Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Liverpool (UK), June 28, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Liverpool (UK), June 28, 2010

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Liverpool (UK), June 28, 2010

Post by Man out of Time »

Tickets also on sale here if you don't want to deal with Ticketb*****d:

https://secure.ticketline.co.uk/tickets ... 2010-06-28

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... s=facebook

Elvis Costello looking forward to being back on home ground in Liverpool

Mar 26 2010

by Jade Wright, Liverpool Echo

Elvis Costello talks to Jade Wright about the battle to give bands the big break they need

THERE are times when we try to claim people as our own. When it comes to famous faces, how do you draw a line between genuine Scousers, adopted Scousers and people who’ve visited the city a couple of times?

Thankfully, we don’t have to stake our claim on Elvis Costello – he's already done it for us.

“I was christened at Holy Cross in Birkenhead, I was dunked and given my name there,” explains Elvis, with more than a touch of pride. “It’s where my mum and dad are from. Where I feel at home is where my family are from.

“I've never felt sentimental about London, but Liverpool, well, that’s a different matter.”

Elvis, born Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus, may not live in the city anymore, but he gets back as often as he can. This summer, at his insistence, he and his band are playing their only UK date at the Philharmonic Hall.

“They said there wasn’t time to play a UK date on this world tour, but I was desperate to do one, so we juggled the rehearsal time around, so I’m rehearsing in Liverpool now, and suddenly it’s possible,” he says.

“I had such a good night last time we played the Phil, and I thought, right, if they're giving me half a chance to do this, let’s get it booked in.”

Music legends don’t get much bigger than Elvis Costello. He has performed with industry legends from Burt Bacharach to Paul McCartney, and has a hugely influential chat show in America.

Today, it seems that everything he does turns to gold, but it hasn’t always been that way. As a teenager he played the smallest venues in Liverpool, shouting to be heard above the noise in spit and sawdust pubs and clubs. He famously earned his first wages – a handsome 50p – at the Blackie, going on to play The Temple Bar off Dale Street, and the legendary Eric’s. It’s a memory that hasn’t left him – he’s still a passionate advocate for new music venues.

“Take the Picket,” he says. “I played there a couple of years ago. It’s a place I feel very strongly about. It’s somewhere in Liverpool that allows people to play music at a community level, and for that it needs the city’s support.

“It’s hard for bands to get to play the big-paying clubs. It always has been.

“My folks had a club where people were playing jazz in the 40s and 50s. You had the same thing at The Cavern. It happened again with Eric’s – you had the Bunnymen, Deaf School, Pete Wylie.

“Without these venues, we wouldn’t have a music scene. We wouldn’t have had The La’s and The Coral.

“Whatever bands do after that is down to their own talent, but they need someone to open that door and give them their first chance.

“The Capital of Culture year was great, but a lot of that community activity wasn’t highlighted. Liverpool has always been a place that’s packed with music. A lot of the places I used to know have closed now, or changed what they do. My favourite place to play was always the Royal Court, then you had old Renshaw Hall, the Neptune Theatre. As I walk down Lime Street I can see the facades of the places that used to hold live music nights.

“The band that my grandfather played in would have played down there. He was a trumpet player, and he did gigs all over the city. The rest of the time he was a ship’s musician, he went back and forth on the ocean liners.”

Elvis inherited a love of music from his family, although when he was growing up he preferred smaller gigs to the massive shows.

“I remember, being a kid in Liverpool, you had to go to Manchester to see the big shows,” he says. “You had to get the train there, and the last train back. It cost a fortune, and that was before you’d paid for your ticket.

“We didn’t have a lot of money, so I just couldn’t go. But then I remember the Stones playing the Empire in 1972. Every kid from my school – St Francis Xavier in Everton – was in the queue for tickets, all in their uniforms. If the headmaster had been looking for all the truants that day, he didn’t need to look any further.

“But I’d decided the Stones were over by then,” he chuckles at the thought. “It was probably their best tour and I'd said they were over.”

Elvis is a devoted Liverpool fan, although his Birkenhead father would take him to alternate games at Anfield and Everton so that he could choose his own team.

“My dad’s an Evertonian, but he took me to Goodison and they lost 4-0 and he took me to Anfield and they won 5-1 and when you’re a kid you go with the winning side,” he laughs.

While his love for the reds may be a constant, his musical passions change all the time. Over the years he’s reinvented his sound, keeping it fresh and vibrant.

Last time he played at the Phil he had the Philharmonic Orchestra, but this time it’s a more stripped-down affair with his own backing band.

“We’ve got fiddle, mandolin, double bass, accordion,” he lists off the instruments. “There’s no drums but we don’t need them. There are three and four-part vocal harmonies. People have said it’s a bluegrass band. I don’t think it is. It’s broader than that.

“I play electric guitar on a couple of numbers, and we do songs of mine from right through my career.”

It’s the band with which he made 2009 album Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.

“I was going to do an album of just acoustic guitar and voice, but I kept adding things in. We didn’t over-think it, we don’t take a long time to make albums, we just went with it.

