New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Divine Comedy solo show was fab, Very happy that he played Frog Princess, and also Tonight We Fly. Endlessly entertaining as a performer, with lots of participation (singling, clapping, and on Songs of Love, which is the Father Ted theme with words, getting us to whistle the melody!). One of the highlights was when it got to the Blue Monday ref in At The Indie Disco he started playing the bass drum intro on the mic, and then played the bass and keyboard parts on the piano. Perhaps the highlight of all, though, was when support act, the rather good Cathy Davey, came out and played guitar and duetted with him on the Steinway on I Only Have Eyes For You. What a song that is.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

sulky lad wrote:Sheeptotheslaughter wrote
Going to see Squeeze at Chinnerys in Southend on Saturday night
Lovely Southend on a blustery November night
hope the performance is uplifting and heartwarming ! :)
Actually the weather wasnt too bad and I sat outside for a while as the pub was packed beforehand. And had a few pints sitting outside after the gig. I was probabaly immune to the weather by then. As I started to leave the rain started.

Squeeze came on around 9.30 and played for around 90/100 minutes think they finished around 11.10. I went in early and got right to the front of the stage sadly only for a support act to come on. A young girl Georgia Strand with an acoustic guitar. Gee she seems to have had a lot of heartache for one so young. She played about 20 minutes.
Sadly by the time Squeeze came on I only lasted 4 songs before the call of nature made me vacate my spot. The venue was packed as you would imagine and It was a struggle to even get to the back of the venue let alone the front.

I think Squeeze played most of the hits, I cant remember one they didnt do, (they may not have done Slap and Tickle.) They started with a funky version of Black Coffee In Bed. They finished with Cool For Cats.
Goodbye Girl, Labelled with Love and Up The Junction certainly got the crowd singing.
The venue is small and probably holds around 250 people and their wasnt much room to get anymore in Saturday night.

At the end of the night I tried to find a pub to watch the boxing only to be told I had already missed it so I went back into the venue to get a drink while I called a cab. There I found Mr Nieve looking for someone. I told him I loved him and his work and suprisingly he stopped for a brief chat. He was looking for his sister but I don't believe he found her.

Squeeze were excellant and the band isn't any poorer for Mr Nieve and Simon Hanson in the band. Im sure one of the songs finished with a little Elvis ending.Anyway anyone going to see them will not be disappointed.
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Much to my lasting regret I never caught The Smiths live (though I have seen Moz & Marr live on separate occasions) so, more out of amused interest than anything else,I caught a Smiths tribute band last weekend.

"The Smiths Indeed" are currently touring in celebration of the 25th anniversary of "Meat is Murder" and I have to say I thought they were faultless. In a 1200 seat venue only about 100 people turned up which led to a slightly subdued first half set - in which the band played the entire "Meat is Murder" album. At the interval, however, a handful of the audience decided to get up & dance and by the time the second set started well over half the audience were up & dancing. And what a second set it was - all the (many) hits & more. The band themselves are faultless. Very talented guitarist. "Moz" was very funny and acted the part to perfection. I'm not a fan of tribute acts per se but would thoroughly recommend this lot.
http://www.thesmithsindeed.co.uk/
sheeptotheslaughter

terryhurley wrote:.
Much to my lasting regret I never caught The Smiths live (though I have seen Moz & Marr live on separate occasions) so, more out of amused interest than anything else,I caught a Smiths tribute band last weekend.

"The Smiths Indeed" are currently touring in celebration of the 25th anniversary of "Meat is Murder" and I have to say I thought they were faultless. In a 1200 seat venue only about 100 people turned up which led to a slightly subdued first half set - in which the band played the entire "Meat is Murder" album. At the interval, however, a handful of the audience decided to get up & dance and by the time the second set started well over half the audience were up & dancing. And what a second set it was - all the (many) hits & more. The band themselves are faultless. Very talented guitarist. "Moz" was very funny and acted the part to perfection. I'm not a fan of tribute acts per se but would thoroughly recommend this lot.
http://www.thesmithsindeed.co.uk/

Thanks for the heads up on this band they sound great.
I was lucky enough to see The Smiths 3 times, County Hall London, The National Kilburn (which I believe is the gig the live album Rank is from) and the Brixton Academy around the Meat Is Murder album. They were great live.

