Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Re: Recently viewed films

Post by mood swung »

Hmm. I'm curious to hear what other females think re: Rev Rd. Honestly, I wanted to slap both of them.

I liked Man on a Wire quite a bit as well. But what has he done since? :lol: Actually, I'm sort of serious - that young man who just became the youngest person to sail solo around the world said in an interview (something to the effect of) I've accomplished my greatest goal, what else is left? Which struck me as pretty sad, him being all of 17 or so.

Otis, you have a warped world view, I believe. I'd rent that movie, though.

I have A Haunting in Connecticut and I'm scared to watch!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
A rope leash

All drunk and butting in....\

Post by A rope leash »

I recently viewed The Libertine.

If you want to understand A rope leash, watch this movie. Johnny Depp and shit.

WatchedTommy last night. I'm all man, but Daltry is quite an idol. Built like a man should be...not overbuilt.

Ann-Margaret. O yeah...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Ann-Margaret even makes CC & Company worth watching.

And speaking of Johnny Depp, I went and saw Public Enemies last week. Historically inaccurate to the point of distraction and despite that, not a very good film. I was so impressed with the book and thought Bryan Burrough (the author) must have been bullshit at the screenplay. So I googled him and saw him on the red carpet, happier than a puupy rolling in bird shit, hanging out with the screenwriter - must have been some payday for him. I don't mind so much getting the cars wrong, or the Senate hearing happening about 3 years too soon, but they have the public enemies (Floyd, Nelson, Dillinger) dying in the wrong order. Defeated the whole point, the purpose of the book was to clear up the misconceptions that had been perpetrated somewhat by Hollywood in the first place.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Has anybody seen 'Bronson'? To me it was a nice surprise and much less annoying than expected. Great soundtrack too - just downloaded Digital Verticolor with Glass Candy. Works brilliant in the movie and its got a kind of Clockwork Orange-vibe to it.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
carriestar44

Post by carriestar44 »

Bruno, now that was over the top. If you thought Borat was over the top, you are in for a shocker rofl. Really funny stuff though
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Inglourious Basterds

Quentin's latest is paid-previewing here this weekend . Gorgeous visuals are let down by weak charcterisation and leaden pace. And lots of subtitles. I didn't mind them but others clearly did. Lots of blood 'n violence but not shocking since there was no emotional involvement. The re-cycling of old Morricone cues ( some sequences clearly cut to suit same) is embarrassing after a while , the evoked memories emphasising how lame this film is. A waste of a lot of talent.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

My aversion to "Inglorious Bastards" is the apparant making of a sympathetic nazi- I am going to have trouble working up an interest in this film-saw a small film last night with my wife at home- a rental- "The Great Buck Howard"- a small, delicate little comedy with John Malkovich, Colin Hanks, Emily Blunt and Steve Zahn-it is a well done piece on celebrityhood and some people's need to maintain it along with that old goody- find your place in life for it is short and you really want to do something you truly enjoy-it is well handled by all and Malkavich is a joy as a has been Mentalist[based on the late 'Amazin Kreskin'] whose claim to fame is having appeared 61 times on the Johnny Carson show but never in the last 10 years of the program. It is bittersweet and fresh- Colin's father has a bit part-playing his dad- a good job by all.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Took my family to see "District 9" last night while all the girls were home-enjoyed this intelligent, well constructed fable. Not always a big fan of science fiction but this one is funny and smart at the same time- liked the way the narrative was told in real time mixing in newsreel footage and hindsignt commentary- it is violent-I admire the mixture of compurter animation with real life action- it was seamless- the riff on aparthied is thought provoking and rings true as the action takes place in South Africa and the director is South African, as well.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Saw Inglorious Basterds last weekend. Marvelous.

Just put in my choices for the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival. If I have my way, I'll be seeing the newest films by Joel & Ethan Coen (A Serious Man), Michael Moore (Capitalism: A Love Story), Ricky Gervais & Matthew Robinson (The Invention of Lying) and Francois Ozon (Le Refuge).
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Saw the new Almodóvar Los Abrazos Rotos / Broken Embraces on its opening night. Wonderful stuff. Followed all of his films, especially when I lived in Spain and Women on the Verge... was all the rage, but, among my general failure to get to the cinema in recent years, have not kept up with his recent ones inc. Volver. Very accomplished (lovely cinematography, and some remarkable Lanzarote volcanic landscape). Typically melodramatic story, but engrossing and affecting too. Penélope Cruz is stunningly gorgeous and glorious in it and very good with it. Loads of wit about it. Apparently some critics have found fault with the fact that the comedy being made in the film, central to the story, is based to a large extent on the abovementioned i]Women on the Verge...[/i], as if it was overly indulgent, or self-referential. That's the whole joke, you fools! I loved the way it mixed the film flashback with Almodóvar's own flashback. The sleeping pills in the gazpacho, etc. Entirely recommended, and making me realise I must catch up on all his films I've missed, as well as returning to the early classics too.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:My aversion to "Inglorious Bastards" is the apparant making of a sympathetic nazi- .
Inglourious Basterds is masterful. The reference to is "leaden pace" is one way to describe brilliant character and plot development. Sadly, so many visit the cinema looking for the same thing that they seek in medication...a quick fix, no real investment. And "poor characterizations"? ...no idea what that means.

