Elvis cancels shows in Israel , June/July '10

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis cancels shows in Israel , June/July '10

Post by johnfoyle »

http://igoogledisrael.com/2010/02/elvis ... to-israel/

February 15, 2010

Elvis Costello is coming to Israel!

And the summer list of international artists performing in Israel just got longer…this time the legendary Elvis Costello has been confirmed for the 30th June at the Caesarea Amphitheater (about half an hour’s drive north of Tel Aviv). He’s only here for the one show but at long last, Israeli music fans can get to say “Elvis has left the building!”…

Elvis Costello (otherwise known as Declan Patrick MacManus) first rose to fame at the end of the 70s, with his oversize glasses and great debut album My Aim Is True. He’s moved into many genres over the years, from his original pub rock beginnings to folk to classical, earning him the label of a “pop encyclopedia”. Personally, I’m a big fan of those first few years, though some of his biggest hits, including “Veronica”, “Every Day I Write The Book” and “She”, came much later.

Tickets go on sale later today via Hadran, and although there’s no word of prices yet, expect to pay around 300 shekels a ticket.

http://www.hadran.co.il/show.asp
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon May 17, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The imposter

Re: Elvis/Sugarcanes plays Tel Aviv, Israel , June 30 '10

Post by The imposter »

Well that's a surprise! He certainly seems to be opening up to playing new places in recent times. Poland, Turkey, Greece, Singapore etc. I think he's happy to go anywhere there is an audience and a promoter who will put the money up. Fair play.

I suppose this means he WILL also be playing in Europe sometime over the summer, possibly festival shows ???? Then again, for some, Isreal IS laughingly considered to be in Europe...

What chance a Sugarcanes rendition of Bedlam ?
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

Let the punning begin: will he play Any King's Shekel?
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

or maybe Yarmulke Cow Blues?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Kosher Variety
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Matzoh to Man...The Crooked Latke...Pastrami Moon...Herring-shaped Bruise...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

There seems to be a second show on July 1: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1164618.html

June will end with a concert by Elvis Costello on the 30th at the Caesarea Amphitheater. Another Costello show, added due to high demand, will take place there the next day. Anyone expecting a night of old hits may be disappointed. The performance will revolve around Costello's 2009 album "Secret, Profane & Sugarcane," and the few old songs will be performed in bluegrass versions.

The new album made it to 13th place in the Billboard 200 ratings, Costello's highest place in 29 years. Eight of the 27 songs in the show are from the new album. Reviews of the tour have been excellent. Billboard noted the outstanding musicians accompanying Costello. Elvis and the first-rate team have dazzled capacity crowds in mostly acoustic concerts lasting more than two hours. Ticket prices in Israel range from NIS 300 to NIS 600, double the prices in New York and Britain, where they range from the equivalent of NIS 180 to NIS 327.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I was wondering when this would start happening -

http://palestinecampaign.org/index7b.as ... nt_ID=1280
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:I was wondering when this would start happening -

http://palestinecampaign.org/index7b.as ... nt_ID=1280
I'd love to see EC's response to that letter. No doubt it would be biting...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems like Elvis decided to withdraw: http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/it- ... plation/44

It Is After Cosiderable Contemplation....

It is after considerable contemplation that I have lately arrived at the decision that I must withdraw from the two performances scheduled in Israel on the 30th of June and the 1st of July.

One lives in hope that music is more than mere noise, filling up idle time, whether intending to elate or lament.

Then there are occasions when merely having your name added to a concert schedule may be interpreted as a political act that resonates more than anything that might be sung and it may be assumed that one has no mind for the suffering of the innocent.

I must believe that the audience for the coming concerts would have contained many people who question the policies of their government on settlement and deplore conditions that visit intimidation, humiliation or much worse on Palestinian civilians in the name of national security.

I am also keenly aware of the sensitivity of these themes in the wake of so many despicable acts of violence perpetrated in the name of liberation.

