My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

My Darling Clementine working with Steve Nieve on an album of EC covers , 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

Former subscribers to Mark Perry and Mike Bodayle's "Fanzine" - "Beyond belief" may recall that Issue #28from Winter 2001 featured an interview with one Lou Dalgleish, who was then performing a set of EC covers under the name "They call her Natasha". Seven years have passed, during which Lou has not been so active on the music scene, although she now partners Michael Weston King, who (it seems) is something on the Alt Country circuit. But now, Lou/Elsie is back performing again.

On Friday 6 February and Saturday 7 February 2009, Lou will be performing at the Lichfield Garrick Theatre (from 7.30pm). According to the latest programme guide

"Following the huge successes of its UK tour and Edinburgh Festival, They Call Her Natasha, comes to the Lichfield Garrick. The songs of Elvis Costello lead us through the life and times of his female counterpart.... Elsie! Written by Lou Dalgleish and Michael Weston King, this is the story of Elsie Costello. As dialogue intertwines with the songs of Elvis Costello, Elsie's story strangely mirrors that of her male counterpart! Lou Dalgleish has been widely regarded as one of the UK's finest singer songwriters in her own right. But now, as Elsie Costello, her stunning voice highlights the breadth and diversity of Costello's songs. Michael Weston King, also one of Britain's most renowned singer songwriters, provides poignant narration, as well as superb guitar-vocals within the show: Featuring such classics as Accidents Will Happen, Shipbuilding, Alison, I want you and many more. Lou's (Elsie's) breathtaking vocals are accompanied by the phenomenal keyboard skills of Gladstone Wilson.

"If you get chance to see Lou Dalgleish as Elsie Costello, do take it" Beyond Belief (The official Elvis Costello fanzine)
"

As the author of the review of Lou's (Elsie's) show from which that final quote is taken, far be it from me to dissuade you from seeing this show, however, I was not previously aware of the "huge success" of her UK tour. Certainly the night I saw her at the Robin 2 in Bilston, the place was not sold out. Lou/Elsie may well be doing other shows with Michael Weston King. They have recently recorded a duets album "My darling clementine" of which more details can be found here:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=69278063

The band on that album was to include Martin Belmont (ex-The Rumour) whom some of you will recall stood in for Bruce Thomas when Bruce was indisposed, including on the "Live at the Hope and Anchor" gig on 14 May 1980. I am sure his inclusion in Lou and Michael's band is no coincidence, as MWK is also a big EC fan.
migdd

Re: They call her Natasha

Post by migdd »

Man out of Time wrote:The band on that album was to include Martin Belmont (ex-The Rumour) whom some of you will recall stood in for Bruce Thomas when Bruce was indisposed, including on the "Live at the Hope and Anchor" gig on 14 May 1980. I am sure his inclusion in Lou and Michael's band is no coincidence, as MWK is also a big EC fan.
Not to be pedantic, but Belmont actually ably filled in for Steve Nieve after Steve had a car accident and couldn't make several dates during the tour which followed the release of Get Happy, including the night at the Hope and Anchor in 1980. Bruce did cut his hand a year or two earlier and was subbed on bass by Nick Lowe and the late Phil Lynott on various nights of the 1978 tour.

Interesting hearing about Lou after all these years.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hi

I confess I went to Elsie's 2001 show in Liverpool ( alongside about 6 other people) and had a great time.

I'm sure this event will be worth the modest entrance fee for the good people of Lichfield .

( and by the way, If Mark P. and Mike B. are part of this Board, thanks again for Beyond Belief which was stunning at the time and gets even better in retrospect!)

Colin
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Beyond Belief WAS a great mag and waht ever happened to Mark Perry and Mike Bodayle? I have not heard their names for ages.

Incidentally, I have some Beyond Belief fanzines to sell if anyone is interested or has gaps in their collection. I also have a binder for sale! Contact ne privately.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I went to see Lou Dalgleish in London about 5 years ago and she was fantastic. Great to hear someone else doing Elvis's songs as it's a crime he's not more widely covered. Standout for me was a rip-roaring 'Still Too Soon To Know'.
Man out of Time

Event is now listed at the Garrick Theatre website:

http://www.lichfieldgarrick.com/Shows/T ... /index.asp

Lou is pictured wearing what I can only assume to be her "Alt Country" shirt.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Mikeh wrote:Beyond Belief WAS a great mag and what ever happened to Mark Perry and Mike Bodayle? I have not heard their names for ages.
Mark still posts to Costello-L and still, as far as I know lives and works in Taunton, Somerset.

