Elvis and Sugarcanes - Copenhagen, Denmark 5th of July

Pretty self-explanatory
VonOfterdingen

Elvis and Sugarcanes - Copenhagen, Denmark 5th of July

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Elvis Costello and Sugarcanes in Koncertsalen, Tivoli the 5th of July. Diana Krall plays the same venue the following day :D

http://gaffa.dk/nyhed/37407
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
krm

Re: Elvis and Sugarcanes - Copenhagen, Denmark 5th of July

Post by krm »

VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Me too! But not many tickets sold so far...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I get back from Africa on July 3 ; only for that I'd love to go back to Copenhagen, if only to try and scrub the memory of the 'full production' of the Secret Songs I endured there a few years ago. If no Irish date pops up I'll have to travel a little later in the month to see this show.

I wonder will they be part of this ?

http://www.cambridgefolkfestival.co.uk/
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

That would be great, John. No doubt it will be much better than The Secrets Songs act they did without EC. In fact, it cannot get worse than that. Fortunately it left my mind a long time ago.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle wrote:Anyone here going?
this one sure is heading fpor copenhagen today!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Im there
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Well, that was dissapointing. Not that EC didnt give it his best shot, but he was clearly not well excusing a sore throat that made a mark on the concert as a whole. ("We only arrive to cities by boat" and "my voice is arriving with another boat", he said). As always he was very much there, talkative and really trying to give the audience a nice evening but this was my seventh and surely most unsatisfying EC-concert.

Five years ago I saw him in Hamburg with a sore throat that got better doing the concert and he ended up delivering a blistering last half. This time it went from not good to worse and the singing was so strained that he had to sing deeper on more occasions and when he didnt you were feeling uneasy and feared his voice would snap.

It all ended up with a shorter concert (and the ticketprices were steep. 90 euros, though you can blame the venue and not EC for that). People can either be impressed by EC not cancelling the show and go through with it, or be surprised that he didnt cancel. I think I belong to the former but you cant blame people for feeling the latter.

He is the set-list as I recall.

Mystery Train
Blame It On Cain (not working perfectly in this version IMO)
Down Among The Wines And Spirits
New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Good Year For The Roses
Complicated Shadows
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
The Delivery Man (second biggest applaus of the evening)
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Friend Of The Devil (truly the highlight of the show and the biggest applaus)
Every Day I Write The Book (nice country version)
Don't Lie To Me
Alison/The Wind Cries Mary
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding)

Even with a perfect voice I would still have missed the drums and the piano/organ that is such a big part of his music.
krm

Post by krm »

VonOfterdingen wrote:Well, that was dissapointing. Not that EC didnt give it his best shot, but he was clearly not well excusing a sore throat that made a mark on the concert as a whole. ("We only arrive to cities by boat" and "my voice is arriving with another boat", he said). As always he was very much there, talkative and really trying to give the audience a nice evening but this was my seventh and surely most unsatisfying EC-concert.

Five years ago I saw him in Hamburg with a sore throat that got better doing the concert and he ended up delivering a blistering last half. This time it went from not good to worse and the singing was so strained that he had to sing deeper on more occasions and when he didnt you were feeling uneasy and feared his voice would snap.

It all ended up with a shorter concert (and the ticketprices were steep. 90 euros, though you can blame the venue and not EC for that). People can either be impressed by EC not cancelling the show and go through with it, or be surprised that he didnt cancel. I think I belong to the former but you cant blame people for feeling the latter.

He is the set-list as I recall.

Mystery Train
Blame It On Cain (not working perfectly in this version IMO)
Down Among The Wines And Spirits
New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Good Year For The Roses
Complicated Shadows
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
The Delivery Man (second biggest applaus of the evening)
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Friend Of The Devil (truly the highlight of the show and the biggest applaus)
Every Day I Write The Book (nice country version)
Don't Lie To Me
Alison/The Wind Cries Mary
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding)

Even with a perfect voice I would still have missed the drums and the piano/organ that is such a big part of his music.

