What is she doing to him???

Pretty self-explanatory
PlaythingOrPet

What is she doing to him???

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Diana Krall Among Artists to Perform in Tribute to Sting

Tony Bennett, Black Eyed Peas, Elvis Costello, Dido, Elton John, Diana Krall, k.d. lang, Dave Matthews, John Mayer and Rufus Wainwright Among Artists to Perform in Tribute to Sting

*walks off, shaking head*
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"Look out! There goes Declan!"
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

STING?????

wow. ain't love grand.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Come on people.

Sting made some very important commercials in the early nineties.
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

Why does Sting need a tribute? Is he sick or something?

...maybe its just his career....

But while you're all griping about women, you should know:

"...you look on woman as a weak creature, to be shielded and petted. We aren't anything of the sort. We're terrors! We're as hard as nails. We're awful creatures.…

My theory, Mr. Marson, is that a woman can do nearly everything better than a man. What a splendid test case this would make to settle the Votes-for-Women question once and for all! Here we are--you and I--a man and a woman, each trying for the same thing and each starting with equal chances. Suppose I beat you? How about the inferiority of women then?"

"I never said women were inferior."

"You did with your eyes."

"Besides, you're an exceptional woman."

"You can't get out of it with a compliment.”

-P.G. Wodehouse
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hmmm, dressing nice, looking happy all the time....AND playing in a Sting tribute?

THE BOY IS IN LOVE!!!! Next thing you know he and Bruce will be rockin again.....

Isn't this one of the signs of the apocolypse?
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
A rope leash

When will we have an Elvis tribute?

Post by A rope leash »

This Sting thing is kind of pissing me off. It's as close as you can get to selling Pepsi without actually saying "Pepsi good!".

And you know what else? North is okay but he sure seems whupped by his romantic life. When he's next to Krall, he doesn't seem as big and mean and fierce as he should. Now, it seems the media that be have crowned him "star", and he's going around homogenizing himself to blend in with every sort of musical act he can find. I guess that's fine for a bored, intellectually hungry musician, but shouldn't he draw the line somewhere before he gets to David Lee Roth?

He better get back to some serious jammin' pretty soon, or I'm going back to Graham Parker...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hey, if Johnny Cash can cover Sting to great affect, so can Elvis. The guy might be a knobhead, but he's written some good songs.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Oh, Jesus. I hoped it was just a rumor.

Maybe they'll have a big Gary Peacock-style blowout on stage. Now that would be cool.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

cbartal wrote:Come on people.

Sting made some very important commercials in the early nineties.
Hahaha.

Hate Sting. Don't care if he's written some classics. I hate him and everything he stands for. And you all can imagine the back-patting VH-1 special this tribute will eventually turn out to be. *Vomit.* Now EC, who was still slagging Sting at the R&RHOF, decides to do this. It's beneath him. Would Sting do an EC tribute? No.

After all these years and Sting is still a teacher: patronising us about the rainforests, educating us plebs about jazz... fuck off already.

I was able to get my head around the Elton John volte face, but not this.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

If EC performed this, Sting last decent song, that would be enough to redeem him in my book.

We Work The Black Seam

This place has changed for good
Your economic theory said it would
It's hard for us to understand
We can't give up our jobs the way we should
Our blood has stained the coal
We tunneled deep inside the nations soul
We matter more than pounds and pence
Your economic theory makes no sense

One day in a nuclear age
They may understand our rage
They build machines that they can't control
And bury the waste in a great big hole
Power was to become cheap and clean
Grimey faces were never seen
But deadly for twelve thousand years is carbon fourteen

We work the black seam together

The seam lies underground
Three million years of pressure packed it down
We walk through ancient forest lands
And light a thousand cities with our hands
Your dark satanic mills
Have made redundant all our mining skills
You can't exchange a six inch band
For all the poisoned streams in Cumberland

One day in a nuclear age

And should the children weep
The turning world will sing their souls to sleep
When you have sunk without a trace
The universe will suck me into place

One day in a nuclear age

bobster

Post by bobster »

Well, for me, I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused. Maybe that's EC's stance.

It's actually a little strange, though, because the only people I can think of he's dissed more publicly and more vituperatively in print are Bruce Thomas and Sting's manager (not sure if he's still with him), Miles Copeland.

Sting may come across (and even be) a complacent, self-satisfied fellow, but he has written a few good songs: Roxanne, Message in a Bottle, (maybe) Every Breath You Take, perhaps Russians (well, at the time I was working for an anti-nuclear/peacenik group and we were contractually obligated to love that song).

On the other hand, he brought a film crew along to the birth of his baby in "Bring on the Night" (a film I was sort of forced to sit through twice because the musician friends I came with -- and they're good ones, btw -- insisted on staying for a second show). That's a bit like thinking you're important.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
The Macintosh Man

Post by The Macintosh Man »

DrJ wrote:
cbartal wrote: Would Sting do an EC tribute? No.