Mike Bodayle seems to be Treasurer and CFO of the First Acceptance Corporation, a retailer, servicer and underwriter of non-standard personal automobile insurance based in Nashville, Tennessee. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... &ID=173280

Since the advent of the EC homepage (now the EC Wiki), and EC's own website, arguably there is no need (or demand) for a printed fanzine (with the cost and effort involved). However, as a sometime contributor to BB, it was always nice to see your name in print!

MOOT
migdd

Post by migdd »

ECIS and Beyond Belief were both essential reading for Elvis fans. I remember haunting my mailbox waiting for them to come in. It was great to be able to sit down and read a pile of EC news and other fun stuff all at once. The internet is a different experience altogether - nowadays we're all aware of EC's every sneeze mere seconds after they occur. :)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thisiswalsallonline.co.uk/en ... ticle.html

Just one more way the music of Elvis Costello comes back round

Friday, January 30, 2009, 14:00

HE pops up all over the place, that Elvis Costello.

When he isn't watching the detectives or going all country he's getting classical.

Skulking in the background of Roy Orbison's hallowed Black And White Night, co-writing songs with Macca (admittedly 20 years ago) and cropping up in an Austin Powers film.

Now this distinctly masculine, big-spectacled muso has mutated into a girl – well, sort of.

They Call Her Natasha, written by Lou Dalgleish and Michael Weston King, is the story of Elsie Costello.

Dialogue intertwines with the songs of Elvis Costello, and Elsie's story strangely mirrors that of her male counterpart.

The show celebrates the work of the man born Declan McManus, ranging from his 1976 debut My Aim Is True through to 1996's All This Useless Beauty.

A post-modern story of obsession, the show – at the Lichfield Garrick on February 6-7 – is performed by lauded singer-songwriter Lou Dalgleish and features 18 songs from Costello's canon.

Although widely regarded as one of the UK's finest, with four of her own critically-acclaimed albums under her belt, Dalgleish relished turning her attention to her hero's work.

Ever since she stole her brother's copy of This Year's Model, Costello's second album, Lou has been enthralled by the bespectacled musical magpie.

"They call her Natasha but she looks like Elsie" is the inspirational line, taken of course from Costello's classic I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea, and spawning the creation of Lou's alter-ego Elsie Costello.

In 2000 she assembled some of Birmingham's finest musicians to form the band They Call Her Natasha.

Following a successful tour of the UK and Ireland, They Call Her Natasha was then reworked as a theatrical piece and debuted at the Edinburgh Festival in 2001.

Costello's songs are intertwined with poignant narration and text, leading us through the life and times of Elsie.

Michael Weston King, another renowned singer-songwriter, serves as narrator Napoleon Dynamite – a pseudonym also employed variously by Mr Costello himself.

The play also features Gladstone Wilson as pianist Joe Porterhouse.

"The extreme diversity of his music is no easy challenge," said a spokesman.

"However, They Call Her Natasha presents his songs with flair and imagination.

"Whilst always remaining true to the spirit of the original versions, Lou's interpretations of such classics as Accidents Will Happen, Shipbuilding, Alison and I Want You have the hallmarks of one of finest voices around stamped on them."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://nzbarry.travellerspoint.com/28/

Barry
blogs -

(extract)

In the evening, I went to a unique event at the Lichfield Garrick Theatre - a sort of musical play, They Call Me Natasha. This is about a woman called Natasha who is an Elvis Costello impersonator (as an aside, I have to say, that the number of "tribute" bands and bars devoted to them is enormous). But the thing is - she gets so caught up in her impersonation that she actually believes she is Elvis, and so a lot of the play is given to her performng a roster of Elvis Costello songs. She did them pretty well, although about three songs in, I tuned out for a while; she sang Alison and it made me wonder whatever happened to my friend Alison, who last time I saw her was headed off to do something I found quite fascinating; she was simply going to sit on her porch for "six months, and see what happens".
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Man out of Time wrote: Lou/Elsie may well be doing other shows with Michael Weston King. They have recently recorded a duets album "My darling clementine"

Michael Weston King had a whip round to finance this & I was glad to chip in. Just received a copy & it's lovely stuff. Unfortunately they cant find a label to release it. If anyone knows an interested label, do let him, or me, know. It's pure old style gentle country, Lou & Michael duet perfectly.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/West-Midla ... of-Sundays

Sunday March 28 '10

LOU DALGLEISH AND THE ELVIS COSTELLO SONGBOOK...

