23 years ago tonight...night two BROADWAY!

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

23 years ago tonight...night two BROADWAY!

Post by bronxapostle »

a tuesday! my 18th EC show; first COSTELLO SINGS AGAIN. the intro of "BIG NOTHING" started the night. i had like twelfth row center (thanks to Harriet at Ron Delsener) with a pal...Eugene! cool to see so many new songs (HONEY ARE YOU?, JACK OF ALL PARADES, UNCOMPLICATED, I WANT YOU, HOME IS ANYWHERE as well ON BDWY and LULLABYE OF BDWY) after more than two years since his last New York City show at Radio City Music Hall 8-18-84. said hello to Jules Shear before the show...was he with Aimee Mann too that night? Blood & Chocolate/Request Night featured nothing more than a wonderfully cheesy foot operated light at Elvis feet signaling he was ready for a "request" from the audience. my stats show it was only employed twice: NO ACTION and CHELSEA! my notes also read E starts with 2nd verse for NEW LACE SLEEVES: gotta listen to the boot to verify how he corrected. what a rush getting all five shows upon cassette and later cd some 10-15 years later. & killer quality all around too. thanks Cal and Tony! an hour thirty five show with 24 tunes upon my setlist for the night. a rocking cool start to a great week.

wednesday the 22nd was another stellar October night in NYC! this one billed as EC solo and with HIS Confederates if i remember correctly the original pronoun. #19 started killer solo reminiscent of the 1984 solo tour (including that tours version of ONLY FLAME) with tons of songs, originals and surprise covers thrown at us in a great whirlwind hour. dubbed by the Man himself as "THE WORLD OF TRAVEL" it included EC slide show of the whole wide world pointed out with aid of an umbrella and the catch phrase of the night: "YOU ARE HERE!" good EC goofing around with a whopping 23 songs i had not yet seen LIVE! first TOKYO/STORM/WARNING (as there were two breaks in the song for further E chit-chat!), SUIT OF LIGHTS, HEATHEN TOWN, DEPORTEE, PRETTY IN PINK and more before the solo portion ended. immediately followed by my "only" COWARD BROTHERS appearance! two songs as a duet (RAGGED AND WE'RE RIGHT and RING OF FIRE) before the CONFEDS started slowly appearing during the last two CB set songs (TOM DOOLEY and TWIST & SHOUT). then, my first hour of CONFEDERATES which featured: JAMES BURTON, JERRY SCHEFF, JIM KELTNER, MITCHELL FROOM, T-BONE BURNETT, T-BONE WOLK, MICHAEL BLAIR and RALPH CARNEY (yeah TIN HUEY!!!!!!!) twelve more debuts followed for me and could not wait for the next nights FULL Confederates set. this ticket was in the 16th row and i copped it for an honest $35 in front that night as it was the only night i did NOT have a ticket in hand so i went it alone. oh and Jules and Aimee were two rows behind me so i guess they were together the night before. an incredible two hours and twenty minute show!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

Re: 23 years ago tonight...night one BROADWAY!

Post by Harry Lime »

Hey, I was at that show too. I had just moved to NYC in July and was fired up for all the music available in the Big Apple--in the preceding month I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the Garden and John Cale and Chris Spedding at the Lone Star Cafe. I bought scalped tickets across the street from the theater right before the show, and my seats were way up in the balcony. But hey, it was Elvis in NEW YORK!!!! I remember being disappointed that there weren't more requests played, but it was still a pretty rocking show. Wish I had more money to take in some of the other Broadway nights, but the $55 for the ticket almost broke me.

As a personal footnote, I ended up working in the building right next to the Broadway Theater for about 10 years. So it was something of a hub for my NY life.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
snapyou

Re: 23 years ago tonight...night one BROADWAY!

Post by snapyou »

Wow,Bronx,do you know where I can DL that boot, sounds right up my street!
Happy Anniversary!

(had forgotten all about the request light !)
bronxapostle

Re: 23 years ago tonight...night two BROADWAY!

Post by bronxapostle »

will just keep writing about the week in first post! please chime in with your memories.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

F$%&!!!!! LOOKS LIKE THE COMPUTER VIRUS I'VE BEEN FIGHTING FOR TWO WEEKS MAY HAVE FINALLY GOTTEN MY PC! TYPING THIS FROM WORK....HOPE TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TONIGHT!!!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Pretty in Pink really floored me on that tour.
Very poignant.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

The two nights he played in Edinburgh had the best ending of gigs I'd ever seen:
one night;Poor Napoleon with Cait,the other Pump It Up(alone with beatbox?)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

computer blew up this week...sorry! will continue NEXT year 24 years down the road....ba
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

bronxapostle wrote:computer blew up this week...sorry! will continue NEXT year 24 years down the road....ba
Hope it's better soon and that you've not lost anything.
My photoshop decided to stop working today,i think it's died too.