Elvis plays Cascais, Portugal, July 28 '10

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays Cascais, Portugal, July 28 '10

Post by johnfoyle »

snapyou

Re: Elvis plays Cascais, Portugal, July 28 '10

Post by snapyou »

That's my birthday,anyone want to give me a present ? Flights and hotel would be nice.

The Cooljazzfest site : http://www.cooljazzfest.com/

Diana K's playing a few days before EC.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

This is now billed as "with The Sugarcanes"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going ?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.destak.pt/artigo/71187

Cool Jazz Fest
Elvis, o contador de histórias

Mr. Cool, Elvis Costello, esteve ontem à noite no Cool Jazz Fest, em Cascais, num registo mais alegre do que o último concerto em Portugal e ainda assim intimista quanto baste, que contou com duas partes distintas.

Folk, Rhythm and Blues, Rock e outras variantes puras da música inspiraram Elvis Costello a contar belas e doces histórias na sua grave, confiante e inconfundível voz num concerto em Cascais no ambiente perfeito.

Noite quente de Verão, um público participante quando assim tinha de ser, um cenário natural belíssimo com bonitas e antigas árvores iluminadas, um céu estrelado, como devia sempre ser e uma Lua a iluminar levamente o Parque Marechal Carmona, para um concerto a condizer.

Elvis começou há hora marcada, para 40 minutos que mais não foram do que uma preparação para um primeiro encore que veio um concerto que não estava a cativar até ali tudo aquilo que podia.

Segundo concerto após encore

Falador, simpático, com vontade de nos contar as suas histórias pelas canções e pelas palavras antes delas, Mr. Elvis Costello falou no concerto só com músicas tristes e calmas que deu anteriormente em Portugal, Elvis homenageou o período da música dos anos 1920 e 1930, que tanto gosta.

Com Slow Drag with Josephine deu um tom vaudeville ao concerto e explicou: "Isto é como o rock and roll soava em 1921". Blame it on Cain foi outro dos bons momentos, tal como New Amsterdam, a versão dos Beatles You've Got to Hide Your Love Away e I Want You, deram vibração a uma noite que foi melhorando em crescendo.

Acompanhado pela banda ao seu estilo com vários instrumentos, The Sugarcanes, nunca deixando o seu chapéu que é já imagem de marca e com várias referências a Portugal e Cascais, Elvis chamou o público para vir das cadeiras até mais junto do palco, criou um ambiente mais intimista e deu o seu melhor - e o seu melhor é de uma qualidade rara e com o que de mais puro a música tem.

Entre músicas novas e mais antigas, nunca faltou coerência e referências a épocas, como Jimmie Standing in the Rain, sobre 1937. Houve ainda tempo para algum rock que agitou o público, um segundo encore e a música-referência do cantor, She.

"No último concerto em Portugal cantei músicas tão tristes que às vezes parecia que o público dizia 'shhh, shhh'". Este foi o mote para a música She, que pôs uns a filmar e outros, acompanhados, a balançar o corpo no momento mais romântico da noite, num concerto de Verão que teve duas horas de boa música.

Google translation:

Elvis, the storyteller

Mr. Cool, Elvis Costello, was last night at the Cool Jazz Fest, in Cascais, a record more cheerful than the last concert in Portugal and yet intimate as needed, which had two distinct parts.

Folk, Rhythm and Blues, Rock and other variants of pure music inspired Elvis Costello to tell beautiful stories and sweet in his grave, confident and distinctive voice in a concert in Cascais in perfect environment.

Warm summer night, an audience participant when so had to be, a beautiful natural setting with beautiful old trees and bright, starry sky, and as it should always be a moon to illuminate levamente Parque Marechal Carmona, for a show to match.

Elvis began appointment for 40 minutes were not more than a preparation for a first encore that came a concert that was not there to capture everything I could.

Second concert after encore

Talkative, friendly, eager to tell their stories in the songs and the words before them, Mr. Elvis Costello spoke at the concert alone with sad music and calm which was previously in Portugal, Elvis paid tribute to the music of the period 1920 to 1930 , who both enjoy.

With Slow Drag with Josephine gave a vaudeville tone to the concert and explained: "This is like rock and roll sounding in 1921." Blame it on Cain was another good time as New Amsterdam, the version of The Beatles You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and I Want You, gave vibration to a night that was better at growing.

