Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays benefit, Purchase College, NY, April 15 '10

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.westchester.com/Westchester_ ... 12778.html

Open Door Presents Elvis Costello

Posted by Westchester.com
Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Purchase, NY - Open Door Family Medical Centers has announced that Elvis Costello will perform a solo concert on Thursday, April 15 at The Performing Arts Center at Purchase College to benefit the federally qualified community health center.

The benefit concert evening includes a cocktail reception, dinner, concert and after concert reception. Honorees for the event are The Honorable Nita Lowey, Congresswoman and Dr. Paul Grundy, Director of Healthcare Transformation IBM, and President of the Patient Centered Primary Care Collaborative.

Lead media sponsor for the event is 107.1 The Peak. Legendary radio personality from The Peak, Jimmy Fink, will serve as MC for the evening as he has done for all of Open Door’s previous concerts starting in 2004 with Joan Osborne and India to the sold-out 2008 concert featuring The B-52’s. The presenting sponsor is Hudson Health Plan. Participating sponsors are Roberto Coin and R&M Woodrow Jewelers, George Comfort & Sons, Inc., The Centre at Purchase, Greenwich and Pace BMW. Supporting Sponsors are the Mogil Organization, Verizon Foundation and Cohanzick Management, LLC. Additional Media Sponsors are Westchester Magazine and Hudson Valley Magazine. To request a Sponsorship Packages contact Desta Lakew at (914) 502-1416 or dlakew@ood.orgThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it .

Tickets go on sale February 15 and vary in price. VIP Benefit ticket prices range from $250-$500 per person. VIP packages are also available. For detailed information and VIP Benefit tickets call (914) 502-1414. These tickets will also be available on line at http://www.opendoormedical.org.

A limited number of general admission tickets for the concert only are also available at $100-$150. To purchase general admission tickets call the Performing Arts Center Box Office at (914) 251-6200 or visit http://www.artscenter.org.

All funds raised from the benefit concert will help support Open Door’s mission to provide quality medical care and human services at affordable prices to the community, particularly the economically disadvantaged. “The Benefit Concerts have been hugely successful not only in raising much needed support for Open Door, but they have helped us raise our profile and reach deeper into our community,” said president & CEO Lindsay Farrell. “Music has the ability to cross cultural and generational barriers and we find that the concerts bring together a diverse and passionate audience of old and new friends.”

About Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello’s 30 year career is testament to his unending musical curiosity and creativity. He was inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame with his band The Attractions in 2003 and he has played with everyone from Swedish mezzo-soprano Anna Sophie von Otter to Paul McCartney. He has been nominated for an Oscar for best song, commissioned by The Miami City Ballet and he Royal Danish Opera and he has performed in major concert halls and at Festivals throughout in the world. In December 2008, he launched the inaugural season of his internationally acclaimed music television series “Spectacle: Elvis Costello with….” and in 2009 he released “Secret, Profane & Sugarcane” (Hear Music). All of that barely scratches the surface of who Elvis Costello is and why Open Door Family Medical Centers is excited to announce the 2010 Open Door Benefit Concert with Elvis Costello.

About Open Door Family Medical Centers

Open Door has received the highest Recognition as a Patient-Centered Medical Home™ (PPC-PCMH™) from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). This ranking distinguishes them from medical practices across the nation as less than 2% are presently able to achieve this advanced standing. The federally qualified community health center serves a vast multi-cultural community and has provided top quality medical, dental care and social services to the Westchester community, particularly the economically disadvantaged, for 38 years. Open Door has four centers in Westchester located in Ossining, Port Chester, Mt. Kisco and Sleepy Hollow. In addition, Open Door operates School-Based Health Centers in Port Chester at The Edison Elementary School, Kennedy Magnet School, Port Chester Middle School and Port Chester High School. In 2009, approximately 41,000 patients were treated at Open Door, making nearly 200,000 patient visits. Over 12,500 children were treated during that same year. Funding for Open Door Family Medical Centers comes from local, state and federal grants as well as private foundations and individuals.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis plays benefit, Purchase College, NY, April 15 '10