Re: the comment excised from Christophers message above..who is the "sympathetic Nazi"??? This isn't a remake of "Hogans Hero's". Every Nazi characterized in the film is a reprehensible, repugnant butthole with no redeeming qualities. Scratching my head as I have seen it twice now and for the life of me can't find a sympathetic Nazi in the bunch. Tarantino is unrelenting and, if anything, seems to be fighting those revisionists who would like to rewrite history and make todays youth believe that the Holocaust never happened.

Imagery and Screenplay is STUNNING
Christoph Waltz turns in an award winning performance
On first screening, Brad Pitt was fluff. On second screening, his role was seen as more significant and less comical
Great story line that ironically fixes the cinema and film as the ultimate undoing of the German Reich, known for its need to carefully document the Pan-germanic race in film.
Metaphors abound. Good ones.

Great film.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Jack of All Parades

Don't think I could infer Hogan's Heroes[a reprehensible show] from my statement-the character I reference is the one played by Christoph Waltz-SS Colonel Landa-all the reviews I have read or watched of the movie make a point of stating that this is a polite, unctious, "flirtatious" character -"an insinuating menace"-I take a very hard stand when it comes to this extremely tragic moment of history-to make it a farce is hard for me to stomach.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I'm a little worried about seeing the movie for no other reason than . . . Brad Pitt. I've never thought he was much of an actor.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Don't think I could infer Hogan's Heroes[a reprehensible show] from my statement-the character I reference is the one played by Christoph Waltz-SS Colonel Landa-all the reviews I have read or watched of the movie make a point of stating that this is a polite, unctious, "flirtatious" character -"an insinuating menace"-I take a very hard stand when it comes to this extremely tragic moment of history-to make it a farce is hard for me to stomach.

Clearly you did not see the film. If you saw the fiulm you saw that Landa was a self absorbed, sick, heinous murderer who needed to docuemnt his greatness by his reputation as "the Jew Hunter". Show me a single review (and you won't unless it's from a high school paper or a skinhead Neo-Nazi organization group) that characterizes him as a sweet flirtatious sympathetic Jew. Clearly, you did not see the movie. Let me put it in perspective, and I hope the brilliant Bluechair has the courage to weigh in on a film that can protect futire societies from the same genocidal, master race mentality held by Landa -

1. In the first scene he terrorizes a french family and murders a family of four jews, defenseless, hidingunder the floor boards of a tiny farmhouse. He allows Soshanna to go free for one reason - to tell others of the horror of "the Jew Hunter"

2. In the second scene in which he appears he terrorizes a young cinema owner, leaving her breathless with fear (certain facts omitted to not spoil the film)

3. In a third scene he murders a german woman after terrorizing her

4. in a fourth scene he delights in building his legacy further as the most vicious and expert Jew hunter and killer of the third reich

Help me out, dude. This movie may be one of the most important films Ihave seen in the last 25 years. Before you comment (using an Obama term) "stupidly" please don't dissuade others from seeing a film that can both enteryain and through art and metaphor keep the sick history of the holocaust real for those who would distort the truth.

-
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Jack of All Parades

Mr. Average-this has clearly struck a nerve with you-I never made the claim to have seen the film nor did I write that the character is a "sweet flirtatious sympathetic Jew" as I do believe he is a nazi colonel, if you read clearly my comments-nor do I intend to see the movie but that is a personal choice and is in no way intended to keep others from viewing should they choose-to infer that my moral choices or opinions are formed "stupidly" is harsh and a judgement that I find unsupportable based upon my simple comments relating to a character in the film-as to supporting the quotes sighted in my post-I reference you to reviews of the film by Manohla Dargis in the NY Times, David Denby in The New Yorker, the review in Slate Magazine for starters-hardly High School papers-this movie's subject matter will never be an easy one for thinking people like yourself or me-it is too fraught with minefields.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, intense. I saw GI Joe this weekend. It was surprisingly coherent, at least compared to the last action extravaganza I saw - the latest Transformers movie.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

hahahaha.

