New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:absolutely blown away by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, who I got to meet on Sunday.
Nice pics, especially with you next to the glowing blue eyes of GW! Any news of a new record? It's been quite a while, hasn't it?

Talking of which, Sufjan has a new tour coming up, US only, but still no new record. It's been years. There's a remix CD coming out, and some box thing of a live show or something, but where are the new songs?
Not sure about Sufjan, but I asked GW and DR about a new record and they said early next year.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

martinfoyle wrote: I haven't seen Van in 6 years, partly because, like Elvis, he doesn't play Dublin anymore, and also because the bootlegs indicate he's gotten a bit boring. Will Bob? We'll see, somehow I don't think so.
Looks like I may be right

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/ ... _band.html
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Booked to see Neko Case and the guys from Calexico at the Beacon in November. Yeah I know - I just saw her at Newport, but hopefully this will be a little special.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Will be seeing Graham Parker in town[just five blocks from the house] on 9/25/2009- he is doing a solo show in town at the Howland Center-cannot pass this up-really enjoyed his country album from a few years back-but the more breaking news is the announcement of the release of the long rumored Bob Dylan's Christmas Album which is being released in October, '09-proceeds to go to charity-get your orders in now-hey if BABS could do it- why not?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Will be seeing Graham Parker in town[just five blocks from the house] on 9/25/2009- he is doing a solo show in town at the Howland Center-cannot pass this up-really enjoyed his country album from a few years back-but the more breaking news is the announcement of the release of the long rumored Bob Dylan's Christmas Album which is being released in October, '09-proceeds to go to charity-get your orders in now-hey if BABS could do it- why not?
So you're in the Cold Spring area? Very nice down there. We looked at houses down there before deciding it was a little out of our price range. I saw Graham up here at the Towne Crier a few years ago and also with Nick Lowe in Tarrytown. He puts on a good show and likes to pull out little nuggets from his back catalogue. Should be a treat.
Jack of All Parades

Close-up the road a bit past Pete Seeger's house nestled at the foot of beautiful Mt. Beacon in the interesting burg of Beacon-mother and brother are in the old church yard down the street-like you, knew of Cold Spring but find it too yuppified for me-and the prices do reflect that- managed to find a great old home in Beacon for a good price many years ago-have no mortgage to speak of because of that- and have not looked back-like the diversity in this community and the fact that my kids were able to grow up around a varied economic and social mixture of residents-plus we have places like the Howland Center where I can see someone like Graham Parker perform or my wife see a renowned pianist like Till Fellner for a recital-thank you for the tip about his past performance at the Town Crier-oddly he is in Cambridge at a small club this coming week while I am in Boston with a $5 admission charge-may have to check him out there as well after seeing the Redsox beat the Blue Jays at Fenway- saturday night.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Close-up the road a bit past Pete Seeger's house nestled at the foot of beautiful Mt. Beacon in the interesting burg of Beacon-mother and brother are in the old church yard down the street-like you, knew of Cold Spring but find it too yuppified for me-and the prices do reflect that- managed to find a great old home in Beacon for a good price many years ago-have no mortgage to speak of because of that- and have not looked back-like the diversity in this community and the fact that my kids were able to grow up around a varied economic and social mixture of residents-plus we have places like the Howland Center where I can see someone like Graham Parker perform or my wife see a renowned pianist like Till Fellner for a recital-thank you for the tip about his past performance at the Town Crier-oddly he is in Cambridge at a small club this coming week while I am in Boston with a $5 admission charge-may have to check him out there as well after seeing the Redsox beat the Blue Jays at Fenway- saturday night.
Aha, have fun at Fenway. Weather could be a little iffy on Saturday. Hope they can get the game in. Yeah, I like Beacon. We lived in Poughkeepsie for a number of years before moving out here to Pawling. It's quiet, but I love it - and we got a hell of a lot more for our money than we would have in Cold Spring.
Jack of All Parades

Had a great time at Fenway when my teeth were not chattering-kept an intervenous line of clam chowder going-the rain had finally stopped but the wind kept up-felt like 30 degrees in the bleachers- fortunately was treated to a pitching gem by Clay Bucholz- now my neice has seen his no hitter and a three hitter-successfully moved the daughters -one to Bay State street and the other from Beacon Hill to Mission Hill-St. Alphonsus St- ironically just around the corner from the Basillica where Ted Kennedy had his funeral-my daughter saw all four living presidents in attendance- Obama, Bush, Clinton and Carter from the apartment window- funny watching them try to spruce up the neighborhood-took a walk in the area the next day and viewed the Basillica- very impressive architecture and quite an elaborate interior with exquisite stain glass and marble pillars-quite ornate.
Jack of All Parades