Switch alison and shipbuilding and the Tracklist is correct! Not much to add here. I think the sugarcanes add quite a lot to his songs, and I could almost stand listening to Alison tonight :-) - Too bad about the voice , too bad indeed. The Sulphur to Sugarcane was close to really really bad, with his voice giving up. Nevertheless I am definately a sugarcanes fan now. They are great. Jim Lauderdale sure adds dimensions to the songs with his harmony vocal.
I do not need to say I had a great day, or? But then again, by taking a day off from work and just strolling around in Copenhagen in this summerweather nothing can go wrong. I am happy!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bt.dk/musik/skuffende-haes-elvis

Elvis Costello mødte op i Tivolis koncertsal med halsbetændelse, og det ødelagde koncerten. (Foto: Jacob Dinesen)

Costello i Tivoli med halsbetændelse
Skuffende hæs Elvis
(2/6)

MATHIAS NIELSEN (BT-MNI) - Mandag den 5. juli 2010, 23:35
Elvis Costello havde halsbetændelse, men valgte alligevel at gennemføre mandagens koncert i Tivolis koncertsal på trods af, at han nærmest ikke kunne synge.

Da engelske Elvis Costello albumdebuterede tilbage i 1977, markerede han sig hurtigt som en af de bedst sælgende musikere inden for den britiske pubrock-scene. Kort efter blev han new wave-ikon, gav sine sange et strejf af reggae, og så var han pludselig med til at lede ska’ens revival.

Men siden den kunstneriske storhedstid dér for 30 år siden, har Costellos karriere kørt på slingrende skinner, mens han dog alligevel er rejst selvtillidsfuldt rundt i genrerne og musikkens historie.
Annonce

Læs også: Ingen Superman

I det nye årtusinde har den nu 55-årige Buddy Holly-lookalike primært bevæget sig inden for den poppede countrys rammer med backingbandet The Imposters og senest på sidste års kedelige soloplade ’Secret, Profane & Sugarcane’.

Kort sagt har Costello efterhånden afdækket så mange forskellige musikalske territorier, at er lidt svært at blive klog på, hvad det egentlig er, han vil opnå med sin brogede karriere.

Læs også: Malplaceret orkesterkoncert

Måske er det slet og ret at spille poppede melodier i så mange genreafskygninger som muligt? Som sådan en fin mission. Fraset den mangesidede karriere, så undrede man sig – efter 90 minutter i Costellos selskab – en del mere over, at han overhovedet var mødt op i Tivolis koncertsal.

Han havde nemlig reddet sig en halsbetændelse på færgen fra England til Danmark og havde mildt sagt problemer med at synge sine egne sange.

Undskyldende autopilot

Den hæse herre havde et seks mand stort bluegrass-band bag sig, så man bemærkede ikke knaset med stemmen i den åbnende rock ’n’ roll-klassiker ’Mystery Train’, men det blev hurtigt tydeligt, at vokalen ikke holdt til de høje toner, og det blev kun værre som koncerten skred frem.

Selvom han ikke var sen til at undskylde publikum for sin manglende stemmepragt, så virkede det som om, halsondet reducerede Costellos rolle som indpisker, og så blev det hurtigt et problem, at sekstetten bag ham nærmest undskyldende spillede på autopilot.

Sine steder følte man med den stakkels Elvis, der så tydeligt kæmpede med stemmen, men han gjorde det heller ikke nemmere for sig selv ved at inkludere en god håndfuld obskure numre i sættet – heriblandt de to helt nye sange ’Jimmie Standing in the Rain’ og ’A Slow Drag Josephine’, som begge faldt til jorden.

Burde have aflyst

Sigende nok var de mest formildende stunder fortolkningerne af gammelkendte sager.

Først Beatles’ ’You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away’, som fint var flettet ind i ’New Amsterdam’, siden George Jones’ formidable ’Good Year for the Roses’ og så Grateful Deads ’Friend of the Devil’. Hér var melodierne så gode, at de overskyggede hovedpersonens skæmmende stemme.

Men det var altså en lettelse snarere end en forløsning, da de sidste toner af ’(What's So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?’ ringede ud mod slut.

Det var bestemt ikke den store post-Roskilde-oplevelse, man havde gået og håbet på.

Og så vil nogle måske indvende, at det er tarveligt at slå så hårdt ned på den gode Elvis, når nu han havde halvbetændelse, men sangere med ægte respekt for deres publikum aflyser eller udsætter altså en koncert, når stemmen ikke duer.

Det kunne Costello også have gjort.

