Elvis in Chicago (December 20, 2010)

Pretty self-explanatory
woz

Elvis in Chicago (December 20, 2010)

Post by woz »

Just saw this announcement:

Lin Brehmer & Mary Dixon just announced the 2010 XRT/Bud Light BIG Holiday Concert starring Elvis Costello performing an expansive never-to-be-duplicated, once-in-a-lifetime one man show at the beautiful Chicago Theatre on December 20 with special guest Alejandro Escovedo.

Tickets will go on sale to the public this Monday, November 22, at 10am at Ticketmaster outlets and the Chicago Theatre Box office, but you could buy them first.

XRT VIP Presale Information
Purchase your tickets before they go on sale to the public in our special 12-hour ticket presale for VIP’s only THIS FRIDAY from 10am-10pm.

http://wxrt.radio.com/2010/11/17/xrt-bi ... announced/
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis in Chicago (December 20, 2010)

Post by bronxapostle »

i hope NYC is getting one also!!! :) :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Aren't ALL Elvis one man shows expansive never-to-be-duplicated and once-in-a-lifetime?

And I hope London gets one too :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Aren't ALL Elvis one man shows expansive never-to-be-duplicated and once-in-a-lifetime?

And I hope London gets one too :lol:
my logic EXACTLY verbal. we should all get a Christmas present like THAT! in the old days, this would have been a GREAT road trip!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

is anyone here a VIP?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Just received this email.Sadly i'm about 3000 miles away but might be of use to someone on here

Hello Elvis Costello Fans,

Elvis has recently been booked for the 93XRT BIG Holiday Concert at The Chicago Theatre!

12/20/10 - Chicago Theatre (Chicago, IL)

Because of your loyalty, you will get the first opportunity to purchase presale tickets. The presale will begin tomorrow, 11/19/10 at 10am CST at the site below:

http://tixx1.artistarena.com/elviscostello

Username: elvis

Password: costello

We'll see you in the windy city!
verbal gymnastics

I got this email too and have been a but mischievous in another thread!
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

SOLD OUT in like a minute!! Ugh! I had tickets, but by the time i got past the 'type these two crazy lookin' words into a baox and hit enter' (which i had to attempt 3 times!) they said the tickets i had were no longer available. So shitty. My bro lives in chicago. i was gonna take him for xmas. maybe i'll have better luch when they go on sale through ticketbastards.

not to point any fingers, but isn't the point of a presale for the fans to keep the password to ourselves instead of posting it on every forum we frequent? oh well. i guess i'm just a little bummed.
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

It's not sold out. Tickets keep coming back. Just pulled 4th row left center! There's also the Ticketmaster presale. Password is National and Hcholiday.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

sweet! thanks for the heads up! got 'em! 10th row! woo hoo!!! my brother's gonna be psyched! happy holidays!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Promo -

http://wxrt.radio.com/2010/12/09/xrtbud ... -costello/

Tickets are nearly sold-out for our 2010 XRT/Bud Light BIG Holiday Concert starring Elvis Costello in an expansive never-to-be-duplicated, once-in-a-lifetime one man show at the beautiful Chicago Theatre on December 20 with special guest Alejandro Escovedo.
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

The Wit Hotel will host the official after party, and has a special hotel/concert package they're offering.
http://www.thewithotel.com/elvis/

ROOF on theWit
The Official After Party for the Elvis Costello Concert
Come up to ROOF 27 stories Above It All following the concert for the exclusive after party

Exclusive Room’s Package
JUST RELEASED! theWit Hotel announces Elvis Costello ROOMS PACKAGES which include our best avialable room rate, access to the official Elvis Costello After Party on ROOF and 2 Complimentary Tickets to the Elvis Costello Concert.

GET YOUR ELVIS COSTELLO PACKAGE TODAY WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

State and Lake – Exclusive Offer
Present your Elvis Costello ticket stub and receive a 1 entrée, 1 drink and 1 shared appetizer for $20 per person!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I should warn anyone thinking of going that artists almost never attend these kind of parties.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://wxrt.radio.com/2010/12/16/last-c ... see-elvis/

Last Chance to See Elvis

Staff Writer // Zack Nechvatal
12/16/2010

With Elvis Costello’s BIG Holiday Concert at The Chicago Theatre sold out, we’re giving XRT VIP’s their last chance to win tickets.

Listen to XRT today and tomorrow, during our Friday Feature devoted to music from spaning his illustrious career, and perhaps you’ll grab a pair of great seats for Monday’s show!
woz

Post by woz »

Elvis will be interviewed by WXRT out of Chicago today at 4:00 Central Time. http://wxrt.radio.com/2010/12/20/hear-e ... ay-at-4pm/

WXRT is a great radio station that streams via the web so feel free to listen in.

