Live At The El Mocambo to be re-released

Pretty self-explanatory
thepopeofpop

Live At The El Mocambo to be re-released

Post by thepopeofpop »

Live At The El Mocambo

This classic Elvis Costello and the Attractions album, only ever available on CD in 1993 as part of the "2 1/2 Years" boxset, is to be finally be released as a CD in its own right on Universal either late December or early next year.

No word on whether any bonus tracks will be included.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
migdd

Re: Live At The El Mocambo to be re-released

Post by migdd »

This is a great set that's been out of print for some time now so I guess it will be good to have it available again for those who don't already have it. But still, they can't expect to sell many copies. They could probably make it a limited edition pressing of 10,000 copies and still not sell out.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.musictap.net/Archives/PostsN ... 10508.html

UMe has announced a CD from Elvis Costello and the Attractions called Live at The El Macombo planned for release on December 23.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Word is that this has been delayed until next year.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I enjoyed taking back my newly-acquired (of 70 versions) CDs of relevant albums and exchanging with extra cash for Mocambo LP-sized box.

This time I hope that they release the full version with the extra tracks I had to download from e.g. SoulSeek.
The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

charliestumpy wrote:I enjoyed taking back my newly-acquired (of 70 versions) CDs of relevant albums and exchanging with extra cash for Mocambo LP-sized box.

This time I hope that they release the full version with the extra tracks I had to download from e.g. SoulSeek.
Do you mean the Nick Lowe tracks? If so, here-here! And 'El Mocambo' does come before 'Get Happy'...
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Do you mean the Nick Lowe tracks? If so, here-here! And 'El Mocambo' does come before 'Get Happy'...
Before 'Armed Forces', even
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Amazon has El Mocambo for pre-order. Releasedate is September 29, 2009.
It seems part of a new series "On The Road"!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Live-El-Mocambo-R ... 859&sr=1-1
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I can see it now -- the other volumes of "On The Road" will consist of the live discs from the Deluxe Editions of MAIT and TYM.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Ughhh.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

wardo68 wrote:I can see it now -- the other volumes of "On The Road" will consist of the live discs from the Deluxe Editions of MAIT and TYM.
Shh, don't give them any ideas!!!

If this "On The Road" (or maybe "On The Road Again"? does this mean Bruce Thomas will be re-entering Elvis's life?!) series does materialize, and actually produced something of value, what would your "wishlist" be? (Assuming full shows in great quality, of course.) I'd love to get one night of each from the Spinning Songbook tour, but that would make it 10 discs at the least. I'd happily pay that, as opposed to a King of America reissue with a bonus disc of an edited Spinning Songbook concert, likely featuring the Confederates...

Second would be something from the Lonely World tour.
cwr

Post by cwr »

A live series is a great idea. Even if this "El Mocambo" is just a straight reissue of what's already been available before, it's been a long time since the 2 1/2 Years Box. But I'd be hopeful that maybe EC would be dipping into his archives of live shows spanning his career. You could really do one from every tour and it would be a great series (obviously MORE than one for the Spinning Songbook Tour, which frankly deserves its own DVD and box set...)
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I was thinking and (somewhat) hoping, back when these Hip-O Deluxe Editions started, that we would indeed end up with a pile of live CDs to accompany each album. I don't know if this "On The Road" series will be any more economically viable for all parties concerned. But I've also been saying for years now that he should offer them himself through his own website, like Robert Fripp and Pete Townshend did for some time.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

I just hope that they've gotten rid of the guy who screams "YEEEEEEEHAW" before, during, and after every song...
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

That "YEEEEEEEHAW" guy really makes himself heard! He's like an annoying 5th Attraction on that album...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
cwr

Post by cwr »

I think the EC website is the perfect place to release the kind of live stuff that maybe won't appeal to a broad enough audience to justify a physical release. Ever since EC's Meltdown Festival in 1995, I've been hoping we'd hear more of the various performance from that week, but I can't see that it would ever make a coherent "box set" or anything like that-- for one thing, he was taking so many chances and really experimenting with different ensembles, so it would probably be too much of a mixed bag to make much sense as a multi-disc set, and it would probably get crucified by critics calling it "self-indulgent" or something. But it WOULD be a cool thing if more of those performances were sold as downloads, so people could pick and choose the stuff they wanted or didn't want.

Same with some of the Spinning Songbook-- there's too much from that tour to really whittle down to a 2 or 3 disc set-- even just a basic snapshot would require two different Attractions shows, a solo concert, and a set with the Confederates! And that's before you take into consideration all the big guest appearances that happened along the way. But maybe a large amount of those performances could be made available online. Even someone who doesn't care about such things might be tempted to pay a dollar to hear EC and Tom Petty sing "American Girl", for instance.

Maybe it'd be too much work to sift through all that, but surely there are at least a handful of memorable concerts that EC could release that way-- shows or even single performances that were really great but might not merit a full CD coming out. I hope something like this happens at some point...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

So what live sets would we like to hear ??
For me,
the complete Hollywood High from June 1978,
the 1979 show when he dedicates Radio Radio to the radio station promoting the show (St Louis was it ?)
any of the UK 1980 shows preferably somewhere really off the beaten track like Hastings (where he apparently had a brain-storm and had to leave the stage) or Fishguard or Yeovil
the gigs in the Channel Islands when Steve was absent in 1980
the Palladium shows from February 1981, one of my favourite boots ever,
the complete Hotel Metro show from Aberdeen trying out the Almost Blue material
the complete RAH show with the London Philharmonic orchestra
any complete 1984 solo shows, though my memory of Cardiff is one of spellbinding brilliance
a complete 3 day set from the US 1986 singing songbook tour
and so on.
I'll have to think again for the second series 90-00s !
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I'd love to hear the Eurosolo 1984! Also, Spinning Songbook tour - and I'd especially hope that these live editions are full of the cover versions he chucks into his live shows. Also, would love to hear the Bangles helping him out on Next Time Round.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Neil. wrote: would love to hear the Bangles helping him out on Next Time Round.
Listen to it here. (From Los Angeles 4 Oct 1986)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8bbd ... 38f0aebd0c
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Lester Burnham wrote:I just hope that they've gotten rid of the guy who screams "YEEEEEEEHAW" before, during, and after every song...
No - I love that - makes me smile every time I hear it.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I love that chap too, such enthusiasm and I guess that's why I hope the comments between songs aren't deleted too - "all the students sitting down and going ......"
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

No - I love that - makes me smile every time I hear it
I always picture him as looking like Rob Riggle, that wonderfully unhinged & over-the-top ex-Marine from The Daily Show...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

"Yee-haw" guy is by far (one of) the best thing(s) about this show.

I was listening to this today on the subway and I couldn't stop laughing at the first few seconds of "Little Triggers". Got funny looks.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks, Imposter- that's great! Always wondered what this was like. Will take a listen!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musictap.net/

August 17, 2009

Hip-O Records has Volume 1 of an ongoing series - Elvis Costello: The Costello Shows - arriving on September 29. Volume One will be Live at the El Mocambo, a show recorded on March 6, 1978. The show was a support show for Costello's debut, My Aim Is True, released in 1977. Over 2010 (and perhaps beyond), Hip-O will release the remaining series collection.