EC to release Secret, Profane and Sugarcane

Pretty self-explanatory
pophead2k

Re: EC to release Secret, Profane and Sugarcane

Post by pophead2k »

El remains in the Top 10 at Amazon music (US) at number 8, and is number ONE in the singer/songwriter and adult contemporary category!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Number three in country charts: http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/artic ... ?id=342351

Elvis Costello has debuted at number three on the chart this week with his country album Secret, Profane Sugarcane.

The title refers to Costello's unfinished work, The Secret Songs, for the Royal Danish Opera about the life of Hans Christian Andersen.

Perfectly Clear, the first country album by American songstress Jewel, has debuted at number seven.

Taylor Swift still sits at the top of the chart with Fearless for the 12th week running and Keith Urban is still Defying Gravity at number two.

1(1) Fearless - Taylor Swift (UMA) 2(2) Defying Gravity - Keith Urban (CPT/EMI) 3(-) Secret, Profane Sugarcane - Elvis Costello (CONC/UMA) 4(3) Cowboy Town - Brooks Dunn (ARI/SME) 5(4) I Love This Place - Troy Cassar-Daley (LIB/UMA) 6(5) So Country - 2009 Various (SME) 7(-) Perfectly Clear - Jewel (BIG/UMA) 8(8) The Greatest Hits Collection - Brooks Dunn (ARI/SME) 9(7) Greatest Hits: 18 Kids - Keith Urban (CAP/EMI) 10(6) Greatest Hits II - Kenny Chesney (SME)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://winkscollectibles.blogspot.com/2 ... -2009.html

Falling off the British Album chart after only one week is Elvis Costello's Secret, Profane and Sugarcane. :(
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sect ... 037980&c=1

Friday June 19, 2009

U.S. charts
By Alan Jones

(extract)

Elvis Costello
remains the highest ranked UK act on the chart, with Secret, Profane & Sugarcane falling 13-23 (16,000 sales)
John

Post by John »

Elvis has fallen from 13 to 23 and now 33 on the Billboard chart. I think he must be delighted with the sales of this album. Normally he would have been well outside the chart by now. If only he could regain some sort of presence over here where he is completely invisible and has been since The Delivery Man's release. Besides a few seconds clip of Complicated Shadows on the One Show several weeks ago has anyone in the UK actually heard any of this album on radio or tv? It used to be almost impossible to avoid Elvis when he had a new record out. Oh well.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

John wrote:Elvis has fallen from 13 to 23 and now 33 on the Billboard chart. I think he must be delighted with the sales of this album. Normally he would have been well outside the chart by now. If only he could regain some sort of presence over here where he is completely invisible and has been since The Delivery Man's release. Besides a few seconds clip of Complicated Shadows on the One Show several weeks ago has anyone in the UK actually heard any of this album on radio or tv? It used to be almost impossible to avoid Elvis when he had a new record out. Oh well.

Mark Lamarr on Radio 2 has played a couple of tracks on his God's Jukebox show. But not a mention anywhere else. Imagine if one of the 'pop stars' over here, Robbie Williams, Oasis, Leona Lewis even Susan Boyle had an album go in at 13 in the US charts it would be all over "Bizarre" and the other show biz section of the tabloids
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Third week on the Album chart, still at number 33!! I am amazed at the fact that he has stayed up there in the top 40 albums for three weeks. I know the chart ain't what it used to be, but still!
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Jonas Brothers effect?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I reckon it's due to the track 'Sulphur To Sugarcane' being used to plug the album - it's very immediate, with the humour and hooky melody. Don't know what people buying it on the strength of that will think of the more challenging tracks. Still, all success for our man is good, in my books. Hope his profile gets higher and higher!
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

sweetest punch wrote:Number three in country charts: http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/artic ... ?id=342351

Elvis Costello has debuted at number three on the chart this week with his country album Secret, Profane Sugarcane.
That must be the Australian country chart. Apparently it didn't make the Australian Top 50 though - unless it proves to be a late boomer.

Here are some other chart results for SP&S:

Belgium Top 50: #39 - weeks on chart: 2

Sweden Top 60: #45 - weeks on chart: 1

UK Top 75: #71 - weeks on chart: 1

Spain Top 100: #90 - weeks on chart: 1

World Top 40: #30 - weeks on chart: 1

Billboard Canadian Albums: #13 - still currently on the chart at #21

Billboard US Rock Albums: #8 - still currently on the chart at #9

Billboard US Modern Alternative/Rock: #7 - still currently on the chart at #8

Billboard US Tastemakers: #7 - first week on this chart

Billboard US Top Digital Albums: #10 - first week on this chart

Billboard Top Internet Albums: #8 - still currently on the chart at #11

Elvis' only chart appearances in the UK this decade are for SP&S (#71), The Delivery Man (#73) and a re-entry for "The Very Best of" which reached #27 about three weeks before the release of The Delivery Man in 2004. "The Very Best Of" originally reached #4 in 1999.

