Were the "Singles" box sets released?

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Were the "Singles" box sets released?

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The "Singles" box sets were scheduled for release in the UK yesterday. Has anyone seen them? I'm still waiting for Amazon UK to ship my order.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Why don't us North Americans get this release???
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yes I bought them on Monday morning....paid 28quid each, then today they were f*cking 19 quid...arsehole HMV bloodsucking dog-torturers!

So to the discs, many cool new tracks..

Blame It On Cain (live)
Mystery Dance (live)
Miracle Man (live)

These 3 are all excellent!!!! Essential listening recorded at a Nashville gig apparently.

Cry Cry Cry
Wondering
Blues Keep Calling
Honky Tonk Girl
Pills And Soap (extended version) is pretty cool, he just breathes for longer and draws a few notes out, no extre verse or anything.

Party Party is apparently from some dodgy film, nice track.

Everyday I Write The Book (extended mix) very cool, loads of his singing is edited out so you just hear the backing, e.g ''chapter one''......''chapter two''........no singing between these lines.Everyday I Write The Book (special version) this is the original but it suddenly cuts to just the bassline and drum ahlfway through, then resumes.
Everyday I Write The Book (instrumental) as it says.

Let Them All Talk (extended remix)
I Wanna Be Loved (extended smooch 'n' runny version)
I Wanna Be Loved (version discotheque)
The Only Flame In Town (version discotheque)
Pump It Up (1984 dance mix)
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (live)
I Hope You're Happy Now (solo version)
A Town Called Big Nothing (The Long March)

All in all it's pretty damned excellent, it's worth having for the packaging alone, but if you're not impressed by such things (or have the original singles) then it's prob not worth getting until you can con Father Christmas into buying it for you (I reccomend being nice to old people and stroking dogs, they always impress the 'nice list' compilers). The boxes are hard-card and look cool. Each CD is in a card-case in the original single design, most cds lare made to look like vinyl, but a few have a design on. There is a modest set of notes with each box, not written by EC, but by someone called Alan Robinson...some good info, I might write it up tmrw cos it's late now.

One question....is the Accidents Will Happen single supposed to be inside out? That is, the design on the inside of the cover...?? I thought I had a misprint so I took it back but they were all like it? Have I made a boo-boo, or have I been duped!!!!????
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

One question....is the Accidents Will Happen single supposed to be inside out? That is, the design on the inside of the cover...?? I thought I had a misprint so I took it back but they were all like it? Have I made a boo-boo, or have I been duped!!!!????

Yes, it's supposed to be inside out, an edition of the original single was released that way. Great to see they are sticking to these details.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Cheers martin..now can you pop over to the annex and see the thread about celebrities you are ashamed about liking, and can you tell us (if you know, which I'm sure you do) who the Irish guy is who does the tv painting.

Cheers.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Please excuse me if this subject matter was covered here before.....it probably was, but I never read all the inquiries here.......

I just saw these box sets at my local music store. What is the difference between these tracks and the material on the bonus tracks of the re-issues?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I just read the reveiws by our Laughingcrow (I told you I don't read half the posts here.......I'll learn)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

laughingcrow wrote:Party Party is apparently from some dodgy film, nice track.
"We're gonna drink enough tonight to drown the average army
By New Year's Day the next door neighbour will be goin' barmy"

"And handed me a pint-pot filled with Advocaat and Tizer
And I woke in the flowerbeds of fear and fertiliser"

"You got to learn from your mistakes
When you got a face like last week's cornflakes"

Now is the time to re-phrase "nice track", Laughing!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Well....it sounds ok, granted it's not Keats!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Today`s Observer (London) includes it`s monthly
Music supplement. Mainly a review of the year , it
doesn`t have anything to say about Elvis except for an
interesting ad. for the Demon Singles Box Sets. After
the usual intro. comments they following is stated -

`In theses sets , twenty tracks make their
first and (in most cases) only CD appearance.

The singles also feature all the special 12"
mixes ( both UK and US) where appropriate , none of
which have featured (and will not feature) on the 2 CD
Deluxe Editions of EC`s albums. `

This is the first ad. I`ve seen that
explicitly states this ; hopefully it also means that
the next round of re-issues are finalised and on the
way.