Google translation -

Costello in Tivoli with sore throat
Disappointing hoarse Elvis
(2 / 6)

Mathias NIELSEN (BT-MNI) - Monday, 5 July 2010 23:35
Elvis Costello had a sore throat, but still chose to implement Monday's concert at Tivoli's concert hall, despite the fact that he almost could not sing.

Since English Elvis Costello album debuted back in 1977, marked himself quickly as one of the best selling musicians in the UK pubrock scene. Shortly after he became New Wave icon, gave her songs a touch of reggae, and then suddenly he was helping to lead ska'ens revival.

But since the artistic heyday there 30 years ago, Costello career run on rails wobbling while he nevertheless raised confidently around the genres and music history.

In the new millennium, the now 55-year-old Buddy Holly-lookalike mainly moved within the pop country environment with backing band The Imposters and most recently at last year's dull solo album 'Secret, Profane & Sugarcane'.

In short, Costello eventually unearthed so many different musical territories that are a little hard to figure out what it really is, he wants to achieve with his colorful career.

Perhaps it is merely playing pop tunes in so many genreafskygninger as possible? As such a delicate mission. Aside from the multifaceted career, so wondered Mon themselves - after 90 minutes in Costello company - a lot more than that he had even turned up at Tivoli's concert hall.

He had saved himself a sore throat on the ferry from England to Denmark and had a mildly difficult to sing his own songs.

Apologetic autopilot

The hoarse gentleman had a six man great bluegrass band behind him, so you did not notice crunch with your voice in the opening rock 'n' roll classic 'Mystery Train', but it quickly became clear that the vowel is not held to the high notes and it was only worse as the concert progressed.

Although he was not late to apologize audience for its lack of voice glory, so it seemed as if Costello halsondet reduced role as a whip, and so it soon became a problem that sextets back him almost apologetically played on autopilot.

Places one felt by the poor Elvis, who so clearly struggled with his voice, but he did not help themselves by including a good handful of obscure numbers in the set - including the two brand new songs 'Jimmie Standing in the Rain' and 'A Slow Drag Josephine', both fell to the ground.

Should have canceled

Reportedly was probably the most extenuating moments interpretations of familiar cases.

First Beatles '' You've Got to Hide Your Love Away ', which was finely woven into the' New Amsterdam ', George Jones' formidable 'Good Year for the Roses' and then the Grateful Dead's 'Friend of the Devil'. Here melodies were so good that they overshadowed the protagonist's ugly voice.

But it was therefore a relief rather than a redemption, when the last notes of '(What's So Funny' bout) Peace, Love and Understanding? "Rang out on the end.

It was certainly not the large post-Roskilde experience you had gone and hoped for.

And then some might argue that it is poorly beating so hard down on the good Elvis, when now he had half inflammation, but singers with genuine respect for their audience cancels or postpones a concert so when the voice does not work.

It could also Costello have done.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I wonder why he didn't let Jim Lauderdale take lead vocals on a few songs to give his voice a bit of a rest.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

krm - im glad you had a nice day in Copenhagen :)

Migdd - I thought the same but Jim Lauderdale did seem almost shy when singing during Friend of the Devil
ulfg

Post by ulfg »

I have put a couple of photos on
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 726c73760f

I hope you can see them!
krm

Post by krm »

ulfg wrote:I have put a couple of photos on
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 726c73760f

I hope you can see them!

Tack Ulf
/kjell
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Great photos :)
krm

Post by krm »

This one was on display at the venue!
Attachments
cph1.jpg
cph1.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 22012 times
ulfg

Post by ulfg »

I have placed some more photos from this concert as a set on my Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ulfgotthar ... 67/detail/

/ulf
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Jerry Douglas has posted his tour diary from the Sugarcanes' tour last year on his website here: http://www.jerrydouglas.com/journalDeta ... journal=71

This is what he has to say about Copenhagen.
"Copenhagen is an amazing city surrounded by water. In every direction ventured, a bridge will eventually be crossed. We are in the old section of downtown very close to St. Peter's Cathedral; another thing we're surrounded by - cathedrals. We are also very close to the shopping madness of Stroget (st). You want it? It is on Stroget, many charming squares full of open-air cafes with strolling guitarists and tourists, Italian food, all kinds of food. The little sausage trailers are a big hit with me. My Ohio Polish/Italian/Ukrainian palate came back to life here; a little while here and I really could be a linebacker.
We played the beautiful Tivoli Gardens this evening, and, with Elvis’s throat being on the mend, are getting pretty good at this. I notice the band functioning more independently; we are moving around to a greater extent musically, now that we know the tunes so well. Dennis [Crouch] is a master at changing the mood by simply holding onto the root chord and letting us crawl around under it. Very suspenseful. What a blast, continually learning how to turn songs inside out and give them new life.