What I did notice at the National show at the time was that the audience had changed I think the band split just after, but I believe they were just about to become the next U2 or Simple Minds. The crowd had changed from the quiffed up Morrissey lookalikes like myself to just your average Joe. Your average Saturday afternoon football fan hugging his and mate and singing Vicar In A Tutu was a sight to see. Now wheather that would have been a good thing for them to have become Stadium Rockers I don't know.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Got free tickets to last night's show at the Royal Albert Hall featuring the mighty Coral, with the added bonus of Ian McCulloch doing the support. IM is a lot gruffer in voice than thirty years ago, he played an acoustic set with string quartet finishing with Nothing lasts forever and the wonderful POison Moon of course. The Coral were excellent, not much chat, just song after song all very tight and breathless. Nice.
signed with love and vicious kisses
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Took Mrs.Sulky for a belated birthday present to De Montfort Hall, Leicester last night for her second gig of the year watching UB40. Confirmed my opinion of them in 1984 (or1983) when I saw them at The Cornwall Coliseum, St. Austell - dreadful. An audience who screamed when the title of a song was announced and then proceeded to chat all the way through until the end and then cheer as though they'd been enamored throughout, every song outstayed it's welcome by at least 3 minutes and worst of all - they played their entire first albumin the first half and we counted about 60 people leaving past us as they commenced the instrumentals - before doing a "greatest hits" second half. The problem here was that "Signing Off" isn't "My Aim Is True" or any other memorable debuts for that matter. On a purely personal level, to quote John Peel a waste of talent and electricity - though as far as I'm concerned even the first point is a dubious one !
Otis Westinghouse

I saw UB40 in Madrid twice in the late 80s. First time was, I think, free, or cheap, open air on same bill as James Brown and Pogues, and they were arguably the highlight. I enjoyed them so much I went to see a show of theirs next time they were in town. I was never a fan, but live they were hugely entertaining, tight, lively, and just got everyone moving nicely. Perhaps they've gone downhill a bit since.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Otis, do not know if you saw the revue in today's NY Times but a pretty glowing piece on Surfan Stevens's Monday night show in NY at the Beacon. Thought of you as I read the piece- he appears to be quite a performer and seems to be going more these days back to old 'glam rock' fashion references, at least.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I was at the Sufjan show, having been introduced to him a couple of years ago by Sam and Otis. I can vouch for the review, it was a first rate show.
Having seen Gorillaz (close up) at MSG and Al Green (also close up) at BB King's I'm a happy chappie these days. Next on the list is Gil Scott Heron at BB King's. Listen to Gil's "New York Is Killing Me" and you'll see what he's up to of late.

I've uploaded some photos of the Sufjan show. They're not great, but they give an idea of the craziness

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumb ... =snapfish/
Where's North from 'ere?
sheeptotheslaughter

sulky lad wrote:Took Mrs.Sulky for a belated birthday present to De Montfort Hall, Leicester last night for her second gig of the year watching UB40. Confirmed my opinion of them in 1984 (or1983) when I saw them at The Cornwall Coliseum, St. Austell - dreadful. An audience who screamed when the title of a song was announced and then proceeded to chat all the way through until the end and then cheer as though they'd been enamored throughout, every song outstayed it's welcome by at least 3 minutes and worst of all - they played their entire first albumin the first half and we counted about 60 people leaving past us as they commenced the instrumentals - before doing a "greatest hits" second half. The problem here was that "Signing Off" isn't "My Aim Is True" or any other memorable debuts for that matter. On a purely personal level, to quote John Peel a waste of talent and electricity - though as far as I'm concerned even the first point is a dubious one !
To be fair to UB40 they did announce beforehand that this was a tour where they would be playing Signing Off in it's entiriety. It was on all the ads for the tour.

I'm not their biggest fan in fact in think Signing Off is the only album of their's I have bought other than greatest hits. I used to really like that record. I have only seen about 10 minutes of them live when they played with Elvis/Madness/Rockpile/Selector/possibly Squeeze at Birmingham in 1980ish. We had to leave to get the train home to London. Most people I know who see them live really seem to like them, doesnt help that Ali Campbell has left. It's like Elvis Costello and The Attractions gigging without Elvis Costello.

Never heard the Peel quote before that's a cracker.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

To be fair, I did know they were playing the first album completely but I was stunned by the people who came and stayed for "Food For thought" and "King" but then struck up their conversations during the lesser known tracks - as though they were surprised by the choice of material. Add to that, there were some people calling for "Red Red Wine" after 3 tracks and I was just feeling like I was at a gig where people only wanted to hear "the hits" but maybe that's why so many people go to see bands like "Take That" - ouch! :roll:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I saw the Canadian comedian Stewart Francis tonight who was superb. He's one of those great one liner comedians where you laugh for his entire set but can't remember many of his lines.

(naturally I have remembered them all and will place some of them on this board, acknowledge the laughs and credit them as my own. As I have done with all of the other material I have stolen :lol: )
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sheeptotheslaughter

sulky lad wrote:To be fair, I did know they were playing the first album completely but I was stunned by the people who came and stayed for "Food For thought" and "King" but then struck up their conversations during the lesser known tracks - as though they were surprised by the choice of material. Add to that, there were some people calling for "Red Red Wine" after 3 tracks and I was just feeling like I was at a gig where people only wanted to hear "the hits" but maybe that's why so many people go to see bands like "Take That" - ouch! :roll:
I can't see the attraction in going to see a band play a whole album from the back catalogue. Does sound like the crowd were a pain though.

