Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Glasgow (UK), July 2, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Glasgow (UK), July 2, 2010

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
GCM

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Glasgow (UK), July 2, 2010

Post by GCM »

Tickets now on sale...
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Wouldn't it have been nice for these to have had pre sale first on EC"s website ?
GCM

Post by GCM »

There's a good preview piece by Keith Bruce on the Glasgow Herald website...

Glasgow Herald
GCM

Post by GCM »

There's a great interview in The Evening Times
PaulTMA

Post by PaulTMA »

Mystery Train
Blame It On Cain
Down Among The Wines And Spirits
New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Good Year For The Roses
Condemned Man
Complicated Shadows
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
The Delivery Man
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Little Palaces
Friend Of The Devil
Every Day I Write The Book
Don't Lie To Me
Happy
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Wow! What an awesome set list! Elvis must have been a fine mood for this show! It's got to be the best concert of the year so far. Did everyone freak out when he started in on "Psycho"?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
PaulTMA

Post by PaulTMA »

Ypsilanti wrote:Wow! What an awesome set list! Elvis must have been a fine mood for this show! It's got to be the best concert of the year so far. Did everyone freak out when he started in on "Psycho"?
Indeed... there were a couple of requests for 'Veronica' and 'Alison' early on, which prompted Elvis to announce there'd be a song featuring a girl's name along in a minute (in this case, 'A Slow Drag With Josephine'), which prompted a cry of 'Psycho' much to the amusement of the audience.... Elvis: "Don't you start..." It looked like 'Psycho' hadn't been rehearsed and they were playing it on the sly, with Elvis singing some of the second verse lyrics in the third. He also slipped up on 'I Want You' by singing, "I woke up and one of us was dying, CRYING" and then covered his arse by reversing the same mistake on the next line. Oh get you, Dec.

It was an excellent long evening, shame my recording has the applause and audience handclaps louder than the actual performance due to the acoustics of the venue and the volume of the band.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wow. The Sugarcanes doing Oliver's Army! What was THAT like?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm more interested in how 'I Want You' sounded!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yeah, that one, too. I'd have loved to hear the Sugarcanes' take on these two songs.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Is there a particular reason why 4 of the 14 known performances of "Psycho" were in Glasgow? Was it a hit in Scotland? Is there one guy who goes to every show in Glasgow and shouts for it?
GCM

Post by GCM »

Basically, there's always a shout for Psycho in Glasgow; I think it's a tradition now and the band played it really well.
The versions of "I Want You" and "Oliver's Army" were on fairly traditional acoustic terms and were great to hear.

I thought the acoustics not too great and Elvis's voice was a bit submerged in the mix, even from the third row.
Only disappointment was the fact that while the stalls were maybe 85% occupied, the circle was not opened for this show. I hope this doesn't deter Elvis from a return with the Imposters or Steve next time out.
Last edited by GCM on Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

The rarities continue, Poison Moon recently, now Psycho. At this rate the lucky sods at the end of the tour in Portugal will be getting "Imagination (is a powerful deceiver)" and the full run through of the Gwendolyn letters.
PaulTMA wrote:
It was an excellent long evening, shame my recording has the applause and audience handclaps louder than the actual performance due to the acoustics of the venue and the volume of the band.

poor sound accepted - will this recording get a public airing? I freely admit I'm hooked on Sugarcane!

Colin Top Balcony
krm

Post by krm »

Top balcony wrote:The rarities continue, Poison Moon recently, now Psycho. At this rate the lucky sods at the end of the tour in Portugal will be getting "Imagination (is a powerful deceiver)" and the full run through of the Gwendolyn letters.
PaulTMA wrote:

poor sound accepted - will this recording get a public airing? I freely admit I'm hooked on Sugarcane!

Colin Top Balcony

I agree w Colin, "poor sound accepted"
kjell
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Yes, please, then the whole tour will be covered -(except Oxford where my flash recorder stopped after 6 songs and I lost Poison Moon darn it) I've got Gateshead and Dublin recorded, just back from Dublin now and will upload these 2 over the next few days onto dime.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

fantastic with many ff's
PaulTMA

Post by PaulTMA »

The louder sections are the handclaps, usually applause and rhythmic for 'Happy' at the the end.

If anyone has any suggestions for making this recording more balanced (compression?) then I'd like to hear them. I have Audacity, Logic Express 8 and Garageband at my disposal.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

People always video the same damn songs! I want to see Spell That You Cast or Blame It On Cain, not 900 versions of Alison!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yeah, would really love to see either of those two plus Psycho, Oliver's Army and I Want You. There must be a Youtube clip of Alison available from just about every show he's played in the past few years! I still love that song but don't need to see every last performance of it.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents ... -1.1039153

Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes, Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
Keith Bruce

Confounding our expectations and surprising us at every turn, Elvis was back in the building with a whole new company of musicians and yet another radical revision of his back catalogue.

Actually, it was more than that. Not only does Costello bring a fresh approach to his own music with each visit, he also leads his followers to rethink the whole history and breadth of the musical world he operates within. His sidemen here were the sextet of seasoned players of roots Americana who accompanied him on his last album, but we only heard three tracks from that and we had to wait until the third encore to hear the song, Sulphur to Sugarcane, that gave the group its name. Before that we heard the first thoughts of the other Elvis on Mystery Train, and Costello’s beginnings with Blame It On Cain and a gorgeous mariachi version of Red Shoes. But one of a clutch of new songs, possibly titles Slow Drag with Josephine, harked back even further, to vaudeville.

There was a good deal of Costello’s music hall persona in this show. The lighter moments, however, sat alongside the pointed political triumverate of Oliver’s Army, Shipbuilding, and (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding and the dark menace of Psycho and the hanging chords of a terrific, tormented I Want You.

Star rating: ****
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

PaulTMA said
If anyone has any suggestions for making this recording more balanced (compression?) then I'd like to hear them. I have Audacity, Logic Express 8 and Garageband at my disposal.
I use Nero which has several free downloads variations to play with my wav files.
On my version of Nero (which I think is a Ver 8.0 ) there is a Volume option on the top toolbar. Click on the start of the portion of the wav file you want to change the volume of and drag to the end of the portion and then click on the Volume name on the toolbar andd highlight the volume change . Thus gives a pictogram including decibel levels and you can adjust until you're happy with the volume and then save in the normal manner. hope this helps, Best wishes, and good luck
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So he did Psycho.

Was anyone surprised because if so you should listen to me more... :lol:

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 7&start=50

I thank you!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?