Re: Elvis on One show next week

Post by johnfoyle »

Who says so?

Their site should , however, confirm eventually -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/
paulwilliams

Post by paulwilliams »

Well thats what they said right at the end of Friday nights show, next week's guests include Elvis Costello, it was that Brummy bloke (okie West Brom fan) who is on match of the day 2
regards
Paul
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Your news , Paul , is confirmed by my Mammy who also saw this being trailed on last night's show. No better source, needless to say, exists! She got the impression they were talking about Monday's show.

Adrian Chiles, Christine Bleakley and guests celebrate all that is good about the country in which we live, with reports on stories from around the UK. is the show's description on their site. Elvis will , of course, fit in perfectly , happily talking about how nourished and supported he feels by the country of his birth. Or maybe not.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

yup, just heard the BBC announcer confirm it.Elvis in 40 minutes!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

if futher proof were needed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jzjzf
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Interestinng opening let the quizzing begin ! I don't think he'll let us down .
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

How wrong you can be , still I couldn't remember either . That would be track 11 from TYM.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Show summary -

Adrian Chiles, Christine Bleakley and guests celebrate all that is good about the country in which we live, with reports on stories from around the UK.

Elvis Costello strikes the right note with Adrian and Christine, while Gyles Brandreth looks at the place that inspired Benjamin Britten's famous opera Peter Grimes. Michael Mosley flexes his brain power to launch the One Show memory week.

My phone camera captures the highlights-

ImageImage
Adrian Chiles, Christine Bleakley start the show in 'Elvis' glasses - Elvis contains himself.

ImageImage
Michael Mosley swots up on Elvis tracklistings.

ImageImage
Gyles Brandreth and Elvis discuss composers.

ImageImage

Elvis likes a Ross MacManus clip.

The new album's sleeve is admired.

Michael Mosley gets the quiz right - Elvis contains himself.

ImageImage
Packed lunches are discussed.

'Let me out of here!' , as they go to end titles.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Our Man seems to have lost a bit of weight! Not sure about the moustache, though! And nice to see a clip of Ross!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lets see how long this comment stays on the shows blog -

http://tinyurl.com/dejzhc

At 8:32pm on 20 Apr 2009, evelyn2541 wrote:

(extract)

Although the inane duo who front the BBC's The One Show are not particularly to my taste, the show does occasionally cover interesting topics, but the pair outdid themselves tonight when they managed to reduce Elvis Costello's 30-year musical career to a pair of oversized spectacles. It's the equivalent of shouting four-eyes at a kid in glasses. What's he going to be remembered for , his songwriting and singing talent or his glasses? No contest as far as these twerps are concerned.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

You can see it all here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 0_04_2009/

Blimey, he has lost loads of weight!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Was it just me, or was anyone else impressed by EC's capacity to come out with some Bush-bashing and anti Gulf war statements in answer to what were some fairly bland questions about Spectacle?

Who'd have thought, incidentally that EC was big friends with Christopher Guest from "Spinal Tap".
GCM

Post by GCM »

Perhaps he'll treat us to a cover version of "Lick My Love Pump" with the Brodskys this week.
I thought Elvis didn't look very well and that moustache has to go!

The production values were very poor; the clip from Spectacle was very low quality and the still picture they used of the Brodsky Quartet was almost indecipherable.

Anyway, it was good to hear from Elvis and I wonder if he'll have any more media appearances this week?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

At least it was some primetime tv in the UK for the first time in ages
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

I recorded it and watched it later so I could fast forward through all the boring non-Elvis bits, of which there were many. Unfortunately the show started early so I missed some of it, evidently

Elvis, to his credit, only rarely displayed his "just kill me now" expression during the show. Of course, they only asked the memory expert to rattle off tracks from "Trust" and "This Years Model". So the questions were: what are tracks 3, 4 and 5 from Trust and what are tracks 9,10 and 11 from TYM? Those are well known albums, for ferk's sake! I mean come on, ask something even we might struggle with like, "What are tracks 6,7,and 8 from Kojak Variety"?!?