Lou pays tribute to her greatest influence with an evening of stunning interpretations of Costello classics, including Shipbuilding, Alison, Accidents Will Happen, Almost Blue, Pump It Up, I Want You, Good Year For The Roses, Peace Love & Understanding and so many more.

"Lou's pure and gorgeous voice, offers imaginative, elegant interpretations... An energizing voyage through the Elvis Costello songbook.
IRISH EXAMINER

Tickets £10 in advance, £12 on the door, or one ticket for all 3 shows for £25.
8pm (Doors 7.30)

17 York Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham B14 7SA
Tel: 0121 443 4725

info@kitchengardencafe.co.uk
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tonight , in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I might have made it , with just a little bit more notice!

http://www.cqaf.com/natasha.html

They Call Her Natasha
McHughs Basement
Wednesday 5 May 8.00pm
£7.00

The songs of Elvis Costello lead us through the life and times of his female counterpart… Elsie!

Written by Lou Dalgleish and Michael Weston King, this is the story of Elsie Costello whose story strangely mirrors that of her male counterpart.

Featuring such classics as Accidents Will Happen, Shipbuilding, Alison, I Want You and many more, Lou’s (Elsie’s) breathtaking vocals are accompanied by Michael Weston King's superb guitar and vocals and the phenomenal keyboard skills of Gladstone Wilson.

They Call Her Natasha promises to be a unique evening where classic songwriting and stunning performance come together in a superbly dramatic narrative.

"Fans of Lou Dalgleish, fans of Elvis Costello, in fact all fans of high quality songs and stunning singing must see They Call her Natasha" THE INDEPENDENT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enter ... 93938.html

Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival

Music of Costello steals this brave, if disappointing, show
Andrew Richards

(Rated 3/ 5 )

They Call Her Natasha, McHugh's Basement

Thursday, 6 May 2010

I was under the impression that Elvis Costello was a man. In fact, I was sure of it. But last night I saw him reincarnated as a woman — one Elsie Costello.

Elsie is the alter-ego of singer/songwriter Lou Dalgleish. They Call Her Natasha is Elsie’s story, as written by Dalgleish and husband Michael Weston King, intertwined with the songs of the aforementioned male Costello.

Fans of the former Declan McManus will recognise inspiration for the show comes from the lyric “they call her Natasha but she looks like Elsie”, from Costello’s classic (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea.

The bespectacled one’s songs are interspersed with a rather forced but intelligent narrative provided by Weston King, which gives the show a theatrical feel.

Add to this Dalgleish’s unique take on songs such as Accidents Will Happen, Peace Love & Understanding and Alison and it certainly makes you feel that you are watching a particularly idiosyncratic take on the Costello back catalogue.

While the narrative of the show was at times interesting and affecting, as the show went on I found myself just wanting to hear the songs. That is a compliment to the superb Dalgleish and her backing musicians, particularly Gladstone Wilson. Musically, this show was a joy, as a performance piece it was brave yet disappointing.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

She is on at The Everyman in Liverpool 23-26 Feb 2011

http://www.everymanplayhouse.com/Show/T ... A/485.aspx
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liv ... -28155045/

Michael Weston King on writing the Elvis Costello musical They Call Her Natasha

Laura Davis

Feb 11 2011

DESPITE meeting his wife through Elvis Costello, losing count of the number of his gigs he’s been to and penning a new musical based on Costello’s lyrics, Michael Weston King insists he’s not an obsessive fan.

“I don’t want to come across as too much of a trainspotter,” says the co-writer of They Call Her Natasha, a new show touring to the Everyman later this month.

“He’s just somebody whose songwriting has influenced mine.

“A lot of my other favourite artists – Hank Williams or Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash or even Bob Dylan – were around before I was really aware of music so I suppose he’s the only one that I’ve been old enough, just about, to follow his career.”

King grew up in Southport and was a pupil at King George V, joining the school just as Soft Cell’s Marc Almond was leaving.

