The Costello Show Live Project

Post by snapyou »

This sounds well exciting.
I wonder what we'll be offered?
:D
Neil.

Re: The Costello Show Live Project

Post by Neil. »

Yep, really, really curious about what's going to featured. I'm eager to get past the first few years of his career, as we've had plenty of version of Less Than Zero, Lipstick Vogue, Detectives etc. Eager to get to 1980 onwards. Also, I hope he keeps in a lot of his cover versions. That press release seems to suggest this is going to happen over one year. So does that mean a release per month, I wonder?
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

I agree,I hope it's more of his 80s/90s/noughties shows.
Spinning Songbook would be perfect!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wondered what this was all about (obviously haven't been paying attention). Nothing at all on elviscostello.com (which has a nice scrolling left to right effect on it now with Tony Millionaire artwork, like a kid's picture-book, but very little content on it at all). Can't see anything on the wiki site. Pitchfork has this - Mocambo is first in a series coming out over the next year:

http://pitchfork.com/news/36296-elvis-c ... onto-show/

About time. I've got loads of bootlegs, mainly from Dime, most of which don't repay much relistening. Refused to get the Hip-O reissues, though will try and get them at some point. Some decent quality ones will be great news.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ummm, where is the "official" word about this please?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bronxapostle wrote:ummm, where is the "official" word about this please?
http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRelea ... 594&EDATE=
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks for that ANCT! man, here we go again! if i have the ORIGINAL non bootleg PROMO vinyl LP; the cd from the 2 1/2 years box; and probably a boot of the boot too....how much am i going to have to plunk down now? i imagine they will do it up with added artwork blah blah blah where i got to have it despite HAVING it, right? and who knows what else is coming down the pipe??? hopefully, shows we DON'T already have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm super excited about this-- but I probably won't re-purchase Live At El Mocambo. My Rykodisc version is fine, and unless there were some extra reason to buy a new copy, there's no reason to replace it. (It's not a disc I play that often anyway!)

But the full Hollywood High show is a great choice-- the cuts on the AF Rhino Bonus Disc are great-- and I'm really looking forward to a few more interesting choices as the series progresses. I really hope that they decide to go all out for the Spinning Songbook concerts, something like that really deserves quite a few separate releases to cover his solo concerts, his Attractions shows, The Confederates, and also a fair amount of the special guests he sang with on that tour. Actually, rather than simply picking full concerts, it would almost be preferable if he selected a sampling of "best performances" from multiple shows, the way Dylan's Rolling Thunder "Bootleg Series" set did.

Good sounding recordings of his solo concerts from '84 would be very welcome, especially with all the interesting covers he performed. I wonder if this series will span his entire career including with The Imposters, or if it will largely favor the first 10 years with the Attractions. Either way, it will be a lot of fun, I think. And much better than what they were doing with those overpriced deluxe editions, where you had to re-purchase the albums to get the live disc.

Are there any key tours that have never been widely bootlegged that people want to see released in this series?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, can't see many hardcore fans buying El Mocambo as I imagine most of us already have it. The possibilty of Eurosolo '84 is v exciting, and Spinning Songbook (soz, I'm repeating myself now)

Nx
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I never got Mocambo, so yes please. Hollywood High is from where came the splendid 'Accidents WIll Happen' with piano only on the original AF bonus 45, correct? It then leads into the opening of 'Mystery Man'.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

well, i guess we never did have a boot of the HOLLYWOOD HIGH show if this is the setlist from ECIS!

