starve a cold

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

starve a cold

Post by miss buenos aires »

My nose is all stuffed up, and it's making me grouchy. And groggy. Any suggestions for relief? I've been popping chewable C's like candy (they taste like candy) and drinking tea from the health food store. Does working out help or hurt?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Miss BA..if you go to the gym and ride the bike and sweat that might help..OR Theraflu!! That stuff will straighten you right out...trust me.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
verbal gymnastics

Re: starve a cold

Post by verbal gymnastics »

miss buenos aires wrote:Does working out help or hurt?
I find that working out is a kill or cure. It usually cures me.

Apart from that isn't steam supposed to work? You heat up a bowl and then place your head over it with a towel and inhale. I've never actually tried this but then (touching every bit of wood in sight) I don't really tend to suffer from colds.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Verbal..she asked about how to cure a cold..not smoke crack??? :lol:
A rope leash

This is not a joke.

Post by A rope leash »

Believe it or not, an orgasm will clear your head.

However, the relief is temporary.

So, you have to keep having...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I hate to follow my idea behind Rope's suggestion, but a nice steamy shower might help. Of course, not during the work day - when you get home. :wink:

Feel better, Miss BA.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Dunno if you get this product over there but Vicks sinex nasal spry works like magic! A couple of squirts up each nostril clears your nose and head for a whole 8 hours!

We too all have nasty cold/flu like symptoms here - banging headache, fuzzy head, blocked nose, aching limbs and massive sneezing attacks. I actually took the day off work today cos I feel so yucky so I must be ill! :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

hey, i just got back from the doc and my almost 3 year old has pneumonia. running pneumonia i might note as the only symptom is a nasty cough. this cough started the minute ms slick ran out the door to fool around in hilton head for 4 days. and continuing with the self-pity, i had a meeting all last evening and this afternoon, 73 year-old me gets to go have a teacher conference for my kindergartner. feel any better miss ba? other than that, throw away the vitamin c, that's a joke. overdose on decongestants and yes, work out. mind over matter. deny it and keep moving.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Poor oily. We'll start a new thread to give you more pity. :)
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

oily slick wrote: deny it and keep moving.
Yes, keep moving, but make sure you get lots of sleep! For me at least, lack of sleep is when I get colds and as soon as I start getting what I need again, I clear up pretty quick. Then again, I tend to need a ridulous amount of sleep so maybe I'm an exception here :lol:
bobster

Post by bobster »

I hate to differ from the majority here, but I'd say that -- especially if you have a fever or feel one coming on, you should delay the work out, or at least take it slightly easier than usual. Exercise does lots of good things for you, but it can lower your resistance to viruses. If you have a full on fever and feel tired, I would actually consider acting like a sick person and staying in, sleeping a lot, etc. (Though women are so much tougher than men about this sort of thing, so who knows.)

Also, Echinacea is a lot more effective for nipping colds in the bud than Vitimen C, which doesn't seem to do much of anything other than preventing scurvy. Once you have the cold, Zinc is a pretty good way to try and cut it shorter. ("Cold Ease" is a supermarket version of this that you might like if you want an easy to suck on hard candies. Trader Joes sells a much less tasty version that probably has more of the real stuff, though.)

Still, people mean all sorts of things by "colds" and, if you not suffering from a fever and feel fine other than the sniffling, it might even be an allergy or something else.

BTW -- this is all stuff I gathered from reading articles and my old jobs , which were largely tied up with the whole alternative health thing (which I don't buy into 100%), so take that for what it's worth.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Oh, I almost forgot -- chicken soup! "Jewish pennicillin" my mother calls it, and there have actually been some studies showing that something in chicken soup might actually help with the immune system (or something). In my family, we're personally convinced that when they finally find a cure for cancer and/or AIDS, it's going to be something in chicken soup!

Also, spicy food is good for clearing out the gunk. (I.e., put some tabasco or something in the soup.)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

actually the product Zicam shortens and makes my colds less severe, but you have to start it at the first sign. i took echinacea for a whole winter when i moved back north and was constantly sick, but a lot of people take it. it fails in the only studies i've seen. maybe just try the orgasm thing.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Hot, spicy food might help to open your sinuses up, and something with ginger might help if your stomach starts acting ornery.
IStandAccused

Port

Post by IStandAccused »

~And a bit of nice Port will help too. Feel better soon xx~
whtesde wrote:Hot, spicy food might help to open your sinuses up, and something with ginger might help if your stomach starts acting ornery.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
miss buenos aires

bobster wrote:Also, Echinacea is a lot more effective for nipping colds in the bud than Vitamin C, which doesn't seem to do much of anything other than preventing scurvy.
But Vitamin C, as I believe I've mentioned, tastes like candy. Echinacea tastes like ohgodkillmenowrightnowgackgackgack.
bobster wrote:Still, people mean all sorts of things by "colds" and, if you not suffering from a fever and feel fine other than the sniffling, it might even be an allergy or something else.
Um, it's a cold. Is it really that complicated to self-diagnose? I don't get allergies.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Here's what you wanna do Miss BA.....

Honey and lemon!!

boil up the kettle, pour some lemon juice (a good few swigs) into a glass, then put a couple of teaspoons of honey in...leave the metal spoon in so the glass doesn't break, and pour in the hot water. Mix it all up, and drink while snuggled up on the couch with a hot water bottle watching the telly.
bobster

Post by bobster »

miss buenos aires wrote:Echinacea tastes like ohgodkillmenowrightnowgackgackgack.
I feel your pain, Ms. BA. Echinacea is widely available in highly popable pill form. It seems to work for me, sometimes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

ok, i'm off of self-pity; got antibiotics going and as long as my little buddy keeps breathing i'll make it. after all cisco got a good report, i have 3000 shares of something that went up 20% today due to earnings (unfortunately it is only a $6 stock going to 7+), and i got my holiday tickets to the st louis symphony performing handel's messiah with itzhak perlman conducting. i hope you feel better miss ba and gilli and the clan also.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Where's DrJ??

I agree with whtesde, a hot spicy curry always works wonders for me.
signed with love and vicious kisses
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A fast might help. Food bogs you down... processing it deprives the body of energy (in the short run) to get better. You might want to have just some orange juice, or something very light. It's funny that you called the thread that.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

time to get honest...actually the best remedy is 20 lashes and a butt plug with a creep in a soiled wife beater t-shirt screaming ....."stop your whining woman"..... :lol:
bobster

Post by bobster »

Now, there's an idea for an alternative health book that would really sell!
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

this is advice no one likes to hear but with a cold you can use antihistimines or decongestants to keep from feeling completely shitty the whole time you have it but for the most part it will just run its coarse no matter what you do. if the cold persists for lets say a week it could be an upper respitory infection (is your phlemgn all greenish?) in which case you might want to see about getting some antibiodics. as far as working out goes if you don't do it on a regular basis than do a very light workout, you wouldn't believe how many people we get in the er who collapse on treadmills because they are over doing it. you can't sit on your ass for fifty years and then one day decide you're gonna start a hardcore workout program. also keep in mind that this is cold and flu season (at least it is here in the states i don't know if your in jersey or paris right now) so the vitamin c is a good idea for prevention but it won't cure the current cold. i just got over a hell of a case of bronchitis (i was sicker than half of our patients) so i feel your pain.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
miss buenos aires

Thank you, everybody, but I should probably tell you that it was a very shortlived cold. The first day I got it, I slept for about ten hours, and the next day I felt about 90% better. But I still have this big bottle of Vitamin C, and it still tastes like candy...