Post by bronxapostle »

close to home! but, can i afford it??? the night before A.C. a VERY NICE double header indeed!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

DON'T FORGET!! ON SALE NOW!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

looks like they gave the both balcony (up and down) "side" section seats for only $100!!! i was assuming first GRAND TIER for $150 and then SECOND TIER for $100.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

another error!! b.o. contacted me to say they had to switch seats as i was receving the $150 seats for $100. sheesh...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Promo video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94U6OKG ... r_embedded#

This show is now being 'presented' by a radio station -

http://1071thepeak.com/promotions/elvis/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.lohud.com/article/20104080345

Elvis Costello? His aim is still true

By Chris Serico • cserico@lohud.com

April 8, 2010

While rock legend Elvis Costello has wowed thousands of sold-out arenas leading up to next week's solo gig at Purchase College, his first one-man show didn't exactly pump up the crowd.

As a 13-year-old in England, he debuted his act at a church-basement folk show that starred Ewan MacColl, the composer of "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face."

"I got up there with my acoustic guitar and a little song I wrote," recalls Costello, 55. "I looked up, and there (MacColl) was, asleep. It was a great day. It does stick in the mind, that kind of thing."

Because the Attractions' frontman has played with everyone from Paul McCartney to the Beastie Boys — and occasionally accompanied by a full orchestra — it'll be a rarity when Costello takes the stage alone at Purchase for an April 15 fundraiser to benefit Open Door Family Medical Centers in Westchester.

"Solo performances tend to be the most diverse, in terms of repertoire, because I have the freedom to change without worrying about whether anybody remembers an arrangement," says Costello, a 2003 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.

"Well-known tunes are shown in a different light when I play them solo, because that was usually how they were written; you take a song like 'Veronica,' or something like that, and you play it exactly as it was written before the arrangement of the recording came into play. And then you might play something that might be a less well-known song from the past, but one that thrives on live performance. And then it fosters an opportunity to play a brand new song."

Costello's eclectic career has spanned more than three decades. With roots in punk, he's a groundbreaking, shape-shifting hit-maker in new wave ("Radio, Radio"), rock ("What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?") and country ("Complicated Shadows"). He earned an Oscar and a Grammy nomination for co-writing "Scarlet Tide," which appears on the soundtrack of 2003's "Cold Mountain."

He's even a closet comedian, playing the straight man on TV and in films for Conan O'Brien, Stephen Colbert, Mike Myers and Sacha Baron Cohen. "I'm not sure you'd get everybody to agree that I have any comedic talent," he says, deadpan. "I've always liked comedy. I suppose musicians interested in acting ... (are) straight hair and curly hair; those who have straight hair always want curly hair and vice-versa. It's no more than that. I don't harbor any sort of delusion that I really am an unrecognized thespian talent."

But when Open Door pursued him for his musical abilities, the cause piqued his interest.

"I could quite literally say I wouldn't be here today were it not for the fact that there was accessible health care (in England), with all the flaws — and no one pretends it's a perfect system," he says. "My parents' and grandparents' generation, being working-class people, did not have that. There are members of my family who lived shorter lives than they might have done, because they couldn't get it."

Founded in 1972, Open Door has Ossining, Port Chester, Sleepy Hollow and Mount Kisco branches providing medical and dental care, as well as school-based health centers and social services to low-income county residents. Funded by local, state and federal grants as well as private foundations and individual donations, Open Door treated 41,000 patients — including 13,482 children — last year alone.

"They're sort of the folks who are behind the scenes, whether they're mowing lawns, whether they're washing dishes in restaurants, whether they're babysitting (or) housekeeping," says Lindsay Farrell, Open Door's president. "Those are the folks that we care for, by in large, in our facilities. We believe that they're getting some of the highest-quality primary care available in Westchester."

While politicians and their constituents debate White House health-care initiatives, the bespectacled singer from across the pond doesn't see why there's so much resistance in America.

"The fact that situation exists, in an apparently civilized country, is a disgrace," Costello adds. "And the fact that it's often played for financial and political gain is also a disgrace."