Venue
Los Angeles, CA, Hollywood High School
Musicians
Elvis Costello
The Attractions
Setlist
01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Mystery Dance
03. Lip Service
04. unidentified song
05. Goon Squad
06. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
07. Party Girl
08. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
09. unidentified song
10. This Year's Girl
11. No Action
12. Stranger In The House
13. The Beat
14. Alison
15. Lipstick Vogue
16. Watching The Detectives
17. You Belong To Me
18. Radio, Radio
19. Pump It Up
20. Waiting For The End Of The World
21. Miracle Man

what will the two unidentified sings turn into: HIGH FIDELITY (slow); IDLE HANDS; B MOVIE (fast)?????
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I too don't think I need another Macombo, being as I'm happy with my Ryko version. If there's a Hollywood High that's more complete than what's on the Rhino Armed Forces, I will buy that. And I'd buy any other complete concerts from after, say, 1980.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

bronxapostle wrote:what will the two unidentified sings turn into: HIGH FIDELITY (slow); IDLE HANDS; B MOVIE (fast)?????
Too early for those.

Busy Bodies, maybe.
And Stranger in the House, perhaps.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

I'm really looking forward to some of the releases we might get out of this project, there's so much great stuff from so many different tours: the first solo shows (which were in the US I think, I heard a boot ages ago), later Attractions shows, the 90s reunion shows, more Meltdown stuff (the collaboration with Donal Lony were amazing and a yet unreleased), more C&N (the Lonely World tour promoting Painted From Memory), the Robert Wyatt Meltdown solo show that was a complete one off and like being subjected to his mid life crisis (in a mainly good way) until at the encore he unveiled the Imposters for the first time...

These I would pay for, having ducked out of the last round of reissues.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Dr. Luther wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:what will the two unidentified sings turn into: HIGH FIDELITY (slow); IDLE HANDS; B MOVIE (fast)?????
Too early for those.

Busy Bodies, maybe.

yeah! you're right Dr. L. those are more like MARCH 1979 shows, huh??? stranger would have been known then though, don't you think? but, BB sounds like a good call!!!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

God, I saw that Robert Wyatt Meltdown, Paul B.

He went a bit bananas - using two mics at a time, going all Thomas Dolby at one point. I do remember storming versions of No Wonder, Alibi and 45 - and he introduced the new Spooky Girlfriend, too, I recall, and Dust. I love Dust, actually! Great lyrics (if dust could only speak, cry or scream - a superb and, yet again, impossible image from Mr C.), great hook in the line 'Should I spit out the truth or would you rather just swallow the lie?'
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Neil. wrote:God, I saw that Robert Wyatt Meltdown, Paul B.

He went a bit bananas - using two mics at a time, going all Thomas Dolby at one point. I do remember storming versions of No Wonder, Alibi and 45 - and he introduced the new Spooky Girlfriend, too, I recall, and Dust. I love Dust, actually! Great lyrics (if dust could only speak, cry or scream - a superb and, yet again, impossible image from Mr C.), great hook in the line 'Should I spit out the truth or would you rather just swallow the lie?'

Was this the one with Steve Nieve. When The Imposters came on for the encore.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

bronxapostle wrote:
Dr. Luther wrote:
Too early for those.

Busy Bodies, maybe.
yeah! you're right Dr. L. those are more like MARCH 1979 shows, huh??? stranger would have been known then though, don't you think? but, BB sounds like a good call!!!
No great perception on my part.
I attended the show 2 days later in San Jose on the 6th, and both of those were played.

(Stranger in the House was being given the full "Big Tears"-type treatment on that tour. Heavy, full band arrangement. It was quite the spectacular treat at the time...)
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Neil. wrote:God, I saw that Robert Wyatt Meltdown, Paul B.

Absolutely Neil, it was a real left field gig wasn't it. There was a cracking semi beat box version of Hurry Down Doomsday too (mind you I remember Jerry Sheff banging away on a dustbin on it on the Rude 5 MLAR tour). As far as I recall when he premiered the Imposters for the encores they just did oldies, which he almost always plays so loud and furious that the vocals get buried and it just becomes a very elating hell of a noise. In the queue to get into the brilliant but different Astoria show a few months after, when WIWC was released, I met a nice couple who'd been at Meltdown but had had to leave before the encore to catch a train - the looks on there sorry faces were a picture when I told them what had happened!

