Elvis at McCartney White House Tribute, June 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
Ypsilanti

Re: Elvis to Perform at McCartney White House Tribute

Post by Ypsilanti »

krm wrote:
Ypsilanti wrote: However, I will take the Pope's suggestion and look for new dis-information in the "Lies and Inventions" section. I actually love that part--it's hilarious. But, in truth, I don't visit it as often as I might because it's a pain in the ass to scroll through his entire life every time I visit that page. There's no convenient way to just look at 2009, for example.

There is actually. Take the link http://www.elviscostello.com/lies-inventions/page19 and just manually change the page number, - here "19" - to any other page you like to see. Like "18" or "12" or anything.
You mean just highlight the page number and type over it? Sadly, this does not work when I try it.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

cwr wrote:Yeah, I have to say, maybe I'm alone in this, but the kind of disinformation EC has inserted into his online biography doesn't particularly amuse me. Saying that The Attractions recorded a version of MAIT that was accidentally issued and then deleted is a fairly obscure kind of *joke*-- either you know he didn't record it with him and realize, "oh, this is a funny lie" or, if I was a new fan, it might be this frustrating thing where I get my hopes up that this will be issued someday only to find out at some point later, "oh, it doesn't exist...
That's a good point--and as a relatively new fan, I'm just the sort of person to be "fished in" by some of the more obscure lies/jokes. But I feel there's something sort of genius about what he's doing with "Lies & Inventions"--taking a form, like "autobiography", which comes with a built-in sheen of truth, and then screwing with it in fairly subtle ways. The basic facts of his life appear to be correct, but he's also playing with the idea that all autobiographies are filled with lies, intentionally or not. On another level, it like a game for his super-nerdlinger-level fans, who can take the time, if they wish, to sort the facts from the fiction. But once he introduced that first bit of fiction, it threw all the facts off-balance. If I reject the idea that there is an Attractions version of MAIT, can I really believe he was born in 1954? There's something sort of demonically wacky and appealing about that--a sort of "Puppet Master" vibe which I like. And I'm sure "Lies & Inventions" is also born from his frustration at reading so many inaccuracies about himself, written by "actual" journalists (How many times has "Alison" been misidentified as "My Aim Is True"? How often has his father been called a "Big Band Leader", rather than "Big Band Singer"?). After all, every reader is warned right at the beginning--that page isn't called "The Totally True Story Of My Life".
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Ypsilanti wrote:
krm wrote:
Ypsilanti wrote:
There is actually. Take the link http://www.elviscostello.com/lies-inventions/page19 and just manually change the page number, - here "19" - to any other page you like to see. Like "18" or "12" or anything.
You mean just highlight the page number and type over it? Sadly, this does not work when I try it.
Are you changing the number in the URL address at the very top of the browser? Just go to the end of the current URL of the page you're on and alter the page number to whatever number you like...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A boot cover on the 'net -

Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Enjoyed the cover of Penny Lane and twas a good performance of a difficult song that he pulled off with aplomb. The picolo trumpet solo was really good. But am I alone in saying this whole appearance made my stomach churn? It appears Elvis has put his chips in a political camp, and thats fine, but I hated to see it. And anyone who is paying any attention, and I had hoped that at least Elvis has, would know that BOTH camps are complete frauds. Not to politicize this, but I'm sorry, Obama has left a lot to be desired, and I despised Bush. Anyone can borrow boatloads of money and make appearances on THE VIEW, and pass a healthcare bill that improves little and bankrupts the nation, and continue the war in Afghanistan that accomplishes nothing. The only difference between Obama and Bush is . . . Obama just tells us what we want to hear, Bush just couldn't communicate it and bungled any attempt.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:Enjoyed the cover of Penny Lane and twas a good performance of a difficult song that he pulled off with aplomb. The picolo trumpet solo was really good. But am I alone in saying this whole appearance made my stomach churn? It appears Elvis has put his chips in a political camp, and thats fine, but I hated to see it. And anyone who is paying any attention, and I had hoped that at least Elvis has, would know that BOTH camps are complete frauds. Not to politicize this, but I'm sorry, Obama has left a lot to be desired, and I despised Bush. Anyone can borrow boatloads of money and make appearances on THE VIEW, and pass a healthcare bill that improves little and bankrupts the nation, and continue the war in Afghanistan that accomplishes nothing. The only difference between Obama and Bush is . . . Obama just tells us what we want to hear, Bush just couldn't communicate it and bungled any attempt.
Can't agree. This was as close to an apolitical event as you can have given the surroundings. For me it was a celebration of music and musicians. I was not thinking about war in the Mideast or health care reform while listening to Jack White and Corinne Bailey Rae/Herbie Hancock give their brilliant renditions of Paul's songs.