Spent a wonderful day with my wife in NYC- a highlight being a visit to the Morgan Library & Museum to see the newly installed exhibit "William Blake's World"-have always been an admirer of his art work but have never had a chance like this to see so many wonderful original examples-the drawing and etching is exquisite-the show has representations from all his major allegorical works that are staggering in their fine line detail-I never realized that he drew words and images on printing plates and then scraped away the surface around the words and the images so that the text and image would blend seamlessly- when you see the results they take your breathe away and when you add the fact that he hand colored many of them you can only stand back and shake your head in amazement-there is one piece in particular, a plate which shows the pilgrims departing for Canterbury that rivals any Durer I have seen- Ypsilanti-I was struck in reflecting on the show during my drive home how some of your pieces which you shared on another thread in layout mirror some of Blake's lithographs for his series on Job-they both share a central iconic image which is surrounded by satelite images that reflect upon the central image-you might enjoy this show.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sounds wonderful. Have never seen a Blake exhibition and would really like to.

The definition of 'gig' is stretching a bit! How about a 'new exhibitions' thread?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Duly noted and chastised.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Just booked to see Smokey Robinson with the BBC Concert Orchestra at the Roundhouse as part of the BBC Electric Proms. I am really looking forward to it.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

saw kings of leon the other night. unlike at green day, this time we were way old. lots of half dressed girls thinking they were gonna sleep with the band. the kings were bitchin'. little band making big noise in an ice arena. in the very near past when they came thru they played a glorified bar. moody woulda been happy as they seemed a shade more jazzed about playing the usually more odd tempo subversive stuff off the first 3 cds than the commercial bombast of the new one.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

hard to imagine how somebody could sleep thru that, right?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Going to see an obscure Irish band called You Two or something like that tomorrow night. Muse opens.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Glenn Tilbrook (solo) @ Andover Lights - 14 Nov
Chris Wood @ The Gulbenkian Theatre, Canterbury - 28 Nov
signed with love and vicious kisses
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw an excellent solo show by Marshall Crenshaw. He switched off between two electric guitars. I had only a passing knowledge of Mr. Crenshaw's work, but it's been awhile since I've seen a show. I was surprised at how 'jazz-like' his playing was. Judging by the reaction of the app. 100 people in the audience he did all of his hits.
Note to self - Look for 'Best Of' compilation
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Believe it or not I went to another show. This time it was a band from New Orleans called Bonerama. I first saw this band down in NO when they opened for the Dirty Dozen Brass Band at Tipatina's. It's a band with three trombones, bass guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, and drums. Think of the early Chicago albums or Blood, Sweat, & Tears. They did a song called 'Save The Bones For Henry Jones (Cause Henry Don't Eat No Meat) which may be my new favorite song. Make sure you go to Bonerama.net and NOT .com, because you will get a totally different subject matter.
Here they are doing 'Helter Skelter':
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Went and saw Lucinda Williams last night in Providence – at the Strand (now Lupos). It’s usually a general admission place without seats downstairs, and a balcony with seats that is sometimes open. We had seats in the balcony last night, but they also put seats on the floor in front of the stage – maybe half the floor was seats. She was in a “mood” most of the night – coming on a little late – “Well it’s about fucking time” she said and then plowed into a song from the first record – the folk one. They had set lists taped to the stage, but after every song she would confer with the band – pick a different song – the band would need to change guitars and the roadie guy would bring out laminated lyrics for her music stand….she had a notebook with the lyrics for the songs that I guess corresponded with the set list. I can’t argue with any of the material she played – and it was kind of weird. She played two or three songs from all of her albums in chronological order – and not always the obvious ones. My favorite of the night was Sweet Old World. Towards the end after she played Come On – she went off – “Fucking Dude and his fucking wife get up and walk out in the middle of the fucking song….wait till the end of the fucking song to leave…If I fucking had something to fucking throw I would have….this ain’t no fucking folk concert” – at the end of the next song “There’s the fucking door….fucking leave….I don’t fucking care…” I thought this attitude all added to the delivery of the songs – I haven’t seen this in a while…..much tension - I guess more than a few people were walking out/around downstairs - but it's a bar, she should be used to this - still I was more amused than disgusted.