Our dust will no doubt be under the fingernails of statues of the great and probably not so good.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

This is how Tom Petty's handling his live recordings, like to see Elvis do the same

http://addictedtovinyl.com/blog/2009/10 ... tbreakers/
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Dr. Luther wrote:
Too early for those.

Busy Bodies, maybe.
I don't think "Stranger in The House" is the second unidentified song, as it appears elsewhere in the show as song #12! "Busy Bodies" appears a very good guess, though, especially since it's absence on the Rhino bonus disc (which collects all the other performances of ARMED FORCES songs from this show, among others) could be explained by the presence of an alternate studio version. The other most likely candidates are songs that were played at other shows around this time like "Less Than Zero" and "Blame It On Cain", though it's not immediately clear why the person who transcribed the setlist wouldn't recognize such familiar songs. It's hard to believe that the Rhino folks would have neglected to include a truly offbeat track like "Damage" (played a Paris show a couple weeks later) if it was part of the set, but I'd like to think perhaps there is a small chance it was a one-off performance of a b-side like "Big Tears" or "Tiny Steps" (not otherwise known to be performed until a few months later)?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The source of the Hollywood High setlist is Richard Groothuizen's book Going Through The Motions. The reason for the unidentified song titles is a design error on page 114 which has seven songs from this leg of this tour (but only two played at Hollywood High) represented by numbers without any corresponding song titles.

The June 6 San Jose setlist reveals the identity of one of the missing songs, and because of that we can conclude that "Busy Bodies" was not performed at Hollywood High. Other songs played on this leg of the tour but not at Hollywood High include "Less Than Zero," "Hand In Hand," "I'm Not Angry," "Two Little Hitlers," "Blame It On Cain," and "Little Triggers."

Among the remaining possibilities for the two missing songs: "Night Rally," "Pay It Back," "Roadette Song," "Living In Paradise," "Moods For Moderns," "Big Tears," "Radio Sweetheart," "Welcome To The Working Week," "No Dancing," "Sneaky Feelings," and "Sunday's Best."

"Oliver's Army," "Big Boys," "Green Shirt," and "Chemistry Class" had all been premiered as solo performances by this point, but I don't think they had been played with the band yet.

It's always possible something truly unexpected was played. While Groothuizen indicates that song #4 was played at three of the four shows preceding Hollywood High, song #9 wasn't played anywhere else on that leg of the tour.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Among the remaining possibilities for the two missing songs: "Night Rally," "Pay It Back," "Roadette Song," "Living In Paradise," "Moods For Moderns," "Big Tears," "Radio Sweetheart," "Welcome To The Working Week," "No Dancing," "Sneaky Feelings," and "Sunday's Best."

"Oliver's Army," "Big Boys," "Green Shirt," and "Chemistry Class" had all been premiered as solo performances by this point, but I don't think they had been played with the band yet.

It's always possible something truly unexpected was played. While Groothuizen indicates that song #4 was played at three of the four shows preceding Hollywood High, song #9 wasn't played anywhere else on that leg of the tour.
Er, so it's two of any of the above then ? That or something else!

"Moods For Moderns," is a good shout , that had been knocking around for ages as an instrumental riff. That and probably something else from Armed Forces unrecognisable to the compiler.

Have to wait n see

I notice he's suddenly playing Ghost Train, Hand in Hand, Motel Matches, High Fidelity etc.. I wonder is he listening to promos of forthcoming releases of either this or the 30th anniv series ? btw What happened with that ? Does it end with TYM ?

Probably not, just scanning his huge songbook at will.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

A full Confederates show,a full Rude 5 show,an orchestra show ,a Spinning Book residency,a best of solo,a best of steve and EC
and the best ever versions of I Want You and Couldn't Call ..4

Oh,also EC and The Attractions with Cait doing Instant Karma !
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I saw that Instant Karma - it was just a wall of white noise as far as I remember, with the whole band in darkness and Cait smoking a fag which glowed in the dark!