In defense of Bruce Thomas.

Pretty self-explanatory
IStandAccused

Bruce

Post by IStandAccused »

*Like I said before- he wrote a book. ANYONE who writes a book or says anything about EC in that format is on his "shit list" for life!! No exceptions. I don't think it is right nor do I think it is fair but it is indeed childish. Even if every word that is said in these various books is true, some people MUST have the last word and spin things the way they want it to be spun. I think BT wrote the book because he was trying to get his side of the story out there. An angry Elvis, in interviews or liner notes, can be very spiteful and intense. And EC's fans will believe EC and not the other source. I will be curious to see what Bruce says in his next book he is writing. This is bound to be addressed and it will surely be interesting to say the least.
Who Shot Sam? wrote:My $.02 on Bruce:

Listening again to the re-issues, especially "Get Happy!!," you realize how much his bass lines contributed to making that album a success. For me, it represents the Attractions at the top of their game. Maybe not EC's greatest artistic achievement, but for the sound of the band alone, "Get Happy!!" cannot be beat. Every part is worth listening to and there's so much musicality in all of the playing and so many unexpected touches.

With Bruce, at least on the records up to "Imperial Bedroom," you never got the feeling that he was just keeping time. There's a lot of great playing from Bruce on "Punch the Clock" too. It's sad and unfortunate (and somewhat childish for all parties concerned) that Bruce and EC don't see eye to eye now - I feel that Bruce really added something to the sound of the band that EC hasn't recaptured since. Davey Faragher is a fine player, but I don't notice his bass parts the same way I did with Bruce's. Maybe EC wants it that way - who knows?
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
bobster

Post by bobster »

To be fair, EC has always said he didn't cut Bruce out because of the book, but because of professional issues. (I.e., he didn't have enough "concentration", whatever that means.) Of course, it's possible that he's not being entirely forthcoming, but they did tour and play together TWICE after the publication of "The Big Wheel."

My point of view on this, is you don't write a "tell all" style book about your coworkers and/or boss if you EVER expect to work with them again. Also, you don't call an ex-employee a pretentious idiot in song ("How to be Dumb") if you ever plan to rehire them. A saint would have a hard time working with someone who'd just done either of those things.

The fact that they were able to do it all says a lot about the profesionnalism and/or masochism of all of them, including Bruce. Still, life is short and with all the terrific musicians in the world, I can see why EC eventually decided there were other bass players, and some of them can sing and, also, Bruce "started it" -- I think it takes amazing chutzpah NOT to expect to be hated after doing something like that. There are few surer ways to turn friends into enemies.

That being said, I too, miss Bruce's amazing bass lines. Bass players have a way of getting lost in the mixed sometime (or at least in the heads of us non-musical types), but there was definitely something special about what BT contributed.

My personal favorite moment, the bass solo on the Hollywood High "Detectives."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

verbal gymnastics wrote: Does washing the dishes get you in a testosterone frenzy then cope? :lol:
Verbal almost anything works me up into a testosterone frenzy! I must admit that I was washing the dishes half naked and then taking turns mimicking windmill chops on air guitar and admiring myself in the mirror..! :lol: You can't beat the Punk Meets The Godfather.....that stuff pumps my 'nads.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

laughingcrow wrote: Cope...the Who rock my socks!!! I don't think anyone mentioned them in the Annex post about great british rock bands from the 60s though! Has anyone heard that crap cover of Behind blue eyes by Limp Bizkit. It blows!
I've sung the praises of the Who on this board many times...even named QUAD as the best album in history....it reminds me of my youth! Dr. Jimmy, the power the agression, the self obsession, rape and pillage, gutair chops and rolling bass and drums....the scream of Rog' and the introspection and slight awkwardness of Pete...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote: Does washing the dishes get you in a testosterone frenzy then cope? :lol:
Verbal almost anything works me up into a testosterone frenzy! I must admit that I was washing the dishes half naked and then taking turns mimicking windmill chops on air guitar and admiring myself in the mirror..! :lol: You can't beat the Punk Meets The Godfather.....that stuff pumps my 'nads.
Cope - WAY too much information :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ladies - form an orderly queue!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

WSS said:
For me, it represents the Attractions at the top of their game. Maybe not EC's greatest artistic achievement, but for the sound of the band alone, "Get Happy!!" cannot be beat.
I agree.

I don't think that the EC/Bruce split is 'childish', if anyone slagged me off in paperback I think I'd be a bit pissed off too, and the 'forgive and forget ' thing doesn't happen in real life, even when people say it has..it hasn't.
cbartal

Re: Bruce and "the book"

Post by cbartal »

IStandAccused wrote:The ONLY sin Bruce committed in EC's eyes is he wrote a book. That is really the bottom line. He wrote a book. Nothing more, nothing less.
I've heard that EC has a big problem with Tolstoy too.
Smallfaces1

i love bruce thomas

Post by Smallfaces1 »

I think the guy is just the greatest bassist. Full stop! great technique, style and sound. i don't think there is another like him.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Bruce kinda jams on Peter Case's album Six Pack of Love (I love the song Vanishing Act, when Bruce sounds like...well....Bruce)....by the way, Peter Case is fucking cool!! Check him out....PM me if you want to find out what his better albums are.