This is mostly the set as I remember it - not 100% accurate

Motherless Child
Disgusted
Jambalaya
Happy Woman Blues
Hard Road
Sharp Cutting Wings
Big Red Sun Blues
Crescent City
Sweet Old World
Pineola
Drunken Angel
Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Still I Long for Your Kiss
Steal Your Love
Essence
Righteously
Real Life Bleeding Fingers
Come On
Joy
Honey Bee
Long Way to the Top
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

She had that notebook last time I saw her in Knoxville. And reading glasses. She messed up at the start of one song that night, and you could feel the entire audience holding its breath and expecting drama, but then the collective good will seemed to hit her and she laughed it off. It was a really singular experience. Sounds like you had one too!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Durutti Column at the new and impressive King's Place venue near King's Cross. Been a fan since the first LP back in 1980, 29 years later I get to see him. The show was essentially the new LP A Paean to Wilson, with another track as encore. The CD was on sale for the first time at the event, so bought it, includes a bonus CD. Nice. None of the early 80s classics, sadly, but then the new stuff was very good. Vini/Durutti was the first act signed to Factory and Tony Wilson was a close friend of his, famously opposed to his tuneless singing. Accordingly, the 'paean' (a word you don't see often') stemmed from a piece Vini wrote for the dying Tony, and avoided any vocals.

Pretty much my favourite guitarist alongside Johnny Marr, I could listen to Vini forever. Great to finally see his quirky, stick thin self, with a superb band including the viola player John Metcalfe, curator of the festival of which this was the highlight, and a very good trumpeter, as well as Dururtti regular and Manchester legend Bruce Mitchell on drums.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Two dates with the Mrs. in one week-I am acting like a grownup free of kids at home-took in my brother-in-law at a little cafe/club called Cafe Oscar last evening on McDougal St. just around the corner of Prince St.-he really worked his beloved Gibson L5- he has a regular Sunday night gig there with a bassist, Debbie Kennedy, the sister of the violinist, Nigel Kennedy-they added a second guitarist last night, a Chris Kaiser, with whom I was unfamiliar-a nice evening of counterpoint as they worked through a reportoire of standards by Gershwin, Mercer and Arlen with a little Jobim thrown in for his sister-Debbie has a pleasing voice adding vocals to several of the songs including spot on Portugese-what made the evening even more special was the chance to bring their aunt who is 83 to see him perform-turned out I was just around the corner from my brother's old place on Charleton St-also think I now know the definition of 'gig'.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Went to see Wilco last night at the historic Massey Hall. They're in town for two sold out shows before embarking on something of a cross-Canada tour that will see them playing a free show in Vancouver for the Winter Olympics in January, as well as random places like Saskatoon.

This was my third time seeing Wilco. I saw them in 2001, when Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was done and brilliant but hadn't been released yet due to record label drama. More recently, I saw them in December of last year opening for Neil Young.

Although I've been a Wilco fan for more than ten years at this point, I have to say they are a band that keeps getting better. The current lineup of Mikael Jorgensen, John Stirratt, Glenn Kotche, Pat Sansone, Nels Cline and Jeff Tweedy is probably the best they've had. They are a strong group of musicians that gel very, very well together.

The set list:

1. Wilco (The Song)
2. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
3. Bull Black Nova
4. You Are My Face
5. One Wing
6. A Shot In The Arm
7. Either Way
8. Impossible Germany
9. I'll Fight
10. Handshake Drugs
11. Pot Kettle Black
12. How To Fight Loneliness
13. Jesus, Etc.
14. Hate It Here
15. Theologians
16. I'm The Man Who Loves You

Encore:

17. Heavy Metal Drummer
18. You Never Know
19. Can't Stand It
20. Walken
21. Monday
22. Outtasite (Outta Mind)
23. Hoodoo Voodoo
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

We went and saw Nick Lowe last night at the Narrows in Fall River - great place 280 capacity and they let you bring in your own food and drink - impressive sound. Bill Kirchen opened up and was fantastic - ended with Hot Rod Lincoln in which he inserted licks from everyone - Venutres, Link Wray, Don Rich, Merle Travis, Merle Haggard, Earl Scruggs, Johnny Rivers, Eric Clapton, Albert King, BB King, The King, Billie Jean King, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Stones, Beatles, Cream, Hendrix and even whipped out a verse of his old high school classmate Iggy Pop's - I Wanna Be Your Dog - he joined Nick later on for I Knew the Bride...

Nick, of course, was all class and in fine voice. He used the same accoustic gibson througout the whole show - and did a decent mix of old and more recent songs - all kind of in the style of the last three albums. Highlight for me was I Live on a Battlefield - I Trained Her to Love Me was great too. He left the audience yelling for more even after the lights and house music came on.

People Change
Ragin' Eyes
What's Shakin' on the Hill
Long Limbed Girl
All Men Are Liars
Lately I've Let Things Slide
Heart
When I Write the Book
Has She Got A Friend?
Cruel to be Kind
I Read A Lot
I Live on a Battlefield
I Trained Her to Love Me
Rome Wasn't Built in a Day
Without Love
I Knew The Bride
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?

Encore:
Soulful Wind
The Beast in Me
Seven Nights to Rock
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

You went and saw? Next you'll be 'fixin' to'. :D

Sounds like a wonderful evening, and I am green with envy.