Some will regard all of this an unknowable without personal experience but if these subjects are actually too grave and complex to be addressed in a concert, then it is also quite impossible to simply look the other way.

I offer my sincere apologies for any disappointment to the advance ticket holders as well as to the organizers.

My thanks also go to the members of the Israeli media with whom I had most rewarding and illuminating conversations. They may regard these exchanges as a waste of their time but they were of great value and help to me in gaining an appreciation of the cultural scene.

I hope it is possible to understand that I am not taking this decision lightly or so I may stand beneath any banner, nor is it one in which I imagine myself to possess any unique or eternal truth.

It is a matter of instinct and conscience.

It has been necessary to dial out the falsehoods of propaganda, the double game and hysterical language of politics, the vanity and self-righteousness of public communiqués from cranks in order to eventually sift through my own conflicted thoughts.

I have come to the following conclusions.

One must at least consider any rational argument that comes before the appeal of more desperate means.

Sometimes a silence in music is better than adding to the static and so an end to it.

I cannot imagine receiving another invitation to perform in Israel, which is a matter of regret but I can imagine a better time when I would not be writing this.

With the hope for peace and understanding. Elvis Costello
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

So maybe he'll replace these concerts by playing more gigs in the UK??
snapyou

Re: Elvis cancels shows in Israel , June/July '10

Post by snapyou »

Well done,Elvis.Great decision.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.jpost.com/ArtsAndCulture/Mus ... ?id=175847

Costello cancels Israel shows

By DAVID BRINN
18/05/2010
Jerusalem Post

No peace, love and understanding from Elvis.

Only two weeks after British rock icon Elvis Costello told The Jerusalem Post that the only answer to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is “dialogue and reconciliation,” he decided to take himself out of the equation by cancelling his two shows scheduled for June 30 and July 1 at the Caesaerea Amphitheater.

Costello posted an announcement on his Web site over the weekend explaining his decision to join the boycott of Israel. “There are occasions when merely having your name added to a concert schedule may be interpreted as a political act that resonates more than anything that might be sung and it may be assumed that one has no mind for the suffering of the innocent,” he wrote.

Saying he couldn’t imagine receiving another invitation to perform in Israel, Costello wrote that since the conflict was “actually too grave and complex to be addressed in a concert, then it is also quite impossible to simply look the other way… sometimes a silence in music is better than adding to the static.”

Costello was set to make his Israeli debut with his new folk/bluegrass band The Sugarcanes, and in his conversation with the Post two weeks ago, he said that he had given much thought to playing in the country, but decided that he was against efforts to boycott performances.

“I know from the experience of a friend who is from Israel and from people who have worked there that there is a difference of opinion there among Israelis regarding their government’s policies. It seems to me that dialogue is essential. I don’t presume to think that my performance is going to be part of the process,” Costello told the Post.

“The people who call for a boycott of Israel own the narrow view that performing there must be about profit and endorsing the hawkish policy of the government. It’s like never appearing in the US because you didn’t like Bush’s policies or boycotting England because of Margaret Thatcher.”

Neither Costello’s US-based management nor the Israeli promoters of the shows have issued official statement yet, and no refund policy for tickets purchased has yet been announced. It’s also unclear whether the announced show by Costello’s wife, vocalist and pianist Diana Krall, will go on as planned on August 9 at the Ra’anana Amphitheater.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 64,00.html

Culture minister: Elvis Costello unworthy of performing in Israel

05.18.10, 13:50 / Israel News

Culture and Sports Minister Limor Livnat criticized singer Elvis Costello for calling off his concerts in Israel. According to the minister, "An artist boycotting his fans in Israel is unworthy of performing here."