July 6 This is my day to just walk around and be a Copenhagen tourist before going to hear Diana Krall and band in the Tivoli. I took a leisure day comprised of walking, people watching, and then some napping. Woke up in time to go downstairs, have a coffee and a cigar on the patio, and then ride over with Elvis to see the show. Diana is a wonderful entertainer who sings with about eight voice/personalities and plays the piano like a demon, much in the school of her mentor, Oscar Peterson. With Bob Hurst (who studied with the same professor at Indiana University as Edgar Meyer) on bass, Anthony Wilson on guitar, and Karriem Riggins going crazy on the drums, I really enjoyed the show.

Later when Diana told me she was flying by the seat of her pants and suffering with a cold the same as Elvis, I wanted to tell her how inspiring it was to see someone play so well and be seemingly natural and at ease. It all seemed so effortless on her part. Oh well, I need to remember when I think I am having a bad night, it may, in fact, be an inspirational one in someone else's eyes. I will go back to school on that one."
MOOT
Man out of Time

Review at gaffa.dk

Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes
Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen Jazzfestival,
mandag d. 5. juli 2010
Anmeldt af Ivan Rod

Hans seneste album - Secrets, Profane & Sugarcane - markerede et øjebliks interesse for bluegrass og country. Sangene blev indspillet med et hold af musikere med rødder i traditionen, så der var masser af banjo og violin på albummet, der – netop - tog traditionen alvorligt. Som altid fik den musikalske troldmand alligevel gjort det hele musikalske univers til noget umiskendeligt Elvis Costellosk. Blandt andet i kraft af den karakteristisk upolerede, britiske vokal og de karakteristisk korte, straight-forward numre.

Stilen fra Secrets, Profane & Sugarcane lagde grunden til hans koncert på Copenhagen Jazzfestival. Hvorfor en gammel punkrocker som Elvis Costello og et bluegrassband som hans medbragte så var på Jazzfestivalens program er uklart, men Elvis Costello syntes ikke specielt interesseret i selv at afdække sammenhængen, og dét gjorde hans publikum heller ikke. Flertallet var helt åbenlyst uinteresseret i skelen til genrer og alene interesseret i at høre musikeren, uanset genre. Flertallet var tydeligvis bekendt med hans bagkatalog, og selvsamme flertal godtog hans bluegrassede versioneringer af bagkataloget. Jazzpolitiet var altså enten ikke til stede eller holdt meget lav profil.

Et eller andet sted var det da også totalt lige gyldigt, om der var en sammenhæng mellem Jazzfestivalen og Elvis Costellos bluegrass, for manden leverede: Tog energisk og med største selvfølgelighed, lethed og uhøjtidelig livtag med sit righoldige bagkatalog og skabte med sin kunstneriske nerve og bramfrie facon en fed kontakt til publikum. Og så gik alt op i en højere enhed. På Elvis Costellosk vis. Han fik ganske enkelt punk, rock, blues, country og jazz til at smelte sammen til ét.

Med sig på scenen havde han The Sugarcanes – seks musikere på henholdsvis violin, slideguitar, mandolin, kontrabas, guitar og harmonika. (Bemærk: Ingen på klaver og ingen på trommer). Og så gik det ellers derud ad i åbningsnummeret, Mystery Train, som Costello og Sugarcanes havde lånt fra Elvis Presley. Og fluks videre i hans eget Blame It On Chain (fra 1977-albummet My Aim Is True). Konstellationen leverede indenfor den første halve time excellente bluegrass-versioneringer af numre som New Amsterdam, A Good Year For The Roses og (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes. Alle sammen uden mindste tøven. Og enten serveret uden intro eller med en underspillet form for humor, som også forbandt musikeren med sit publikum.

At Elvis Costello gik på scenen med en lettere forkølelses på stemmebåndet, bremsede ham ikke. Han bjæffede bare lidt mellem numrene, fik løbende leveret en ny kop kaffe eller te (?) og fortsatte uanfægtet. I et forrygende samspil med sekstetten.