“When you think about it, albums are just the first version of a song. Six months down the road you’re playing it live and it’ll be completely different.”

Elvis Costello plays the Philharmonic Hall on Monday, June 28. Tickets, priced £35 and £40, go on sale today on 0151-709 3789.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Thanks for this John

I would recommend readers to follow the hyperlink he has provided since those nice people at the Echo have embedded a Youtube of Youthful Elvis miming along to Olivers Army on Top of the Pops.

Bets on the venue for the rehearsals - his mum's front room or The Picket?

Colin Top Balcony
Man out of Time

The Liverpool Philharmonic Hall's website is now showing "Limited availability" for this show, with only 200 or so tickets left in the circle (or balcony if you prefer), middle or rear

How many tickets the agencies are sitting on is another matter. Expect more promotional copy in the LIverpool Echo between now and the concert.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm flying to the UK for this show, so if anyone's got a spare ticket in the first four rows of the stalls, please let me know!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Anyone who has a ticket and is travelling some distance, may want to stay overnight in Liverpool. Travelodge are currently offering a double room in central Liverpool for £19 (room only).

Book here: https://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and ... tel_id=149
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Man out of Time wrote:Anyone who has a ticket and is travelling some distance, may want to stay overnight in Liverpool. Travelodge are currently offering a double room in central Liverpool for £19 (room only).

Book here: https://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and ... tel_id=149
Wonderful. Thank you sir.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Win Elvis's Guitar and help to raise funds for The Picket: http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/Win ... rpool.+/45

Ahead of his sold out performance at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on 28th June Elvis Costello has announced that he is gifting one of his Gibson acoustic guitars to the Picket music venue in Liverpool. The venue will raffle the instrument to raise funds for the work it does with young bands. The Gibson DSM guitar handmade in Canada comes complete with a hard-case and a personal note from Mr. Costello no less!

Since visiting the music venue and its Pinball Studios in the 1980’s Elvis has been a passionate supporter of its work;?“It’s a place I feel very strongly about. It’s somewhere in Liverpool that allows people to play music at a community level, and for that it needs the city’s support”.

More recently in 2007 he appeared at the venue in a fundraising concert with the legendary American musician Allen Toussaint and a 12- piece band flown in from New Orleans. The show sold out within days of being announced and proved to be a memorable occasion while raising over £7,000.00 for the Picket-see review below. ?
Philip Hayes The Picket’s venue manager said, “Elvis’s kindness has been inspirational, his gig at the Picket in 2007 was a such a boost for us and a classic show. This gift will help us to continue to support the next generation of musicians from Liverpool, he knows that when you are starting off in the music industry you need help and encouragement and that’s what we provide.”

Tickets to win the guitar go on sale from Monday 28th June.
They can be purchased by sending a cheque for £10.00 to:
The Picket Music Venue,
61 Jordan Street,
Liverpool,
L1 OBW.
UK
Make it payable to ‘The Picket’ and include a stamped addressed enveloped. ?The draw will take place on 3rd August 2010.?Please include your full contact details name, address, email and a contact telephone number.
Anyone entering the raffle from outside the UK will have to pay any shipping and import charges should they win.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Man out of Time wrote:Tickets also on sale here if you don't want to deal with Ticketb*****d:

https://secure.ticketline.co.uk/tickets ... 2010-06-28

MOOT
Only problem is mine haven't arrived yet - is everyone else in the same boat as me, or am I the only one without a paddle for his canoe?

( A starting to get anxious) Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Me too Colin,
we can form a "Picket" if they haven't turned up by Monday. I emailed ticketmaster (or whoever) last Friday and they said the tickets haven't been released yet - my Cardiff ticket only arrived on Saturday !!
Man out of Time

My Cardiff and Oxford tickets turned up last week via Ticketline. I ordered my Liverpool ticket through the Pharmonic Hall box office. It arrived months ago. I am sure we can get you in somehow....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Haha, ticket arrived this morning, hope Colin Top balcony has got his too - thanks for the kind words MOOT
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

my ticket arrived this morning via those good people at Ticketline - phew!!!
...I want him to hurt...
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Yes - mine arrived at lunchtime.

A very relieved Top Balcony
John

Post by John »

Our tickets also arrived this morning. Booked Monday off work - really looking forward to this now.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

The anticpation builds...

Is anyone is planning to arrive and fancies a refreshment ahead of the show?

I'd suggest the oddly named "Fly in the Loaf" as a decent choice, few hundred yards away from the Phil , details available :

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&so ... f&gs_rfai=

I already am in Sulky's debt to the tune of a pint (or was it two?) and am happy to pay up on Monday.

Perhaps PM me if you are interested?

Best wishes

Colin Top Balcony
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

My tickets arrived Monday, middle of Row A stalls.

Bring it on!!!
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I'm right behind you - middle of Row B. Can't wait! Back-to-back Sugarcanes days coming up! I've got my 'ALL HAIL LAUDERDALE' sign all ready.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

OH MY GOD. What a night! Without a doubt the single greatest concert experience of my life - better than The Who, McCartney, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder.... He even played my request!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

What was your request?