Strong opinions are nothing new to Costello. As the musical guest for a 1977 episode of "Saturday Night Live," he famously interrupted his song "Less Than Zero" in favor of "Radio, Radio," his scathing indictment of the radio industry's limited musical spectrum. Yet, what once was rage has mellowed.

"I haven't thought about radio in so many years," he admits. "The landscape's changed so much, you could argue that with satellite radio you have ultimate choice, as you do if you would choose to see the Internet that way. The circumstances are a little different, but there are stations all over the country that continue to try and be original, and play music that they love."

Scarsdale's Jimmy Fink, a veteran disc jockey, plays Costello's music regularly on 107.1 The Peak. He's also member of Open Door's board of directors, and for Costello's show he'll serve as emcee, a role he's fulfilled for every Open Door concert fundraiser since 2004.

"What a great songwriter he is," Fink says. "One of the things that I like most about Elvis is his diversity, in terms of the different people that he's worked with over time. I mean, it stretches from George Strait to Paul McCartney to Burt Bacharach to Fall Out Boy; it's just all over the place. ... There are so many artists who sort of shy away from going in one direction or another, but Elvis doesn't seem to have any fear about doing that."

Farrell, Open Door's president, says she was thrilled to land Costello for the annual fundraiser, whose previous musical guests have included Joan Osborne and the B-52s.

"People who come and attend the concert are supporting Open Door, so they're making a gift to us," Farrell says, "but hopefully we're giving a gift back to them."
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Tomorrow night. I'm psyched!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'm ready. it's fitting that EC will be the FIRST artist i see in FIVE decades as of tomorrow. WOO-HOO...my 90th!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:i'm ready. it's fitting that EC will be the FIRST artist i see in FIVE decades as of tomorrow. WOO-HOO...my 90th!
Did you treat yourself to the ultra VIP $10,000 meet-and-greet tix?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

HECK, no! i've met & gret enough times for free!!! i'm lucky i scraped the $100 together twice to get mrs apostle & me there. had to save some coinage for ATLANTIC CITY the next night too! ENJOY the show DOC!!! wave to me from the 10G seats! best, ba
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:HECK, no! i've met & gret enough times for free!!! i'm lucky i scraped the $100 together twice to get mrs apostle & me there. had to save some coinage for ATLANTIC CITY the next night too! ENJOY the show DOC!!! wave to me from the 10G seats! best, ba
I'm not much closer than you, believe me. Tomorrow's show in AC is with The Imposters, right? I should go....hmmmm...

P.S. You're a BTX'er, right? I recognize the name.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Friend of mine is a stagehand who worked on the EC show at Purchase College tonight. I'll have to ask if he has any stories for me.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

good show tonight, but SHORT AS SHIT!!! not even 90 minutes. but i got four new ones and a decent AUD. everyone, please do a novena that i find my necessary wires to get the SONY hooked UP to the PC for the transfer!!!!

RED SHOES
EITHER SIDE
VERONICA
DOWN AMONG
BRILLIANT
EVERYDAY (original RECORDED version, not the Sexsmith one as E introduced it!!!)
BEDLAM (JAZZ GUITAR VERSION)
JIMMIE STANDING
JOSEPHINE
DETECTIVES (flipped out YO LA TENGO version)
SWEETHEART
JWS
GOD'S COMIC
ALISON...........................sigh, NO 'IN ANOTHER ROOM'.

encores:

SULPHUR
LUCKY DOG
MAN OUT OF TIME
ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL

EIGHTEEN SONGS! shortest full show i"ve seen since BOTTOM LINE 4-1-79
Last edited by bronxapostle on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docinwestchester

I was there too. Agree that it was way too short. And the accoustics were a little muddy.
I taped it on my Zoom H2. Looks like me and ba will have duelin' versions of the Purchase solo show.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:I was there too. Agree that it was way too short. And the accoustics were a little muddy.
I taped it on my Zoom H2. Looks like me and ba will have duelin' versions of the Purchase solo show.

oh, you WILL win the duel DOC! that ZOOM H2 sounds mighty!!! me, i'm REAL OLD SCHOOL...CASSETTE!!! but, i like it as a souvenir. better than nothing when it's the only one and listenable enough when played LOUD!!! we'll swap. best, benny
docinwestchester