The White House removed Paul's quip about Bush and the library. Why? To remove any hint of politics from the event.

My 2 cents.
(sad that there is no longer a "cents" symbol on the current keyboard, isn't it?)
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote: And anyone who is paying any attention, and I had hoped that at least Elvis has, would know that BOTH camps are complete frauds.
Totally agree! Living in the DC area I am surrounded by it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another honour for Macca in Dec. - possible guest action by Elvis?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02439.html
docinwestchester

johnfoyle wrote:Another honour for Macca in Dec. - possible guest action by Elvis?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02439.html
Wouldn't surprise me. The Kennedy Center Awards show is very similar to the White House show. Paul will sit in the audience, next to the Obamas, and listen to other musicians sing his songs. The Springsteen tribute this year was outstanding.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQ2MTU5OTc2.html
Sting - The Rising

If EC's there, I hope we'll hear a different gem. Penny Lane was amazing, but I want another classic. How 'bout Uncle Albert (with trumpet, of course)?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Enterta ... ey-Rae.htm

Corinne Bailey Rae

14/10/2010

The soulful singer-songwriter talks to Jennifer Shelton about looking to the future - and hanging out with Paul McCartney and Barack Obama.

(extract)

Like her first album, which won her two MOBO Awards and three Grammy nominations, The Sea has earned Corinne praise of the highest order. While touring the US, Corinne was asked to perform as part of a concert honouring Sir Paul McCartney, held at The White House – a compliment she hardly seems sure how to explain.

“It was a really good opportunity,” she breathes, still overwhelmed. “I just couldn’t quite work out why he’d invited me amongst all those people! Jack White was there, Elvis Costello, Stevie Wonder. . . But yeah, Paul McCartney wanted me to be there!

“We played his songs and met the President; it was really good fun. Paul McCartney’s obviously such a great songwriter and such a massive influence on so many people. It’s kind of impossible to escape The Beatles in popular music.”

As well as meeting pop royalty, Corinne was introduced to President Obama and his family and was struck, not only by their kindness – but also by their height.

“They’re all extremely tall!,” laughs Corinne. “The first child, Malia Ann, is as tall as me! But it was really nice to meet them, they were just like a regular family.

"I found out that Michelle’s got me on her iPod,” she giggles. “It was great to hear that. And the girls came out to meet me too which was really sweet. Though we had a rehearsal the night before and we had to stop at 8.30pm because the kids had to do their homework and we were playing below their bedrooms.”
docinwestchester

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Enterta ... ey-Rae.htm

Corinne Bailey Rae

14/10/2010

The soulful singer-songwriter talks to Jennifer Shelton about looking to the future - and hanging out with Paul McCartney and Barack Obama.

She was outstanding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sn-syCPRyM
Blackbird w/Herbie Hancock
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lets' renew speculation about Elvis being part of this -

http://www.examiner.com/paul-mccartney- ... -s-darling

With Kennedy Center honors Sunday, Sir Paul McCartney is now America's darling

December 4th, 2010

His name may be Sir Paul McCartney in certain circles, but in the United States, there's no doubt he's our guy.
In 2010 alone, McCartney played the White House and was honored by the President of the United States. He gave a news conference at the Library of Congress (see the video on our YouTube channel here).

He toured the U.S. extensively this, playing from coast to coast, including the upcoming Apollo Theater show for Sirius/XM radio.

And all the while, Americans can't get enough. The tour's been a huge success, both with fans and critics. Americans love the music and they love him. Not bad for a guy near 70.

Now comes the Kennedy Center Honors, which take place on Sunday night. (They'll be broadcast in the U.S. from 9-11 p.m. Dec. 28 ET/PT on CBS.)

Next to the White House ceremony, this is pretty much the epitome of American celebrations. He won't be alone -- also being honored are Merle Haggard, Oprah Winfrey, Jerry Herman and Bill T. Jones. How much more American can you get?

