jam band IMPOSTERS everyone! or say i'm wrong...

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

jam band IMPOSTERS everyone! or say i'm wrong...

Post by bronxapostle »

hey all...as doc will be uploading fridays shows shortly, i need to ask. please take a good hard listen to the three BIG guitar jams Elvis stormed through: TURPENTINE, STELLA HURT and THE SPELL THAT YOU CAST! sit back with a pair of headphones and/or volume cranked way UP, twist a winner and tell me EC and Steve's INCREDIBLE jamming on each of these tracks, alongside the killer Pete-Davey rhythm section (BEST ever since Pete-Bruce!), doesn't rival some serious tripped out jam bands noodlings. think GD at their heights or VERY intense RYAN & CARDINALS winners........SPACE!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
the_platypus

Re: jam band IMPOSTERS everyone! or say i'm wrong...

Post by the_platypus »

I wouldn't go as far as to compare them to GD, but the band does get into some pretty intense jams sometimes. Remember those early performances of "Button My Lip"?
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

i happen to agree with both of you. wouldn't compare 'em to GD, but i definitely noticed some great jams during that show. i was half expecting them to go do Lipstick Vogue, since (especially in the early days) they could go on some serious tangents during that number. i also noticed how Turpentine kinda took the place of Lipstick as they segued quite successfully into Detectives, much like the Attractions used to do with Lipstick.

as a side note, i just have to express how pleasantly surprised i was at the inclusion of the number of tunes from Momofuku. very glad they haven't been forgotten, seeing as everybody wasn't able to fork out the dough to see the imposters/police tour that supported the album.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

the_platypus wrote:I wouldn't go as far as to compare them to GD, but the band does get into some pretty intense jams sometimes. Remember those early performances of "Button My Lip"?
yeh, my ONLY ever BUTTON MY LIP at AVERY FISHER HALL was heavenly...as was that nights LOVE THAT BURNS!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

somebody else agrees...

Jack Coraggio

Special To the Courant

July 25, 2011

(extract)

Elvis Costello & The Imposters brought an unbelievably fantastic show that likely proselytized some New Wave converts. An energetic closer of "Pump It Up" and the fitting "What's So Funny (About Peace, Love and Understanding)" could not be denied brilliance. On "Watching the Detectives," a track that bobs like any anchored boat floating the Sound, Costello proved he could host brilliant jam sessions of jungle drumming, scatting and wailing guitars that could easily rival the likes of jam band princes and earlier performer moe.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

I definitely got a jam band feel from that Vibe set. Pretty appropriate!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

the_platypus wrote:I definitely got a jam band feel from that Vibe set. Pretty appropriate!
yeh, just listened to most of that on the way to the show tonight. AWESOME recording of a great jammy night, huh?