-------------------------------------------------------

The same supplement has a great feature on
Dennis Wilson - see
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/stor ... 42,00.html
- ending

`Within a few years he would be excised from the
band's history. It was as though Pacific Ocean Blue
had never even existed. Once again he would be their
no-talent drummer - the lothario who surfed. The Beach
Boys continued without Dennis. They were on the way to
'Kokomo' and lucrative duets with The Fat Boys. For
that journey they had no need of their soul.`

Hear , hear!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

This item appeared in the March 2004 issue of ICE
http://www.icemagazine.com/contents/content_205.shtm
-Accidents will happen
Reader T.J. Young of Bloomington, MN writes, “In the U.K., Demon/ Edsel released three box sets (The Singles VoIs. 1-3) that reproduce Elvis Costello’s original vinyl singles over a total of 35 CDs. The amount of love and care lavished on them is immediately evident, and several tracks make their CD debut on these collections. However, in at least two instances, it seems the wrong tapes were employed.
“On the original vinyl single for ‘I Want You,’ the B-side was a solo demo of the song ‘I Hope You’re Happy Now.’ On its new CD counterpart, the version of ‘I Hope is actually a previously unreleased full-band outtake from the King of America sessions.
“Similarly, the version of ‘Wondering’ that appears on the ‘I’m Your Toy (Live)’ single also seems to be an alternate. Although very similar, there are some variations in the vocal track that give it away.
“In both cases, this results in the original versions of these tracks remaining sadly unavailable on CD. Are there any plans for Demon/ Edsel to issue a corrected edition?
“On a happier note, if should be noted that the ‘Alison’ single has an unlisted third track, the (in) famous U.S. single mix of ‘Alison.’ It features added synth-strings and other incongruous elements that Elvis himself has repeatedly disavowed!”
To ascertain how these accidents happened, we contacted Val Jennings of Demon/Edsel in the U.K., the point man at the label for this project. Jennings confirms for ICE the obvious, that the wrong masters were pulled for those two tracks. The upside for collectors, of course, is the acquisition of two new Costello outtakes, which had never been heard before. “They’re not so hugely different as to be headline news,” Jennings surmises, “but they’re still two previously unreleased tracks, which is a plus side.”
Jennings did not say the set would be corrected and re-pressed; labels usually wait to see how well a release of this nature sells before deciding on second runs. But the possibility of compiling one more disc gathering the rest of Elvis’s odds & ends — including the two
versions that should have been on the Singles boxes — is a very real one.
“It depends in the end, really, on whether we have enough material for it,” Jennings says. He cites as one example “the 12-inch special remix of ‘Green Shirt,’ only released in the U.K. as sort of a ‘cash-in’ type single on green vinyl, back in 1984, to go with the first-ever TV compilation of Elvis’s stuff.” Still completely unavailable on CD.
As for including the much-derided mix of “Alison” as the third, unlisted track on that single, Jennings says, “That was the only way Elvis would let me include it: if we didn’t mention it. I was pleased I managed to talk him into doing that, but that was the only way he’d allow me.
“One of the many European fanzines made much in their review that we missed the opportunity to include that track — even though we include a picture of the Columbia label. I can’t be bothered to write to him and say, ‘Maybe you should try actually listening to the record [laughter].”
Jennings added an anecdote about the packaging: “Volume one includes the single sleeve for ‘Accidents Will Happen’ in its original form, as it was released in the U.K., where the [sleeve] was actually made up inside-out [graphics on the inside, plain white paper on the outside]. As a result, I’ve been waiting for a flood of calls — in fact, I’ve been waiting for a call from ICE — with people saying, ‘Oh, this is wrong.’ But so far I’ve only had two calls, one from the printer in England and one from a guy in Vienna... neither of whom got the joke
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hmmm, I want to buy volume 3. I see it at Newbury Comics every day, but it's 60$.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

You need to start saving your pocket money then.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah, you're right. Hopefully nobody purchases it up on me.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

WHAR...buy it off of amazon.co.uk and have it shipped...it's 25 quid, so that should translate to about 40dollars-ish....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 83-4734259
johnfoyle

Re: Were the "Singles" box sets released?

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Re: Were the "Singles" box sets released?

Post by johnfoyle »