EC plays live on the Simon Mayo Radio show Weds 27 October

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

EC plays live on the Simon Mayo Radio show Weds 27 October

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis will perform live on the Simon Mayo radio show on BBC Radio 2, between 17.05 and 19.00 BST on Wednesday 27 October.

Elvis will be performing his cover of a great British-penned hit as part of the Great British Songbook Library and (presumably) also play at least one song from National Ransom.

Details on the BBC website here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/progin ... /wed.shtml

Nominations are open now for which great British penned hit he will cover. The bookies are giving short odds on anything by the Beatles, but there is also support for a few Nick Lowe songs including PLU.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Re: EC plays live on the Simon Mayo Radio show Weds 27 Octob

Post by verbal gymnastics »

With Elvis being in the UK for a few days I wonder if we'll be the lucky recipients of the disused bank show...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sooper8

Post by sooper8 »

It is with great regret that my first post is a little negative...but..I find Simon Mayo to be such a bloody irritating twat.
I hope he is ill that day
Regards
Jem
PS-I could see him doing a Kinks song or maybe an early Fleetwood Mac?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I've notice Elton John is playing the Electric Prom in London on 28th Oct... if Elvis is still in town, what d'you reckon the likelihood of a guest appearance is?
verbal gymnastics

I reckon he'll be there as a spectator rather than a guest.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

LOL Sooper8 - yep, Mayo's a bit of a twat, I have to agree! Annoyingly ironic presenter, without actual wit. He'll probably make jokes at Elvis's expense, which is what most British presenters seem to feel (tiresomely) that they have to do these days, post-Jonathan Ross. Nobody matters, I agree, nobody's more important than anyone else, it's true - but let's be fair, Elvis Costello's shittiest B-side is more interesting that Simon Mayo's entire career. Am sick of the presenter pisstaking culture - to be interested doesn't mean you're an arselicker: it's okay to be nice to your guests! Ahem - sorry! - (pissed).
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Not sure where all this anti-Mayo vitriol is coming from, but as a loyal fan of Wittertainment and his late, lamented FiveLive interview show, I feel obliged to stick up for the man, particularly with the bizzare accusation that he's 'annoyingly ironic' - I've always admired his low-key tastefulness. Likening him in any way to Jonathon Ross also strikes me as odd - I can't think of two presenters more disparate in style. Mayo's tack with his guests in unfailingly respectful and always makes sure the focus stays on the interviewee rather than the interviewer - the exact opposite of the Ross approach. I would highly doubt he'll be 'making jokes at Elvis's expense'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Apologies - I haven't listened to his show for at least twenty years, so I'm probably talking through my arse! (Logged on after going to the pub last night, hence my rambling, drunken diatribe). Mayo might be cool these days - I just had some vague memory of an ironic, piss-taking interview years ago, then was dreading that it might be the Jonathan Ross style of "You think you're 'it', don't you? Well I'm going to make you look like an idiot". Here's hoping the Elvis interview is good!
John

Post by John »

So Elvis is on the way over here to appear on at least Simon Mayo, Janice Long and Later with Jools Holland. Probably the only way he'll get heard as the Radio 2 airplay seems to have ended before it began.

Looks like he had better bring his boots
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11579988
verbal gymnastics

Neil. - so you were out drinking on Saturday AND last night. Anything you need to tell us? :lol:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

LOL, Verbal - alas, I am rather partial to a bevvy - but I did give it a break on Sunday night, honest!

And, BTW John, I just heard 'I Lost You' on Radcliffe and Maconie, so they're still playing it. And you are naughty, with the boots/Thatcher comment. He did say he'd sing it when she kicks the bucket, but I can't believe he would!
John

Post by John »

Neil. wrote:And, BTW John, I just heard 'I Lost You' on Radcliffe and Maconie, so they're still playing it.
That's good to hear. I Hope You're Happy Now, Veronica and now I Lost You have all had a spin on Radio 2 today.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Crikey, which show played 'Happy Now'?
sooper8

Post by sooper8 »

When I say 'he is a bit of a twat', it isn't with any particular vitriol, I just find his 'ironic' , 'know it all' approach not to my taste.
I doubt he will get through the interview without some cringe worthy question or two....but we shall see..
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I Lost You is still on the C playlist at Radio 2. I don't mind Simon Mayo to be honest for what it's worth. Anyone planning to listen to the show who doesn't know the format the guest is normally on between 6 and 6.30.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Neil. wrote:I've notice Elton John is playing the Electric Prom in London on 28th Oct... if Elvis is still in town, what d'you reckon the likelihood of a guest appearance is?
Elvis is playing a press launch for National Ransom at Ronnie Scott's Club in Frith Street, London on Thursday lunchtime, so he could still be in town that evening.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote: Anyone planning to listen to the show who doesn't know the format the guest is normally on between 6 and 6.30.
And EC will almost certainly be included in the 'More Mayo' podcast available through the BBC after the show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tune in all!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vgb1n

27/10/2010

Next on:

Today, 17:05 on BBC Radio 2

Synopsis

Elvis Costello plays live on Drive performing a cover of a great British-penned hit as part of the Great British Songbook Library.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Neil. wrote: the Jonathan Ross style of "You think you're 'it', don't you? Well I'm going to make you look like an idiot".
A contrary view on Mr Ross. The case for the defence:

Thought he was always good value on the radio. No time for the cosy chats with comedy chums ( David Walliams / Ricky Gervais et al) but on music he was spot on. A fan who always -to these cloth ears at least- sounded genuinely interested in musicians.

His ego did run away with him on TV, but he did have The Attractions as a house band in his early days on the box ( The Last Resort with Jonathan Ross ?)when Elvis pulled the plugs on Steve and the boys. This alone would put him in the Good Thing column for me.

Colin Top Balcony
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Top balcony wrote:
Neil. wrote: the Jonathan Ross style of "You think you're 'it', don't you? Well I'm going to make you look like an idiot".
A contrary view on Mr Ross. The case for the defence:

Thought he was always good value on the radio. No time for the cosy chats with comedy chums ( David Walliams / Ricky Gervais et al) but on music he was spot on. A fan who always -to these cloth ears at least- sounded genuinely interested in musicians.

His ego did run away with him on TV, but he did have The Attractions as a house band in his early days on the box ( The Last Resort with Jonathan Ross ?)when Elvis pulled the plugs on Steve and the boys. This alone would put him in the Good Thing column for me.

Colin Top Balcony

Wossy is a big Elvis fan played a lot of Elvis on his saturday show. One weekend his producer siad to him you cant just play The Clash and Elvis Costello every week, (I don't see why not)

Anyway just to confirm Elvis is on Simon Mayo after 6 tonight.
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle wrote:Tune in all!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vgb1n

27/10/2010

Next on:

Today, 17:05 on BBC Radio 2

Synopsis

Elvis Costello plays live on Drive performing a cover of a great British-penned hit as part of the Great British Songbook Library.
Link works fine here!! Listening in right now. Thanks!
waterloosunset94

Post by waterloosunset94 »

Elvis playing Nick Lowe's I'm a Mess
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

...yes, lovely EC doing NR with string busting, then IAM ...

I'm a mess - mp3

https://www.yousendit.com/download/ZGJk ... NUkwTVE9PQ
Last edited by charliestumpy on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' solo take on National Ransom was excellent! I have it on ye olde cassette at the moment. Martin is gone to a Black Keys gig ; if it hasn't popped up in a digital format by tomorrow I'm sure he'll oblige with a transfer. Ditto I'm A Mess.