To keep this UK chart performance in perspective, I might add that Paul McCartney's last excellent album (as the Fireman) "Electric Arguments" failed to the make the UK Top 75. It also only got to #67 in the US. So Elvis outdid Paul McCartney!
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just got my vinyl copy (at last) with Femme Fatale and What Lewis Did. Just a minor quibble but, like Momofuku, what is the point in putting a single album out over 2 discs ? - at least with an "old-fashioned" album you got a continuity (not quite like CD admittedly) but the effect of having to turn the vinyl over after 3 songs seems to break the spell just a little bit - and I can't believe that the quality of the pressing requires a maximum of 3 tracks per side - remember the quote about 10 tracks per side on Get Happy ??
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

sulky lad wrote:Just got my vinyl copy (at last) with Femme Fatale and What Lewis Did. Just a minor quibble but, like Momofuku, what is the point in putting a single album out over 2 discs ? - at least with an "old-fashioned" album you got a continuity (not quite like CD admittedly) but the effect of having to turn the vinyl over after 3 songs seems to break the spell just a little bit - and I can't believe that the quality of the pressing requires a maximum of 3 tracks per side - remember the quote about 10 tracks per side on Get Happy ??
The only annoying thing about the vinyl to me is that it was not pressed on 180g vinyl. I'm used to flipping the discs over.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Excerpt of an account of Diana's show in Ann Arbor last night, posted on the DK forum:
She said that she had been to three cities that day, including Detroit and Ypsilanti. She described Ypsilanti as the town where "the girls don't wear panties," which was a line from one of Elvis' songs. "Did you know there's actually an Ypsilanti panty company?" she asked the audience. She said that company keeps sending her panties. "Stop already!" she added.

She told some stories about life on the road with two-and-a-half-year-olds and how they like to jump off furniture and how she's gotten hit in the forehead with sippy cups. She joked that she carries paint with her -- in a neutral color -- so she can touch up the hotel rooms after staying there with her kids. She said right now the boys are in New York with Elvis
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Elvis is at #46 on the Billboard Chart, four weeks in Top 50 !!

By the way, anyone knows which of Elvis' albums stayed longest in Top 100 ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollogrady.com/amoeba-and-wa ... sellers-2/

Top 10 Sellers
As of June 22nd
Amoeba Records - Hollywood

1.) Elvis Costello - Secret Profane & Sugarcane
2.) Mars Volta - Octahedron
3.) Michael Jackson - Essential Michael Jackson
4.) Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
5.) Michael Jackson - Thriller
6.) Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
7.) Mos Def - Ecstatic
8.) Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
9.) Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
10.) Regina Spector - Far
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow - Elvis outsells Michael Jackson.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Fifth week on the Billboard Top 200 and still at 46! Incredible!!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

UM, actually it appears he's dropped out of the top 100 in this fifth week. Don't know where the record is in the next 100. Still, four weeks in the top 50 was pretty impressive!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hi from Nice , France .

Taking a break from getting roasted on the beach here ( where I'm going to see U2 tomorrow) I spot Elvis' name on the cover of a magazine cover disc -

http://www.rocknfolk.com/site/accueil.php

Complicated Shadows is featured.

http://www.rocknfolk.com/site/etoilesdumois.php

Secret.... gets a 4 star review.

Right , back to the beach where the costume code is strictly minimal to non-existant....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Is John getting roasted in foil (haha teenage humour here !) :oops:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's an excellent LP to have wafting from the house on a summer's evening with a barbecue and lots of booze. Sounded better than ever this way on Sunday.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

It also served me well on a long solo drive through the mountains of North Carolina a few weeks ago.
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

i still can't find a satisfying use for it.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
imarcopolo

Post by imarcopolo »

I'd forgotten this was due to be released. I have to admit, it does sound great.

However, I am intrigued as to why amazon.co.uk isn't selling the CD at all. They have the download copy of the album and there are some sellers who are selling it themselves, but no proper CD copy.

Was this part of the deal with Starbucks (aka Hear Music) or just Amazon not playing ball?

Thanks
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This charity store find this morning in Dublin shows SPS did get some promo activity, even if it is a mere step up from CDR.