Elvis awarded with GQ's Outstanding Achievement Award 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis awarded with GQ's Outstanding Achievement Award 2009

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.gqmagazine.co.uk/men_of_the_ ... -ache.aspx

From punk poet to 2009 bluegrass master via four decades of rock, R&B, ballet and country, he's the consummate musical polymath and arguably the world's finest songwriter. Recently described by Timemagazine as the greatest songwriter in the English language, it only seems fitting that GQ has awarded him the GQ Outstanding Achievement Award 2009.

"At one point, my life was much more complicated than the most inaccurate and sensationalised versions that have been printed."

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis awarded with GQ's Outstanding Achievement Award 2009

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There's supposed to be an interview with EC in the next British GQ magazine, on sale September 10.

And "GQRecommends" posted this on Twitter, which I guess is a teaser for the article:
Elvis Costello outlines his incredible work schedule for next year and confirms he really is the hardest working musician alive
http://twitter.com/GQRecommends/status/3849129574
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... pants.html
Elvis Costello was handed an award for outstanding achievement by surprise guest Jermaine Jackson.
Jackson said the songwriter's career has spanned 33 years and 36 albums and his industry was matched only by his ''imagination, innovation and peerless musical instincts''.

Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Very nice for Elvis. A lovely award, I'm sure. I look forward to reading the article when the magazine comes out--and I don't wish to detract from it or change the subject or be a black cloud or anything...

But seriously--exactly how skinny is Elvis supposed to get before people stop saying he looks fantastic and start saying something doesn't seem right? In the he photos posted above, he looks almost 1977 skinny. I can see he has a big smile--he seems very happy lately and obviously he continues his usual break-neck pace of touring, recording, traveling, fathering, etc. Maybe it's all good, but I'm uneasy about it---seems like he must travel with a full-time tailor because his suits need to be taken in weekly. He must have lost almost 100 lbs in the past year and he looks like he aged 10 years. Maybe that's just the mustache--or maybe he no longer has the extra fat layer to plump up the wrinkles, but it's a huge change in a short span of time. I just hope that amid all the other million things he does he takes a moment here and there to take care of his own health. Or at least has some people around him (manager? wife?) who look after him properly.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I was just thinking the same thing.
He's lost a lot weight in the last couple of months but I don't think he looks too well at all.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Isn't it nice for Elvis to get an award in the UK.
I agree with him having lost too much weight though. Lets hope he isn't ill.
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

He looks pretty darn good IMO; much better than the pix of him on the beach with D&D&F. Good for Dec (and well done to DK for getting him in the gym at long last!).
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

He looks good. Yeah, it was that beach photo. I could use one of those beach photos to motivate me. Maybe we all need one of those photos. Shoot, I guess I should turn on this juicer.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I vote with the "motivation" group-has to keep up energy for those twins-has me thinking I need to hit the gym-do not want to believe it is illness-how could he keep up such a schedule if that were the case?-besides is it not an award from "GQ"?-needs to look good in the suits although I might ditch the monocromatic look in favor of the scarves and exotic hats he has taken to sporting.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Funny I was thinking the same about that beach photo, he saw that and thought.. "that's gotta go". He deserves another award for slimmer of the year. A bit too radical though, hope he's ok.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I think he looks fine - it's just that he's lost so much weight this year, it's a bit of a shock. If he'd stayed at his 1977 weight for the past 30-odd years, no-one would comment. No one seems to mind Ron Wood and Keef Richards being slim (Although admittedly they do like a pair of Skesises (Skeses?) from The Dark Crystal). But because they always have, it's not alarming that they still are that slim.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

I think he looks fine - it's just that he's lost so much weight this year, it's a bit of a shock. If he'd stayed at his 1977 weight for the past 30-odd years, no-one would comment. No one seems to mind Ron Wood and Keef Richards being slim (Although admittedly they do like a pair of Skesises (Skeses?) from The Dark Crystal). But because they always have, it's not alarming that they still are that slim.
Neil--
You make an excellent point. And certainly the fatness had to go--unhealthy, uncool, etc. If he's been "hitting the gym"--good! He needed to. But now, even his hat looks too big on his head and it's freaking me out a little bit. I just wish him happiness and good health--and surely if he were really ill he couldn't keep the kind of schedule he does, as Christopher S. mentioned.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Perhaps Diana has a Woody Allen thing and is trying to make one for herself.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

And No Coffee Table wrote:There's supposed to be an interview with EC in the next British GQ magazine, on sale September 10.

And "GQRecommends" posted this on Twitter, which I guess is a teaser for the article:
Elvis Costello outlines his incredible work schedule for next year and confirms he really is the hardest working musician alive
http://twitter.com/GQRecommends/status/3849129574
The interview does not appear to be on GQ's website. Has anyone in Britain seen the magazine?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Has anyone in the UK picked up the magazine yet?

Red carpet footage : http://www.gqmagazine.co.uk/men_of_the_ ... -2009.aspx (Elvis is at 0:05 and 1:50)

Backstage footage: http://www.gqmagazine.co.uk/men_of_the_ ... ghts-.aspx (Elvis is at 2:59)

Backstage talk: http://www.gqmagazine.co.uk/men_of_the_ ... ossip.aspx
Yoko Ono to Elvis Costello: "You look ten years younger..."
Mickey Rourke and Elvis Costello, overheard talking about - Willie Nelson?!

What's so funny? Aaron Johnson and Sam Taylor-Wood pose with Lifetime Achievement winner Elvis Costello.

Elvis and Mickey Rourke.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
scielle

Post by scielle »

sweetest punch wrote:
What's so funny? Aaron Johnson and Sam Taylor-Wood pose with Lifetime Achievement winner Elvis Costello.
Can't wait to see her Lennon biopic. Closing the London film fest at end of Oct.

That interviewer they've got needs to be shot.
scielle

Post by scielle »

sweetest punch wrote:Has anyone in the UK picked up the magazine yet?
It's a fairly extensive piece - even quoting Dec's mum.

Among other things, we learn that EC has a significant role in Treme, David Simon's follow up to The Wire, that he almost died of pneumonia at age 8, and that there's another piano-only version of North, recorded entirely with EC playing Errol Garner's old piano.

Oh, and he now "works out every morning".

Here's more about Treme:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treme_(TV_series)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

John would have been all over this by now. I think there's a copy over in the shop, I'll do a few scans tomorrow.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Is he on the cover? I remember he was around the time of Brutal Youth.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Man, I hate to say this but the 'tache needs to go. Otherwise EC is looking fit and trim.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Previously, I have defended the mustache but perhaps I was wrong. Maybe that is what's making Elvis look so old and frail and un-Elvisy. I still think he looks too thin (for me, Brutal Youth-era Elvis looks healthiest, size-wise), but his health must actually be incredibly robust--that maniacal work schedule would kill any one of us in about a week. It would certainly kill me, anyway.

But I remain really eager to read this interview in GQ. Can any of you nice people across the pond post the text? If so, thanks very much in advance.
krm

Post by krm »

naaaaaeeeh. Thin yes. but healthy ....not sure. He looked "old" when I saw him in Tokyo recently on Summersonic.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's a zip file of scans of the mag feature.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjotmfymmy4
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Wow! That was just great! Thank you very much, Martin.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks for posting this Martin but does anybody have access to this in anything other than an .rar file? :P