Elvis at McCartney White House Tribute, June 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
deerfried

Re: Elvis to Perform at McCartney White House Tribute

Post by deerfried »

Wow, in that picture Stevie Wonder is starting to bear a strange resemblance to Oscar Peterson.
johnfoyle wrote:http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebritie ... rtney/1/3/

Last year's recipient, Stevie Wonder, shares a moment with Elvis Costello at the ceremony
Photo: © Getty Images
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Haven't seen this list elsewhere -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-b ... 04668.html

(extract)
Here's the set list, with the artists who performed McCartney's songs.

McCartney: "Got to Get You Into My Life"
Stevie Wonder: "We Can Work It Out"
Jonas Brothers: "Drive My Car"
Lang Lang: "Celebration" (This selection, played by the famed Chinese pianist, was a headscratcher for many. It turned out to be one of McCartney's classical compositions.)
Emmylou Harris: "For No One"
Jack White: "Mother Nature's Son"
Corinne Bailey Rae/Herbie Hancock: "Blackbird"
Faith Hill: "The Long and Winding Road"
Elvis Costello: "Penny Lane"
Dave Grohl: "Band on the Run"
McCartney/Wonder: "Ebony and Ivory"
McCartney: "Michelle"
McCartney: "Eleanor Rigby"
McCartney: "Let It Be"
McCartney/All: "Hey Jude"
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:Haven't seen this list elsewhere -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-b ... 04668.html

(extract)
Here's the set list, with the artists who performed McCartney's songs.

McCartney: "Got to Get You Into My Life"
Stevie Wonder: "We Can Work It Out"
Jonas Brothers: "Drive My Car"
Lang Lang: "Celebration" (This selection, played by the famed Chinese pianist, was a headscratcher for many. It turned out to be one of McCartney's classical compositions.)
Emmylou Harris: "For No One"
Jack White: "Mother Nature's Son"
Corinne Bailey Rae/Herbie Hancock: "Blackbird"
Faith Hill: "The Long and Winding Road"
Elvis Costello: "Penny Lane" **
Dave Grohl: "Band on the Run"
McCartney/Wonder: "Ebony and Ivory"
McCartney: "Michelle"
McCartney: "Eleanor Rigby"
McCartney: "Let It Be"
McCartney/All: "Hey Jude"
**complete with piccolo trumpet solo by military guy in full regalia.

This is a must for the DVR.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/reliab ... rtney.html

PBS leaves Paul McCartney's George W. Bush jab on the cutting room floor

By The Reliable Source

July 14, 2010; 1:03 AM ET

WETA had to get a 90-minute special out of Paul McCartney's 60-minute concert at the White House last month, but that doesn't mean the whole thing is in there. Tactfully excised from the TV version, airing July 28 on PBS: Sir Paul's jab at George W. Bush.

The comment (which burned up the Internet for a couple days) came at the end of the June 2 East Room ceremony where the Beatle received the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song from President Obama. After a "Hey Jude" singalong (and a very long ovation, also trimmed for TV), McCartney grabbed the mike one more time, our colleague Chris Richards reported, to say: "After the last eight years, it's good to have a president that knows what a library is."

But you won't hear it on TV. Instead, the cameras cut to McCartney singing "Yesterday" at the previous night's concert at the Library.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Wow - hey, American cousins - please say one of you has recorded it, and will put Elvis's Penny Lane on YouTube. I'm begging you!

Nx
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It isn't on 'til July 28 ; maybe , Neil , you read 'July' as 'June'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Agh, no, I'd read the date of the article, not the airing time! What a 'narna!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Neil. wrote:Wow - hey, American cousins - please say one of you has recorded it, and will put Elvis's Penny Lane on YouTube. I'm begging you!

Nx
Whatever the date is ... this resident of Penny Lane

( well to be brutally honest the district of that name rather than the actual road itself)

agrees with Neil ...

Colin Top Balcony
docinwestchester

Top balcony wrote:
Neil. wrote:Wow - hey, American cousins - please say one of you has recorded it, and will put Elvis's Penny Lane on YouTube. I'm begging you!

Nx
Whatever the date is ... this resident of Penny Lane

( well to be brutally honest the district of that name rather than the actual road itself)

agrees with Neil ...

Colin Top Balcony
I'll put the whole show on Dime.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

docinwestchester wrote:
I'll put the whole show on Dime.
Thanks mate

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

docinwestchester

I've got the DVR set for Wednesday night....And then to Dime it goes. I'll make Penny Lane a separate download on Mediafire.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Watch for Elvis with the Jonas Bros. @ about 2.20 into this

http://the44diaries.wordpress.com/2010/ ... ite-house/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Stills from vid ; Elvis is as bad as me with his 'phone camera !

docinwestchester

Great show. Elvis was fantastic. Jack White too.

Available on Dime:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=315006
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Enjoyed EC's falsetto as he assayed the higher register of the chorus although overall thought the performance merely adequate-highlights for me were Corinne Bailey Rae's and Herbie Hancock's delicate rendition of "Blackbird", Emmylou's sensitive version of "For No One" and Dave Grohl's energetic "Band on the Run". Jack White clearly looked uncomfortable anytime he was on stage, particularly during the group sing along at the end- he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. Nice to see 'rock n roll' finally make a regular appearance in the White House-now I know the old guard has changed in power.

Surprise for me was McCartney after the end of the regular program - filmed performing from the night before at the Library of Congress and evocatively doing "Yesterday" accompanied by a string quartet playing vintage Stradivarius instruments- if I closed my eyes I might have thought it was 1965 and I was re watching the Ed Sullivan program yet again for the first time.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
docinwestchester

pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Enjoyed EC's falsetto as he assayed the higher register of the chorus although overall thought the performance merely adequate-highlights for me were Corinne Bailey Rae's and Herbie Hancock's delicate rendition of "Blackbird", Emmylou's sensitive version of "For No One" and Dave Grohl's energetic "Band on the Run". Jack White clearly looked uncomfortable anytime he was on stage, particularly during the group sing along at the end- he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. Nice to see 'rock n roll' finally make a regular appearance in the White House-now I know the old guard has changed in power.

Surprise for me was McCartney after the end of the regular program - filmed performing from the night before at the Library of Congress and evocatively doing "Yesterday" accompanied by a string quartet playing vintage Stradivarius instruments- if I closed my eyes I might have thought it was 1965 and I was re watching the Ed Sullivan program yet again for the first time.
Will respectfully disagree on a number of points. "Penny Lane" is a very difficult song to cover- Elvis did a great job. Emmylou, as much as I respect her, was dull. Jack White was just being Jack White, and added some much needed edge. Agree on Grohl, he was great. He's probably the best rock fan in the world.
docinwestchester

pophead2k wrote: Will respectfully disagree on a number of points. "Penny Lane" is a very difficult song to cover- Elvis did a great job. Emmylou, as much as I respect her, was dull. Jack White was just being Jack White, and added some much needed edge. Agree on Grohl, he was great. He's probably the best rock fan in the world.
EC looks truly happy and relaxed throughout the song. And he's smiling a lot, which is not his usual M.O. I loved the story he told beforehand. The line about "the cat" got as big a laugh as anything Seinfeld had to say. And he seems particularly thrilled with the Master Sgt's trumpet work.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks Doc!

Elvis brings a suitably whimsical touch to the song, so appropriate considering it's central theme of memories of childhood. After a second watch I found myself thinking of Val Doonican, a Irish born light entertainment singer who was popular on U.K./Irish tv in the 1960s/70's.....maybe I'm going a little bit mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8J8kb_6 ... re=related
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Aw. great - thanks for posting that. Nice version, lovely heartfelt vibe between Macca and our Elvis - this is my own fantasy, but I have to say that Paul probably recognises a genius close to his own. Elvis's vibrato maybe not right for this, but it's still a sweet version of a lovely, open-hearted song.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Thanks so much for putting it on Youtube, Doc! I'm embarrassed to say I had no luck with Dime--my first stab at a video torrent--couldn't figure out how to convert the files into something that would play. :?

I thought Elvis sounded great--and extra badass points for wearing a wild flowered shirt to the White House! He and Dave Grohl were the standouts of the night, IMO.

Whenever Elvis participates in one of these multi-artist tribute things (Willie Nelson, Harry Smith, Tony Bennett, etc), he comes off a bit better than mostly everyone else. He seems to approach the other artist's work with a very clear sense of appropriateness for both the song and the occasion. He didn't go out there and try to reinvent the wheel with some awful Punk Rock Penny Lane. He played it pretty straight, but as Mr. Foyle mentioned, added a "suitably whimsical touch". And yet, it was no mere pastiche--he was still quite Elvis-y. I'd say "suitable" is exactly the right word. And classy.

Some of the other performances last night...tedious. Tiresome.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
pophead2k wrote: Will respectfully disagree on a number of points. "Penny Lane" is a very difficult song to cover- Elvis did a great job. Emmylou, as much as I respect her, was dull. Jack White was just being Jack White, and added some much needed edge. Agree on Grohl, he was great. He's probably the best rock fan in the world.
EC looks truly happy and relaxed throughout the song. And he's smiling a lot, which is not his usual M.O. I loved the story he told beforehand. The line about "the cat" got as big a laugh as anything Seinfeld had to say. And he seems particularly thrilled with the Master Sgt's trumpet work.

agreed doc...espec. about the trumpteer's work. he nailed it!
docinwestchester

Ypsilanti wrote:Thanks so much for putting it on Youtube, Doc! I'm embarrassed to say I had no luck with Dime--my first stab at a video torrent--couldn't figure out how to convert the files into something that would play. :?
If you downloaded correctly, you should have gotten a VIDEO_TS folder with the three key VOB files: VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2 and VTS_01_3. The rest of the files involve the DVD menu and aren't really important for viewing. Use whatever media player you have on your computer (eg, Windows Media Player on most PC's) to open these VOB files and you'll be watching the concert.

If this doesn't work, PM me.

Ypsilanti wrote: I thought Elvis sounded great--and extra badass points for wearing a wild flowered shirt to the White House!

He didn't go out there and try to reinvent the wheel with some awful Punk Rock Penny Lane. He played it pretty straight, but as Mr. Foyle mentioned, added a "suitably whimsical touch". And yet, it was no mere pastiche--he was still quite Elvis-y. I'd say "suitable" is exactly the right word. And classy.
All good points.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta muchly for 'Penny Lane' link.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.