Accompanied by the band to your style with various tools, The Sugarcane, never leaving his hat that is already brand image and with several references to Portugal, Cascais, Elvis drew the audience to come up most of the seats near the stage, created an environment more intimate and gave his best - and his best is a rare quality and with what pure music has.

Among the new songs and older, never lacked coherence and references to seasons, as Jimmie Standing in the Rain, about 1937. There was still time for some rock that shook the public, a second encore and the music of singer-reference, She.

"At the last concert in Portugal sang songs so sad that it sometimes seemed that the public said 'shhh, shhh'." This was the motto for the song She, who put some filming and others, accompanied the body to swing at the most romantic night in a summer concert which took two hours of great music.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm going to miss these translated reviews when he goes back to doing American shows. Perhaps we can just run the US reviews through Babel Fish Spanish and back again for the same effect.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:I'm going to miss these translated reviews when he goes back to doing American shows. Perhaps we can just run the US reviews through Babel Fish Spanish and back again for the same effect.
Absolutely! The wacky surrealism of these translations has been a pleasure to read!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/noticia.aspx? ... 0000000185

Cascais rendeu-se a Elvis Costello

Com um ‘olá’ bem português, Elvis Costello atirou-se a ‘Mystery Train’, cover do tema celebrizado por outro Elvis, o Presley, em 1955, mal subiu ao palco do Parque Marechal Carmona, em Cascais, esta quarta-feira à noite.

O público, onde se notavam muitas caras conhecidas - como Teixeira dos Santos, ministro das Finanças, Augustus e João Pedro Pais -, rendeu-se aos encantos do músico de chapéu branco e ajudou a refrões de êxitos como ‘Red Shoes' ou ‘She'.

Entre badaladas e temas mais country (sonoridade mais patente no último álbum, ‘Secret, Profane and Sugarcane), Costello não deixou de elogiar o parque e o público. "A minha mulher [Diana Krall] já me avisara."
Comunicativo, Costello aproveitou também a boa receptividade da plateia para ir ‘mandando' umas piadas, mostrando conhecer a sua audência. "A última vez que toquei em Portugal foi em Lisboa, não sei se algum de vocês estava lá", perguntou, perante a anuência de alguns dos presentes. "E sempre ouvi dizer que gostam de músicas tristes", brincou, antes de arrancar com ‘Red Shoes'.
Mas não só de grandes sucessos se fez o espectáculo de duas horas. Temas do último álbum como ‘Down Among the Wines and Spirits', ‘Complicated Shadows' e ‘Sulphur to Sugarcane' comprovaram, uma vez mais, o domínio de Costello (e da sua banda, os Sugarcanes), dono e senhor dos vários estilos e sonoridades.

"Este é o último concerto da nossa tournée e estou muito contente por termos escolhido este local", elogiou ainda Elvis, de seu nome de baptismo Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus.

Google translation:

Cascais surrendered to Elvis Costello

With a 'hello' and Portuguese, Elvis Costello threw herself a 'Mystery Train', cover of the song made famous by another Elvis, Presley, in 1955, hardly took the stage of the Park Marechal Carmona, Cascais, this Wednesday night.

The audience, where he noticed many familiar faces - such as Teixeira dos Santos, Minister of Finance, Augustus John and John -, surrendered to the charms of the musician in the white hat and helped choruses of hits like 'Red Shoes' or' She '.

Among the issues most hyped and country (sounding more apparent on the last album, 'Secret and Profane Sugarcane), Costello did not fail to compliment the park and the public. "My wife [Diana Krall] already warned me."
Talkative, Costello also took the good reception from the audience to go 'telling' jokes, showing know their audience sees. "The last time it was played in Portugal in Lisbon, do not know if any of you were there," he asked, before the consent of certain of those present. "And I've heard that like sad songs," he joked, before starting with 'Red Shoes'.
But not only big hits became the spectacle of two hours. Themes like the last album 'Down Among the Wines and Spirits', 'Complicated Shadows' and 'Sulphur TO Sugarcane' proved, once again, the area of Costello (and his band, the sugarcane), owner and master of many styles and sounds.

"This is the last concert of our tour and I'm very glad we chose this place," also praised Elvis, his baptismal name Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Two audience sound recordings have surfaced:

http://www.juzp.net/bt724xEPRFq2O Everyday I Write The Book / band and crew intros /Don't Lie To Me
http://www.juzp.net/lKTAU_rbNd9hh She / Sulphur To Sugarcane

Another chance to hear the "Bloomington" patter should you need one.

MOOT