Setlist from wiki site:

01. Mystery Train
02. Blame It On Cain
03. Down Among The Wines And Spirits
04. New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
05. Good Year For The Roses
06. Condemned Man
07. Complicated Shadows
08. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
09. I've Lost You
10. The Delivery Man
11. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
12. A Slow Drag With Josephine
13. Brilliant Mistake
14. Friend Of The Devil
15. Everyday I Write The Book
16. Don't Lie To Me
Encore 1
17. Red Cotton
18. Shipbuilding
19. Sulphur To Sugarcane
20. The Spell That You Cast
21. Alison - including The Wind Cries Mary
22. Happy
Encore 2
23. Mystery Dance
24. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving
25. The Race Is On
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -26745878/

Elvis Costello review: Triumphant Liverpool return for maestro
By Catherine Jones

TWO years ago he made a Capital of Culture appearance in this very hall alongside the RLPO.

But this time Elvis Costello was the main attraction in a return visit to the city that, if it didn’t actually breed him, certainly raised the teenage music maker.

And the former SFX schoolboy, who once played down the road at the Black-E for the princely sum of 50p, and whose mum was an usherette at the Phil, delivered a marathon two-hour, 26-song, guitar-saluting thank you.

The one-time boy from Birkenhead has certainly come a long way, both physically (he now lives in the States with wife Diana Krall) and musically, picking up - magpie-like - shiny new genres during the last three decades, from pub rock to punk to pop to jazz and the current squeeze in this career of cross-fertilisation, bluegrass and country.

It was the latter that dominated last night’s set, with a black-and- white boatered Costello playing alongside the six-strong Sugarcanes - whose members include dobro guitar maestro Jerry Douglas and Nashville Bluegrass Band fiddle player Stuart Duncan.

It lent a bluesy, country feel and some delicious vocal harmonies to much of the Costello back catalogue, right back in fact to Blame it on Cain and (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes from his debut album My Aim is True, and right up to his most recent output including Down Among the Wines and Spirits.

New Amsterdam was given a waltz-like feel as it seeped in and out of a raw version of the Beatles’ You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away (Costello had spent Sunday afternoon supporting Macca at Hyde Park), while the singer showcased a number of new tracks including Jimmy Standing in the Rain - a tango-infused piece of storytelling with the repeated refrain "waiting on a platform at a Lancashire station", and the ragtime-style Slow Drag With Josephine, featuring a dual vocal with mandolin player Mike Compton.

But there was also room for some of the most loved parts of the Costello canon, including Every Day I Write the Book, a pared down Alison, and a heart- rending, grandiose Phil Spector sound saturated Shipbuilding.

There were times during the evening that the sound system distorted Costello’s vocals.

But it didn’t seem to overly bother the packed Phil Hall.

"You’re the best," he told the crowd as he, finally, left the stage.

Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liv ... -26745977/

Elvis Costello review - fantastic concert at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
By Laura Davis

HIS namesake may only live on in rumours and records but the singer-songwriter with the Birkenhead upbringing appears to be immortal.

And at last night’s Philharmonic Hall gig, Elvis Costello demonstrated just why his 35-year career has never faltered.

A consummate performer and a master-wordsmith, he mixed new material with old and other people’s songs in a show that was as refreshing as the rain shower that greeted the exiting audience on this sticky June day.

It was very much a homecoming gig for Costello, who managed to tuck it into his world tour at the last minute thanks to a break in his rehearsing schedule.

Backed by an impressive line-up of musicians, he flew through a first few numbers that spanned his career, from Blame it on Cain taken from his 1977 album My Aim is True to the plunky Down Among the Wines and Spirits, recorded last year with American singer T Bone Burnett.

His 1980 single Amsterdam was the bread in a Beatles sandwich, as Costello seamlessly moved from his own song to a heartfelt You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away and back again.

A request from the audience for a new tune "that’s not out yet – the album’s on the ship" had him checking with the band that they knew it. Within seconds they were off again, with an unplanned recital that had hints of Buddy Holly in its vocal harmonies and rhythm.

Costello was a man of few words but considerable wit , making light of England’s defeat in Sunday’s World Cup match – "Wayne Rooney? More like Mickey Rooney" – though he had been performing with Paul McCartney in Hyde Park at the time of the game.

But this acoustic set was far from a one-man show and only Costello’s charismatic stage presence prevented him from being upstaged by members of his Tennesse band The Sugarcanes.

Stuart Duncan drew a stunningly rich tone from his fiddle, while Mike Compton played the mandolin at such pace that his fingers appeared blurred.

But even their performances were eclipsed by 12-time Grammy Award winner Jerry Douglas who coaxed an amazing range of sounds from his dobro.

Their backing on a beautiful rendition of Shipbuilding made the anthem even more mournful.

A double encore finished the concert with Nick Lowe’s (What’s so Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding as the final song. But if Costello had chosen to play all night, the audience would have stayed to listen.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

And No Coffee Table wrote:What was your request?
I Lost You.