This is a Nick Cave song!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
faithfull

This is a Nick Cave song!

Post by faithfull »

This is a Nick Cave song sung by Marianne Faithfull and it's beautiful!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisIqsHwbTY&feature=related

Pretty curious about other user's opinion about it. Please post!
migdd

Re: This is a Nick Cave song!

Post by migdd »

Isn't there a Marianne Faithfull forum somewhere? Maybe that would be a more proper place to post stuff like this.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

migdd wrote:Isn't there a Marianne Faithfull forum somewhere? Maybe that would be a more proper place to post stuff like this.
No! We need a new thread every time she sneezes!

I like her alright, but christ, give us a break!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's actually a Marianne Faithfull and Nick Cave/Bad Seeds as she wrote the words. I'm obsessed by Nick Cave's 'Into My Arms' right now. I used to find NC very irritating, but I hadn't heard The Boatman's Call then, which I now recognise as largely a masterpiece.

I was looking for Morrissey's remarkable 'Dear God Please Help Me' on spotify to put on a playlist and could only find a version by Marianne Faithfull. I just don't like her voice that much. OK on the song here, but she doesn't do the Moz song justice.

What I did enjoy seeing was this link from the above page:

Faithfull with Bowie doing 'I Got You Babe'. This is from the '1980 Floor Show', from the Marquee, October '73, 3 months after Bowie had retired as Ziggy, although he still pretty much was Ziggy at this point. Loads more from the three days of sessions here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... +show&aq=f
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

The following warning notice has been sent to the username "faithfull" by the Fan Forum Administration and is being made public here for other board members to see:

While your admiration for Marianne Faithful is your own choice, please do not keep mentioning here in a forum that is meant for Elvis Costello. Those who participate in this fan forum are here for disussions about Elvis Costello's music, and things that his fans might have in common. You are the only one here who keeps mentioning Marianne Faithful. If your actions continue, we will have no choice but to deactivate your account as soon as possible.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This is a local shop for local people. There's nothing for you here!

:D :D
faithfull

I beg you pardon?

Post by faithfull »

Hey man!

As long as I do post them in the right chapter there is no need to threaten me, mate!

This it the annex where one can talk about music in general. If not then drop this section!!!
Attachments
marriane2345.jpg
marriane2345.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 21512 times
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just kidding. Relax. I'm happy to have a thread for Marianne Faithfull. If we can keep it to a single thread that would be wonderful.

What other artists are you interested in?
faithfull

my favourite artist

Post by faithfull »

Gosh! How much time do you provide me? The list is long, but let's begin:

David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Morrissey, Sting, Nico, Lou Reed, Tanita Tikaram, Alison Moyet, Kate Bush, The Cure, Tom Waits, Elvis Presley, Depeche Mode, Mia Martini, Patty Pravo, Edith Piaf, U2, Melissa Etheridge, Serge Gainsbourg, Marlene Dietrich, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Nicks, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, Bette Midler, Cher, Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand, Rod Stewart, Ray Charles, Charles Aznavour, K.D. Lang, James Taylor, John Denver, Bob Dylan (of course!) & many many more...

But most of all I adore Marianne Faithfull and David Bowie!!!

And Tanita Tikaram might appear "strange" to mention her as she didn't show up for ages...but I love her voice and songs...some of them are very dark ;-)

BTW: something on the list you really like, too? ;-)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Absolutely. Many of those you mention actually - Cave, Cohen, Bowie, Gainsbourg, Waits especially.
faithfull

Post by faithfull »

Gosh! Forgot The Doors, Patti Smith, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix. And did I mention Cyndi Lauper and Annie Lennox? Then Enya, she is very special...Björk...

BTW I am in the middle of the Marianne Faithfull Festival in Bologna now. It began yesterday with the screening of IRINA PALM and then afterwards a about 15 minutes' talk with Marianne there in the cinema, cool! She looks better than ever! She came after 11 p.m. to talk with the audience...

Today (ok it's nearly 1 a.m. now but actually I have to say today) at lunch time the meeting with the audience again and then the Shakespeare reading (won't go there as already seen/heard this 3 times) and then MOST OF ALL the concert at 9.30 p.m. The long awaited EASY COME, EASY GO concert.

What about Marianne? Do you like her - at all???
migdd

Post by migdd »

Marianne has her own website and forum here:

http://mfofficial.livejournal.com/

I like Broken English well enough. Have not heard anything else.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Saw a movie Dogs In Space (1986) featuring Michael Hutchence which was supposed to be this hip cult movie but it's not very good but it had this old Nick Cave song in it. Had only heard another group's cover of it until now.

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I used to find NC very irritating, but I hadn't heard The Boatman's Call then, which I now recognise as largely a masterpiece.
Me too, was put off by some of his videos. I too am getting more into his stuff and the above makes me want to check out all the early Bad Seeds albums for anything of similar quality. Just read an interview where he downplays The Boatman's Call as an overblown reaction to a failed relationship - it's a good read: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2003/fe ... popandrock Have you heard him talk? Completely the opposite of his deep singing voice and performance style. It's cool in how much it shows him to be apart from his performance self.
Otis Westinghouse

I'm getting The Boatman's Call tomorrow (due to an absurdly unsubtle hint relating to my 17th wedding anniversary!!!). I just can't wait. For one thing it means I'll have the superb original of 'People Ain't No Good', but after hearing the album as a whole on Spotify, I know it works very well altogether.

Regarding Marianne Faithfull, can you pick up the BBC's iPlayer where you are, Faithfull? If so, check out both editions of last week's Later show as each contains a different interview with MF, one showing an old clip from the 60s and one from the late 70s. The latter will expire next Tuesday, the former next Friday. She plays a couple of songs off the LP, including the above-mentioned 'Dear God Please Help Me', which I have to say she doesn't do much justice at all. The Morrissey original is one of the best songs he's ever recorded, it still takes y breath away, and is one of his best vocals, whereas she just makes it sound a bit painful. she lets slip that Lou Reed recommended the song to her!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I think Marianne Faithfull sounds like a cat caugnt in a blender. Let's be honest, she'd have sunk without trace years ago if Jagger hadn't been porking her.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

:D :D :D
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"Dig Lazurus Dig" is a Nick Cave masterpeice.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Jackson Monk wrote:I think Marianne Faithfull sounds like a cat caugnt in a blender. Let's be honest, she'd have sunk without trace years ago if Jagger hadn't been porking her.
Good Lord, I very nearly just spat my gin & oj over the keyboard (yes, it's 3 in the afternoon and I'm drinking, it's my day off, what of it?!). So very true, JM.

I'm off to Brighton this weekend so I'm hoping to bump into Nick Cave, whereby I shall do my best to molest him in the right and proper manner. :wink: