Any Elvis songs you don't like?

Pretty self-explanatory
John

Any Elvis songs you don't like?

Post by John »

I'll begin with Luxembourg. :( For 22 years I could hardly make out any of it. Only recently printed the Trust lyrics off the internet.
Could add Sour Milk-Cow Blues/The Great Unknown/The Deportees Club, consecutive tracks from side two of Goodbye Cruel World - not my favourite section of an Elvis LP.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I find myself skipping "I'm Not Angry" a lot. I don't like Painted From Memory. And there are a few songs on When I Was Cruel that annoy me after a while.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah I hate nearly all of his stuff apart from Alison.

:lol: Disclaimer : this is a joke.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Damn...I didn't see the disclaimer LC...guess I'll have to unban you now... :wink:
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I despise Painted From Memory. So that's that. And I don't quite fancy 'Oh Well' It just iritates me...
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

BlueChair wrote:I find myself skipping "I'm Not Angry" a lot. I don't like Painted From Memory. And there are a few songs on When I Was Cruel that annoy me after a while.
WIWC may be the only EC album I don't know all the way through, there really is a lot of fat on it.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

WIWC suffers from the 'bring back vinyl' syndrome (that's the response, not the view of the creator), but I'd only remove Oh Well and Soul for Hire. The rest of it is corking. Broken is my obvious response, but he didn't write it, basically. Luxembourg is a laugh! there's some filler on PFM, but also some sheer genius. I love every second of North (though Impatience is very much a bonus track, doesn't fit the rest, and is nowhere near as interesting), and I love the song North. the thing about Elvis is that even almost all his weaker moments are still highly justifiable. Amazing consistency of quality.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Along with the obvious Broken and Oh Well, throw in Sulky Girl and God Give Me Strength as well. I will not have a word said against Playboy or I Wanna Be Loved so don't go puttin' them on your lists! :wink:
Misha

Post by Misha »

The temptation is so great here to put...Playboy or I Wanna Be Loved, but I can't do it....

On the other hand, Night Rally, while I like most of the song, when he starts going..."night rally, night rally, night rally, night rally, night rally, night rally, night rally, night rally, night rally" I end up yelling shut up already and skipping the song......ditto with Alibi....like the rest of the song, but "alibi, alibi, alibi, alibi" How many times can one listen to the same freakin word/s again and again without going bonkers?

I haven't listened to Painted from Memory much.....so not on my list...yet... :wink:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I love Luxenbourg to pieces.

Don't like Painted From Memory at all. For The Stars even less so. Juliet Letters are growing on me, but I still don't much like them, and I'm not sure I have another decde of patience to let the grow on me to the point where I like them.

Of his rock work, I like least many songs on Goodbye Cruel World, Broken, and a handful of scattered tunes. MAIT has a couple of duds, I think (I'm Not Angry is one of them). And Goon Squad is silly. But I still like them a lot.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Am I the only one who loves "Im Not Angry"? That was one of my first favorite Elvis songs.

As far as songs I dont like, there are some but they change constantly (like my favorites), so I cant even name them. Ill say I dont like a song and then however many months later Ill listen to it again and wonder what I was thinking when I dismissed it in the first place. This happens so often Im beginning to doubt the validity of my own opinion to myself.

So far this hasnt happened with "Chemistry Class", "Broken", or "20% Amnesia."
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

pip - I love I'm Not Angry too. But I also love Chemistry Class, Broken, and 20% Amnesia, particularly The live version of CC.

Pop - You know I don't like IWBL.

I think WIWC is vastly underrated, I like all of it and there are plenty of standout tracks: Alibi; Tart; 45; Episode of Blonde; 15 Petals; when I was Cruel No.2; dust2.....dust ; Spooky Girlfriend.

I also like the much maligned Broken.

I'll take flak for this but I've never been over keen on I Want You.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Misha wrote:How many times can one listen to the same freakin word/s again and again without going bonkers?
Misha - how can you say that? You look at the same joke and still crack up laughing weeks later :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've said it before on this site. I'm with Otis. I love WIWC but Oh Well and Soul for Hire don't sit comfortably on it.

I'm not a big fan of Veronica.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

To the people who said Sulky Girl and 20% Amnesia, I say: Brutal Youth can do no wrong.

I could do without Dissolve and Daddy, Can I Turn This?, as long as we're talking about WIWC.
Altruistic bum

Post by Altruistic bum »

There's only one song out of all the hundreds that I really don't like - The Stamping Ground, I'd always skip that track, just find it too dirgey and depressingly monotonous.
Still it was only a B-Side , and one out of 300 or so ( or is it more ?) aint bad.
A rope leash

Ghastly!

Post by A rope leash »

I've had about enough of this heresy!

Skipping over Elvis tracks! Why, I never!

*sticks fingers in ears, yells loudly*

"Heyht! Aryeht!"
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i love i´m not angry, specially the live version.....
....as for broken........come on you guys.......have you payed attention to the MLAR bonus disc.....the broken demo?......it´s awesome! his vocal performance there is just so heartbreaking......give it try!

......oh, bythe way i can´t stand lipstick vogue
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Misha

Post by Misha »

VG,

No sense posting all of my nasty secrets...(she says while sniggering yet again)

I may yet make a bumper sticker out of it.

Thought of you while driving today,,,,chuckled again.

Sad...but still true. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
theimposter1979

All these useless little atoms

Post by theimposter1979 »

I think it has to be 'Little atoms'. I just dont get on with it! I find the 'All this useless beauty' album my least favourite. Though to its defence he played it in Birmingham the other week and it wasnt so bad....

I wont hear any dissing of Goodbye cruel world- a forgotten classic!

Interested in taking part in the ultimate Elvis tribute?
thecatspyjamas@elvis-costello.net wants to hear from you.....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Only if you tell us what it is here first!

Another person at Birmingham. Cool. I take it you weren't one of those who left early! I was so excited when he played Little Atoms, it was so unexpected. Boy that's a fantastic LP.

This is a bizarre thread, cos I can't get my head around anyone not worshipping Lipstick Vogue (even if you ain't into drums/Pete, it's still so exciting) or God Give Me Strength. And imagine actually wanting to listen to the Broken demo!

Well it's a fine testament to the bizarre diversity of life. And I love the noisy liveliness of Dissolve and Daddy Can I Turn This. For me the former just sits so well positioned where it is. The latter is just class.

There are several bonus CD songs on the reissues that I wouldn't be at all bothered about hearing again, but none I really dislike. They're still Elvis (which doesn't apply to Broken, that isn't Elvis, honest).
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

touché, otis...... :oops:
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
theimposter1979

THE CATS PJs

Post by theimposter1979 »

No I stayed in Birmingham to the end! Though I began to panic as it hit 11Pm as I had to get back to a car park by 11:30 otherwise I would have been stranded for the night!!! Highlights 'Inch by inch' and 'North'

Ive listened to 'ATUB' a lot this week and I find myself adding 'Distorted angel' to my list....

The Cats Pyjamas will be a web site/ limited release (hopefully) of every Elvis track covered by you! Its still in the early stages and the web site will be up soon.

Its gonna be big!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i like Broken.

we all know how i feel about Veronica (EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!).

V. is the only thing i can't really listen too. i tried, i really did.

and i know what it's about, and i respect that. i respect the sentiment and that it's a pop classic. i still hate it. passionately. :)

well, you did ask.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Along with the obvious Broken and Oh Well, throw in Sulky Girl and God Give Me Strength as well. I will not have a word said against Playboy or I Wanna Be Loved so don't go puttin' them on your lists! :wink:
Sulky Girl???

:evil:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."