Med ekstranumre som Alison og Peace, Love And Understanding var en rigtig fed Elvis Costello-aften realiseret, og publikum kunne fyldt op af energi og hurtigt omsættelige sukkerrør trække sig tilbage med et hav af fede sange i eget svælg.

Translation via google translate

Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes
Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen Jazz Festival,
Monday 5th July 2010
Reviewed by Ivan Rod

His latest album - Secrets, Profane & Sugarcane - marked a moment of interest in bluegrass and country. The songs were recorded with a team of musicians with roots in tradition, so there was plenty of banjo and fiddle on the album, which - precisely - took tradition seriously. As always got the musical wizard still made ​​the whole musical universe into something unmistakably Elvis Costello. Among other things, by virtue of the characteristic unpolished, British vocals and the characteristic short, straight-forward numbers.

The style of Secrets, Profane & Sugarcane laid the foundation for his concert at the Copenhagen Jazz Festival. Why an old punk rocker Elvis Costello and a bluegrass band that he brought so were on the Jazz festival program is unclear, but Elvis Costello did not seem particularly interested in self-identifying relationship, and what did his audience does not. The majority were obviously uninterested in strabismus genres and only interested in hearing the musician, regardless of genre. The majority were obviously familiar with his back catalog, and even the same majority accepted his blue grass stopped ringing version of backlist. Jazz Police were then either not present or kept a very low profile.

Somewhere it was also totally matter whether there was a correlation between Jazz Festival and Elvis Costello bluegrass, the man delivered: Train energetically and with the greatest of ease, lightness and unpretentious wrestles with his rich back catalog and created his artistic nerve and outspoken shape a great connection with the audience. And then everything went up in a higher unity. On Elvis Costello way. He was simply punk, rock, blues, country and jazz to come together as one.

On stage, he had The Sugarcanes - six musicians on the violin, slide guitar, mandolin, bass, guitar and accordion. (Note: No piano, no drums). And so it went otherwise further along in the opening track, Mystery Train , which Costello and the Sugarcanes had borrowed from Elvis Presley. And flux on in his own Blame It On Cain (from 1977-album My Aim Is True ). The constellation delivered within the first half hour excellent bluegrass version rings of numbers as New Amsterdam, A Good Year For The Roses and (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes. All together without the slightest hesitation. And either served without intro or with an understated sense of humor, which is also connected musician with his audience.

Elvis Costello went on stage with a slight cold on the vocal cords, did not hold him. He barked just a little between songs were regularly delivered another cup of coffee or tea (?) And continued unfazed. In a terrific interaction with the sextet.

With encores as Alison and Peace, Love And Understanding was a really cool Elvis Costello-evening realized, and the audience could be filled with energy and fast-moving cane retire with a lot of great songs in his own throat.

http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/41160

Gallery of photos by Rasmus BS Hansen here: http://gaffa.dk/galleries/gallery/3516

MOOT
Man out of Time

Another review in Danish here at Berlingske:

"Koncert::
Tandløs Elvis

Af Thomas Søie Hansen
6. juli 2010, 23:30

Elvis Costello var ikke Elvis Costello, og han havde ydermere smidt nøglen til sin musikalske skattekiste væk, da han gæstede København.

*** (out of 6)

Da en ung, frådende Elvis Costello stemplede ind på rockens kontor for første gang i 1977, var det nok de færreste, der havde forventet at se ham stå iført stråhat, et bredt smil og spille halvlunkne country-folksange 33 år senere på en scene i Tivoli. Men det var ikke desto mindre, hvad den nu 55-årige brite gjorde mandag aften.

I selskab med seks modne kammesjukker fra cognac og cigarklubben the Sugarcanes stod han dér og hyggede sig voldsomt med instrumenter som harmonika, guitar, violin, gulvbas, mandolin, dobro- og pedalsteelguitar. Han har spillet den slags musik i snart ti år, lige som han har været forbi jazz, klassisk, pop, lounge og meget, meget mere på sin svingende musikalske vej. Men det er stadig i rocken, især i rocksangen, at han har sin primære styrke. Ingen synger som han, ingen har hans abrupte diktion, brutale fraseringer og skarpe bid. Det fik publikum i Tivolis koncertsal desværre kun få prøver på, idet Costello var kommet til København med en stemme, han selv undskyldte for flere gange i løbet af de 90 spilleminutter. Faktisk var det kun i sættets to sidste numre, den smukke »Shipbuilding« og den rockede »(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?«, at Elvis Costello lød som sig selv. Ellers var han bare hæs og uden sædvanens karakter og power.