He's also in great past company. The awards, in their 33rd year, and which honor five recipients annually, have previously featured Frank Sinatra, James Brown, Smokey Robinson, Tony Bennett, Diana Ross, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, George Jones and Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey. Not all of them are American, but most are.

There are reports going around that Steven Tyler of Aerosmith will croon Beatles songs at the ceremony in McCartney's honor. A McCartney rep told us he couldn't confirm or deny the report. If it's true, we hope he has some loud backup.

At any rate, America doesn't have knighthood, but the Kennedy Center honors and being celebrated at the White House are about as close as you can get. For a guy from humble beginnings in Liverpool, it doesn't get much better than this.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnnXgIJn ... r_embedded

http://haverhillfever.com/elvis-costell ... haverhill/

Elvis Costello silently rocks downtown Haverhill

Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 by Cosmic Amanda

Just in case you’ve ever wondered if any of the random assortment of junk in the windows of Haverhill TV and Appliance actually works, I captured this oddly hypnotic moment back in October, courtesy of their forever-for-sale console TV. See? Works great! $79.95 worth of great, though? I’m not so sure. Somehow, I feel like that price is like 1980′s dollars converted to today’s dollars
docinwestchester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJKLJ_JoJIg

Just a little update on this video. It's been viewed about 70,000 times and there are 117 comments. Generally they are all very positive and downright effusive. But these 2 tonight are a bit puzzling:

Makes me wanna PUKE the way ppl suck up to Obama or any president...MIster President SIR...FUCK OFF...hes only a temporary elected member of the people aint he ? No ? So why is DICKHEAD Bush and Clinton still sycophantly called mister President...sorry but yanks do PHONINESS so well...prob the phoniest ppl on earth...no sorry not prob DEFFO. Wow imagine calling Tony Blair mister primeminister...PUKE. I hate monarchy also but at least the Queens clever and been around 60 yrs her family 1000yrs
XxpauldadudexX 5 hours ago

He thankd Macca but its a Lennon song isnt it...I like Costello....funny wheres his scouse àccent gone ? so money changes accents not geography...hate phoney showbizz twats...all of em REALLY
XxpauldadudexX 5 hours ago

"Queens clever"? "its a Lennon song"? WTF? I'd love some psychoanalysis by the many insightful people on this board.

thanks,
doc
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

It looks like the pubs closed in England... Glad to see Americans are still loved around the world.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Will Elvis make a second visit to the White House? Next year's Gershwin Prize recipients are Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2011/11-181.html
docinwestchester

And No Coffee Table wrote:Will Elvis make a second visit to the White House? Next year's Gershwin Prize recipients are Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2011/11-181.html
He's gotta be there for that. Here's Penny Lane on my new YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjg_oZusC4
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Worthy winner. I'm pleased.

Thinking about the serious real contenders for this and wonder if they'll ever give it to Dylan...
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

The imposter wrote:Worthy winner. I'm pleased.

Thinking about the serious real contenders for this and wonder if they'll ever give it to Dylan...
It seems a bit shocking that Dylan wasn't the first one they rushed to give it to (although McCartney made a certain sense). His body of work is so towering that it puts pretty much everyone else - most of whom never would have existed in their present form, as artists, if not for Dylan (c.f. Paul Simon) - in the shade. Bizarre, really; and it exemplifies a pet theory of mine that the wider culture has barely even begun to come to grips with Dylan's achievement. Or perhaps Bob's limitations as a musician lower his stature with this sort of crowd ? :|
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Agree, PD, that Dylan should have been the obvious choice given the body of work but I would love to see them go slightly askew and correctly honor Brian Wilson, arguably the greatest living 'pure' pop musician and an inheritor of Gershwin's highly evolved sense of melody and harmony[also a real admirer of the award's namesake if you ever listen to him or his recent tribute record]. Or perhaps really be original and recognize Mr. Waits, another 'real' original pop subversive.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Agree, PD, that Dylan should have been the obvious choice given the body of work but I would love to see them go slightly askew and correctly honor Brian Wilson, arguably the greatest living 'pure' pop musician and an inheritor of Gershwin's highly evolved sense of melody and harmony[also a real admirer of the award's namesake if you ever listen to him or his recent tribute record]. Or perhaps really be original and recognize Mr. Waits, another 'real' original pop subversive.
Yes, if the point is to recognize specifically 'pop' musical virtues, then Dylan is far from the best choice; McCartney and Wilson (probably) are. So would Ron Sexsmith, once he becomes 'elder statesman,' and so would our boy Elvis. These artists have an accessible musicality to them that isn't characteristic of Dylan's thorny brand of genius.