Costello issued a statement on his official website on Monday night, in which he apologized to his fans and explained that he had decided to cancel his gigs in Israel in protest of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. (Roni Sofer)
renagav

Post by renagav »

Oh Elvis,
You have made a really bad decision.
Please, ask me any logical question, raise any intelligent issue, if I cannot answer it to your satisfaction then don't come here.
But to cancel your concerts here like this is to show support to the forces of hate and darkness in the world.
You say you do not want to make a political statement but you just made a huge one!!
Those who hate Israel, want us all dead, never excepted our existence or that of the USA by the way, They are all dancing tonight.
You lend your voice to those calling for academic and cultural boycotts of our democracy. Those ratbags who don't bother trying to understand the complexity here and go with the knee-jerk reaction favored by those who get there news from the most biased of sources.

Israel is a thriving, creative and exciting democracy whose achievements in its 63 years of history are UNMATCHED in the world. All this despite being in a constant state of war and being under daily threat from Iran Syria Hizballah and Hamas You rightly say that there are people who oppose the government here. We have freedom of speech!!! Also we have Arab members of the government and our hospitals treat and are staffed by Arabs and Jews together. You are missing out on an amazing oppertunity because of....well I don't even know.

You are being manipulated and you are simply wrong!
I repeat, raise any issue, show me any fact, if I cannot refute it then stay away. I challenge you or the people who work for you.
If I win you owe us a concert!

G
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Oh wow. This was a bad move.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

alexv

Post by alexv »

The New York Times readers chime in. Elvis must be loving the attention.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... israel/?hp
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 »

As an Israeli and a dissapointed fan myself, I feel like Elvis has just done a terrible mistake... I don't really see what message does he try to give or who is he punishing. Costello isn't punishing Israeli leaders, as they all have enough money to buy front-row tickets to any of his other shows. He is basically punishing his fans, regardless of their political views, which is sad.

Each artist who performed here was asked by several organisations to cancel his show, but I believe McCartney got it right when he said "I'm playing here because there are fans who wants to see me here. That doesn't mean I support Israel - I'd play for Palestinians too if they could set it up". Even Roger Waters - who quite loudly critisizes Israel - has performed here, and used his show to convey a message of peace, and when he called onstage to "Tear down the wall and make peace with the Palestinians" - the response was a loud applause.

Elvis Costello doesn't really understand the Middle East situation. I don't understand it either (although I believe I'm closer than him), few people do. It is unprofessional of him to set a show in Israel if he wasn't sure he wanted to play here. Costello cancelling won't change anything in the middle east, but will leave many fans dissapointed.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Just mentioned on the Sean Hannity radio show and taking calls.

IMHO appears like a stupid move (scheduling and then canceling) on EC's part.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

It looks like everyone is turning this into a political issue. If I were in EC's shoes, I would have canceled, too, for the mere fact that, well, people simply get on my nerves. I'm not being insensitive to the people of Palestine, I'm just saying that all this build up and pressure to not perform in Israel would have gotten on my last nerve and I would have said, "You know what.. **CK it! I could use a few extra days of a vacation with my family." Whatever, I guess I can chalk up this post to PMS. Now I have a hankering for hummus... gotta go.
martybaram

Post by martybaram »

WHAT AN OUTRAGE!!! WHY WOULD A HASBEEN SINGER-WHO REALLY NOBODY WANTS TO SEE-CANCEL A SHOW BECAUSE OF "POLITICAL REASONS"?

ELVIS...YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE...STAY AT HOME YOU LOSER...YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO ALL AND ISRAEL HAS GAINED BY NOT HAVING A TWIT LIKE YOU HERE
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

oy vey
migdd

Post by migdd »

martybaram wrote:WHAT AN OUTRAGE!!! WHY WOULD A HASBEEN SINGER-WHO REALLY NOBODY WANTS TO SEE-CANCEL A SHOW BECAUSE OF "POLITICAL REASONS"?

ELVIS...YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE...STAY AT HOME YOU LOSER...YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO ALL AND ISRAEL HAS GAINED BY NOT HAVING A TWIT LIKE YOU HERE

Go away, dufus.

MODERATOR!!!!!!!!