Selv om Elvis drønede ind på scenen med syvmileskridt og nærmest kastede guitaren omkring sin venstre skulder og gik i gang med »Mystery Train« hurtigere end Usain Bolt har for vane at rejse sig fra startblokken på de internationale 100 meter baner, førte energien ikke til meget andet end fornøjelige klapsalver med lidt for andægtig slagside. Først en lille halv time inde i koncerten under »Good Year For The Roses«, fremmanede han et strejf af noget, man kunne mærke under huden nede på stolerække 13. Den fine ballade blev sendt af sted med en længsel og ynde, der umiddelbart efter fik følgeskab af aftenens mest rockede nummer, »Complicated«. Her spillede Costello næsten sig selv med ukueligt, fandenivolsk punkattitude. Han sang og spillede ligefrem, som om han havde noget på spil. Og han fortsatte i samme dur med »The Delivery Man«: In a certain light he looked like Elvis/In a certain way he feels like Jesus/Everyone dreams of him just as they can/But he’s only a humble Delivery Man«. Så var vi ved at være der, tænkte man, hvorefter Elvis Costello smed det hele på gulvet og vendte tilbage til de bløde slag i bolledejen. Vist var den senere »A Slow Drag Josephine« ikke ueffen, men har man oplevet den herre på såvel plade som til koncert, ja, så var en pauver omgang. Men charmerende, stedvist ligefrem vittig, det var han. Det var bare ikke nok til at gøre denne post-Roskilde Festival-aften til noget særligt."

or in "English" via Google Translate

"Concert: toothless Elvis

By Thomas Søie Hansen

Elvis Costello was not Elvis Costello, and he had further thrown the key to his musical treasure away when he visited Copenhagen

As a young, raging Elvis Costello stamped onto the rock's office for the first time in 1977 , it was probably very few who had expected to see him standing wearing a straw hat , a broad smile and playing lukewarm country - folk songs 33 years later on a stage in Tivoli . But it was nevertheless what the now 55- year-old Briton did on Monday night.

In the company of six mature cronies from cognac and cigar club the Sugarcanes they stood there and enjoyed themselves tremendously with instruments like the accordion , guitar , violin, upright bass , mandolin , dobro and pedal steel guitar. He has played this kind of music for about ten years , just as he has been by jazz, classical , pop , lounge and much more on its swinging musical path. But it is still in rock , especially rock songs that he has his main strength. No one sings like him, no one has heard his abrupt , brutal phrasings and sharp bite. The audience in the Tivoli Concert Hall unfortunately only got a few samples , because Costello had come to Copenhagen with one voice , he apologized several times during the 90 minutes performance . Actually, it was only in the set last two numbers , the beautiful ' Shipbuilding ' and the rocking ' (What's So Funny 'Bout ) Peace, Love and Understanding ? ' That Elvis Costello sounded like himself. Otherwise, he was just hoarse and outside of habit character and power .

Although Elvis sped onto the scene with great strides and almost threw the guitar around his left shoulder and started with ' Mystery Train ' faster than Usain Bolt in the habit of getting up from the start block on the international 100 meter sprint, led energy is not very other than enjoyable applause with little devotional bias . First half an hour into the concert under ' Good Year For The Roses ' , he conjured up a touch of something you could feel under the skin down row 13 The fine ballad was sent away with a longing and grace that immediately after was joined by the evening's most rocking number ' Complicated '. Here Costello played almost himself with indomitable , fandenivolsk punk attitude. He sang and played exactly as if he had something at stake. And he continued in the same vein with " The Delivery Man " : In a certain light he looked like Elvis / In a certain way he feels like Jesus / Everyone dreams of him just as they can / But he's only a humble Delivery Man '. So we were about to be there , I thought you and then Elvis Costello threw it all on the floor and returned to the soft slap in the dumpling dough. Displayed was the recent 'A Slow Drag with Josephine ' not ueffen , but has seen the gentleman on the well plate as a concert , yes, was a pauver place. But charming place shown even witty, he was. It just was not enough to make this post- Roskilde Festival evening into something special."

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

ha ha! the worst EC show I have been to. His voice was in such a bad shape that night!