The interesting part was that EC was on prime-time British TV, on BBC 1 even - the creme de la creme of Aunty - for an entire 30 minutes, even if a good 20 minutes of that was devoted to non-sequiter documentaries of a brain numbing nature. What's more the hosts gave the new album a good plugging. Clearly somebody on Elvis' PR team and/or record company thinks it would be a good idea to actually promote one of his albums for a change, so evidently expect more TV appearances, high profile magazine interviews (maybe not just music mags either), newspaper coverage, you name it.

I noticed that the moustache was still there, but he hadn't shaved much either so it wasn't too prominent amidst the general ongoing facial hair situation.

So the memory guy was called Michael Mosley? Any relation to Oswald Mosley?

--Paul--
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/b ... w-111.html

Christine Bleakley , Elvis, Adrian Chiles
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I thought he looked old, tired and rather.... frail: not a word I'd ever associate with Elvis normally. Seemed a bit hesitant and 'out of it,' too. Jet lag, maybe?

Good to see him on prime time BBC though, even if the buffoons on the show didn't have a clue what to do with him!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I thought the show was rather lovely. The One Show is very cosy and parocial, but popular, and also odd with incongrous guests and reports. I'm sure EC is comfortable with people commenting on his glasses (ref. EC in The SImpsons) and enjoyed his delight when he realised what clip of Ross was about to appear.

It was great TV to have someone waving a post-it-covered copy of Trust around on prime time BBC1.

Anyway, if it's good enough for Morrissey...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Ck_i9tJBs
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Dr J! Recently spotted on the Word site... thanks for Moz link. Brilliant.

I found myself shouting the c word at the TV last night. There's a BBC redio show where people try out things they've never tried before, and now it's on BBC4 on the telly. I happened upon bland, posh, smoothie Nigel Havers on it last night, who had never got the Smiths, didn't know what teenage angst was, etc. As I joined it, he was reading out lines from This Charming Man and getting cheap audience laughs out of them with stupid 'well search me!' faces, including the line which to me is one of the best in modern music: 'why pamper life's complexity when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?' Beautiful, profound, stunningly original. if the word genius can be applied to Morrissey, this line sums it up. And they were fucking laughing at it!!! So it's so pleasant to see Simon Armitage say he wouldn't have become a poet were it not for Morrissey and citing that line in contrast to songs rhyming 'maybe' with 'baby' as a demonstration of how this influence came to bear. Thank God for such people.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Hello Otis! Yes I do loiter on the Word board a lot these days...

The TV show you're on about, I've Never Seen Star Wars, is despicable. It's hosted by the punchable Marcus Brigstoke, a concave-faced talent-vacuum who's kinda like Stephen Fry but without the ability, humour, grace, style, brain or soul. Whenever Brigstoke appears on tv, it's the sad, lonely death of entertainment and laughter.

On the plus side, the BBC have just given us Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, which skewered Radio 4 comedy types like MB, whose comedy sentences always go up in tone at the middle, before coming down at the end to signify the punchline.

Morrissey still makes me laugh. I was listening to I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris the other day and noticed the last line: "Yes, you've made yourself plain/ Yes, you've made yourself very plain" It's the "very" that does it. Gawd bless him.
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

You're cracking me up!

great description. Must watch Herring

ABSOLUTELY to 'plain', it's Moz all over, innit? I can't wait to see him in Brixton.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

There's some more enjoyable Marcus B bashing on this thread, including annoyance at his dismissal of Morrissey...

http://netopiax.org/boards/index.php?PH ... ic=20690.0
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

DrJ wrote:Hello Otis! Yes I do loiter on the Word board a lot these days...

The TV show you're on about, I've Never Seen Star Wars, is despicable. It's hosted by the punchable Marcus Brigstoke, a concave-faced talent-vacuum who's kinda like Stephen Fry but without the ability, humour, grace, style, brain or soul.
But that would mean that he's nothing more than a gigantic arse! Sounds like a very accurate description then.

It also reminds me of an Australian comedy show of the early nineties that tried to get cheap laughs one night by reading the lyric to "Strawberry Fields Forever" and berating the last verse for inarticulacy - thus completely missing the point that the lyric is ABOUT inarticulacy. How exactly can a grown man (Lennon) explain that he only place he feels safe is in his childhood?

At least Morrissey will now have a little something to write about - I bet he comes up with an absolute withering reply-in-song to Mr Prigstoke.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org