What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Fleet Foxes doing Dylan's 'It Ain't Me Babe' on BBC6 from a couple of weeks ago. Downloadable off Dime. More Pecknold solo than whole band. Gorgeous.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I've been listening to Neko Case a lot lately, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. It's gorgeous. Maybe Sparrow might be my favorite.

The Killers, too.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

because it has a song called What Would Tim Armstrong Do? And really, that's an excellent question. It will be my motto, or talisman or whatever you call the thing you need to keep from drowning in the bullshit of the world.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

oily slick

Post by oily slick »

just No Line On The Horizon. over and over and over. used to them making most others sound like amateurs, but this time almost every song a masterpiece.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

StrictTime wrote:I've been listening to Neko Case a lot lately, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. It's gorgeous. Maybe Sparrow might be my favorite.
I have Middle Cyclone on my MP3 player ready to roll, but first I've have to give Marianne Faithfull's Easy Come Easy Go a whirl.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

oily slick wrote:just No Line On The Horizon. over and over and over. used to them making most others sound like amateurs, but this time almost every song a masterpiece.
Digging this as well. Great performances, great songs.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Listening to the new Decemberists album, The Hazards of Love, which is a song cycle about a woman named Margaret who is ravaged by a shape-shifting animal, her lover - William- a forest queen, and a lascivious rake. Let me put it this way. If you're a Decemberists fan and can appreciate a little bit of almost prog-rocky bombast and lyrics that sometimes have you reaching for the thesaurus, this is for you. If you're not a fan, this is not the album that's going to convert you. I happen to really like it.

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I'm not a big decemberist fan, I liked Picaresque and Colin Meloy's live solo album, but this record is definitely interesting. A few songs really stand out- won't want for love, The Hazards of Love 2, The wanting comes in waves, Isn't it a lovely night, The rake's song but I don't think it works as a whole album.

NPR did a live recording of the whole album at the SXSW festival so I'm looking forward to hear that.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I have been re-listening to Cassandra Wilson, of late. Particularly Belly of the Sun and New Moon Daughter. Like the back woods feel with all the earthiness in her voice and the way she sings behind the beat. The choice of some old pop staples the The Weight and Love is Blindness has always struck me as inspired. Subdued and subtle arrangements hold your interest repeatedly.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:I have been re-listening to Cassandra Wilson, of late. Particularly Belly of the Sun and New Moon Daughter. Like the back woods feel with all the earthiness in her voice and the way she sings behind the beat. The choice of some old pop staples the The Weight and Love is Blindness has always struck me as inspired. Subdued and subtle arrangements hold your interest repeatedly.
New Moon Daughter is a fantastic album. One of my favorite collections of covers, because they are true to the spirit of the songs without being overly reverential.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i just heard an acoustic version of Complicated Shadows on the Outlaw Country channel on xm. elvis as outlaw. no whiskey and diana krall. got a big hat though.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Reach The Beach .........The Fixx
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

music included.

I for one am looking forward to the new Green Day.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

So, maybe the music's a little repetitive. But Fat Mike makes me laugh.
Jack of All Parades

Tinted Windows---this is a guilty pleasure like a candy bar off the side- lots of sugar and a quick rush- not certain if it is going to sustain me over time-but I sure like the immediate impact. Interesting combination too!-- Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne, James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, Taylor Hanson from the Hanson Brothers and Bun E Carlos from Cheap Trick- mix them together and you have one speedy power pop record that takes me back to the late Seventies, early Eighties. To my ears it is Fountains of Wayne with a kick.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

TV on the Radio
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

The really rather beautiful new album by Trashcan Sinatras, 'In The Music'.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I have been listening to Middle Cyclone, but find it a little too samey to be able to get overly excited by it (that is not to say it isn't a great album). However, I have been putting my recently acquired Nokia 5800 "music" phone through its paces with the aid of Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson's "Rattlin' Bones", Buddy & Julie Miller's "Written in Chalk" and a couple of "foreign" offerings: French singer Coralie Clement's "Toystore" and Chinese artists Dadowa's "Sister Drum" and Sa Ding Ding's "Things of Health".
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Tim(e) wrote:I have been listening to Middle Cyclone, but find it a little too samey to be able to get overly excited by it (that is not to say it isn't a great album).
Yes, Middle Cyclone is a solid album, but I would not rank it up there with Fox Confessor or Blacklisted.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers "Pandemonium Ensues".
Liking it a lot!
Saw him w/ Steve Nieve @ City Winery in NY a few weeks ago and he sounded so great!

"Best of Times" is like a wonderful Squeeze song w/ Cajun spice and the Johnny Depp-narrated "Too Close to the Sun" is deadpan wacky & fun. Reminds me of a Japanese Sci-fi movie theme song, circa 1967.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Prince - 'If I Was Your Girlfriend'

Got the LP for £3 in Fopp. My favourite Prince song. A masterpiece.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

This week it is "Country Club" by John Doe and the Sadies-picked it up recently in Newbury Comics in Boston. This is just one fun country and western album- John Doe sings his heart out on old classic Nashville songs and is amiably backed by The Sadies-this is not the treacle that passes for country and western today. It is sung with real emotion and you get the feeling that he has been practicing these tunes for many years waiting for the right chance to let them out. I am going to keep it in my heavy rotation along with last year's Teddy Thompson C&W album.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Steve Earle - Townes

Bat for Lashes - Two Suns

One after t'other. BfL wins by a nose!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

particularly enjoying the Leavin' On A Jet Plane cover.