DrJ
Maybe I'm reaching here, but take a look at the video The Police did for "Can't Stand Losing You" way back in '79. Looks to me like Sting's swipe at EC OR if you want a (very) loose interpretation, a tribute.

For those that don't know, the vid features a bespectacled Sting singing about a relationship gone south (to use the current vernacular.)

Just stirring things up.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

He's just tapping into Sting's audience base for some new fans. When the inevitable moment comes -- that Sting pisses EC off, unwittingly amidst characteristic wankurial antics -- and EC just can't take it any more(!) he will seize his moment and inflict THE BIG SUCKER PUNCH! -- a swift barrage of humiliating public putdowns on Sting. Between champagne guffaws, he will have been fashioning and practicing them for weeks -- in the shower, in front of the mirror... he will have written songs about it. In fact, it will inspire his latest big rock comeback album, "Life's Too Short (To Hang With Tossers)". Legions of fans -- new and old -- will stampede to record shops the world over. Sting, in the meantime, is never to recover... he grows a beard and goes to Tibet, never to be heard from again.
verbal gymnastics

Re: What is she doing to him???

Post by verbal gymnastics »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Diana Krall Among Artists to Perform in Tribute to Sting

Tony Bennett, Black Eyed Peas, Elvis Costello, Dido, Elton John, Diana Krall, k.d. lang, Dave Matthews, John Mayer and Rufus Wainwright Among Artists to Perform in Tribute to Sting
Is it April 1st already or is this actually true?

Perhaps there's been a fall out with Davey and he wants a new bass player for his new backing group....

Now there's a good one. What would Elvis call his new group if Sting was the new bass player? And perhaps Elton could replace Steve. :twisted:

Perhaps I should revive LaughingCrow's fantasy rock group thread.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Pov

Post by Pov »

bambooneedle wrote:In fact, it will inspire his latest big rock comeback album, "Life's Too Short (To Hang With Tossers)".
That's pretty funny :D I'll bet I'd find it funnier if I knew what a "tosser" is.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I don't get it??? Is it fashionable to hate Sting?? It can't be because he's a bad musician, or bad song writer.....He's actually a BETTER musician than Elvis ......by far...and better singer. I know Sting has gotten poppy and very mainstream that last years....but you can't take his talent away from him....he's a true innovator.....don't hate him just because Elvis thinks he's this or that or a phony or whatever it is....

The fact is...Sting is extremely talented.....respect it, without mocking just to sound cool.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

But is he as good as Jerry Garcia?

Sting has become a pretentious wanker. It started with the song in French on Ghost in the Machine, but it really came to fruition on Nothing Like the Sun. And it's been downhill from there, with increasing speed. I love the Police records, and I agree that he was an innovator. I even like Dream of the Blue Turtles for the most part. But the man has forgotten how to be even remotely edgy. There's not a spark of relevance to anything he's done in a decade.

Incidentally, there's some weird mirroring here. Elvis used to trash Sting, and now he's paying him tribute. Sting used to trash Rod Stewart (subject of the scathing song "Peanuts" from Outlandos D'Amour "You're just a fallen hero..."), but he recorded a song with Rod a few years later (the deplorable "All for Love.")
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Copenhagen Fan wrote:I don't get it??? Is it fashionable to hate Sting?? It can't be because he's a bad musician, or bad song writer.....He's actually a BETTER musician than Elvis ......by far...and better singer. I know Sting has gotten poppy and very mainstream that last years....but you can't take his talent away from him....he's a true innovator.....don't hate him just because Elvis thinks he's this or that or a phony or whatever it is....

The fact is...Sting is extremely talented.....respect it, without mocking just to sound cool.
Bruce Thomas - consider yourself outed! :lol:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wow, never thought that would happen......

I wonder if he wears her underwear too when she asks...

*DECLAN!!!! Stop that bloody strumming and make me another cup of green tea...and tell T-bone to get off our couch, he's been there 3 weeks and starting to stink out my collection of antique piano stools...oh but darling (purrrrrr) you will play in this concert for Stingywingy won't you....''

*Err....well...you see...*

*Cos you know what will happen, or rather what won't (heaves her busom) if you don't try and please me!''

*Yes dear*
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

a TOSSER is a MASTURBATER! this i learned here. :) Pov, you too could be a tosser!
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
verbal gymnastics

oily slick wrote:a TOSSER is a MASTURBATER! this i learned here. :) !
I always thought it was to do with a caber and Scottish highland games.
Pov

Post by Pov »

oily slick wrote:a TOSSER is a MASTURBATER! this i learned here. :) Pov, you too could be a tosser!
Well, then, who ISN"T a tosser?!? I dare anyone to claim that they've never tossed.
Joe Porterhouse

Post by Joe Porterhouse »

I think it will be cool to hear EC cover Sting.I always thought it was silly that he had a problem with Sting.It will be cool.Yes, sir-ee.I'm a fan of both and think they would sound cool together, but I'll take the baby steps.