Spotify me!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Spotify me!

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Anyone heard of spotify? A friend sent me an invitation. Anyone can log in and listen to most of everything. Very easy and impressive. Streams easily, has a wealth of obscurities (I tired a 1980 Cabaret Voltaire 12" that I didn't expect it to have and it did!). Or there's a radio function, etc.

Check it out! You'll never want to leave your computer again!

https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/ja ... ic-spotify
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Re: Spotify me!

Post by pophead2k »

Ummm....how does one receive an invitation?
Otis Westinghouse

I don't know! What do you get when you click the link above? Is it the case that you can't just sign up in the US? I've checked and I have no invitations offer. No doubt if you pay you get them. I'll check with the friend who invited me. Everyone should sign up as it's phenomenally good. Blows any other sites I've seen out of the water. The sound quality is excellent and the streaming faultless.

A techie friend at work told me he has his entire music and DVD collection and Spotify on his Mac feeding through an Apple TV device that then means he can play all his stuff plus vast amounts of the world's music through his telly, which links to his hi-fi, all via the TV remote. No need to get off his ass at all!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

When I followed the link it took me to a page that asked me for my invitation code or some such thing. Otherwise, it was only an offer for an email notification when the beta testing was over.
Otis Westinghouse

Too bad. As per the Guardian link above: 'The only obstacle is that you need an invite to sign up for Spotify's free service. But, handily, it is currently offering a temporary registration link for UK users at tinyurl.com/spotifylink. We are among the first places to have access to the service; the web is full of postings from aggrieved American bloggers desperate to access it.'

I fI get given invitations, I'll let you know. If this comes through using it a bit, I'm surely well on the way!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Thanks for the info- I will definitely sign up for the update. This sounds like a fantastic site!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Ta for this, Otis! What a fantastically executed idea. The other half said he would have your babies if he could. :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

It started with a thread... although references to it are everywhere, and lots of people have discovered it recently. My son cracked me up today. As a 16 year old he is superbly well versed in the art of moaning over absolutely nothing, so today's rant was that Spotify wasn't that good as it didn't have Born Slippy on it! So, OK< it doesn't have absolutely everything, but it has most things!

Couldn't work out how to share stuff at first, but checked out the FAQ, and as with everything else Spotify, it's ludicrously easy: you just drag into email and you're away. Or here, I guess. Try this:

http://open.spotify.com/track/0fMBJOoPgGYxnekT6PR77m

Does that work? One of the things I love most now that my vinyl is idle is rediscovering stuff I haven't played for years and miss, like the above Associates classic.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Word is Spotify has scored another major fundraising coup. $50mln round at $250 valuation. TechCrunch is reporting that Universal, Sony BMG, EMI, and Warner have all invested in a previous round, and that "some labels are supposedly making more money now from Spotify than iTunes in the markets the service is available."

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/04/sp ... reholders/
strangerinthehouse

Re: Spotify me! - US edition

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Spotify has finally launched in the U.S. and I'm loving it. I've been looking forward to it after years of reading/hearing about from those overseas.

I'm amazed at the wealth of songs it features, lots of new releases and rarities. Already have playlists filled with hundreds of tracks and it's my first day!

Still not sure how to find people to follow, if you're on it I'll gladly follow you. Of course, if you'd like an invitation PM me your email.

My handle is Shellacandvinyl.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I too have 'spotified' today- have been waiting for this for some time ever since I became aware of it from other board members. Thank you, Otis, for the headsup.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm on there now. How do I find all you good people?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

This is my only issue with spotify, the social aspect of it. You can either import friends from facebook or the only way I've added people to my list is to subscribe to one of their playlist. Otherwise I love it.

I did find a way to add people based on their spotify username, here it is:

If you know their username, type spotify:user:USERNAME in the search box. (Note that the username must be written in lower-case)
You can simply click on a username wherever it appears. For instance, if you are viewing a playlist created by another Spotify user, their username appears at the top of the page.
Once you are viewing a user’s public profile you can add the user to your People list by clicking the “Add USERNAME” button at the top of the page.

Are your board usernames the same on spotify?
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Success- am on and Otis's advice to show patience brought fruition- will have fun with this but the sheer musical variety is astounding. My user name on Spotify is Restlessears.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'