Cheers and a happy, healthy new year.
jardine

Post by jardine »

thanks for the link and the reminder!!

d.j.
jardine

Post by jardine »

not available in my area!
verbal gymnastics

Is Elvis still in our area ie did he make it out of the UK?
blureu

Post by blureu »

yes, he made it out. Just in time. Chatting on XRT right now.

Try this link:

http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPla ... station=54
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

from the wiki....

Setlist
01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Veronica
05. My Three Sons
06. Suit Of Lights
07. I Hope You're Happy Now
08. Everyday I Write The Book
09. Bedlam
10. St. Stephen's Day Murders
11. The Spell That You Cast
12. New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - including I'm A Loser
13. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
14. A Slow Drag With Josephine
15. Watching The Detectives
16. Radio Sweetheart / Jackie Wilson Said
17. God's Comic
18. I Hope
19. A Voice In The Dark
20. Winter Song
21. Beyond Belief
22. One Bell Ringing
23. So Like Candy / Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
24. Alison - including You've Been Cheatin', Little Wing and Over The Rainbow
25. Sulphur To Sugarcane
26. Bullets For The New-Born King
27. Man Out Of Time
28. National Ransom - including Workin' Man Blues
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Wow! That's some awesome setlist--and very Xmasy, too--he starts with "red" and "green" for the season, includes songs about his family, his own version of Christmas songs, and a whole crapload of incredible raritites. Jeez, lucky Chicagoans...tell us how it was. From these few Youtube clips, it sounds like he was in fine voice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCvCu6PjT_I (Detectives)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTumWYBYTFU (Happy Now/Write The Book)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSlI1KUeT04 (Misunderstood)
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Damn, that really was a nice setlist...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 3201.story

The many faces of Elvis Costello

The iconic rocker gave the audience a peek at his many personas

By Bob Gendron, Special to the Tribune
December 21, 2010

As host of the Sundance Channel's "Spectacle," Elvis Costello gets fellow artists to open up about their creative process, and often perform stripped-down versions of beloved songs. The British singer/guitarist followed his television show's cue Monday during a wide-ranging solo concert at the Chicago Theatre, giving a sold-out crowd a rare glimpse into the intricate workings and bare essentials of his own material.

Never short on ideas, Costello has adopted nearly every imaginable musical guise throughout his 33-year career. Many of these flirtations surfaced during a 140-minute, 29-song set dependent on little more than voice, guitar and periodic loops. Keeping banter to a minimum, Costello embraced myriad roles — clowning minstrel, sincere balladeer, backwater bluesman, street busker, blue-eyed crooner, boxcar-hopping folkie, Dixie-whistling vaudevillian. No matter the style, his timbre seemed immune to age. Occasionally Costello walked away from the microphone, his voice still ably projecting, and capable of emphasizing dramatic impact.

Theatrics also informed the tunesmith's stage presence, albeit in annoying fashion. Clamoring for applause, Costello ended multiple songs with outstretched arms and bemused expressions. During encores, the showman acted as if he was preparing to exit, basking in adulation before picking up another instrument. But Costello deserved the ovations. Primarily playing acoustic guitar and using effects pedals sparingly, he exposed a sophisticated architecture of bridges, hooks and melodies rooted in country, jazz and pop. Straightforward renditions of favorites such as "Veronica" and "Beyond Belief" satisfied. But a succession of deep cuts, minor rearrangements and savvy segues mesmerized.

Costello turned "I Hope You're Happy Now" into a severe ballad, exchanging sneering anger for mellow contempt and reacting to romantic loss with an indignant shrug rather than a shaking fist. Graced with falsetto flights, "Either Side of the Same Town" came on as a lost Muscle Shoals soul track, laden with anguish and regret. Two holiday-themed numbers, "St. Stephen's Day Murders" and interpretation of Alan Hull's "Winter Song," oozed Costello's trademark black humor and piercing cynicism.

The storytelling mirrored his astute narrative foresight. Costello advanced lyrical dialogues by introducing snippets of songs by the likes of the Beatles or The Impressions at pivotal moments, the transitions revealing urgent meanings in a conversation that, for this literate virtuoso, is always changing.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That is the type of set list and performance that will get me back in a seat. More and more I am convinced that my favorite way to see him perform is solo. He can build a well modulated set list and hold an audience's attention with just a guitar and his voice and his words with the best when he wants to on a regular basis. This and the recent opening for Dylan convince me of that. In a running conversation with friends I regularly propose that he solely concentrate his future efforts touring to just solo shows and that he look to the radio waves with his own program that would engage his considerable and eclectic interests as he enters the later stage of his career now that the current musical model is definitely broken. I nominate him to replace Marian McPartland, when and if she gives up her microphone.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'