wow. gi joe. it would never occur to me to go see gi joe. how does one end up in gi joe. i can't even tell what it is. not me. i'm an intellectual, so i just paid 3 bucks for a low budget theater late showing of Star Trek!! and it was fab!! i hope the brilliant bluechair wazes in on this.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I do want to see the new Star Trek. I think I've missed the 2nd run. Oh well, there's always the dvd. When our satellite got fried by lightning, and we had NO TV!!!!, we had a Star Trek VHS marathon. My fave is the one where they have to bring the whales back and Spock has to swear. The hell you say!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

that would be Star Trek IV, Can I Bum Your Humpback For a Few Centuries. well THIS time spock looks about a million and the other spock gets to fool around with uhuru in her mini.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Jack of All Parades

Went out on a real date last night with the Mrs.-went to the local arty movie house and saw a showing of "Bright Star" the new Jane Campion film about the relationship between John Keats and Fanny Brawne- I know I have scoffed on another post about this film but only in regard to the advertising campaign done for the film-in truth it is a well done and shot film about two lovers-the period detail is exquisite as people are dirty and not fussily gussied up like in fake historical films- the rooms are cramped and half lit-but most importantly it wisely puts focus on a small period in Keat's all too short life- the few years he had with Fanny in Hempstead-not that there have been too many movies about poetsbut this one gets it right I think intelligently mixing in the poetry with everyday life-it catches that Annus Mirabilis that Keats had with Fanny as a sort of muse-I really liked the performance by Abbie Cornish as Fanny-my infatuation with Keats is multifaceted- he is the first great English poet who came out of the lower class[unless you count Shakespeare and do not subscribe to the theory that someone else did the writing]-for the most part self educated-his body of work is so extraordinary and I am still repulsed by the viciousness of the critics of his time to his work-his accomplished sonnets and odes and lyrics are a constant source of fun for me-just last night I had a chance to quote him as the local temperature dippped to freezing and I could recite the lines from "The Eve of St. Agnes" 'Ah! bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a -cold: the Hare limp'd trembling through the frozen grass,and silent was the flock in woolly fold: numb were the Beadsman's fingers while he told his roasry, and while his frosted breath,like pious incense from a censer old, Seem'd taking flight for heaven, without a death'- David Denby is right he is the next great poet following Shakespeare and Milton-

I have rambled on enough- warming fresh apple pie beckons from the Mrs. -apples freshly picked at a local orchard [Macouns and Jonna macs] and as another poet says 'But I am done with apple-picking now. Essence of winter sleep is on the night, The scent of apples: I am drowsing off.'
Jack of All Parades

Watched a DVD of Adventureland the other night with the Mrs.- not a big one for the newer generational comedies usually but this one was different- a sweet comedy about insecure college age young adults in Pittsburgh during the '80s-I thought the two leads, Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart were terrific in capturing the awkwardness and vulnerability that young adults can possess around one another- the ancillary cast was good as well and supported the story-I also liked the soundtrack as it featured music of the time including Nick Lowe and INXS along with being bookended by two well chosen Replacements songs[ "Bastards of Young" and "Unsatisfied"]-it even had some beautiful usage of Lou Reed's "Pale Blue Eyes" in several scenes reminding me of how effective that song is- even the obligatory sex scene was well positioned and had a real purpose in the film-truly did enjoy this movie.
Otis Westinghouse

Can't beat 'Pale Blue Eyes'. 'Skip a life completely/Stuff it in a cup...'

Went to see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, the new Gilliam film, though probably more likely to be known as the last Heath Ledger film. Totally over the top Gilliam spectacle based on the Faust myth. The two young actors Lily Cole (better known as a supermodel who is currently right here in Cambridge as an undergrad having got a first at the end of year 1 of her degree, amazing doll-like face, tall and leggy) and Andrew Garfield (excellent in Red Riding on the telly are both very good. Heath Ledger first appears hanging and near dead, ironically, and is played by Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell in the scenes shot after he died, which actually works quite well in the narrative as they're all set through the mirror in imaginationland. And of course Tom Waits plays a chainsmoking, dapper devil with gusto. The whole thing is overblown and far from perfect, but good fun and worth it for the above performances.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I enjoyed the Gilliam film immensely. I thought Christopher Plummer was very good as well.
signed with love and vicious kisses
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

A Serious Man, the Coen brother's latest film, is odd and funny. The central family is your typical suburban Jewish family of the 1960s. Viewing this film helps if you are Jewish. It's one part Fargo and one part 'Pourtney's Complaint'.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Totally enjoyed An Education, based on Lynn Barber's (interviewer journalist) memoir about growing up in Twickenham, and falling for an older suave bloke at the age of 17 when she's meant to be swotting for Oxford. Totally captured the feel of the time, the stultifying confomity of suburbia and the racy otherness of this older chap who has her conservative parents around his little finger in no time. Alfred Molina is brilliant as the dad as is Carey Mulligan in the lead part (last saw her in Bleak House on the telly.

As John will tell you, this was ELvis's neck of the woods at the same time, though Lynn B was 17 in '62, so some 9 years older.

Highly recommended.