I would imagine most people going to see someone like Take That are not waiting to hear an obscure album track like us Elvis fans. I know part of the attraction of seeing Elvis for me is when he does something unexpected.
Although I can't claim the moral high ground here. I managed to wangle a ticket to see the Stones at the Shepherd's Bush Empire a few years back and was devasted after the first song which was one of the classics, to hear Mick say tonight we are only going to play album tracks and songs we rarely play live. (Not being their biggest fan)
sheeptotheslaughter

verbal gymnastics wrote:I saw the Canadian comedian Stewart Francis tonight who was superb. He's one of those great one liner comedians where you laugh for his entire set but can't remember many of his lines.

(naturally I have remembered them all and will place some of them on this board, acknowledge the laughs and credit them as my own. As I have done with all of the other material I have stolen :lol: )
Unlike the British Stewart Francis whose only joke was 'I could crush a grape'. Who was a s funny as getting cancer. I've seen the Canadian Mr Francis on tv and he is funny
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Funnily enough Stewart Francis does reference the other Stu Francis.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Laura Marling tonight!
Otis Westinghouse

Should be good. Down your way or London? Missed her at Cambridge Corn Exchange but heard good things. She seems incredibly composed and mature for her tender years.
sheeptotheslaughter

One of the joy's of teenage daughters is their 'great' musical taste.

I have to collect my daughter from seeing JEDWARD tonight, hard to decribe them if you have never seen them before. She wants to try and meet them afterwards.

Next week it might be Justin Bieber's book siging in London.

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Should be good. Down your way or London? Missed her at Cambridge Corn Exchange but heard good things. She seems incredibly composed and mature for her tender years.
It was at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth, a small all standing venue (400-450), and one of her former haunts (apparently) as she is a Hampshire girl. Didn't come on until nearly 10 o'clock and played for just over an hour. What she did was very good. Started with band (keyboard, drums, double bass, guitar/banjo, cello with a few interchangeables), did a solo session in the middle of 4 or five songs and finished with the band again. Didn't play Goodbye England which seemed a bit strange and disappointing for me. Played 6 or 7 from the 2nd album, 3 new ones (well 4 really cos there was a 'medley' of two songs), the Neil Young cover that she has released I think, and 4 or so from the first album. Highlights for me were Rambling Man, Ghosts and one of the new ones.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds good, though no Goodbye England would have got to me too. Similar to Lloyd Cole not playing the wonderful Oh Genevieve at his recent record. You want to ask them 'How could you not want to play that every night when you've played these other ones instead?'
Otis Westinghouse

Two excellent gigs two weeks running: Squeeze, sell out at the Cambridge Corn Exchange, with The Professor Steve Nieve on keyboards, as threaded elsewhere. Never seen them before. All the hits, plus a few more obscure ones, for which I had the pleasure of the company of the board's (sometime, increasingly no time) resident Squeezologist, Jackson Monk, who like me, was accompanied by his charming and delightful spouse.

Then this week tootled down the A14 with my eldest to see the magnificent Arcade Fire at the LG Arena, as we appear to need to call the NEC these days. We saw them down at the Ally Pally 3 years back for Neon Bible, and how exciting now to see them with another superb CD to pick from. I counted up 6 from Funeral (all the anthems), 4 from Neon Bible (the best ones, inc. a superb My Body Is a Cage) and 7 from The Suburbs. My only complaint was it wasn't quite long enough and they didn't play all my fave songs off the latter, but there are so many good ones, that would be hard. Ones I'm not so excited about when playing the CD, Rococo and Month of May, come into their own live, huge and powerful. I wanted a bit more of the low key beauties (Half Light 1, Modern Man), but we did get a magnificent We Used to Wait, with video backdrop showing refs to letters to and from Alvino Rey, who I had read about only days before. Win Butler's grandfather, notable swing era musician and credited with inventing the pedal steel guitar. Funny thing is his name made me think 'yes, there's a certain almondy hispanicness to WIn's eyes', but the above link indicates his real name was Alvin McBurney, so bollocks to that theory.

Anyway, suffice it to say that Arcade Fire are one of the best live bands I've seen and they're getting better. They put it across with a fabulous intensity, delivering their often dark and sad music with exuberance. The crowd went mad. I didn't mind the LG Arena, in fact I've found that with Bowie and Elbow at Wembley, and this one here, the feeling of a band/performer you adore sending a huge crowd mental with their wonderful music is a fantastically uplifting communal experience, bit like the Cathedral must have been back in the day. Win says he's in it for the long haul, and I don't doubt there will be more brilliant CDs and tours to follow, so there's something to look forward to.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Jody and I haven't seen a live band in YEARS. :(
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Otis Westinghouse

... but does she wear a hat although it hasn't rained for six days? [Lloyd Cole ref]

I hardly went near a gig between 1993 (parenthood) and 1995 or something, and even then it was like one year. Now it's one a month or so, with teens babysitting. Unfortunately I missed some great ones, e.g. Lloyd Cole, Jeff Buckley at a smallish local venue, Ron Sexsmith at a really small local venue that early Oasis also played in... I did manage to see several EC ones, though.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Otis, I still have 2 Lloyd Cole CD's from your recommendation years ago, including the one with the Jody lyric. :D
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain