. Vini was/is a brilliant guitarist, with a unique guitar 'voice'. I loved the fact that Factory put his stuff out. Totally different to everything else around him. His voice was hopeless, but often very moving. I think he had a bad heroin habit, he was certainly very emaciated. Tony Wilson once spoke of the dilemma of having the best vocalist in the country wanting to play trumpet (Simon Topping of A Certain Ratio, whose voice always seemed to me a pretty unsubtle copy of the immeasurably better Ian Curtis, who for me genuinely lived up to that accolade at the time, alongside Costello and Bowie, of course), and of having the best guitarist in the country, Vini, wanting to sing. I must get my hands on some of his more recent stuff. Don't suppose anyone reading this is familiar with any of it, are they?

The last I saw of him was the little outtake at the end of 24hourpartypeople where you see him fleetingly (having seen, also fleetingly, someone being him on the absurd opening night of the Hacienda) with a witty comment that there'll be more of him in the DVD extras, or something like that. I'm very tempted to buy the DVD just to see if that is the case.

And David Byrne too! Maybe I should just move to Portugal now. I used to go there a bit in my Spain days, and I love the place. Somehow incredibly romantic. Perfect for hearing North live.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This has popped up on E.C.`s official site - I
think info. on two dates was all we had before .

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.islandrecords.com/elviscoste ... try=Europe

ELVIS COSTELLO TO PLAY 3 DATES IN Portugal

Elvis Costello is to play the following 3 dates in
Portugal in May 2004

Friday 7th May 2004 Porto, Venue:Coliseu do Porto
Rua Passos Manuel, No 137, 4000-385 Porto
Venue Box Office +351 22339490

Saturday 8th May 2004 Lisbon
Rua Portos de Sto Antao, No 92, 1150-269 Lisboa
Venue Box Office +351 213240580

Sunday 9th May 2004 Figueira da Foz, Venue: Centro de
Artes e Espectáculo
Rua Abade Pedro,3080-084 Figueira da Foz
Venue Box Office +351 233407200

http://www.ticketline.pt
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Figueira da Foz! I remember going to a conference there in 1990. It's fairly small. On the coast. Wow, would love to go.