A friend, who had been to see Costello playing in the Liverpool punk club Eric’s in 1977 – “I was so young I wouldn’t have even been able to get in” – introduced King to his first album.

The first time he saw the Oliver’s Army singer for himself was at an Armed Forces tour gig at Preston Guild Hall in 1979. Costello, who had not yet quite hit the big time, was supported by John Cooper Clarke and Richard Hell and the Voidoids.

“That was very exciting and it felt like a real sense of occasion, it was quite wild actually,” remembers King.

“At the time even though I was a fan of other artists coming through, like the Clash, there was something about Elvis that had a higher quality and a greater depth.

“I’m a big fan of lyrics and I think Elvis is one of the most interesting lyricists of the past 30 years for sure. He’s just incredibly articulate and that’s what drew me to his music.”

The name of his new show, They Call Her Natasha, is taken from Costello’s 1978 Attractions number (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea: “They call her Natasha when she looks like Elsie”.

King co-wrote the musical with his wife Lou Dalgleish, who plays Elsie Costello, an obsessive fan whose life strangely mirrors the Shipbuilding singer’s.

Costello’s songs – everything from hits Accidents Will Happen, Alison and I Want You to lesser known album tracks – are pulled together through King’s narration of Elsie’s life and subsequent breakdown.

They are joined on stage by keyboardist Gladstone Wilson and a back projection of images reflecting the real Costello’s Birkenhead childhood and his Liverpool and London days.

“It’s not a Mamma Mia or a We Will Rock You,” says King, emphasising the show’s darkness.

“Lou had a band called They Call Her Natasha – it was a fabulous band but they were just going out and doing kind of an Elvis tribute but obviously she wasn’t dressing up as him and the songs were chosen from a female perspective.

“We wanted to do something different but that was still a vehicle for Lou to perform the songs.

“We thought a lot of those songs are so wonderful lyrically that they could tell a story if put into some sort of chronological order.”

In a roundabout way, Dalgleish and King met through Costello’s music although “Elvis didn’t actually introduce us in the Grapes in Liverpool,” he laughs.

He was working as a booking agent to supplement his professional musician’s income and her CV landed on his desk.

It said she had recently completed a degree at Coventry University with a dissertation on the lyrics of Elvis Costello. The story should go that he booked her on the spot but. . .

“That’s the irony, I didn’t,” reveals King.

“I just rang up and said would you send me the dissertation I’m just really interested to read it.

“Since then Elvis’ music has been a bit of a backdrop to our relationship.”

Dalgleish and King have worked together before but They Call Her Natasha has been a more intense experience.

“It’s not so much creating the show, it’s carrying on doing it,” says King.

“With husband and wife working together there’s always different tensions compared to when it’s people who aren’t as close as that.

“Maybe you sometimes take the other person for granted in a way that you wouldn’t if you weren’t their husband or wife but it’s all fine at the moment,” he laughs.

“This is very much her thing more than it is mine really so I just do what I’m told.”

THEY Call Her Natasha is at the Liverpool Everyman from February 23-26.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Is anyone going?

I've got a ticket for the Thursday show where there seem to be plenty of seats left.

Send me a PM if you want to meet up?

Other nights still have seats, but looks like these 3 will sell out.

Colin Top Balcony
Man out of Time

Not going to get to Liverpool this time, but I see that the show is coming to the Leicester Square Theatre, London from 23 to 26 March. Details here:

http://www.leicestersquaretheatre.com/l ... er+Natasha

Tickets from £15. Interesting to see what sort of reviews she gets.

MOOT
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Man out of Time wrote:Not going to get to Liverpool this time, but I see that the show is coming to the Leicester Square Theatre, London from 23 to 26 March. Details here:

http://www.leicestersquaretheatre.com/l ... er+Natasha

Tickets from £15. Interesting to see what sort of reviews she gets.

MOOT
Thanks for the heads up I might go to this. Anyone seen it recently
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks for the heads up about the London date.

I would be interested in going on Saturday 26th March.

Anyone else fancy it? I could make a block booking.

PM me if you're interested.

VG
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Hmmm...
krm

Post by krm »

The quote "The telling of the...story is uninteresting, badly staged, plotless and lacks any form of drama" makes me interested in this.
verbal gymnastics

Man out of time, johnfoyle and myself are booked for Saturday 26th.

The England v Wales football is on at 3pm so it'll be a good day!

Anyone else coming?