Elvis and The Sugarcanes, Kettering, OH, 27 Aug 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and The Sugarcanes, Kettering, OH, 27 Aug 2009

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis and The Sugarcanes, Kettering, OH, 27 Aug 2009

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.daytondailynews.com/entertai ... 77180.html

Fraze adds Costello, Winter to summer lineup

By Laura Dempsey
Friday, April 10, 2009

(extract)

KETTERING — The Ides of March, featuring Jim Peterik and Edgar Winter, and Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes are among the new acts added to Kettering’s Fraze Pavilion’s summer lineup. Additionally, Pollstar.com is reporting that Randy Travis has scheduled a Fraze show for Friday, Aug. 14, though no ticket information has been released.

• Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes

Thursday, Aug. 27, 8 p.m.

Tickets $50 pavilion/orchestra; $30 lawn/terrace, on sale 9 a.m. April 25. Limit four tickets per person, first day of sale.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Vern pots to listerv-

We in Kettering got a set very similar to the Ravinia one, but which was
slightly abbreviated by rain. No Alison, no PLU. But it was a great show.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Yes, it was a bit of a concertus interruptus in Kettering.

The set and the feel of the show has changed a bit since the shows I saw in June. There's more of a rock and roll feel to it and less of the ballads. I noticed beforehand that he had dropped "I Felt the Chill" and "Our Little Angel" from the recent shows. In Kettering, he even skipped over "She Handed Me A Mirror" (something that may spark applause in some quarters, but I love that song). The crowd was a little peculiar in the front, the front row was dominated by folks who kept going for beers, dancing unsteadily, and putting their tall necked bottles on the stage. They showed up late and then they went for many many beer runs. Elvis even mentioned one of the younger guys in this group, during the intro to "She Was No Good", joking that the musicians on the Jenny Lind tour, and even the audience members, might have downed a few glasses at times, hard as that might be to believe, and joking that "this fella down here just had his first beer". There was no security whatsoever, so folks were just walking to the front of the stage and pointing their camera of choice at the band and taking pictures. One woman took pictures and then went to each side of the front row, facing the crowd and exhorting them to do something, I think just yell their affection for Elvis. Aside from her, these folks weren't really obnoxious, but I think Elvis got the feeling he should keep the train rolling pretty fast and not try to go back to any ballads. At one point, when they were revved up, he grabbed his guitar and tried to start "Mystery Dance", and broke the strings in his rush. He held it up, and said, "Little Hands of Concrete."

Anyway there was a 90 minute set, highlights were Don't Lie to Me, which was a lot of fun, and a chance for all the 'Canes to solo; and Poisoned Rose, which was tremendous with Dennis Crouch doing some fine work on the bass. Then they were 23 minutes into the first encore. Rain had started falling, bringing more folks down into the first few rows, which were covered. They were an enthusiastic bunch, probably the best call and response chorus I've heard this tour. "NOT FADE AWAY!!" "RED SHOES!" "HAPPY"!" They sang 'em all. I figured EC was going to have to keep doing the fast ones, and maybe "Red Cotton" would not get played. But as he was halfway through "Happy", his mike suddenly went out, as did the band's. Suddenly they were in the background and the crowd singing "HAPPY"!" were the loud ones. Everyone started to look confused, and then Milo, the stage manager, walked around a bit and gave EC a signal indicating they'd been cut off.
EC finished the song, said goodnight and they went off. The roadies started tearing down the set! The crowd booed. Elvis came back out and informed us that a storm was coming and the pavillion had cut them off, fearing for the crowd's safety. I guess they were worried about lightning? So what does "Rain or Shine" mean on the tix??? EC said they'd play the rest of the songs the next time they came through town.

Anyway so just as the encores were really cooking, it got cut off flat. Of course as we filed out there was no rain, distant thunder, distant lightning. They could have finished the show....oh well. At least I got to talk to Elvis afterwards, and tell him I sent him the DVD he's been talking about onstage...but that's another story...

setlist....approximately...

01 Mystery Train
02 All Time Doll
03 Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
04 Down Among The Wines And Spirits
05 Blame It On Cain
06 Femme Fatale
07 The Delivery Man
08 Butcher Boy
09 Indoor Fireworks
10 Hidden Shame
11 Condemned Man
12 Friend Of The Devil
13 Poisoned Rose
14 Everyday I Write The Book
15 Don't Lie To Me
16 Complicated Shadows
17 She Was No Good
18 Brilliant Mistake
19 Sulphur To Sugarcane
20 Mystery Dance
21 Five Small Words/Not Fade Away
22 Red Shoes
23 Happy
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Listening to the recording, the gig does indeed end very abruptly. Pulling the plug on the band is a real insult both to the band and the paying public..I would be outraged. Surprisingly, Elvis appears to take it surprisingly well, even making apologies for the person or organisation responsible. (I don't hear any other announcement or explanation) It seems like there was a public safety issue, but surely this could have been handled better. Why weren't the band advised before returning for the encore? Sounds like the work of some officious fuckwit with a big hat. With no notion of music, rationality, or common decency let alone public safety.