But then again: if pop musicality is indeed the primary critereon, then I wonder about the previous choices of Stevie Wonder and Paul Simon. Yes, yes, both are incontestably pop innovators as well as major artists, and the Wonder selection makes sense for obvious political reasons. But, and maybe I'm wrong here, I don't really see a direct line from Gershwin's sensibility to Stevie Wonder - certainly not as direct a line as exists from Gershwin to McCartney or Brian Wilson. So Wilson should have preceded Wonder on the list. As for Paul Simon, for all that he has a toehold in 'pop,' he seems to me more of a prototypical singer-songwriter, as much rooted in folk as the domains of Gershwin and Berlin. But if you're going in that direction then Dylan HAS to be the Alpha (if not the Omega as well, which he may well be! Like I say, I really don't think we've begun to get our heads around the scale of Dylan's achievement).

Now as for Tom Waits, he just might be the greatest songwriter among those who came of age after the mid-60s (the great era of Dylan, Beach Boys, and Beatles). But calling him 'pop,' again, seems to stretch the term. :lol: Of course I can be criticized here for fetishizing terms like 'pop,' 'folk,' etc.. I see this concern, but that throws us back to the original problem: if the point is just to recognize sheer songwriting greatness, then nobody is in the same league as Mr. Dylan, so the committee's neglect of him is bizarre. It's all a bit puzzling.
Jack of All Parades

PD, perhaps I am too lax in my usage of 'pop'. For me it is slang for popular music which for me encompasses all the sub genres such as folk, r&b, blues, etc.. Dylan is there in a heartbeat as well as others that you have mentioned[although I would place Ron on the next level below]. Dylan is a magpie much like Gershwin. They both roam so far in their music.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:PD, perhaps I am too lax in my usage of 'pop'. For me it is slang for popular music which for me encompasses all the sub genres such as folk, r&b, blues, etc.. Dylan is there in a heartbeat as well as others that you have mentioned[although I would place Ron on the next level below]. Dylan is a magpie much like Gershwin. They both roam so far in their music.
Chris, I can't match your musical erudition and won't even try; and pop is an amorphous term for sure. People like Dylan or Leonard Cohen are writing 'popular music,' but to what passes for my mind, the term 'pop' tends to imply a rich degree of musicality (melodicism, arrangement, hooks) that hasn't been characteristic of those guys. Anyway, what matters is that the Gershwin Prize folks appear to have no rationale that could justify their omission of Dylan - a point on which we both agree.

It's a fun exercise, though. For instance, I agree with you that Sexsmith is 'second tier,' and on reflection I think it has to do with the fact that he is an extraordinarily accomplished craftsman but not an innovator. Dylan, Wonder, Wilson, McCartney, Simon, Waits, even EC - all have pushed the envelope of what you could do in popular song. Not sure Ron can claim this; neither can Nick Lowe, another favourite. So there's another consideration, perhaps.
Jack of All Parades

Totally agree! Ron is a prime example for me of that old distinction made by Isaiah Berlin- The Hedgehog and The Fox- Dylan is a Fox crafty over a wide range[though I am having my concerns with the plagiarism issues which have yet again surfaced] while Ron is that Hedgehog who is so skilled at one big thing[in this case his seeming ability to just tap into at anytime that vein of melody that so infuses his songs]. Back from dinner with my wife and daughter and we have been digesting this idea at the table as I have been[hopefully with some success] introducing my daughter to the joys of Mr. Sexsmith's music. As an aside, did you like the new Lowe record?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

well the Bacharach/David White House tribute actually...

I had forgotten about this, seems its already been and gone, a friend sent me a link to the show, no Elvis appearance, but Diana Krall performed as well as Lyle Lovett and Sheryl Crow, Mike Myers, Stevie Wonder among others

the show is available to download here
http://all-shares.com/sourceframe.php?u ... 3D&page=dl